• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Kazoochachoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kazoochachoo
3DS FC
2964-8741-5963
I saw a pretty interesting theory on /v/ regarding these two.

So you know how everyone figures the dog is the "main" character between the two yeah? What if it's actually the duck that decides how the dog moves. Like for example you move the duck primarily and the dog follows and does most of the attacking.

It'd be a pretty accurate way to portray how dogs chase things, but I could easily see it being a mix of both controlling the dog and the duck.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
ooo! DHD seems fun to play as. Count me in! cx

but.... I think the leak is dead now. I don't think he'll be in because of one reason; I was looking up DHD pictures and found one that matches up EXACTLY with the leak's. Such a short lived glory D:

http://i.imgur.com/CUVQJwv.png?1

welp.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
ooo! DHD seems fun to play as. Count me in! cx

but.... I think the leak is dead now. I don't think he'll be in because of one reason; I was looking up DHD pictures and found one that matches up EXACTLY with the leak's. Such a short lived glory D:

http://i.imgur.com/CUVQJwv.png?1

welp.
That's Pluto.

Was this serious, or was a joke? If it was a joke, did you...planet? DOHOHO.
Pluto's a dwarf planet but still

In all seriousness, I don't see the matchup.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
That'd be interesting, but I'd prefer controlling the dog, maybe having the duck act more like Rosalina's Luma.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Duck Hunt was a very big deal at the time and helped to popularize nintendo a bit more. Makes more sense than R.O.B.
That makes sense, but why is that you think? Wasn't R.O.B a big reason why Nintendo didn't fail?

And I don't like to hunt but hunting is kinda needed in certain places where keeping animal population in check is quite a big deal due to the lack of major predators in certain areas and invasive species. Freaking feral pigs all over the freaking place. You said save it for another board but I'm not really going to argue this further.
Agh... why did you even bring this up then? You get to have the last word? Must.... resist... ahhh... Okay, I'll direct you to this thread for my response:

http://smashboards.com/threads/when-is-killing-animals-right.354294/

I actually responded to your very same claim in my first post on that thread. Post a rebuttal there if you'd like.

I absolutely love the render. I can even stomach Jr. being in if we get the best retro option of all time on there.

Well...the duck and the Dog seem to be on friendly terms in that pic. Super Smash Crusade has the dog hit the opponents with the ducks but they are very much alive still and are even set free after being used. I could see this happening again.

If you think it's cruel to hit opponents with ducks before letting the duck go, at least it's not as bad as Olimar and his Pikmin. The only freedom for them is death...
I always thought that the Pikmin consented to fighting with Olimar, but this may not be the case. I believe the game always described their interactions as mutually beneficial. Regardless, I do think there is a difference between a game that centers around a practice that is regularly accepted in the real world and a sci-fi RTS game like Pikmin.

Duck Hunt is a lighthearted game about blasting cartoon ducks while a dog giggles at your incompetence. I hope you realize you're not killing real ducks.
Of course I realize that the ducks aren't real, but it bothers me for a game that is about shooting ducks to be popularized once more. Hunting is an accepted legal practice in the real world, so having a game about it only perpetuates this acceptance in my eyes. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazoochachoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kazoochachoo
3DS FC
2964-8741-5963
Of course I realize that the ducks aren't real, but it bothers me for a game that is about shooting ducks to be popularized once more. Hunting is an accepted legal practice in the real world, so having a game about it only perpetuates this acceptance in my eyes. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Get ready for PETA to make a mock game for Smash like they did Pokemon! Making Smash Bros and the Duck Hunt Dog way more gory than it would logically ever be!

Seriously, what's up with them doing that anyway. Seems a bit counter-intuitive doesn't it? At any rate, I don't think we're going to actually get any parts of shooting the actual duck in Smash. That would be a bit unfitting.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It's like Looney Tunes, it contains hunting as well, but I don't think anybody is taking it as a promotion of hunting. It's just comical cartoony violence stuff. The Dog and Duck are very much in that same style.

I think what makes Duck Hunt deserving of a character is simply how iconic and important it was to Nintendo. It came bundled with every NES (in the US at least), so it became very popular and very well known very quickly. And to help things further, it included that dog with that infamous laugh of his, and everybody remembers that. The game is iconic, as is the dog... In addition to that, Duck Hunt was also in the arcades where we got to see even more of the dog in action being even more comical, and if we go back even further prior to video games, Nintendo released a toy shooting gallery called Duck Hunt. I feel, like with ROB and G&W, Duck Hunt is another one of those historically significant things from Nintendo.

Now, that doesn't mean this leak is fact or anything, I'm still extremely skeptical about the whole thing, but I'm still in favor of the dog and duck being playable.

Kazoochachoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kazoochachoo
3DS FC
2964-8741-5963
@ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming
That is a stupid way to disprove anything. Sharing the same pose isn't the same thing as directly lifting from the model. Their faces are entirely different.

This is almost as bad as Wottergate.

Last edited:

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
That "proof" is :098:...

As Kazoochachoo said, sharing a pose isn't worth anything...
The other reasons listed in that reddit thread aren't convincing either...

We can't conclude if this leak is false or true, I guess we"ll have to wait until Sakurai shows us a character with inconsistent artwork or we"ll just have to wait till release...

Kazoochachoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kazoochachoo
3DS FC
2964-8741-5963
No, the faces are not different. They are exactly the same.
They are most certainly not, the only thing they share are eyes. Which most human characters in this series do actually, unless their style dictates elsewise like the more cartoony Mario series or the more realistic proportions of Metroid with Zero Suit Samus.

Little Mac has a different nose, a more prominent brow with a more protruding forehead, bigger cheekbones, a wider and more squared jaw. I can determine that much as someone who's spent a good amount of time studying anatomy.

Sharing a 3/4ths mugshot is not the same as having identical facial features, I hope you're aware of this.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
So a lot of people consider this leak fake because Duck Hunt dog is listed as "Duck Hunt". Now, I want this leak to be fake as much as everyone else, but take a look at this:

leak3.png

The dog isn't present by himself, he's got a duck with him. So in that case, maybe they're a tag team character, and "Duck Hunt" is referring to the party itself. After all a "hunt" can still be a noun.

The only flaw with this theory is the fact that a duck would be in a duck hunt.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
They are most certainly not, the only thing they share are eyes. Which most human characters in this series do actually, unless their style dictates elsewise like the more cartoony Mario series or the more realistic proportions of Metroid with Zero Suit Samus.

Little Mac has a different nose, a more prominent brow with a more protruding forehead, bigger cheekbones, a wider and more squared jaw. I can determine that much as someone who's spent a good amount of time studying anatomy.

Sharing a 3/4ths mugshot is not the same as having identical facial features, I hope you're aware of this.
Shulk's Forehead is covered by his hair, the nose shape and size match to a tee, the mouth has the exact same expression, and the neck matches up perfectly, as do the eyes.

Kazoochachoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kazoochachoo
3DS FC
2964-8741-5963
Shulk's Forehead is covered by his hair, the nose shape and size match to a tee, the mouth has the exact same expression, and the neck matches up perfectly, as do the eyes.
First off, they do not have similar noses. Little Mac has a much more protruding and curved nose, like the ones commonly associated with those of Italian descent. Whereas Shulk has a smaller "Aryan" type of nose.

Secondly and more importantly, I hope you're sharp enough to realize that "having the same neck" is literally just them sharing a similar pose. Like you realize that's what human necks do, yeah?

Saying that Shulk looks like Mac is such a stupid stretch.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Even though I think the Duck Hunt Dog would be an interesting character, I want the leak to be fake so much. He and Shulk are the only 2 newcomers in this leak that deserve spots. Since so much evidence is pointing to it being fake, I can be at ease for now. I will not believe any leak and will only believe the actual roster when the game comes out.
EDIT: I would like to be added to the supporter list

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
First off, they do not have similar noses. Little Mac has a much more protruding and curved nose, like the ones commonly associated with those of Italian descent. Whereas Shulk has a smaller "Aryan" type of nose.

Secondly and more importantly, I hope you're sharp enough to realize that "having the same neck" is literally just them sharing a similar pose. Like you realize that's what human necks do, yeah?

Saying that Shulk looks like Mac is such a stupid stretch.
Why don't you actually look at the gif for 2 seconds.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik describe your feelings about DHD right now. I'm so curious.
Short version: tears of joy... feelings of happiness, vindication, and nostalgia... hoping this is 100% real and all my efforts were not in vain

Long version: When I first saw the leak last night, I was literally crying tears of joy for about 10 minutes or so... I never expected this to actually happen for real. I knew it was a dream... a long shot... and I was stubborn to listen to the haters and I had to read all the venom they spewed about me and about Duck Hunt Dog for years. I read them so I'd come up with counter arguments and they all said it's never happening and whatever I had to say to defend Duck Hunt Dog will be in vain.

People told me he had no moves because all he does is laugh and point. I scrapped my original moveset I had on Nsider and NinDB and I spitefully made a new moveset where he literally laughs and points to fight. That's when I had an eureka moment... so I refined that spiteful moveset into the current one where Duck Hunt Dog's moveset is a parody of the gameplay mechanics of Duck Hunt itself. With the hunter shooting from the fourth wall concept, it's almost as if you're playing Duck Hunt itself to fight.

I knew I had to do something to get Sakurai's attention... I realized I was barking up the wrong tree... that I shouldn't have to work so hard to sell the Duck Hunt Dog idea to anonymous forum members since they aren't the ones making the game... I should sell the idea to Sakurai because he's the one making the game. I created a Twitter account just so I could try to contact Sakurai directly. I wrote messages in English and then I looked through the Japanese websites for Melee and Brawl AND the Japanese Wikipedia articles on Duck Hunt, NES Zapper, hunting dogs, clay shooting, ducks, and fourth wall just so I could string together a bunch of Japanese words and phrases into what I wanted to tell Sakurai... and I used Google Translate to ensure the Japanese paragraphs were very close to what I wanted to say.

Next, I looked through custom NES sprite sheets and I found a huge sprite sheet for Duck Hunt Dog in Crusade. I copied and pasted them over and over... I cropped and pieced them over and over... all on MS Paint. I placed the Japanese text on these pictures... yes, I made the Duck Hunt Dog pictures in English and Japanese. I posted the English ones here on June 2012 but I sent the Japanese ones to Sakurai's Twitter on May 2012. I knew this was around the time Sakurai was deciding the roster and I had to try and plant the idea in Sakurai's mind.

This is one of the first pictures I sent to Sakurai's Twitter...

I also sent links to YouTube videos of Duck Hunt Dog in Crusade to Sakurai's Twitter because I was trying to nurture that idea I hopefully planted in Sakurai's mind. I stopped using Twitter on January 2013 because I have done everything I could do throughout 2012. I was spamming Sakurai's Twitter during the summer of 2012 because I knew it was the crucial time period where Sakurai was deciding the roster. I was desperate and I wanted to show Sakurai how interesting Duck Hunt Dog could be as a playable character in Smash.

Fast forward to August 2014, I was not expecting Duck Hunt Dog to be in Smash... I expected nothing like always... just like in Melee and Brawl where only the ducks got a trophy and a sticker. I was honestly expecting Takamaru to be the retro newcomer of SSB4 but I was surprised to see that he was an Assist Trophy! I lamented about who could be the retro newcomer if there's one. I didn't want to accept that Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac-Man could be the retro newcomers of SSB4 even though they were some of my most wanted characters for SSB4. But then I heard about the Ninka/Vaanrose leak which claimed that Duck Hunt Dog is a newcomer...!

I was pleasantly surprised to see that people were starting to jump on the Duck Hunt Dog bandwagon and I thought it was because they really wanted a retro newcomer after Takamaru was deconfirmed. I was hesitant to believe in the leak 100% because it was too good to be true. Last night when I first saw the leaked picture of Duck Hunt Dog, I jokingly said that I was glad to see someone finally making a decent looking fake picture. But then I saw the duck!!! I was flabbergasted and confused... but then I saw the dog and the duck together and they looked so adorable together, I started to weep. I couldn't believe that this could actually be real! That it could be finally happening after 12 long years of flame wars and hard work... the feelings of happiness, vindication, and nostalgia... and now I'm hoping this is not a cruel hoax... I don't want to have false hope again, especially after what's happened to Toad... my body is not ready for the feels!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I wish I had joined Smashboards years ago, we would have gotten along very well, Arcadenik! I'm so pleased you did so much to support this character, even sending Sakurai a pic including my drawing! Thank you!!

Last edited:

Claire Farron

Smash Rookie
Why don't you actually look at the gif for 2 seconds.
Look at their cheekbones, totally different, also Mac's chin is a little wider. Plus their eyes don't exactly match up Shulk's are slightly smaller, you can tell because of how close they are to the nose. Also Shulk's nose is tiny and Mac's is pointier? I guess. Their mouths are almost exactly alike though but with stupid Shulk's hair we can't see his ears or forehead which would help solve all this

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Look at their cheekbones, totally different, also Mac's chin is a little wider. Plus their eyes don't exactly match up Shulk's are slightly smaller, you can tell because of how close they are to the nose. Also Shulk's nose is tiny and Mac's is pointier? I guess. Their mouths are almost exactly alike though but with stupid Shulk's hair we can't see his ears or forehead which would help solve all this
what cheekbones

they don't have cheekbones

not to mention yes it is photoshopped so they changed some things to make it less obvious.

Claire Farron

Smash Rookie
what cheekbones

they don't have cheekbones

not to mention yes it is photoshopped so they changed some things to make it less obvious.
Hahaha obviously, but you know what I mean.
Well if that's the case then there's really no point arguing because you can simply say that about the whole thing.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Yeah, everything points to this leak being FAKE.

