• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Death of the Simple Stage

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Skyworld, Shadow Moses Island, and New Pork City all appear to be relatively static. And looking at videos and such, I'd say many of the changing stages are more on the order of Mute City than Rainbow Cruise - you're not really fighting a moving camera.

But yeah, also what the last guy said. ^_^ (Edit: the guy before the last guy now. XD)

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
Not at all. I think they've found the perfect balance between simplicity and complexity. Smash Bros. 64 had stages that were too basic, but the crazy stages like Rainbow Cruise in Melee were too complex. Stages like Castle Seige, Delfino Plaza and Skyworld have found the perfect balance; they are interactive and dynamic, but aren't blatantly unfair because of overwhelming obstacles ("overwhelming obstacles being things like acid, bomb blocks and those freakin' annoying vehicles in Onett). I would be none too pleased if they started announcing too many uninteractive, "boring" stages like Battlefield.

If you want basic, fair brawling grounds, then the Stage Editor is something you should consider.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Only problem with stage builder is for tournaments. Some people might complain about not knowing a stage or having it before competing on it. -.- It's stupid, but it'll happen, I guarantee it.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Static:
Battlefield
Bridge of Eldin
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Norfair
Skyworld
NP City

About the only one that looks crazy is Norfair, because of the lava (but it looks cool, so it's not that bad I guess). NP City sounds iffy because of the Chimera (sp?), but the stage is so big that you probably avoid it with ease.

Dynamic stages:
Delfino Plaza
Rumble Falls
The Summit
Castle Siege
Poke'mon Stadium
Halberd
WarioWare
Pictochat
Shadow Moses

DP, Halberd, and CS are cool and aren't so bad you would want to quit fighting fourty seconds into it. Poke'mon Stadium 2 looks as bad as the first IMO and the rest are up in the air right now.

Honestly, the stages showed so far don't look nearly as crappy as the majority of Melee's were. In Melee, about 80% of all the stages had:

A) a ******* obstacle
B) camera issues
C) both

Here's to hoping Brawl has better default stages to choose from. If not, then there's always the stage editor. :)

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I'm hoping for tons of variety in levels. Out of 21 Icons so far we have 1 stage for 17 of the Icons.

Only 4 without a stage:

Icon 5 - F-zero
Icon 13 (I assume will be Game & Watch)
Icon 19 (New Comer)
Icon 20 - Sonic

So I'm sure there will be more creative levels
As for simplistic levels, Stage Builder is always an option.

IllidR

Smash Champion
With some of these more complex stages I'm sure there will be more static stages to complement them. Sakurai probably is trying to get out the more exciting one to attract people to the flair of these new stages. Rest assured we'll be getting some simple stages.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Skyworld, Shadow Moses Island, and New Pork City all appear to be relatively static. QUOTE]

woah woah woah. only half of those are simple stages.

Shadow Moses Island= Destroyable walls

Bridge of Eldin= Destroyable ground/hazards

Skyworld is completely destroyable

New pork City=Hazard dragon Horse Cow Chimera gyuy

That dosent sound -too- simple too me.

Im not saying your completely wrong. there are way advanced stages. like No-fair and Castle siege. but you definately didnt name the most simple stages.

Battlefeild and Yoshi's Island change time of day or whatever. thats as simple as it gets.

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Skyworld, Shadow Moses Island, and New Pork City all appear to be relatively static.
woah woah woah. only half of those are simple stages.

Shadow Moses Island= Destroyable walls

Bridge of Eldin= Destroyable ground/hazards

Skyworld is completely destroyable

New pork City=Hazard dragon Horse Cow Chimera gyuy

That dosent sound -too- simple too me.

Im not saying your completely wrong. there are way advanced stages. like No-fair and Castle siege. but you definately didnt name the most simple stages.

Battlefeild and Yoshi's Island change time of day or whatever. thats as simple as it gets.
I was saying static, specifically, not necessarily blank. None of those are so complicated that I'd lump them in with Rainbow Cruise or Poke Floats.

Darkurai

Smash Master
First people complain stages are too simple.

Now you complain they're not simple enough!

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS

Magnacor

Smash Ace
They are obviously trying to show the complex stages first to raise the hype. The average fan wouldn't be too excited to see Final Destination and Battlefield like stages all over the place. They will likely show more simple stages later, but for now we're going to be seeing these fancier, trap-littered stages.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
We have stage creator. There should be no problem now. Now we need stages that would be impossible to make in stage builder.

Xigger

Smash Lord
There's no need for a simple stage anymore! Thanks to the Stage Builder, we can make those on our own!

NinjaRooster

Smash Cadet
Only problem with stage builder is for tournaments. Some people might complain about not knowing a stage or having it before competing on it. -.- It's stupid, but it'll happen, I guarantee it.
everyone who enters could just be sent the stage like a week or two before the tournament so that everyone can get used to fighting on it...

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
I like dynamic stages, my favorite ones were Rainbow Cruise and Big Blue.
But most of these stages look more epic than anything.

Personally, I'd like one that has all of the ships from the series in an epic dogfight, where you have to leap from ship to ship during battle.

Taking place over Multiple castles too (Bowser's, Hyrule, Any from Fire Emblem) as well as other locales (Cities from Earthbound/Pokemon)

So no, I like dynamic stages, and the increase in them is great.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
The purpose of the website is to hype the game beyond belief.

Can you imagine putting Final Destination as a website update?

"This is Final Destination. It's... flat."

WOW THAT WOULD MAKE SO MANY PEOPLE SO EXCITED.

Ritalin

Smash Rookie
Thanks to stage creator, not a ****ing chance.

Here's a pic of the stage all of you are going to make

very exciting and creative, you sure have inovative minds!

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
you don't need lots of static stages. static stages don't move, they don't change, while you can have a wide array of stages, the only time you would need them static is for competitive play. about 6-7 stages would give you choice while keeping everything fair, after that, something they put in is going to give an advantage to someone, and it's going to get banned.

for dynamic stages, it's about change, even having 20 you can keep having more. different characters will have advantages at different times as it's always changing, and you can keep making them, you could have the same stage run backwards and it would be a whole new experience.

how many static stages can you make before they are all the same as some other one that was made?

you have stage builder anyway, which will be unlikely to be able to make dynamic stages. say there are 30 dynamic stages in brawl and 5 static, stage builder means there will be millions of different statics made, while only 30 dynamics.

courte

Smash Lord
i could see an easy yet blech fix for tourney... a univesal smash tourney custom stage outline... it would be posted on the boards in one of the official stage threads and pretty much be the "it" thing basic outline and easy to create so that every tourney would already have it
Here's a pic of the stage all of you are going to make

very exciting and creative, you sure have inovative minds!

hahaha rofl i love it... the jab i mean--ill probably only pick that stage for epic swordsman battles because smash needs an Lightning Australia!!... sorry for that street fighter reference i doubt anyone will get it though

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
About half of the stages so far are actually static. They just have obstacles, like the Chimer.....the Goblins in Eldin. Most of Melee's were like this.

Top Bottom