• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amide

Smash Lord
now that i think about it, saying "perfectly" was exagerating :)

im not saying the tourneys were bad or anything, but smash can handle not being MLG

look at melee, it hasnt been on MLG for quite a while, and its pretty strong
Okay hahaa. And you're right

Jem.

Smash Master
The responses in this thread only help to illustrate the problems with the Brawl community. MLG is a joke? $60,000+ in prizes, almost $10,000 in stipends that players got just for showing up, and unlike tournaments like Winterfest and SNES, MLG actually pays what is promises. Unlike organizations like the CPL, EGL, WSVG, etc, MLG is still around, and they are around for a reason. Finally everyone who went to the MLG tournaments said they were the best thing they have ever been to and one of the most amazing tournament experiences ever, many said they were the best tournaments of their entire lives.

The joke are people in this community that can't act mature. And MLG is not solely blaming M2K/ADHD, if you listened to the podcast you will hear at least four different reasons for Brawl not returning to the 2011 circuit.

Don't act like spoiled brats. Responses like those in this thread make it nearly impossible for me to defend this community.
This. You guys just don't understand. 2010 Brawl without MLG is pretty much a joke minus Apex 2. Eventually TO's will stop hosting. Gameclucks Guy is already not doing Smash Tourneyplays anymore due to people in the community sucking. Sure, maybe you guys are content with locals or smash never getting bigger than it currently is. But there are people who always want more, and I'm one of them. Brawl won't get bigger without MLG, stop pretending it will. Alex Strife will eventually stop hosting. DBR will eventually stop hosting. Then what? It's just going to be the same, just a joke of a tournament game that will never be big time. MLG wanted smash to stay, don't be confused about that. Sundance really wanted it to work out. But the community showed it's true colors yet again.

Learn from your mistakes. Atleast M2K feels bad. ADHD's blog on AiB is such a joke.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
The responses in this thread only help to illustrate the problems with the Brawl community. MLG is a joke? $60,000+ in prizes, almost $10,000 in stipends that players got just for showing up, and unlike tournaments like Winterfest and SNES, MLG actually pays what is promises. Unlike organizations like the CPL, EGL, WSVG, etc, MLG is still around, and they are around for a reason. Finally everyone who went to the MLG tournaments said they were the best thing they have ever been to and one of the most amazing tournament experiences ever, many said they were the best tournaments of their entire lives.

The joke are people in this community that can't act mature. And MLG is not solely blaming M2K/ADHD, if you listened to the podcast you will hear at least four different reasons for Brawl not returning to the 2011 circuit.

Don't act like spoiled brats. Responses like those in this thread make it nearly impossible for me to defend this community.
It's nearly impossible to really say much for a business that merely does what it wants with your hopes and dreams, just like any other. I fail to see the passion for the community behind the decision, especially considering how hyped the community got over these events.

I can say this much; those of us who wanted to be nice in the beginning have been nice about it. Those who are disappointed with the decision AND have no hope of ever coming to an MLG because they have no desire to play or watch other circuits will definitely be the ones coming in and defending brawl, its players, the community, and legends like M2K to the grave. You can not blame them, and you can not use them as an excuse for the "rest of the community" being impossible to defend. They're not the only ones here.

Hell, it's incredibly hard for even myself to keep from bashing MLG for this decision; all of the factors in this multi-faceted decision as you would call it are exaggerated in my opinion. But I know better; it's not right to bash anyone really. Unless they're straight spitting in your face.

Developers/sponsor support seems to be about the only legitimate reason, and it would have been better if they had just left it at that. But it wasn't left at that.

The split really should not have had any impact on the whole community, and just because some people don't outwardly disagree with it, and others come in and defend the players by saying it's fine, doesn't mean we all should suffer.

Support for MLG was great and attendance (basically apart of the third reason) was the same for the two events I attended: Columbus, and Finals. Maybe that says something about the locations/times for the others? I'm sure it wasn't "underground" tourneys taking their revenue. If it wasn't for school and other related things, I would have been at MLG DC or something, because my friend lives nearby there.

So really, there are three main points; Sponsors, ADHD/M2K, and Support/Attendance. Two of which really aren't as big as they exaggerated. I think Brawl did fine for it's first year, considering all the underlying factors for attendance/support issues. In fact, I think we should dump the ADHD/M2K and Support/Attendance, and blame Sponsorship and Nintendo not letting you guys stream it :(

Anyways, this isn't to say I didn't enjoy MLG. I loved it. Every match I GOT to play, I loved it. The community is so warm, and fun to be with. That was the main point of the game, right? Fun. I just wish it didn't come down to this.

