• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cost of Amiibo (HINT: It's big)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty sure there will be bundles with the game and "Packs" aplenty. Such as a "Mario franchise" pack to help reduce the cost of buying multiple figures. I wouldn't mind paying €25 for all 5 Mario reps or something.

In terms of who I absolutely MUST have, Kirby, Sonic, Toon Link, Mega Man, and Rosalina are my 5 that I must have.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
I'm not able to post links yet, but they're available for pre-order now on ShopTo.net for £12.85 each.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
That including taxes or not?
I'm not sure. Its probably not the final price tag, but I think its a safe assumption that it will be around there in the end. The link Jade Rock posted above is the one I was referring to though.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I won't buy any. I'll ask them as christmas present.

...Or most likely wait until I get a job. (In other words, when the 10DS is released)

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
It's likely that I'll get the Amiibo figure for Samus sheerly for the fact that it's Samus, rather than any need for a CPU bot. Marth also remains the possibility, but the rest are probably a no-go. Not at that individual pricing, anyway.

Xigger

Smash Lord
  • They're really awesome figurines to collect
  • One of the first "official" Smash merchandise
  • I can summon CPUs in-game to beat up my friends, and they're much harder than normal Smash CPUs

I'd buy a few, personal favorites for me or to pick on my friends.

But since I'm the world's biggest Smash Bros. fan, I'm buying about $679.65 Yakee Doodles worth.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
My goal is to collect them all. Train against them and level them all to 50. I hope they actually make each one for each character. The OCD in me would feel off if I owned them all but a few third party characters. Plus they will have value in other games, hopefully virtual console games as well.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
There is going to be separate Ambiibos for the 3DS and Wii U version?

Does skylanders work that way? I don't think it does
It was my understanding that Amiibos worked across both platforms, but the 3DS required an extra peripheral in order to scan them in.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm going to try to get them all.
Even if it costs a lot, it will be worth it.
Stuff like this will be worth A LOT in a few years.

When I'm an adult and need money, I'll probably be able to sell them for at least $100 each.
With a 50 character roster, that equals $5,000.
Not to mention they will be the first Amiibo, so I will be able to sell them as "First Edition."

Seriously, a First Edition Charizard card goes for AT LEAST $100, with the holo being about $500! Both can go up to $1,000 if they are kept in a special mint case or something.

Just shows how much people are willing to pay for a video game collectible that was once common.
I should probably buy a couple extras and keep them in the box......

Investment for the win.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Not sure if I should buy all of them. I'll wait and see who top tier is, train with them and become the best around.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
What on earth is this:

From the EB Games AU website. That is literally double what I thought it would cost. Granted, it's just a placeholder price, but I hope this goes down. I won't be able to get more than two if I want to keep playing other games...

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What on earth is this:

From the EB Games AU website. That is literally double what I thought it would cost. Granted, it's just a placeholder price, but I hope this goes down. I won't be able to get more than two if I want to keep playing other games...
0_0; I hope that is the placeholder price, goodness gracious.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I just want Shulk, Palutena and Rosalina figures. I won't feel too bad about it in the end.

Edit: Although holy ****, I hope 30 bucks is a placeholder, or else Shulk's going to be all by himself.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This is why I don't belive in pre-orders. If you pre-order it now and the price goes down do they keep the extra mony?

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
This is why I don't belive in pre-orders. If you pre-order it now and the price goes down do they keep the extra mony?
Some retailers have a pre order price guarantee so the buyer ends up with the lower price tag. They also usually don't charge until closer to release. But it's still best to just wait it out until we get an official price from Nintendo.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Remember, that's $30 in Australia, where despite the fact the USD and AUD are near the-same at present, this is the pricing of other Smash goodies:

I wouldn't worry too much about it... for now.

Last edited:

Rayquaza487

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rayquaza487
What on earth is this:

That's because it's EB Games Australia. Their prices are always higher do to currency exchange IIRC. I remember seeing Watch Dogs for like $99 on their site, but it was only $60 in America, nearly 40 dollar difference.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Remember, that's $30 in Australia, where despite the fact the USD and AUD are near the-same at present, this is the pricing of other Smash goodies:

$70 for a Gamecube controller and $50 for an adapter? The hell?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Australia is notorious for this - hence why most of us here get everything from overseas. :p

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Based on the AU prices, I can see the figures being around $10-15, like originally estimated in the first post.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

These prices are so criminally big that even ridley is smaller than them.

Sheesh.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Hoping the Smash Amiibos each come with respective virtual console titles. That'd help the value go up as well!

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
These prices are so criminally big that even ridley is smaller than them.

Sheesh.
Yeah. The one good thing about their pricing is that they price match to any lower price for their items you can find; I pre-ordered my copy of Smash from them for $70 rather than $80. For the adapter and controller, though, I got both for a total of ~$50 with shipping from Amazon. :p I'll be getting my amiibo from somewhere else by the looks of it.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Yeah. The one good thing about their pricing is that they price match to any lower price for their items you can find; I pre-ordered my copy of Smash from them for $70 rather than $80. For the adapter and controller, though, I got both for a total of ~$50 with shipping from Amazon. :p I'll be getting my amiibo from somewhere else by the looks of it.
thats still $20 too expensive for me.

Waiting for the release that comes with the controller, adapter , and game for $100.

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617

I hate it that we in Australia always get charged 1.5 to 2.5 times the price that those in America get charged, our dollars are pretty much always very close to parody. And it is not just video games, electronics get marked way up, and card games always get marked up by 2 to 4 times.
Well the Adapter is almost certainly region free, and the Controller is definitely, so I guess I will be importing these.

That's because it's EB Games Australia. Their prices are always higher do to currency exchange IIRC. I remember seeing Watch Dogs for like $99 on their site, but it was only $60 in America, nearly 40 dollar difference.
Currently $1 AUD = $0.94 USD, a difference of 6% does not equate to the mark ups we get, the latest "Triple A" games are $60 USD but are normally between $99.95 to $119.95 AUD, a rise of at least 66.6%.
6%=/=66.6%

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Hmmmm.....
So if that's a $40 difference from Australia to America, then if the Amiibo costs $30 in Australia.........THEY WILL COST -$10 IN AMERICA!!!!

THEY ARE GOING TO PAY US $10 FOR EACH AMIIBO!!!!!

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Well, at this rate, none.

Let me put it this way. Let's say I get two figurines (So, Mr. G&W and Villager), which would be around 20-30 dollars. Now, most likely I would spend maybe a couple hours with them before putting them on a shelf.

However, with that same money, I could get:
A bunch of Virtual Console titles.
A couple newer digital releases.
A retail game.

All of which would not only last longer but would also be more appeasing than glorified AI.
What happens if a tournament scene revolves around the figures though. From the short amount of gameplay we've seen I think its actually a possibility.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
I plan on getting them al
Not at all. They will be used for training or friendlies and nothing more.
You and I both know its too early to make a statement like that.Is it likely? No, but I wouldn't sell the idea short.The small amount of gameplay we got with the amiibo's looked fast, fast with a lot of combo possibilities, and if it doesn't end up being unbalanced when the characters are completely lvl'd up.I could honestly see this becoming a side tournament thing, especially if the mode ends up being fun.Its a crazy concept, and far from anything else previous in the series.+ My original comment was more of a "what if" situation. :)

Top Bottom