That said, The Duck Hunt Dog was basically the only redeeming quality about the leak, he'd actually be an awesome nod to the NES era.

Just don't cling to this (probably fake) leak because of DHD.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Self righteous snip
You are the one bringing up hunting issues in this thread. Which is about a cartoon dog from an old game where you shoot cartoon ducks. As someone who is a firm supporter of conservation and animal rights I find you getting all defensive about a hunting game silly. Isn't a videogame about hunting better than normal hunting in your opinion?

Anyways Duck Hunt Dog is a fairly iconic character and I see no reason for him not to be thrown in

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Dunk Hunt Dog's picture is so cute, especially since he seems to be playing with a duck !

But, on the other hand, I want this to be fake very badly, because Dunk Hunt Dog is the only character that would not make me feel utterly disappointed with the remaining characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So I've been reading up on this so-called "leak", and I have to say...this is actually REALLY becoming believeable...:ohwell:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Get ready for PETA to make a mock game for Smash like they did Pokemon! Making Smash Bros and the Duck Hunt Dog way more gory than it would logically ever be!
Seriously, what's up with them doing that anyway. Seems a bit counter-intuitive doesn't it? At any rate, I don't think we're going to actually get any parts of shooting the actual duck in Smash. That would be a bit unfitting.
I think that would be unfitting as well, and the fact that this very game uses a quasi realistic gun in the form of the NES Zapper makes me think that Sakurai would overlook it. I doubt he would even approve of the "implied shooting" being implemented within the Duck Hunt Dog's move-set. I think it's an interesting point to talk about anyway.

You are the one bringing up hunting issues in this thread. Which is about a cartoon dog from an old game where you shoot cartoon ducks. As someone who is a firm supporter of conservation and animal rights I find you getting all defensive about a hunting game silly. Isn't a videogame about hunting better than normal hunting in your opinion?

Anyways Duck Hunt Dog is a fairly iconic character and I see no reason for him not to be thrown in
Okay, stating my opinion and objections =/= being self-righteous nor defensive. There's no reason to give each other a hard time here. I brought up the hunting issues because it was necessary in order to frame my opinion, but I think the actual issue of hunting should be discussed elsewhere.

My main reason for posting was to seek out opinions on whether supporting this character is the same as supporting the practice of hunting, and many people have already answered that question. I do like the comparison to Looney Toons that Juliusaurus made, but I have to wonder if the game depicts the ducks actually dying which would make things different in my opinion. Of course a game about hunting is better than actual hunting, but I'm still concerned about the act being promoted and especially that it's being made to be fun for kids. Again, just sharing my opinions here. I have no desire to attack anyone.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The render does look nice (even if it is fake).

An interesting idea would be controlling the duck. The dog follows closely behind, always hunting the duck. The dog cannot be hit away, only the duck. All attacks though are made by the dog.

Example: Forward Smash - The duck spot dodges and the dog pounces forward and bites.

Neutral Air: The duck flies in a circle with the dog chasing mid-air and frantically biting.

99thSmashFan

Smash Rookie
I support! I came to post for the first time that I support DHD, his design in Smash 4 looks awesome!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The render does look nice (even if it is fake).

An interesting idea would be controlling the duck. The dog follows closely behind, always hunting the duck. The dog cannot be hit away, only the duck. All attacks though are made by the dog.

Example: Forward Smash - The duck spot dodges and the dog pounces forward and bites.

Neutral Air: The duck flies in a circle with the dog chasing mid-air and frantically biting.
LOL That sounds hilarious! It is like even if the dog is playable, you still cannot hurt the dog no matter what! Just like the NES game! It would be a troll move on Sakurai's part! :troll:

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
The Duck Hunt Dog is one of the few remaining iconic Nintendo characters left to add, although I'm not a fan of the current 'leak', he's still my most-wanted NES character. Him and Shulk would actually make a lovely reveal trailer, old Nintendo and new Nintendo in one package. Mad about the possibility of losing Popo and Nana and (my old main) Wolf though.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I never realized it before, but Duck Hunt Dog would be a pretty cool newcomer choice. I support him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I played Duck Hunt before SMB

let's go doggie

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Haha, I love Duck Hunt Dog's render! I'm 50/50 on weather this leak is legit or not, but I really hope it's real.
This is exactly how I feel. I gotta be honest guys. I really want this to be fake. This leak's portrayal of DHD looks to be exactly the type of way I wished for him to be portrayed. But I'm vehemently against the inclusion of Shulk, Dark Pit, and others, and not having even one of K. Rool, Ridley, or Mewtwo would be crushing. Losing one of my mains (Ice Climbers) is the final straw for me.I hope we still get DHD (and in a manner just like how he is in this leak), but I want a much different final roster.

Top Bottom