• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cost of Amiibo (HINT: It's big)

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Wait... according to the OP they will cost as much as Skylander stuff. Are the least expensive ones 10$?

I personally haven't seen them in a long time but while I was waiting in line for the Best Buy demo's we were standing near an isle with the toys from Disney Infinity. Some of them cost as low as 5$.

If the figures are 5 dollars I'm prepared to buy a lot, lol.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah...or you can buy a ****ing game for $15 over Improved Brawl AI, Skylanders character or Disney Infinity Character. If they made cheaper ones that aren't UFC compatible it would be cute.
Or... you know... I can do what I wanted to do and collect them.
Or are you going to instigate me further for wanting to collect the darn things over buying a cheap game every month?

Besides, I like the Amiibo concept. Sue me.

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
There's many I'd like, but I'm not a figurine collector. I'd probably wait for youtubers to shed some light on how they work, but I'd like one for casuals. So after the full cast is known, I might get one. Unlike collectors, my only desire is to have a flexible unique cpu to play against my siblings with in doubles (there's only three of us so someone's always stuck with a mostly useless cpu.) So contrary to what Nintendo said I'll be overlooking my favorite characters to get the most useful cpu character. But if Chrom gets in the cast and is an Amiibo then usefulness means nothing.

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I'd definitely going to buy one certain character and **** up his face with a candle and have it in my collection to show how much I hate that character.

EDIT: removed certain character for neutral POV.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'll definitely get the ones of characters that don't traditionally get figurines or toys, like Palutena and Chorus kids (if they happen)

I've spent hundreds on pokemon plushes and figma figures, so really, with these being cheaper it makes no sense NOT to get them. Plus, I like the concept of amiibos.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I probably won't get any.

If I do, however, I'll get only two. Pikachu and Lucario.
(if Lucina gets in I'll get three)

Mariobro_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mariobro_WiiU
3DS FC
1805-2375-5612
Switch FC
7913-4114-6709
I'll be getting Lucario, Greninja and Yoshi for sure.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I've got my eye on that Marth Amiibo. It looks gorgeous. And I'll nab Pikachu just because I think he's adorable. Maybe Ike, or Palutena if they make one. Or should I get Kirby...? Zero Suit Samus? Link...?

...Uh-oh. I think there are too many Amiibos I want. And I can't afford them all! *repeated facedesks*

I hate being in college sometimes...

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
It was confirmed that the cost of Amiibo figures would be in the same price range as Skylanders figures ($10-15) so I took the price of a standard Skylanders figure from where I am (£7.99) and did some maths.

To buy all the 14 Amiibo Smash figures shown thus far would cost £111.86. Already deep in Wallet-murder country.
To buy all currently revealed characters, minus the Mii Fighter, would cost £255.68

And now the hypotheticals.
The Cast of Smash 64 would run £95.88
Melee's cast would run £199.75 to £207.74 (depending on Sheik)
The rumoured 47 characters (again not including miis) would run £375.53
And the also rumored 50 characters (Not including Miis again) would be a grand total of £399.50 or in Yakee Doodles, $679.65.

How many do you plan to get?
all of em.

kylexv

Smash Master
It was confirmed that the cost of Amiibo figures would be in the same price range as Skylanders figures ($10-15) so I took the price of a standard Skylanders figure from where I am (£7.99) and did some maths.

To buy all the 14 Amiibo Smash figures shown thus far would cost £111.86. Already deep in Wallet-murder country.
To buy all currently revealed characters, minus the Mii Fighter, would cost £255.68

And now the hypotheticals.
The Cast of Smash 64 would run £95.88
Melee's cast would run £199.75 to £207.74 (depending on Sheik)
The rumoured 47 characters (again not including miis) would run £375.53
And the also rumored 50 characters (Not including Miis again) would be a grand total of £399.50 or in Yakee Doodles, $679.65.

How many do you plan to get?
You know, they aren't making figures of everyone.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Mario, Bowser, Samus, Ridley, Sonic, Megaman...GOD, I WANT THEM ALL!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have no idea what (£) means

But I'd probably eventually buy them all.

If not at the same time

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe I could buy few of them. Likely Pit, a Fire Emblem character and Ganondorf. And maybe Sheik too.

British pounds.
Oh that's the symbol for pounds?