All I can say is, it may not matter much to the people making this decision, but it matters to us. That said, Merry Christmas, MLG Staff, thanks for your early Christmas gift. Sorry we don't have one for you.

EDIT: M2K, I really don't know you well enough to be calling you Jason. Sorry about that. Anywho, I wish I could have gotten to play you again this year, it sucks if you're going to quit playing just because of one mistake. It's not like you're banned from being a god at this game and making money, lol.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
M2K, you should really stop apologizing. You've already been forgiven by the community but you continue to burden yourself with this. It's in the past now, let it go. All you can do is continue onward and go as you were before the incident...besides, I've been wanting to play against you at Winter Game Fest IV. :p

fragbait

Smash Master
Yeah, OP, I'm not gonna kiss MLG's *** and nobody else should. They ignored the methods of our community, and support being split between MLG tourneys and grassroots tourneys is for good reason: MLG didn't give us the recognition and hype that we deserved as a community, not to mention ignored our rulesets and established methods.
Good riddance. See you all at the next National, which will get more entrants than any MLG that wasn't Columbus, because Midwest is da bess.

Reposted here for relevance. Grassroots treated you better anyway. I'll see you at the next nationals.

The biggest MLG brownnoser of all has no place saying such things about the community that got him where he is. Hope you're on someone elses payroll.
inb4 banned for this post.

Life

Smash Hero
Such an outpouring of support...

This is why I brought up the idea of a national circuit, like a Smash-themed MLG. Sure, we have nationals, but MLG is what gave us legitimacy as a community. I sense a business opportunity.

And frankly, I don't think Nintendo's ban on a livestream would hold up in court. MLG would be doing absolutely no damage to Nintendo with a stream, so on what grounds could Nintendo sue them? Copyright? The matches end up on Youtube anyway, welcome to fair use. "But they didn't pay for it!" Yes they did: a Wii and a copy of Brawl run for a combined $250 (some can be recouped if you sell the nunchuck/pack-in games). Multiply that by the potentially dozens of setups that would be needed...

(I don't know if this is the right place to debate either of these paragraphs.)

tl;dr M2K, we're behind you. MLG is being rather dishonest.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Mew2King, you will always be my smash hero no matter what. Thank you so much for being a part of this community.

Hansel34

Smash Cadet

Alpha, wow. If you take a moment to read the majority of the posts, we feel that MLG should not be "dumping" any of the blame on Adhd and M2K. Sure they were wrong... but srsly? Is there really a need to state that as a point? Thats just... bs lol.

Sure some people did state that MLG "sucked", but thats just a few people, a few people does not make a community.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
The one time I meet you, you chain thrown me for nearly a half hour and complainted about it getting boring. The only bad guy I saw was myself for getting grabbed. I enjoyed fighting you even if I didn't take a stock even when I came sooooo close but you deceided to quit before I nearly got one.

M2K do as you wish and only because it's fair to yourrself if you are done with smash maybe you should be i'll respect whatever you do. But people will talk about you in lengend like : O M2K showed up at my tournment like how i've seen people think ken was coming back.

Maybe you could try to look at the game diferently like change how you play or soemthing.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The Brawl community is very self-sufficient and will continue to exist as long as many people enjoy competing at the game. Having players as talented as yourself is more important to the scene than the support of a league is.

Albert.

Smash Master
This. You guys just don't understand. 2010 Brawl without MLG is pretty much a joke minus Apex 2. Eventually TO's will stop hosting. Gameclucks Guy is already not doing Smash Tourneyplays anymore due to people in the community sucking. Sure, maybe you guys are content with locals or smash never getting bigger than it currently is. But there are people who always want more, and I'm one of them. Brawl won't get bigger without MLG, stop pretending it will. Alex Strife will eventually stop hosting. DBR will eventually stop hosting. Then what? It's just going to be the same, just a joke of a tournament game that will never be big time. MLG wanted smash to stay, don't be confused about that. Sundance really wanted it to work out. But the community showed it's true colors yet again.

Learn from your mistakes. Atleast M2K feels bad. ADHD's blog on AiB is such a joke.
This is an idiotic post. I'm kind of upset that nobody else has taken the time to put this s*** down.

Let me deconstruct this step by step:

This. You guys just don't understand. 2010 Brawl without MLG is pretty much a joke minus Apex 2. Eventually TO's will stop hosting.

You're an idiot. There are several big regionals and nationals scheduled for 2011. You did MEAN 2011 right? (Cause 2010 is going to be over in a week lol So I don't think anybody is really worrying about Smash Bros.)

