• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Counter Game III: READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING. Join the fun!

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
U-turn is a valid move, you just stay in and use it. There is no legitimate reason for U-turn to be banned either way, as it is just a 70 bp physical bug-type move when there's just one pokemon out. If it's banned that rule should be changed because there's no real reason for an attack move to be banned.

Looking at that banned move list a few of those other things don't particularly make sense as for being banned. Why not allow Pursuit? It would be a 40 bp move anyway because there is no switching involved, but it's a valid move nonetheless. Why not allow Foresight and Miracle Eye? It's a legitimate tool for a fighting/psychic type to hit switching counters.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Don't question it, kirbyraeg.

But since WouW is gone... I guess changes wouldn't be a bad thing. IF IF IF we are to change anything, I want Choice items back, but with more stringent rules.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Ninetales...Wailord was meant to counter Spiritomb. Those other counters didn't fail; they were clearly not meant to counter Ninetales. You get +5 for Wailord because I failed to declare a target.
+5 for the NU will cause people to use suicidally specialized NUs to net bonus points, breaking the game.
Now, against Sunny Day Exeggutor:
Golduck w/Focus Sash
Rash/Cloud Nine
240 Atk./ 70 Sp. Atk./ 200 Speed
+ Signal Beam
+ Calm Mind
+ Hydro Pump
+ Cross Chop
You stall out; I crash.
SCORE!
OU, BL+1 UU+2 NU+3 Counter Fail+5 Tier below defender+1 (NU, UU, BL, OU)
jigglyppuff8 - 4
kirbyraeg - 14
Melfice z - 23
Metal~Mario - 22 +5!
mood4food77 - 4
Moozle - 6
Pink Reaper - 0
Platypus - 19
Riddle - 15
RuNNing Riot - 5
Sir Bedevere - 5
Terywj - 17 +5! +5!!
The Real Gamer - 4
The Wrath of Koarin - 2
UltiMario - 13
Wave+ - 7

Melfice z

Smash Ace
Ive gotta back up Kirbyraeg on his ideas for change... the moves dont need to be necessarily banned but theres no real use for pursuit outside of trapping! And what ideas do you have for choice items Tery?

Tangrowth@leftovers
modest/clorophyll
252 Def/ 128HP/128spd
-knock off
-sunny day
-synthesis
-solar beam

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Guess I should have run more Speed. Against Dusclops:
Bibarel w/Leftovers
Brave/Unaware
30 HP/ 240 Atk./ 240 Sp. Def.
+ Curse
+ Double-edge
+ Pluck
+ Aqua Tail
It might have been a good idea to run Calm Dusclops and put the EVs in Special Attack...

SCORE!
OU, BL+1 UU+2 NU+3 Counter Fail+5 Tier below defender+1 (NU, UU, BL, OU)
jigglyppuff8 - 4
kirbyraeg - 16
Melfice z - 26
Metal~Mario - 27
mood4food77 - 4
Moozle - 6
Pink Reaper - 0
Platypus - 24
Riddle - 15
RuNNing Riot - 5
Sir Bedevere - 5
Terywj - 27
The Real Gamer - 4
The Wrath of Koarin - 2
UltiMario - 13
Wave+ - 7

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
I did some thinking about U-turn last night.

And I'll keep it banned, because if you use U-turn, then you leave the fight, meaning you can't beat your opponent without leaving battle, unless you use it as the kill move or we assume you have no remaining pokes, which is impossible, given we are countering and therefore switching out to someone else.

My theory on U-turn. If you can give a better argument for including it, I'll listen. I could also allow it only as a killing move or just negate its secondary effect.

Pursuit doesn't really matter, since it's so weak, anyway.

I'll look into everything else on the rules. If any of you have any changes you want to make to the rules, either list them here or PM me.

Platy, can you PM me your score system? No matter how many times you post it here, it still confuses me. :confused:

I'll list a counter to Bibarel in a moment.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
U-Turn should only be allowed if it finishes off the opponent.
Pursuit should not be allowed to be used the first turn by the counterer.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Moltres@Leftovers
Modest/Pressure
252HP/252SpA/4Spe
HP Water
Air Slash
Fire Blast
Toxic

HP Water = Lololololo

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
^K.

I was going to, but Platy's system confuses me more than Spinda.

/shamelesspokepun
It's not that hard to understand.

You get points depending on the tier of the Pokemon you are using to counter.
+1 for OU / BL
+2 for UU
+3 for NU

If someone following you fails to post a viable counter you get +5.

If you're using a Pokemon from the same tier as the Pokemon you are countering, you don't get any bonus points. However, if you use a Pokemon one tier lower than the Pokemon you're countering you get +1.
BL Pokemon countering OU: +1
UU Pokemon countering BL: +1
NU Pokemon countering UU: +1
UU Pokemon countering OU: +2
NU Pokemon countering BL: +2
NU Pokemon countering OU: +3
(BL counts as a separate tier for this extra scoring case)

That's really about it. Therefore the maximum amount of points on a single counter is a +11 if you use a NU Pokemon to successfully counter an OU and have the following counter fail.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Huh.

Well, I've got the feeling Platy miscalculated my score somewhere. That's why I was confused.

Sure. I'll put it into the OP now.

I'll keep scores as current as humanly possible.

What do you think about U-turn/Pursuit/Choice Items?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
U-turn/Pursuit/Choice Items should be allowed
We just discussed the problems with this a page or two ago. Choice items would be too ridiculous. If we allowed them, we have to change other rules regarding "everything goes best for Pokemon being countered, and vice versa" because if the Pokemon in line to counter was say immune to that then we'd have to assume another move to be in use, which you cannot do with Choice items.

That's my take on it.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I did some thinking about U-turn last night.

And I'll keep it banned, because if you use U-turn, then you leave the fight, meaning you can't beat your opponent without leaving battle, unless you use it as the kill move or we assume you have no remaining pokes, which is impossible, given we are countering and therefore switching out to someone else.

My theory on U-turn. If you can give a better argument for including it, I'll listen. I could also allow it only as a killing move or just negate its secondary effect.
The reason to include U-turn is since this counter game is just treating the battle as a 1v1 situation, its secondary effect wouldn't come into play. When you have only one pokemon left, U-turn works as a normal attack would and there is no secondary switching effect.

P.S.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Impish / Water Absorb

Earthquake
Toxic
Recover
Encore

Riddle

Smash Lord
We just discussed the problems with this a page or two ago. Choice items would be too ridiculous. If we allowed them, we have to change other rules regarding "everything goes best for Pokemon being countered, and vice versa" because if the Pokemon in line to counter was say immune to that then we'd have to assume another move to be in use, which you cannot do with Choice items.

That's my take on it.
I don't see why choice items change this. Just use the right move. The rules don't affect move-choice and each counter battle is taken anew so what you used against the previous pokemon is also irrelevant.

Top Bottom