• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal debate: How will Brawl be controlled? CONTROLLER DISCUSSION HERE

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Haha.

I'd prefer the GC controller above everything.
Just like when Melee came out you (the universal you, not you specificially) would've rather played with the 64 controller. Change is a good thing, friend.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I'd prefer the GC controller above everything.
^^^

Haha.

Just like when Melee came out you (the universal you, not you specificially) would've rather played with the 64 controller. Change is a good thing, friend.

Well, if he actually HAS a Wii and a CC, I guess that's just his opinion. But if he doesn't have a Wii, you're totally right, Sensai.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Id much rather the gamecube controller over the CC i hate the position of the analogue stick on it! but its only there because it was intended to play classic game not Smash games.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

It's called the classic controller because it plays games more oriented towards normal styles, not because it's used to play, literally, the classics.

And GAW, it's definitely his opinion. I was just saying that when Melee was announced, most of us were guffawing (yes, it's a word [not really]) at the thought of playing it with anything but our precious Nintendo 64 controllers. This is the same thing, except a generation later.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
^^^

It's called the classic controller because it plays games more oriented towards normal styles, not because it's used to play, literally, the classics.

And GAW, it's definitely his opinion. I was just saying that when Melee was announced, most of us were guffawing (yes, it's a word [not really]) at the thought of playing it with anything but our precious Nintendo 64 controllers. This is the same thing, except a generation later.
Sorry i didn't mean classics i meant old and people could cope with the change from n64 to gamecube people couldn't from gamecube to wii mote because that just a stupid way to ruin smash bros make the vs mode multiplayer (but other modes i wouldn't care about)

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Id much rather the gamecube controller over the CC i hate the position of the analogue stick on it! but its only there because it was intended to play classic game not Smash games.
That's my take on it too for the most part... In order to move my thumb well on the analog stick I have to move my whole hand over on the control pad... Moving my left index finger from the L button to the left Z button... (Which was probably intended for larger handed pepole wean addressing N64 classic games)

And while this would only slightly benefit me with grabs (Assuming the play control style is the same) It would mess up my shield work & wave dashing for some time until I could get used to doing them with the R button alone...

Still though I think the CC would be a great way to play smash, especially so if they do something crazy like adding D-pad support to game play... (Well I can hope can't I?)

Legolastom

Smash Hero
The CC would make using the analogue stick feel kinda awkward in its position thats why i h8 the playstation controllers

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
The CC would make using the analogue stick feel kinda awkward in its position thats why i h8 the playstation controllers
Sadly PS controls have one up on the CC in terms of grip support...

I don't think finger tip control pads & analog sticks where meant to go hand in hand...

But that's just my take... As I said before... If worst come to worst and there is for whatever resin no NGC control pad support, we would likely start to see a few third party classic control pads coming out our way to fill that void & profit off the demand of it...

Heck even IF the CC is well liked in mass opinion, that would still likely happed without NGC control pad support...

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I saw a chart similar to that back when there was oodles (oodles I say!) of confusion concerning the VC and what could be used where.

The chart above is a little less accurate then the one I had (mostly 'cause it omitted the Wii and Gamecube portions) but not quite as colorful.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
While that image states that for now the NGC controllers will remain in shops I'd honestly have to beg to differ on that... The only pace I can find them now is off the Internet or in the used product bin in games stores or pawn shops...

In fact the NGC game library has been reduced to a whimpering single shelf on an in cap in most major retailers like Target & Wallmart...

Nintendo might want to keep on supporting it but most retailers couldn't care less if it's not selling well enough...

Meaning anyone who's new to games would have a bit of a hard time tracking the NGC controller down comparatively to the Classic Controller...

As such developers are starting to run out of resins to want to support it much longer...

Conker1

Smash Ace
WEll I got a Wii very recently and went out to buy a CC to play some SNES games. My conclusion?

Gamecube controller would and will be best to use. I can see them allowing use of the CC as well. The Wiimote+Nunhcuk, not so much.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me. What are you talking about? do you just have really tiny hands? Do you even own a Wii?I admit that I have big hands, but my classic feels great. The only thing I ever miss is handles, and that rarely.I always prefer to play my N64 games with my classic over my gamecube controllers.

Also, what Sensai said.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well i presume no one would want the wii mote because that would just ruin it no matter which way you used it (in the vs mode of course it can be used for other stuff) and yhea GC controller everyone would want that!

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Not reading through the 18 pages of crap.
Anyone else notice that the symbol next to the 'How to Play' section is a sideways wiimote?
Also, for the description of Pit's arrows it says: "Steering up and down can bend the trajectory."