There is no absolutely no indication that TO's will stop hosting Brawl tournaments because the lack of corporate sponsorship/professional organizing. See Brawl and Melee had tournaments before MLG... And both games have had tournaments AFTER MLG. If TOs retire then there are always new TOs to step in. Didn't people think that Melee was gonna slide after MLG dropped them? haha Melee is STILL kicking strong, What a valiant old grandpa of a game. <3

Gameclucks Guy is already not doing Smash Tourneyplays anymore due to people in the community sucking.
Isn't that YOUR region bro? It sounds like you let YOUR community suck

Why would I care about the monthly squable between You, Felix and Nerd for first place. You could just find a host for a normal "inferior grassroots unprofessional" tourney, like how everybody else did before MLG

Sure, maybe you guys are content with locals or smash never getting bigger than it currently is.
Don't the majority of tourney goers usually stay in their region and do their potfilling there? (like me)
Why is it such an awful thing to not be so desperate to travel everywhere?

But there are people who always want more, and I'm one of them. Brawl won't get bigger without MLG, stop pretending it will.
Why would you want to be the guy being like "Yeah, You have your dreams sonny boy, but forget about it, go become a janitor"

dude just stfu.

I am content.

Alex Strife will eventually stop hosting. DBR will eventually stop hosting. Then what? It's just going to be the same, just a joke of a tournament game that will never be big time.
Why are you speaking for all of these people? I believe they have their own accounts and own opinions, you should just let them add their input.

Also, NY/NJ has like 5 other tournament hosts. So does Cali.

It's just going to be the same, just a joke of a tournament game that will never be big time.
If you have such a poor opinion of the game and/or community then why are you still posting here?
MLG wanted smash to stay, don't be confused about that. Sundance really wanted it to work out.
If they wanted smash to stay that badly, I mean, if they "really wanted it to work out" Then they would have made that happen.

$$$.

But the community showed it's true colors yet again.
What ARE you talking about?

I'm actually proud of this community. There may be a lot of dumb*ss posters out there. There may be absolutely horribly trolls.There may be arrogant douche bags and hopelessly skillless potfillers (me) BUT IN THE END, we all pay that entry fee, and we play the game, and we compete. That's what it's about. Nobody needs MLG. In fact, If I wanted to I could get a house tourney going with a dozen different scrubs and get a small little pot going just for me.
SmashBoards is about competitive smash. You can find that anywhere, with anybody, with any host.

Why are you still preaching brah? What is with this ridiculous sense of entitlement that you possess... to be a douche? Yeah bro, It's cool you played halo. Oh, And look, You're a ranked
MK, we really don't have any of those! But your relevance is nothing bro.

m2k feels bad because it's a part of his personality to feel this heavy guilt.
ADHD doesn't feel bad because it's not in his, and he feels as if he did no wrong.

Thats a whole 'nother discussion.

anyway I can type really fast.

This post might seem like it was just rage-directed @ Jem but really, Jem is just a stand-in for the million other people sucking on that corporate teet of MLG.

get over it.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ugh, this community really needs to re-evaluate themselves, just look at the first page, we are all just forgiving M2K for hurting our chances on getting back onto the circuit, while not solely his fault, i was right when i said this fiasco would screw over MLG brawl. The thing is, when posters say the community is fine and will keep going strong, and there are other posters saying how less and less TOs are hosting and how brawl is dieing, its a sign, brawl is slowly dieing, some of us realize this, most of us won't bother to accept this. One thing to note is how yearly tourney attendance for average tourneys has steadily dropped, but as a community there are very few players who step it up and attempt to draw in new players and give old players a reason to not quit, its not healthy, it isn't an extinction of the community, but a weakening, even with big nationals coming up in 2011, that just shows that there are players willing to always travel for brawl, but look at locals+regionals, because they show the true scope of how healthy a community is.

To be more on topic, MLG was our chance to expand, but we wasted it, with a lack of support from the brawl community (in terms of attendence and how we disrespected MLG for laggy TVs and just saying we don't need them) and how brawlers put themselves in positions to get blamed for stuff (doritos incident, m2k/adhd incident) its our fault for brawl being dropped, even without a live-stream, enough attendance would give MLG a reason to keep brawl.

