• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The end of Casual vs. Competitive Debates (Request Sticky)

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I have my opinions of things, and I don't feel compelled to share and argue them with people on these forums.

Let's turn smashboards into an efficient tool to learn new information and discuss intelligent topics. .
CONTRADICTION ERROR#584936921

G-X

Smash Apprentice
I don't call things you respect "meaningless."

If you don't agree with my code of honor that's fine, but you don't have to insult it.
I don't get it. Are you a troll, or did you just not read the book?

Sincerely confused,
John

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Scrubs are a doctor's versions of "sweats." They are an unflattering uniform created so that, during surgery, their clothes are unaffected. Because of the unflattering appeal of scrubs, many are created because they are disposable, like latex gloves.

Scrubs are useless anywhere else but the recycle bin in a hospital.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Why do we care so much that people be categorized?

People will play the game the way they know. If they care enough to know why they are getting brutalized by certain players (users of adv techs maybe?) then they will change the way they play. If they don't care, then they don't care about increasing their game.

Let 'casuals' and 'competitives' categorize themselves through PLAY rather than essays/arguments on the boards trying to force categorization or convincing either side of 'how to play' etc.

Ironically I must put definitions for words I used to avoid confusion.

casual player: One that doesnt care about becoming any better at something, just wants to pass time.

competitive player: One who takes time to understand the game environment and explores strategems and skills to increase his/her chances of winning.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
First off (and this is unrelated to the casual vs competitive argument), this thread does not deserve to be stickied. Yes, the article you referenced does make a couple of good points and is incredibly well-written, but it's not only been referenced countless times in the past but it only refutes a couple of many typical casual arguments. It is the not the "end all be all" to this debate.

Though what I normally find more important than the argument that the article posed (when applied to Smash's advanced techniques specifically) is the fact that little to no advanced techs are naturally advantageous to anyone.

For example, wavedashing will not automatically make you a better player if you can only perform the technique alone. Anyone can press the buttons/joystick in the order needed to perform the technique; you need to know how to use the technique, then practice putting it to that use in order for the technique for it to be the least bit effective. It's essentially the same thing as a basic technique or attack in that sense (you need to know how to use it with the proper spacing in order for it to be any useful). Granted, advanced techniques are harder to learn and perform than basic techniques, though the phrase "advanced technique" implies that they'd be...well, advanced.

That being said, advanced techniques don't hurt anyone. They're not "cheap," and they add tremendous depth to Smash.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
If my opponent suicides at a tournament, I'm not going to suicide to make up for it, though, I might do that at home if I'm just goofing off with my friends.
Yeah that's how I feel too. I'll suicide if a friend does to keep the fight exciting, but in a tourney well...duh.

Top Bottom