Could these be signs?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Anyone else notice that the symbol next to the 'How to Play' section is a sideways wiimote?
Also, for the description of Pit's arrows it says: "Steering up and down can bend the trajectory."

Could these be signs?
(Not this again) the wii mote is just there to indicate that the game will be played on the wii your not exactly gonna put a gamecube controller on a wii game are you? and steer that means control so i don't know why that would be a sign of. (remember you could steer ness lightning and dins fire)

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
exactly. i say Gc controller. this game is supposed to be for hardcore gamers. this is not a game where you call your mom and grandmother to come play with you. so not using the wii controller isnt going to be the end of the world. obviously they are banking on the fact that you already own a gc controller and if u dont i guess the Classic controller would suffice.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't banking on the fact that you own a GC controller means they assume that at least half of the current Wii owners had a gamecube? That would seem kindo of stupid on Nintendo's part. Anyways, the CC controller is the anser for games that take a traditional approach to the control scheme. Learn to adapt people

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
I just hope that they offer the three different control schemes (gc controller, classic controller & wiimote/nunchuck) to please *almost* everyone. Personally I will use the GC controllers, because the motion control would be too many erratic movements in a split second game like smash.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion

Could these be signs?
Like Legolas said, these things mean absolutley NOTHING. Sakurai or whoever writes his blogs probably used the word "steer" on purpose since it is vague enough to not say what control scheme we will be using.

exactly. i say Gc controller. this game is supposed to be for hardcore gamers. this is not a game where you call your mom and grandmother to come play with you. so not using the wii controller isnt going to be the end of the world. obviously they are banking on the fact that you already own a gc controller and if u dont i guess the Classic controller would suffice.
Uh... there's ALREADY plenty of Hardcore Wii games that don't have to use the GC controller. The Wii Remote really is a great controller, that, with the addition of a nunchuck, can perform everything any other controller can do and more.

I don't know HOW you figure they are banking on the fact that you already own a GC controller, because they aren't that stupid.

I just hope that they offer the three different control schemes (gc controller, classic controller & wiimote/nunchuck) to please *almost* everyone. Personally I will use the GC controllers, because the motion control would be too many erratic movements in a split second game like smash.
I'm pretty sure they will offer at least three control schemes, and if not, I would bet my life at least two.

And once again, don't be so ignorant as to think that the Wiimote+Nunchuck couldn't be used for Brawl W/O motion sensing.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm pretty sure they will offer at least three control schemes, and if not, I would bet my life at least two.

And once again, don't be so ignorant as to think that the Wiimote+Nunchuck couldn't be used for Brawl W/O motion sensing.
I agree with the fact that they should have 3 control schemes to choose from, but I have to say that I just can't see the Wiimote/Nunchuck working, why you ask? because not only would it ruin the way people play smash but also how people would control it with it's movements (motion sensing) and also there aren't enought buttons for it to work properly so I just can't ever see it working like that imo. GameCube Controller & CC FDW!!

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
GAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen, GigaKoopa, I have no problem with you having your own opinion, everybody does.
It's when you justify your opinion with reasons that have been addressed numorous times and proven irrelevent, that it starts to piss me off.

First, you say it would ruin the way people play smash, but with no reasoning at all.
Next, you say it would also change the way people control it, which is bound to happen, since many people will probably play with a CC or Wiimote and 'Chuck; but that's different. You say it's going to change the way people control it with it's movements, like motion sensing. We've gone over this a gajillion times, the Wii Remote can work fine WITHOUT TEH MOTION SENSING, (try to at least read a page of the thread your in before you post, kthnx). Not only CAN it work fine, Sakurai ALREADY SAID that implementing motion sensing got in the way of the experience. This means it MOST LIKELY WILL NOT BE USED. ("it" being motion sensing, not the wiimote.)

And HOW ARE THERE NOT ENOUGH BUTTONS?

ME said:
NUNCHUCK
Anolog: Move and Jump
Z Button: Attack (A Button on GC)
C Button: Attack (B Button on GC)

WII REMOTE
D-Pad Smash Attack (Like the C-Stick on GC)
A Button: Jump
B Button (Trigger): Air Dodge/Sheild
+ (Plus) Button: Pause
- Button: Options or nothing
1 Button: Possibly enter crawling form from a crouch. Otherwise its nothing.
2 Button: Super Smash Attack. (1 Button and 2 Button controls are interchangeable)

BUTTON COMBINATIONS
B+C: Grab/Pick up Item/Catch Item/Throw Item
B+Down: Airdodge

As far as I'm concerned, this control setup would work perfectly. There would be no motion control, so that you don't have to be "waving your arms all over the place."
Wavedashing would be a fluid, almost better motion than melee. (A+B+Control Stick)
SHFFLing would be cake, quickly tap the A button for a SH, fastfall, L-Cancel with B.

