• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The easiest MK chain grab

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This is just my OPINION. If you guys have more reliable cg's I'd be glad to hear them!

For big boys like Hylian, Millar, Void who already know their stuff, this shouldn't really be a big issue for them since they are already very skilled at cg's against all characters.

I happen to main sheik now and I use IC's as a secondary, and I mostly use them to counter pick Marth and MK. It may sound strange, but they do fare better against them than sheik does, so that's why I do it.

Anyway, my cg on metaknight is very easy and it has the same timing on almost every rep.

Popo bthrow
Nana dthrow, Popo run forward and pivot grab

The reason I like this cg is because I am very inconsistent with the timing-based forward, back, and down cg's. I tried to find a cg where I am very comfortable with just speedy muscle memory instead of trying to memorize slower timings. I don't know, I just work better that way.

After a long time in training mode and many matches against lvl 9 MK to find basic grab opportunities, MK as a whole just got a LOT easier for me to beat. (Mostly because I don't have to improvise all the time anymore, which risks inconsistency.)

You don't have to follow what I said... it's just a cool thing I want to point out, and helped me a lot.

lain

Smash Master
I already did this too way back then.

I always just walked with popo, made her throw, and turn around grab.

:colorful:

gordon117

Smash Cadet
this is a good one not for just MK, but for a lot of faster people, sonic comes to mind.

Keep it up man, CGing is so fun ^^

Royale

Smash Journeyman
i saw an IC chain grab and juggle a lucario in basic brawl. It got PRETTY LETHAL fast. He was up to 140% damage in under 30 seconds.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh cool, so you guys do this one already.

i tend to stick to this one and not do others because i'm repetitive like that. but hey, whatever works!

i'm really liking ic's as my main character to use against metaknight. anything that 0-deaths MK is a-okay in my book.

lain

Smash Master
Yeah, I normally do dthrow -> fthrow on heavy characters and bthrow -> dthrow on light characters.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My favorite is Dthrow to Fthrow.

On smaller characters I just alternate Bthrows.

I often use footstools as well.

lain

Smash Master
That's for light characters only (I think).

To footstool -> iceblock heavies, just have jump the opposite direction with nana (which will also cause Popo to throw backwards), make sure you're holding the backwards direction, and mash jump at the right time. Then just hit B.

On heavy characters, sometimes I do the Dthrow into Nana, and then Bthrow into Popo, just cause it looks silly.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
For Meta Knight, I do back throw to back throw>pivot grab or backthrow to back throw>turn around grab. The second one racks up damage pretty fast. I can't get the timing down for catching Meta Knight off a down throw from Nana, or catch him in a forward throw consistantly.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
bthrow bthrow.... interesting, i have to try that

the bthrow bhtrow that you guys are talking about
is that the "fastest cg" one or the one where the second bthrow is a turnaround/pivot grab?

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
The second throw is a turnaround grab.

I would show it, but I have no recording equipment I saw someone do it somewhere but I don't remember who.

Slush

Smash Cadet
Wow! sweet dude! I'll have to remember this when my buddies spam w/ MK hehehe > :-D

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think you people really overcomplicate your chaingrabs. Just use f-throw chaingrab on EVERYONE. Unlike every other chaingrab, the timing is exactly the same for every character. If you run out of stage before u-smash kill percentage (which doesn't happen much since you can pull off the f-throw chaingrab without moving much), do a b-throw toss to Nana and resume (b-throw timing is really easy on MK). You can also just go for the spike if you get to the edge.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
um, don't be silly nintendude. the timing on fthrow is pretty precise, and it differs for each character AND every percent. we are choosing these particular chain grabs because they are actually easier to time and more consistent than basic fthrowing.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
bthrow bthrow.... interesting, i have to try that

the bthrow bhtrow that you guys are talking about
is that the "fastest cg" one or the one where the second bthrow is a turnaround/pivot grab?

It's pretty much grab -> Back + grab at same time -> Bthrow -> Regrab

Erg, I suck at explaining this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcB_xxGUn0c

2:55-3:00.

And yes, I suck.

TKD

Smash Lord
The BEST chaingrab on MK.

Popo dthrow, Nana walkgrabs
Nana dthrow, Popo dashgrab **Hold Z until Nana shields, then let go of Z!
Popo dthrow, Nana walkgrabs
Nana dthrow, Popo dashgrab

Repeat until Popo's dashgrab reaches the edge and interrupt Popo's fthrow with Nana's spike.

**The shield thing. If Nana shielded, her magnet that brings her closer will work much faster. You have to get used to doing this.

NOW TO SOLVE PERCENTAGE ISSUES!

If you grab below 10%, you should do this:
Popo dthrow, Nana walkgrab
Popo dthrow, Nana spike
Popo walkgrab
(Continue)

If you grab from 10% to 18%, you should do this:
Popo dthrow, Nana spike
Popo walkgrab
(continue)

If you grab MK at a way low %, facing the edge and close to it, and MK will be below 40% before the time you spike him, do this before the last dashgrab:

Popo dthrow
Nana bthrow
(if necessary)
Popo dthrow
Nana bthrow
(now finish it)
Popo fthrow+nana spike

These are all QUITE easy for an experience IC mainer with decent practice. The back and forth one is a bit hard but easy with practice (plus there's no chance of tripping).

Metaknight should be as good as dead if you land a grab on him.

I think you people really overcomplicate your chaingrabs. Just use f-throw chaingrab on EVERYONE.
The fthrow chain may fail on Metaknight and the mother kids, because they're hard to time. You do practically the same against these three, but replace fthrow with dthrow. Also, characters that possess teather recoveries must be submit to a back-and-forth chaingrab, because of backthrow to nana catch having unreliably precise timing, and because of teathers being unspikeable.

Youch, burrrnnnnnnn... =)
j/k

EDIT: Above around 60%, MK starts getting INVINCIBLE to your main character's walking grabs (well, only hard enough for them to fail, actually). So only dashgrabbing starts to work. Plus, dashgrabbing with the main climber has always been easier, plus, it gets you closer to the edge quicker. The benefits outweigh greatly the possibility of a trip.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
um, don't be silly nintendude. the timing on fthrow is pretty precise, and it differs for each character AND every percent. we are choosing these particular chain grabs because they are actually easier to time and more consistent than basic fthrowing.
It doesn't differ for every character. Bigger opponents and lower % just give you more room for error. The timing you would use for f-throw chaingrabbing jiggly at 999% would work on any other character at any %.

TKD

Smash Lord
The chaingrab with the least margin of error to KO is always the best. That's why I don't do the fthrow chain MK. I may screw up. Specially since I don't main IC anymore, but I was able to fail it on MK even when I mained them.

Top Bottom