• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dragon's Den: Official Dragonite Support Thread

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
Dragonite may seem to have a very slim chance that he will make it in brawl, but i didn't expect to see the ice climbers in melee or in brawl, and how many of you thought that snake would be in brawl?
The trend that we have seen is that they are putting in 1st gen pokemon and dragonite is not only one of the more popular ones, but his character model would work. Ontop of that they are putting in alot of old reps. I don't think very many of you expect to see pit either. The fact is that we don't know who is going to be in, but we know that we WANT him in.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I can see Dragonite being in brawl as a huge.. masssive.. sticker which you can win from losing a bet in spectator mode! then you can display it next to your Rawk Hawk and Silver the hedgehog stickers.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
dragonite is probably the the best pokemon suggestion apart from mewtwo. he has everything going for him. he is sick. he would be a awsome heavy flyer. he is by no means a sticker. he is to 1337 to be a sticker

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
dragonite is probably the the best pokemon suggestion apart from mewtwo. he has everything going for him. he is sick. he would be a awsome heavy flyer. he is by no means a sticker. he is to 1337 to be a sticker
QFT
He is with the likly hood of pichu and possibly(if not likly) removal of jiggs then there are deffinently going to spots that need filling, and Dragonite has importance and a very unique move-set.

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
I'm sorry for pissing off all of the dragonite supporters. But really I jsut dont see him in brawl thats just my opinion

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
ahahaha this thread got bumped when it must have been on like the 30th page by an unsupporter lol
anyway, even though it seems like miyamoto mysteriously checked out this thread and stole all my move ideas and used them for other characters... what an assehole lol ya but still, you can't deny that nearly every other possible pokemon character candidate got decomfirmed, and this pokemon is fan popular which is important, and there should be at least 1 more new pokemon character.
and this character would be unique, which as sakurai has shown so far, is very important. if you dont like his looks, then i don't know why you care about pokemon characters, cause the majority of them are ugly, and this one looks decent at least. if you arent satasfied with his stats, well that doesnt really matter cause sakurai doesnt care about high stats when he picks pokemon characters. but by saying he has bad stats, your being an idiot anyway.

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
BTW Fierce I only posted here because my friend Billythegoat keeps telling me to so that the thread will come back up and he dosent have to double post. lol dragonite isnt that bad I just think that there are other charecters would fit the brawl spot better. If there even is an open one.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
BTW Fierce I only posted here because my friend Billythegoat keeps telling me to so that the thread will come back up and he dosent have to double post. lol dragonite isnt that bad I just think that there are other charecters would fit the brawl spot better. If there even is an open one.
LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Jiggs and pichu possibly deconfirmed then I think it is safe to say that there is going to be more pokemon reps in brawl. The only question is, which one? Dragonite would be an execellent choice. He has a very unique move set, and he is first gen. which Sakiria has been shown to have a liking to with the poke trainer and all.

Perhaps the argument for Dragonite isn't best made by saying why he should be in, but instead why not. Their are turlly very few other pokemon with the strong and rich background that Dragonite does. So please who else deserves the spot besides him.(as far as the pokemon character slot)

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
just cause dragonite aint legendary or appearing in at least half of the pokemon episodes doesnt make him random. if he was random, there would be people coming here asking "who teh hew is dragonite?" but that doesnt seem to happen because everyone knows who dragonite is, because he is popular. not random. not only is he popular, but he's also very popular, appearing in the top 20 pokemon and liked by nearly all pokemon fans, especially the 1st gen ones which are the only ones that really matter

Chepe

Smash Lord
Oh, how I ADORE Dragonite, but sadly he would seem as random as a Kangaskhan... :(

Shame, and with the way things have gone we probably wont even see him in a Pokeball. I at least hope Sakurai decides to give him that cameo.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
with the way things are going, anything could happen with pokemon characters. deoxys got decononfirmed, meowth got decomfirmed, gardy got decomfirmed, a whole lot of popular pokemon got deconfirmed. dragonite hasnt, and he's very popular. lets be serious, not random like kangaskhan. i mean maybe for people that only played pokemon once and slightly enjoyed it, but not for moderate fans.

Chepe

Smash Lord
So I admit that he isnt as random as Kangaskhan, as the original Dragon type. Still, nothing has made it likely that Dragonite will show up as playable anytime soon. For me, I at least hope we will see him in a Pokeball, since Sakurai has ignored him for far too long...