If anybody sees any problems with this setup let me know, but it looks good to me.

That being said, I would still prefer to use a GC controller just because it is more familiar to me. I beleive that Nintendo will release Brawl with Wiimote Nunchuck controls, but people with GC or Classic controllers can use that too.
I've posted this thing EVERYWHERE. How you have not seen it I have no clue.

Anyways, I'm not saying that's the best scheme ever or anything, but it goes to show that not only could it work, it could work WELL.

JEEZ. I'm sorta sick of people not reading.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
It's funny, the classic controller has pressure sensitive L + R buttons, but you can't use it for GC games...

I'm pretty sure Classic Wii Controller will be an option.

Gamecube as well, because they have already said they know people like the GC controller, and in my opinion it is the single best controller to date. Why shaft it?

I agree with the fact that they should have 3 control schemes to choose from, but I have to say that I just can't see the Wiimote/Nunchuck working, why you ask? because not only would it ruin the way people play smash but also how people would control it with it's movements (motion sensing) and also there aren't enought buttons for it to work properly
How do you think people play TP? Excite Truck? Wii Sports? They make the WiiMote work. I think it's also somewhat ignorant to believe it will 'ruin' the way people play Smash... what if it turns out the WiiMote is generally better? Also, you gotta remember that the WiiMote doesn't rely all on buttons, they include motions to the controls. Ex, hard flick right = dodge right. Who knows???

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I'm completely certain that Brawl will be controlled by either the Gamecube controller or the Classic controller. I actually think that Gamecube controllers will be preferable since they have rumble in them; although it's always possible that a new version of the classic controller with rumble will come out.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Meaning, make it a GC controller. Jee jee.

Paranoid, I too feel that way. As much as I believe that the CC will be used, I'm hoping that they choose to also use the Wii remote or the GC remote solely for the rumble. Given, I know plenty of people who don't like rumble...

And GAW, literacy is a blessing and we who own it should cherish what we have.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Here's a rumor from Nintendo Galaxy:
http://www.n-galaxy.com/index.php?do=viewarticle&id=511

Supposedly, Brawl will have 2 control schemes: Brawl, and Classic. Brawl uses Wiimote, classic uses either gamecube controller or classic controller. There are special functionalities for the Wiimote, but the author notes that they feel "tacked on".

I'm not going to vouch for the validity for this, but its interesting.

Vali

Smash Ace
Topics have been posted on it, topics have been closed on it, it's been confirmed as fake. No need to bring it up again. Seriously I don't know why people even begin to believe such rubbish. You could even go so far as to look down the current page of threads to see 2 locked topics on the subject.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
i would think if you bought a wii it would be somewhat smart that you had the Gc controller stashed somewhere because without it, aint no way you could play Gc games first of all. unless all you wanted to play were wii games then good for you. I dont have a problem with the wii remote or adapting to play Brawl with it. But To me it just doesnt make sense to add a completely new control scheme to something that already works excellent and isnt broken just because people dont want to fork out 20 bucks or so for a gc controller.

The layout of the buttons are spot on and theres really no reason for it. and if you do want to buy an additional controller what, your gonna have to buy the wii remote and nunchuck? come on now. it is not that serious. If nintendo wants to make money they will have all 3 control schemes available so people for whatever reason can spend $70 on a wii remote and nunchuck.

the only thing i understand is your probablly going to buy wii games other than Brawl so your like " hey they should make Brawl use the wii remote. That way, if i buy another wii remote and nunchuck i can use it for all the other games im going to buy for my wii." something you cant do with a Gc controller.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
hence why the default is the classic controller. It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to assume any/everyone who bought a Wii had a gamecube, so the layout for the classic controller works fine for Brawl, and getting extra controllers won't be anymore expenceive when they were back in the gamecube days anyway. Brawl doesn't have to support the Gamecube controller OR be played soley on the Wii-mote.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Theres more pointing towards using the wii-mote in some fashion than there is that the GC controller will stay.
Enough said.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Not Really.

They will probably both be useable, but I would actually say there is more evidence that the GC will stay.

Once again, care to elaborate?

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Why would nintendo recycle GC controllers (not to mention them having to restart making new ones) when they could rake in more cash by making us use the Wiimote or Classic Controller?

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I recall reading Sakurai said dont throw away your Gc controllers just yet when refering to Brawl. that can only really mean one thing.

Top Bottom