• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DLX Hit Cancel should not be called the DLX cancel

Umby

Smash Master
I have a fever and the only cure is moar gatling!
Oh, I thought you meant more cowbell. Excuse me.

Also, the issue of naming advanced techs after yourself is a matter of arrogance, and on the internet, arrogance draws controversy. That's why we try and stick to generic names, unless we can collectively attribute a technique to its discoverer or main user.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Nonono. The name should not be DLX Hit cancel, it should be SothE700kGerfBlast Hit Cancel!

>_>

I'm just calling it a hit cancel, the end.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
just call it either "gatling" like most people do, or do what i call and just call it what it is, hit cancel to Usmash.

all these kids trying to make their name off of glitches will be forgotten, so if you see a thread where they try to take credit for it just suggest a new name and ppl will probably agree and use it instead.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Gatling doesn't work for me, as it explains nothing, and will only take up more time in the future when explaining it to somebody. You'll not only have to explain what it is (as opposed to only how to do it/timing) but some will also ask where the name came from, which just makes it more bothersome (regardless of whether the answer is easy or not, having to repeat it often will be annoying).

It's cancelling a dash attack with an upsmash. I don't see the reason for a fancy name when I only know of four characters that can do it (and it's stupid hard to pull off with Link, only managed it once in training at 1/4 speed when I didn't hit anything during a few minutes of messing around).

hario.hige

Smash Cadet
It's not for every character, right? I haven't been able to get it to work with everyone, anyway.

I say call it Dash Attack Up-Smash Canceling, or "DAUS Cancel". It sounds cool because it sounds German. =D

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Wow. What a childish thread. "Omg im jealous lets rename the thing to my name!" is a common joke. But thats not really better is it?

Everyone knows what the hell DLX cancel mean by that. No one give a crap about the guy behind it, I saw him the first time he posted but I never cared. DLX is already widely known, now lets just create more terms to it to confuse people? Pointless. Especially if you want to call it "gatling" or something, which says NOTHING about it.

Thats not even talking about the insults I saw for the guy and completely childish behavior. This is just a freakin' name, people know what it is from that name, END OF STORY. I have an hard time believing such a topic was made.

Invalid

Smash Rookie
He's not the only one, I saw a youtube video of someone calling it the 'raspuasmash' or something of the like. I'll link it when I get back from work.

Jinx

Smash Journeyman
Because:
a) You don't get to name a technique after yourself just because you discovered it.
b) His logic is that he discovered and posted about it first, hence he should get to name it. But he wasn't. According to his own logic, someone else should get the honor.
c) He's a douchebag.
d) DLX cancel makes no sense. What the hell does the DLX cancel tell you about the technique?
Someone posted (& most likely discovered) it a week before DLX did anyways: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140343. Thread was posted on 2-1-08. DLX's thread (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142918) was posted on 2-8-08.

Therefore, he didn't even post it first.

I just call it dash attack canceling.
Amen.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I don't even think this needs a name. It's known that Falco can cancel his dash-A with up-smash so when using this combo why not just say dash-A up-smash combo or something like that. Eggm's name works as well.

I've seen other really ******** technique names floating around which need to go as well. Craqwalking, hyphen-smashing, wtf is that crap?

edit:
just noticed how old this thread is. why the heck did it pop up as the most recently responded-to thread? Oh well, sorry for bumping this.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
DLX is usable because it has a humorous origin

snake players call it snake dashing

in the sheik boards we just call it DACUS (dash attack cancelled usmash)

and we always capitalize it cuz it looks funnier : )

yuna, maybe we should call an ftilt a side-tilt instead?

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I do agree that no one should name techniques after themselves. Techniques should be named to reflect what they are. Almost all of the Melee techs were named so.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Not in the least because DLX Cancel is ridiculously stupid, and it's much more fun to call it Snakedashing.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
a) Tell that to countless scientists who have named their laws after themselves.
Im pretty sure most laws and constants were named after them by other people (science community) since either they discovered it, had a part in it, or predicted it.

This is kinda like the Ken combo, it was given that name by the community not by ken.

Edit: DAC or Linking sounds good.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Thankfully, many people already use DAC.
The entire Falco boards call it a gatling combo.

Just don't name stuff after yourself. It just makes people mad.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Why not just use an easily descriptive name like Dash Attack Cancel? That's what i see most and it makes a lot of sense compared to some other names mentioned here

Grunt

Smash Master
FOR EVERYONE POSTING:
This thread is really old, and was bumped by someone. seriously, everyone is over the whole DLX thing, and call it DAC now anyways.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
We've never had a technique named after someone. The fact that he used his name for the technique is stupid. So far every move in Brawl Has a very simple name that the community has agreed on so why should it be different for this one? Just give it a name pertaining to what it does. We have QAC,DAC,ISJ,IDC, all of that which names come from what the technique does. Just do the same for this.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Lol, I remembered that thread. Personally, I just call it DAC. Don't worry, people won't call it DLX hit cancel, and eventually the term wil just be forgotten.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Ken combo is named after ken
granted ken is freakin awesome but DLX named the combo after himself A LONG TIME AGO, it sorta stuck (did for me anyway), sounds decent, and I could care less whether or not it is named after somebody.

For those who feel otherwise, most people have been calling it the gatling combo anyway.

I'm sure all this was mentioned in previous posts but the thread was TL; DR

And my bad on bumping an old thread

GofG

Smash Champion
The ken combo and DAC aren't comparable because the DAC is an actual advanced technique that wasn't meant to be included in the game, while fair -> dair is perfectly within the game's mechanics and therefore doesn't need to be explained in any deeper terms than fair -> dair.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
That video was awesome. Sandbag couldn't do **** about it. Good stuff.

Top Bottom