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
Before melee, how many of you thought that pichu had the popularity to be in the next smash? Given that he was put in as a clone, but still it shows that anyone of these characters has chance. Dragonite has the upper hand in this, because he would not only be a very unique character, but also has a farelly strong fan base. Oh, and by the way, what was it that Ivysaur did that was so amazing that he has a character slot. He didn't even make it on the polls for which pokemon deserves a spot and yet there he is in the game.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Before melee, how many of you thought that pichu had the popularity to be in the next smash? Given that he was put in as a clone, but still it shows that anyone of these characters has chance. Dragonite has the upper hand in this, because he would not only be a very unique character, but also has a farelly strong fan base. Oh, and by the way, what was it that Ivysaur did that was so amazing that he has a character slot. He didn't even make it on the polls for which pokemon deserves a spot and yet there he is in the game.
its not about ivysaur man, its about the PT. and comparing dragonite to pichu (in terms of chance to get in) is not positive, especially since you're also arguing for his originality. do you think if pichu was really original he would have got in? no, he got in because it was easy and funny to put him in as a terrible clone of a far superior character.

i'm prepared to say he will not be in at all.

additionally, salamence is a way cooler choice for a pokeball IMHO.

finally:

so sleek. also, cooler than dragonite.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
I'm only comparing him to Pichu not so much as a character, but more to show that not a single one of us can say something like this, "i'm prepared to say he will not be in at all." We simply don't know, but here is what we do know. He made it on the poll for pokemon that deserve a spot and not one, not one of the pokemon that the trainer uses made it on that poll. So plz realize that as much as you think that you know everything, you don't.

p.s. What would you have told me if I had said that Snake would be in brawl before he was confirmed in the trailers? The characters in brawl have pretty much been one suprise after another.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
I'm only comparing him to Pichu not so much as a character, but more to show that not a single one of us can say something like this, "i'm prepared to say he will not be in at all." We simply don't know, but here is what we do know. He made it on the poll for pokemon that deserve a spot and not one, not one of the pokemon that the trainer uses made it on that poll. So plz realize that as much as you think that you know everything, you don't.
let me repeat myself. it wasn't about any of PTs actual pokemon being enormously popular individually, but rather all three (and the trainer as well). its about the package, as well as sakurai being able to do something extraordinarily creative. trying to hold dragonite's merits above those of the PTs is ridiculous. he is a far less original creature than you seem to believe.

p.s. What would you have told me if I had said that Snake would be in brawl before he was confirmed in the trailers? The characters in brawl have pretty much been one suprise after another.
everyone uses snake as an example of, 'we don't know what sakurai is going to do, so my character has a chance!' do you think if we'd known before hand that sakurai was going to include 3rd party characters that snake wouldn't have been up there? i doubt it. he's too iconic to leave off the list. besides, i think at this stage people have a pretty decent idea of whats left in sakurai's bag of tricks. dragonite is not in said bag.

salamence for brawl!

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
May I ask you a question Dynamic Entry? What do you feel the requirements for pokemon to make into brawl are? To me, due to my own biaests' views, Dragonite seems to fit, but I could be wrong. I would greatly appreciate your insight as to what it takes to be in "said bag".

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
Man I used to use a Dragonite in competitive Pokemon... and he used to be the only dragon type loong ago... but hes kinda lost his awesomeness over the years... but as long has he has Hyper Beam he owns.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
May I ask you a question Dynamic Entry? What do you feel the requirements for pokemon to make into brawl are? To me, due to my own biaests' views, Dragonite seems to fit, but I could be wrong. I would greatly appreciate your insight as to what it takes to be in "said bag".
pikachu: icon of the series. there should be no argument that he deserves to make it.

jigglypuff: japanese favourite and recurring star of the anime for a long time. popularity has waned recently due to no longer being in the anime. awaiting to see if she makes it into brawl. chances are good.

pichu: nice, easy joke character. clone of pikachu, no real creativity required to add this character into melee. most likely cut from brawl.

mewtwo: most powerful pokemon in first generation, and 'final boss'. has a great deal of individuality, and is very recognisable (starred in 2 movies). everybody loves psychic cats.

pokemon trainer: possibly the most unique and innovative character addition to brawl, also very recognisable due to the squirtle/charizard factor. granted ivysaur may seem like the weakest link, but he adds some awesome diversity to the trio. besides, they could hardly leave him out could they? these 3 together ("when their powers combine") become an amazing tribute to the 1st generation.

dragonite: he's one of the most powerful pokemon in the game, and is up there with the great trio-evolution pokemon of each generation (1st: dragonite, 2nd: tyranitar, 3rd: salamence/metagross, 4th: garchomp). other than that he brings nothing either iconic, or innovative to the game.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
"Things that Dragonite could represent: Dragon type Pokemon, 3rd form Pokemon, physically powerful Pokemon, the 10th anniversary of Pokemon, Flying type Pokemon, Boss's in Pokemon, Pokemon fan popular Pokemon, the Elite Four, the Orange Island League, Lance, Pokemon that evolve at high levels, Blackthorn City, Mysterious Pokemon, legendary Pokemon with non-legendary traits, non-legendary Rare Pokemon, The Safari Zone, The Game Corner, beam attacks"-from the opening post

Although I would have to agree with you on the fact that he no longer brings anything very innovative to the game since Charizard is in brawl, but I feel that he does bring something rather iconic. He is the final boss of many major fights all throught pokemon history as the opening post shows in more then just what I've copied at the top. He must be some kind of an icon to have made it onto the polls along with the fact that he is one of the original legendary pokemon.

Top Bottom