• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The CPU is tweaked in Brawl

MissingDjinn

Smash Rookie
(I hope I am not posting something someone has already posted. If I do, just let me know where. )

Well, with that off my chest, I wanted to ask, did anyone notice that the CPU has been tweaked up. I mean, I used to gimp level nines so easy with at least three stock. Now I can hardly gimp one. Maybe it is just me, but if anyone agrees or disagrees, let me know. :confused:

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone else is going to agree - I'm sure some egos wont allow it - but I have to agree. The Level 4's actually give me trouble sometimes now - which is very weird. I wouldn't dream of fighting a level nine right now. Of course, maybe it's just 'cause Brawl is new and I'm just not good enough yet?

But yeah, I totally agree. CPU is totally buffed...

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Level 9s have inhuman reaction speed, which is why you believe they are buffed..

the melee level 9s reaction time was a little above ours.. but not enough for someone with skill to punish them... the brawl level 9s have a reaction time which our brains couldn't process fast enough... so basically you have to think 2 steps ahead of yourself...

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Yes the computer is harder. Mainly because they can they are able to react way faster than us. They also seem to shield and roll more often.

Wheatpenny

Smash Rookie
Oh I love how fun fighting 2 Ganons at once during the events on normal was. I had to go back and make sure I didn't start it on hard.

fluffy

Smash Champion
Guys, you do realize that the game is out for only a week right? And that brawl is a different game from melee. You've played melee for how long? 7 years? Imagine how much easier the computers will get in brawl after a month. Or even a year.

Krisan Thyme

Smash Rookie
Maybe I'm just wholly better at Brawl than I was at Melee, but I feel level 9's have actually gotten considerably easier. And I say this because I know I had difficulty with melee's higher level CPU for quite sometime (month's perhaps) after purchase of the game - and in fact I'm not sure I ever really got used to fighting level 9's there, whereas here.. I've consistently been able to beat a level 9 without too much trouble. (Amusingly, I was able to do so within a day or two of owning the game.. That's a huge difference from melee.)

Again, I might just be better at Brawl than I think I am or something.. But I always regarded myself as a pretty poor player in this series for the most part. And I doubt it has anything to do with experience from melee helping me out here, since I hadn't actually played Melee in over a year's time now, and felt pretty green all over again when going into Brawl.

Mind you, I do think the overall lower level CPU in Brawl is more difficult in comparison to the lower level CPU in Melee.. but eh, when it comes down to comparing the level 9's, I'm just not finding myself scared of em in this installment. (not that I see that as a bad thing, though.)

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
They're certainly more creative. The best improvement I've seen is how they get up from pratfalling, they don't just automatically do something - they'll wait and time it to avoid getting hit.

I'm just happy that the computers can recover with Ness and Lucas. Sadly, Yoshi is possibly more ******** of a CPU than before.

TheLake

Smash Master
Its neat that they do "competitive" tactics now. Like jiggz will actually wall of pain you and ness will B with to edgeguard effectivly. Its like the develepors couldnt be creative when making Cpus so they saw melee's tactics and applied them to the new Lvl 9's lol....kinda ironic eh?

Anyhoot I think they are a blast to play now. Playing them wont make you worst anymore ^_^ at least as far as i can tell....

redeyedol

Smash Cadet
I will admit this, I'm a serious vet of SSB64 and I'm very experienced with Melee but... level 9 Diddy Kong whooped my *** first time I decided to play a CPU. That somewhat frightened me. Actually, I was in shock for about a whole 5 minutes after my ego had been destroyed by a mere AI player. However, after ownin the game for over 2 days now, they're no longer hard. In a 3 stock match, I can beat em without losin any of my lives, although they will damage me quite a bit. Annoyin lil *******s..

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i think they are tweaked, i mean they air dodge more, side dodge more, they don't run at you when you are charging a smash attack, they run for most items (smash ball, ATs) now and not just the pokeball and hammers, and yes, i have lost to them in brawl when i never lost to them in melee..i think it may just be we aren't used to the new style of CPU in brawl and once we understand how they respond it will be easier to fight them

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree, I used to train in freeforall lvl 9s but now I can't do so well in that anymore. One thing I've noticed is that even though it's freeforall they do tend to gang up on you A LOT. I've watched three ais edgehog against me without ever attacking each other.

And I've noticed that their ability to guard and dodge attacks has gone up significantly since melee.

On a random note, why is a normal a lvl 3? Shouldn't normal be level 5 since it's the central ai?

Teevo

Smash Rookie
I completely agree... what's more distressing is I was just training a little as Zamus, and I was doing one on one's with level nines... I was winning all of them... until I went up against Toon Link. For the life of me I couldn't beat him, I fought him like 5 times. I eventually tried as Toon Link myself, who I'm best with, and just barely won.

I find it frustrating being on par with a computer... I hope it doesn't mean I just plain suck.... :ohwell:

Edit: Scratch that, I just went back and beat him easily with Zamus, and then beat him even easier with Olimar. I dunno what was up with that.... Man I'm cool.

mzero00X

Smash Rookie
When I first played Melee, I had a hard time beating Level 9's. They too were a step up from the Level 9's of SSB64. 6 years later, Level 9's in Melee are a joke. It will eventually happen in Brawl too regardless of how tweaked the CPU might be. We'll always find a way to adapt.

Max780

Smash Apprentice
(I hope I am not posting something someone has already posted. If I do, just let me know where. )

Well, with that off my chest, I wanted to ask, did anyone notice that the CPU has been tweaked up. I mean, I used to gimp level nines so easy with at least three stock. Now I can hardly gimp one. Maybe it is just me, but if anyone agrees or disagrees, let me know. :confused:
There easily more of a Challenge this time around.

Timeaisis

Smash Cadet
Level 9s definately react alot faster in Brawl, as someone above me said. Its not that their more intelligent, or harder, per se, but they do react alot quicker, and shield alot more...

I did notice a lvl 9 cpu edgehoging once...that little *******.

But yeah, they're tweaked up.

MissingDjinn

Smash Rookie
I know I am responding to my own thread but I actually finally pwned a level 9 ganondorf with toon link. Go figure it was the last person I tried, I even am pretty good with pokemon trainer. AS I said, go figure.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
I find level 9s to be a bit easier in Brawl. I'm surprised to hear some people think they have faster reaction time... maybe it's because they actually do stuff instead of just sit there and powershield everything? Hehe

However the lower level CPUs are tougher and not nearly as lazy / stupid as they were in Melee. It's made the single player modes a bit less of a snooze-fest.

In any case, I'm just glad they use varying tactics this time around. Or at least they seem less predictable. Sometimes they shield projectiles but sometimes they jump over them and kick you in the face. And they edgehog and spike you off the stage sometimes. Etc.

Top Bottom