Directly addressing M2K: YOU ARE THE MOST WELL-KNOWN SMASHER AND PRETTY MUCH A FIGUREHEAD FOR THIS COMMUNITY, YOU CAN'T SAY YOUR SORRY IN A LONG POST AND EXPECT THINGS TO BE BACK TO UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS, IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT, YOU HURT OUR CHANCES QUITE IMMENSELY. WHILE PEOPLE SAY YOUR JUST A SCAPEGOAT, THINK ABOUT WHAT SPONSOR COMPANIES NOT DIRECTLY IN THE SMASH COMMUNITY PERCIEVE:
"Oh wow, thats the best player in the smash community and he is splitting and ruining the competitive atmosphere, its really hard for me to want to support a community filled with players like that."
YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY REASON WE WERE DROPPED, BUTTHIS FIASCO WAS THE FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN. THINK BEFORE YOU ACT AND DO WHAT MAKES THE COMMUNITY LOOK GOOD, EVEN IF THAT WOULD MEAN SOMETHING LIKE GIVING SOME OF YOUR TOURNEY MONEY TO CHARITIES.

Honestly, this community has to actually accept its our fault and no one else to pass blame to. Also, accept that MLG was greatly run, most likely having the best brawl tournies ever and fostering major community growth. AZ summed up a lot of good points in his post, and Jem posted some good insights as well, although i feel he was over-exaggerated things and was too radical.

-Googs

Smash Lord
Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp WompWomp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp
Apology accepted.

1) I am going to do like everyone else, and copy everything you did from your videos in melee.

2) I wonder how long your mere break from smash will be. Smash is an addictive drug, we all go back someday.

3) Who is the next uprising person everyone will idolize?

Tesh

Smash Hero
No one else around is even close to as effective as M2K. The next best players are maining the right character for it anyway.

Browny

Smash Hater
YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY REASON WE WERE DROPPED, BUTTHIS FIASCO WAS THE FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN. THINK BEFORE YOU ACT AND DO WHAT MAKES THE COMMUNITY LOOK GOOD, EVEN IF THAT WOULD MEAN SOMETHING LIKE GIVING SOME OF YOUR TOURNEY MONEY TO CHARITIES.
Pretty sure m2ks 'nail' was merely thrown into the mound on top of where brawl had already been buried quite deep.

MLG losing money throughout this entire year because of brawls prize money given away > total attendance revenue and the unknown sums of money lost through potential advertising during streams etc mean there is absolutely no reason for brawl to return, they're not going to operate at a loss for any reason.

No way in hell brawl would have returned with or without this m2k problem. Unless of course MLG like losing money which I assume they dont.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You guys have got to stop being angry at MLG.

Think of all the money MLG has poured into Brawl. Think about it. It boggles my mind. It's like twice the amount I make in a year, full time. A YEAR. That is a CRAPload of money. MLG forces our game into people's faces. It directly targets the market of gamers we want to appeal to -> competitive gamers. Gamers that understand the concept of going out and competing right from the get-go.

Melee had it great back in the day. Halo players, and players from other games were watching us and becoming legitimately interested in picking up the game. Heck, I've even seen threads pop up here where people have said "I saw Brawl at MLG and I want to pick it up. I'm coming straight from a Halo background".

Anybody who thinks they can come up with a reason as to why we're better off, no, you're just wrong. I'll agree completely that we're perfectly fine on our own, and we're perfectly able to pursue other means of increasing the profile of brawl as a competitive game. However I cannot agree that MLG did anything wrong by us.

I cannot fault MLG for dropping Brawl as it did. If I was in the boss chair and was told that there was to be no support from nintendo, I'd be happy enough to cut the game too. Think about the sheer amount of money it takes to support Brawl. Rediculous prize money. Absolutely fricken rediculous. More than is sustainable. They make this money back with product placement on their streams, coverage, advertising. However they can do none of this without Nintendo's support. The moment MLG realised that Nintendo wasn't going to budge on the issue, I'm sure is the moment MLG knew there was no way Brawl would return.

A business has to make money. I'd rather see Brawl dropped for the moment, than see MLG lose even more money supporting a game that doesn't generate a lot of revenue (if any).

metaivan

Smash Apprentice
the fault is from masashiro sakurai for create a very casual game, is just to casual is very very hard play it in a competitive form for this brawl will start to die. and now masashiro sakurai said that he never will make a smash like melee so the glory melee days will never raturn :(

metaivan

Smash Apprentice
and now m2k could only concentrate on melee .he hasnt reasons to play brawl anymore. so he can play melee like the old ages ( i dont think he will do it but that would be great :) )

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

Some of the best posts I've read in a while.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think we should kill really ******** babies. My veiws may be insulting to some. If I say in my opinion all black people have no souls or something like that do you think that's right for me to insult their very existance?

Saltix

Smash Lord
Because of you, I will never be able to attend a MLG event...
my childhood dream is GONE

Prawn

Smash Master
*an MLG event

Maybe if you weren't ******** you could have attended one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom