• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The definition of a mindgame...

red stone

Smash Ace
ok, please help me come up with a definitive definition for mindgame.

at first, i was going to go with "anything you do in a match to win"

however, that can't apply to everything. if melee was won only by getting a single hit in, then yes, that definition would suffice. for example, when you chaingrab with a character, i don't think it is a mindgame. you are merely continuing with a series of throws. you are not tricking your opponent. however, you are conditioning them to be afraid of the grab.

which brings me to another point, do conditioning and mindgames go hand in hand? i personally think they do. say you go for the ledge 3 times after flying off, but then go over your opponent the 4th time. your opponent expected another ledge attempt but didn't get it. but then there's reverse conditioning. your opponent might have expected you to go over the 4th time and conditioned you into thinking that going over would work.

back to the "not everything is a mindgame" subject. what about other things that are the complete opposite of mindgames, such as infinite shining, tech chasing, or just continuing combos. then there's just spamming stuff like lasers or d smash. these are things that you do in matches, but they most certainly not mindgames, just techs.

some people may argue that mindgames are as simple as wavedashing back, charging in with a shield, dash dancing, double jumping, aerial stalling, and stuff like that. this is all fine and dandy, but mindgames go deeper than this i believe. i usually look for patterns.

then there are more outrageous and complicated mindgames. you don't see this very often, but at times, maybe someone will trick someone or move in a way to make their opponent suicide. then there's another kind of conditioning. i call it false stupidation. one person could fall for a certain thing the other person is doing many times, but on purpose, then at a crucial point in the match, knowing the exact counter to the tech, tricks the person into doing the now useless tech and punishes them.

not everyone thinks this deep though. sure the pros think generally, look for patterns, condition their opponents, and makes a case for each opponent, but what about impulse players that just attack everything they see in front of them. and what if they win like that? does that mean they also used mindgames?

that's why the definition, "anything you do to get a hit or grab in" may not work

ok, then there's manipulation of mental state. say you play an defensive game with lots of sheilding and spacing, then you suddenly swith to an aggressive style midway through the match. this may catch your opponent by surprise and screw up their mindset, thus eventually leading to your victory.

what if you play a high pressure game, enough to make them screw up a lot. sometimes, you can play in a way that just makes the opponent give up, which makes the rest of the matches easy for you.

what about missed mindgames, let's say you wavedash back, but still get hit. was that a failed mindgame? does that mean that everytime you get hit, you failed a mindgame?

say two people rush each other to hit each other but when both players try to hit each other, one person's hitbox gets the opponent while the other person does not. was that a successful mindgame? was it a mindgame at all?

"mindgames are everything...and nothing" wow, what a conclusion!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
G-regulate said:
Mindgames cannot really be defined; there are infinite variables as to how mindgames work. It's more than just "tricking your opponent into being where you want them". It's an application of technical skill, mixed with predictions of how your opponent will react. It begins to be less of a prediction, and more of a manipulation of your opponent."
I got that from this link.

mog87

Smash Ace
We've done this before... A mod should just sticky my old "Mindgames don't exist" thread.

mog87

Smash Ace
Mindgames do Exist and you are among the few that think they dont
The way you manipulate your opponet is based off of what you can do.
whether they do or they dont...is not the point I was making here. What I was saying was that all the definitions of what is and what isnt where thrown around for 11 pages or so besides its a fun read and beats having the same repetitive subject come up again. Anyhow its all rock paper scissors anyway.

Smash Master
Mindgame: any move you make knowing that the maneuver is not the best option given the assumption that the opponent is equally likely to use any one of his/her options.

the.letter.y

Smash Cadet
I think mindgames go even outside the game. I mean, for you men out there, if your opponent was some girl wearing booty shorts and a low-cut top, would you really concentrate so much on the game? :laugh: Girl power, w00t!

mog87

Smash Ace
I think mindgames go even outside the game. I mean, for you men out there, if your opponent was some girl wearing booty shorts and a low-cut top, would you really concentrate so much on the game? :laugh: Girl power, w00t!
wouldnt matter shes a girl so she sucks anyway...

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
If my opponents in a position and I benefit from it Its a mindgame?
If your opponent happens to be in a position you can benefit from when you really didn't do anything to put him there then you didn't mindgame anyone, its just bad spacing from your opponent.

Ah, So if I combo them onto a platform and punish them afterwards I'm mindgaming?

If you forcefully combo your opponent into a position where you can benefit from it, it cannot be classified as a mindgame because your technical skill doesn't have anything to do with the mind of your opponent.

If I run forward and Wavedash backwards its a mindgame?
No. Thats just running forward and wavedashing backwards.

Ok, but what if I wavedash back once, then the next time I don’t and after that I do again?
That still isn’t a mind game unless you know what reaction you’re provoking.

If I randomly up+B and hit my opponent, its a mindgame?
Random hits are accidents, accidents are NEVER mindgames.

What the hell is it then :confused:, give me an example?
Using mindgames is nothing more than using your opponents mind as a weapon against him. You use the way he thinks, his logic, to YOUR advantage. You create a situation where you know how he'll react and exploit that reaction. (You can figure out how people will react by analysing them during the match)

Here's an example:

You play Marth on Yoshi's story and grab your opponent under the right platform --->Here<--- at 40% with your back facing to the right of the screen.
The best course of action (and the most obvious one) would be to get your opponent on the right platform with a backthrow because it leads to an easy tipper right? Against a total scrub it would be, but by analysing your opponent during the match you realised he's not a total noob, he has basic knowledge and understanding of how the game works, so he'll most likely try to prevent landing on that platform at all costs.
So what will he do to prevent landing on that platform?*This is the key part of any mindgame*
He'll do the only possible thing he can do to not land on the platform, DI to the right so he'll fall of stage.
With that in mind you forward throw him to the left and effectively using his preventive DI to your advantage, because his DI that he thought would save his life turned into the perfect setup for a tipper.

So consciously creating and exploiting situations like this is using mindgames.
Well, that’s my definition at least.
This is a pretty basic example though, it can get alot more complex.
The only conditions in this scenario are Percentage, character and position relative to the stage. In a real match you have to take repetion into account as well along with some other factors.

Every other form of hitting people is either:
1) Due to offensive mistakes by your opponent wich you abuse (Bad spacing, technical errors (missing L-cancels/ accidentally transforming into Zelda :p etc))

2) Due to defensive mistakes by your opponent which you abuse (Excessive rolling/spot dodging, trying to shield grab when its simply not possible, etc)

3) Good offensive play (Shield stabs, bashing shields (with good spacing) until they can’t use it anymore, etc))

4) Accidental (Anything you didn’t want to do that hits your opponent)

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
Chinese History lesson on mindgames:
Zhuge Liang was a strategist for the Shu, and Sima Yi was a general for the Wei. Now Zhuge Liang was uber pro at mind games. He would constantly feint enemies, purposely lose battles to take advantage of enemy hubris and ensnare them, and even use psychology at his advantage. He was pretty pro. Well, one day, Zhuge Liang was with very few men (I think less than a hundred) at a fortress, when scouts reported Sima Yi approaching with a large army. Zhuge Liang's men were like oh****wherearethereinforcements. But Zhuge Liang's like we don't need them with my pro mindgames. He ordered the gates of the fortress open and was started to play his Asian equivalent of a piano at the gate. Sima Yi arrived and was like, "wtf is he playing piano?". Because of Liang's reputation as a master of mind games, Sima Yi decided not to attack because he thought it was a trap. Admiral Ackbar would be proud. Unfortunately, it really wasn't a trap, but actually was uber mind games. Zhuge Liang won because he got out as soon as night fell and Sima Yi didn't sent in the army to capture the fortress when movements inside stopped. Zhuge Liang minds games'd them again by tying cattle to war drums to make them think the city was still occupied. Such mind games.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but here's that lesson translated into smash terms
Zhuge Liang was an East coast smasher, and Sima Yi was a West coast smasher. Now Zhuge Liang was uber pro at mind games. He would dash dance a lot, pretend to be shield-grab happy or roll happy so opponents would spam the same moves and so he could later counter them when the opponents couldn'4t stop using them, and even use psychology at his advantage. He was pretty pro. Well, one day, Zhuge Liang was in a crew battle and down 10 stock. Zhuge Liang's men were like oh****. But Zhuge Liang's like we don't need them with my pro mindgames. He then told Bum to play. Sima Yi, was like, "wtf Donkey Kong?". Because of Liang's reputation as a master of mind games, Sima Yi decided to send in a tester instead of a counterpick because he thought it was a trap. Admiral Ackbar would be proud. Zhuge Liang won because Bum beat the tester and Sima Yi had to send in Isai on pokefloats as a counter. Zhuge Ling minds games'd them again by tying cattle to Isai. Such mind games.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Nihonjin hit the nail on the head. People usually call run + back wavedash "mind games". They aren't mind games, they are just "fake outs", particular schemes built in order to have your opponent make mistakes. Foreseeing what your opponent will do and countering his moves is the mind gaming basic. However just like in the scissors, paper and rock game there are counters to the counters, for instance the fake outs I was speaking of earlier. Mind gaming is more than countering what your opponent does, it's predicting what your opponent will do or how he will react to your moves and at that point countering him. Mind gaming isn't just using the scissors every time your opponent uses the paper, it's understanding if your opponent will really use the paper or switch to the rock at the last moment and using the proper counter to it.

mog87

Smash Ace
Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the Zhuge Liang stories. You should make up some more, or rather retell them in that strange manner.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
"Mindgame" is just an overused word that refers to the mental aspect of the game. Basically your "mindgames" are your decision process. Tech skill is you ability to control your character. Then there's that sort of in between area we'll call knowledge. An example of what i'm failing to describe at the moment is chain throwing. You know you can chain throw, you're making the decision to do so (as opposed to utilt or something) and you're able to do it. This "knowledge" gray area sets the bounds for your decisions (or "mindgames") based on your knowledge of the game, and your tech skill. If you shine someone against a wall, and you know you can waveshine infinite, your knowledge gives your mindgames an option: Wallshine infinite. Basically, this "knowledge" thing is your mind's knowledge of your options in any situation. This "mindgames" thing is your mind deciding what option to take. This "tech skill" thing is your fingers physically performing your actions.

red stone

Smash Ace
"Mindgame" is just an overused word that refers to the mental aspect of the game. Basically your "mindgames" are your decision process. Tech skill is you ability to control your character. Then there's that sort of in between area we'll call knowledge. An example of what i'm failing to describe at the moment is chain throwing. You know you can chain throw, you're making the decision to do so (as opposed to utilt or something) and you're able to do it. This "knowledge" gray area sets the bounds for your decisions (or "mindgames") based on your knowledge of the game, and your tech skill. If you shine someone against a wall, and you know you can waveshine infinite, your knowledge gives your mindgames an option: Wallshine infinite. Basically, this "knowledge" thing is your mind's knowledge of your options in any situation. This "mindgames" thing is your mind deciding what option to take. This "tech skill" thing is your fingers physically performing your actions.

so you are saying that mindgames are a knowledge of your options? sounds okay, but you fail to mention the analysis of an opponent. it takes at least two to have mindgames.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
so you are saying that mindgames are a knowledge of your options? sounds okay, but you fail to mention the analysis of an opponent. it takes at least two to have mindgames.
Actually, i was saying that mindgames are *not* the knowledge of your options. Thats a third factor. Mindgames are the decision process/ result that you come to *from* your options in your repertoire. Therefore, if you decide to do something because you're opponent's done something predictably, you're deciding to punish it, there's the "classic mindgame" people point to with the definition a lot.

@ Hot_arms: I try to help out as much as i can.

Brookman

Smash Hero
There are too many people who don't actually know anything about this game posting for this topic to be of any worth.

edit: except nihonjin, he pretty much covered all of his bases.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
There are too many people who don't actually know anything about this game posting for this topic to be of any worth.

edit: except nihonjin, he pretty much covered all of his bases.
Mind games exist outside of this game... stay tuned for the next story of Zhuge Liang's uber pro mind games.

Brookman

Smash Hero
My definition of mind games is this:

SHUT THE **** UP AND GO TO A TOURNAMENT AND LEARN HOW TO PLAY.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
My definition of mind games is this:

SHUT THE **** UP AND GO TO A TOURNAMENT AND LEARN HOW TO PLAY.
whoa, no need to get your panties in a bundle. If you think that's what mind games are, that's what mind games are.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
If you take my posts at face value then you don't know what mind games are.
face value? As in what they mean literally? Should I not take this one at face value either? DO YOU MEAN SOMETHING ELSE IN THOSE WORDS? BUT IF YOU DO, THEN YOUR POSTS ARE AT FACE VALUE.

HOLY LIVING SH*T MIND GAMES.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I like nihonjin's post.

Every other one should be ignored.
I actually decided to post for once in an attempt to kill all those "everything you do is a mindgame/every decision you make is a mindgame/wobbling is a mindgame" posts....but it obviously didn't work, it seems like people aren't even reading my post...
Oh well, atleast I tried.

jacobrhcp

Smash Apprentice
'twas still a pretty nice read =).

(are you going to the WiiDS tournament too?)

vericz

Smash Champion
Mindgames=Tricking the **** out of your opponent.

An easy example of the most simple mindgame is wavedash away from your opponent and punish their mistake whether it be a grab or shield. Mindgames aren't complex, it's deciding how to use them which is somewhat difficult.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
It's ok, Nihonjin I read your post and found it informative and entertaining.

But I found the crazy stories cooler :p.

Mindgames to me are

A) using your own knowledge of what the opponent will do in a situation to your advantage and putting them in situations where you know that you can do this via the same process
B) a joke

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Mindgames=Tricking the **** out of your opponent.

An easy example of the most simple mindgame is wavedash away from your opponent and punish their mistake whether it be a grab or shield. Mindgames aren't complex, it's deciding how to use them which is somewhat difficult.

You talk about "mindgames" as if they're specific moves when in fact its a mindset. There is no "Deciding how to use them".
Also, the complexity of "Mindgames" are only limited by the minds of those playing.

Eaode

Smash Champion
LISTEN TO NIHONJIN

Wavedashing back after a dash can be a part of your mindgames. If you know they'll try to attac you then you can use that to punish. But they might learn sooner or later and not take te bait or even counter it somehow.
Nihonjin is right. Mindgames are not like 'moves'

"Supa Wavedash Dats a Mindgame Right There" is false xD

yomedrath

Smash Apprentice
well thought out post nihonjin ^^

either way, the way you describe it is to complex imo...
you cant think through all this the moment you grab the oponent, no matter how "talented" you are...
you might have it planed out already, though, but then your example leaves no room for creativity, because mindgames are such huge things xD

its propably hard to pick a good example, but i think mindgames are less than you said (easier things if you know what i mean...)

well, i´m talking crap, so i´ll shut up..

rereading this, its stupid, but i´m posting it anyways :D

Top Bottom