In that case, the cost of the figures doesn't seem that bad

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Thinking I'll get around 5. Four of them being my favorite characters: Luigi, Olimar, Greninja, and Pac-Man, the 5th being whoever I end up maining.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I will probably just limit it to the characters I main and like if I decide to collect a few, even if I don't use them for Smash, they will certainly be wonderful collectors items.

Really liking Peach's Amiibo.

D

Deleted member

I will probably pick up at least one, especially if they make a Greninja amiibo. If the AI is actually useful, then I might pick up the figure of the biggest counterpick of my main(s). I'm a huge sucker for these collectible figure type things though, and when they showed the clip of the Melee intro.... Curse you Nintendo. I'm already going to be buying the adapter, a pro controller, and both versions of the game. How much of my money do you want?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Poots

Smash Journeyman
I recall them saying they want to make an amiibo for every character and different sizes are a possibility. I already know I want Olimar, Rosalina, Peach, Bowser, Ness and a few others. Hopefully they will release tiny ones for dirt cheap so I can buy bigger ones of my favs.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Good thing I have no interest in figurines, because there is no way in hell I would pay $15 for a piece of plastic.
I just want my Females of Smash Brothers figurines.

Don't judge me.
Creepy.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I'd definitely going to buy one certain character and **** up his face with a candle and have it in my collection to show how much I hate that character.

EDIT: removed certain character for neutral POV.
Was it Sonic?

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'll probably get one with each paycheck. The ones I know I'll want are Palutena, Link, Luigi, Marth, Peach, Zelda, Greninja, and Chrom and Shulk if the Sal Romano leak continues to be true.

But the collectors itch won't likely leave that easily, so I may end up getting more.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hmmmm.

From the looks of things, I'll just have to get the amiibos of my favorite characters. If I get them all, I would be broke.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I might get my favorite characters over time, $10 a piece isn't too bad when you compare to other figurines/collectibles.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I don't plan on buying any. I really don't care for the whole figurine trend in gaming, and I have no use for them as standalone toys. So I'll be saving my money.

KatKit

Smash Lord
If the price of Amiibos are too big, I can't fathom the cost of a Ridley one.

In all seriousness, I'd buy a couple of Zelda, Kid Icarus, and Metroid ones, and that is it. I wouldn't spend more than $25 total. It's pretty cool to own, and they have an actual gaming function, so I think it's worth it.

I'm going to wait for the inevitable price drop though.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Oh goodness. I plan to buy them all. I love collecting figures. It's a real weakness at times. Not even necessarily because I like figures, but because I love collecting everything in a set.

Seeing how Smash is one of my favorite game series of all time, I think it'll be worthwhile to me to get the entire set of figures. I'm probably even going to make a display case for them. I'm excited! :3

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Oh gawd, How am I gonna convince my friends that I got a Zero Suit Samus figure for totally non sexual reasons?

If ZSS does turn out to be top tier, than I'd want to train against her level 50 amiibo cpu

I want to see what function these figures serve in other games first. For one thing some of them (*cough* Mario *cough*) are more apt to be more useful then others across the board (*cough* Wii Fit Trainer *cough*). Unless they make separate figures for each game regardless, but it doesn't sound like they want to do that. I'll probably get 1. 3 at most.
Mr. Mumbles brings up a good point, some figures may be compatible with more games. Like it goes without saying that you could use the Mario figure in Smash, Mario Kart, and Mario Party. Maybe the Wii Fit Trainer could be used in Wii Fit, but would Game & Watch be useful in anything besides smash?

Now that I think about it, what exactly would Mr. G&W's figure look like?
And would a simple one colored almost flat character like G&W be the same price as a highly detailed 3 dimensional Captain Falcon figure?

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm not gonna lie, but it sounds like a lot of people are trying to buy in bulk.

You can buy figurines over time you know.

spare $10 a paycheck, or mow some lawns....

That is, assuming you really want them.

I've got my money budgeted out for the next few months and I ain't got no time for amiibos unless they gain some even greater functionality.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm wondering if 3rd Party Amiibos will even be available. I really want a Megaman one, but I feel like it may not be possible. And to a lesser degree I want Pac-Man and Sonic as well. Namco may allow it, given their collaboration for this game. And Sega and Nintendo seem to be on good terms too. I'm really just worried about Capcom's say in this.

Top Bottom