• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal debate: How will Brawl be controlled? CONTROLLER DISCUSSION HERE

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
You're right, we don't know if tilting and moving can be done at the same time. You said in your quote of yourself, that we didn't even know that we could SHOOT while moving. That's what I thought you were arguing.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeah. I wonder in which manner this thread will tear itself apart....

Will it just disentegrate into nothingness, or will people complain/*****/flame? I'm guessing the latter.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Looks like the title of this thread is finally proving to be untrue. There is an end! YAAHOOO!

Now we just need the specifics pinned down. (Button layout, and how motion control will be implemented, at least for the Wii remote solo style.)

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
WiiMote Alone.

HOW SAKURAI ? , HOW ?
Haha, and some people doubted that the motechuk combo would be used! And now we have just the Wii remote! Hahaha! Crazy!

(BTW, I for one would have bet solid amounts of money that the Wii remote solo style would not be an option, so I too am surprised...)

Sakurai's a mad scientists GENIUS! That's how!

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
wow all four control schemes being used. i knew Gc would for sure along with the classic controller. i thought the remote and nunchuck could possibly work but i doubted it. the remote by itself.... wow. well props to sakurai for finding a way to implement all 4. so yay i have 3 controllers for brawl then. Gc ,remote nunchuck, and just remote. which means i have to learn how to use the other two playstyles somehow. hopefully it's responsive and works well.

nesstee

Smash Apprentice
The best part is Sakurai himself recommended using the GC controller meaing that not only does he prefer it but also that the control is bound to remain the same.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Also for those of you that bring up that the wiimote/chuck will be used for minigames only is NOT TRUE anymore :)

Cause as he said,

"Hmm? How do you do smashes and dashes with just the Wii Remote?
If I get the chance to tell you, I will."

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Something tells me that Wiimote on its side play will end up like Melee's special modes... I mean, not that it will be a special mode, but that it'll be cool and fun for awhile when you first get the game, but it just won't be technical enough for serious players.

Control specific tourneys would be cool... makes me wonder why there are never many special melee tourneys now, even just for fun.

(edit) and I also believe the mote/chuck combo will end up the same way as the single mote method, for the record.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Well unless the other 3 ways to play have some kind of an advantage (Which I really really doubt) most of the people will use the GC controller!

Andromeda

Smash Lord
My thoughts on how Brawl will be controlled with all four different types:

GC-controller:
Hopefully, pretty much like in Melee.

CC:
D-Pad: Propably an alternate character movement, or taunt-buttons.
Right Stick: Character movement or jumping.
Left Stick: Smash-attacks or camera-control.
A-button: Standard-attacks.
B-button: Special attacks.
Y and X: Jumping.
L and R: Shield, rolling and air- and regular dodging.
ZL and ZR: Grabbing or possibly taunting. Or, who knows? Maybe Z-cancelling?
+ and - : Pause or taunt.

Wii Remote + Nunchuck:
Stick: Character movement or jumping.
A-button: Standard-attacks.
B-button: Special attacks.
D-Pad: Jumping.
+ and - : Camera control.
1 button: Pause.
2 button: Taunt.
Z-button: Shield, rolling and air- and regualr dodging.
C-button: Grabbing or lightshielding.

Wii Remote (turned on the side):
D-Pad: Character movement and/or jumping.
A-button: Jumping.
1-button: Special attacks.
2-button: Standard-attacks.
B-button: Shield, rolling, air- and regular dodging and maybe grabbing combined with the 2-button.
+ : Pause.
- : Taunt.

Well, these are just my speculations, I don't know if it's good or bad, but I thought it was ok! :)

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
I did search, and looked back a few pages, and I was suprised not to find any topics about how Brawl will be controlled.

Gamecube controller
My thoughts- If the Wii is meant to be for everyone, would people who have never played games before want to play a game which means you have to fork out cash for some old controllers? Also, if it used GCN controllers, would it not mean Brawl is an upgrade to melee, rather than a new game? This control method would be suited best to the hardcore smashers who have played since the beginning.

Classic Controller
Again, are new gamers going to go and want to fork out more money just to play a game?

Wiimote and Nunchuck
This is the best idea I think. The buttons are largely the same to the gamecube ones, but some Wii features, like the Wiimote for menus, and certain things during battle, like maybe flicking the remote to activate the Smash power

All of these have pro's and cons. New gamers arent going to want to pay more money for a game, but if Nintendo get this wrong, then villages will be burnt to the ground. Discuss.
This is gonna rock cause for all we know different aspect might be easier with diferent controllers such as waveshining.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
The Wiimote does seem pretty limited...seems to be just thrown in for cheap, casual people. The Wiimote and Nunchuk seem pretty feasible, though the lack a second control stick could be a disadvantage for a lot of people. The GCN and CC will probably only have preference differentiate them--given a few years people could get as used to the CC as they are now to the GCN controller--though, the wired option of the GCN controller could have impact.

This update's pretty cool. ;)

Volrec

Smash Lord
I think the MLG rules would be

4 Stock
8 Minute Time Limit
No Items

All that random stuff

And different divisions for each remote. Like the Classic Division(CC), the Gamecube Division(G-Cube), Wiimote division(wiimote), and the Nunchuk division(Wiichuck)

Fawriel

Smash Master
I won't read all the presumably 10-ish pages you guys have probably amassed over the past hours and just say this:

Hehe. ^^

I think the MLG rules would be

4 Stock
8 Minute Time Limit
No Items

All that random stuff

And different divisions for each remote. Like the Classic Division(CC), the Gamecube Division(G-Cube), Wiimote division(wiimote), and the Nunchuk division(Wiichuck)
Having multiple divisions would be somewhat unecessary and cause complications.

But I must say your sig is hilarious.XD

soaz

Smash Ace
i dont think that they will have different divisions for each controller.But im happy that we get to choose.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Since Sakurai said not to worry too much about how to use each setup, I'm thinking they will all operate similarily, and provide simple controls for everyone. With the controller tilted to its side, sure there may not be enough buttons, but there is motions. If you want to dash im guessing you jarr it to the side slightly and press the respective direction, or to jump maybe you flick it up... I'm sure everything will be very simple, operable, and unique, as per Smash template.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
I bet you that using one kind of controller will be more advantageous to a certain type of character while the others help other kinds of characters! There could be so many different variety of attacks!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Well how about that ^_^ Everybody wins!

Told you guys it would use the wiimote. None of the promotional materials will show the GC controller, of that I'm sure.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if there will be tournys for different remotes. I would imagine the the GCN would remain that most popular, but it might be fun to have secondary tournys using wii remote and nunchuck

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This is the best update. EVAR!

I don't have to go out and buy extra controllers now and if I don't like one step-up I can just use another. I only thought they'd support 3, but now they have 4? That's a shock.

I think divisions for remotes in tournaments would be unnecessary, it'd be too much of a hassle to either get everyone to use one type of controller or separate people just because they have a preference for something as minute as a controller.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
so even though they said they wouldn't now it seems like the might throw in a little motion control as a gimmick. ironically, just like that fake info from the nintendo summit i posted said. '-_-

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ironically, yes.

Am I the only one who remembers them clearly saying they weren't going to put in motion controls?

I mean, by all means, go ahead and do it, Sakurai. It would, after all, look bad to have a Wii game that needs a different controller to play. As long as the GCN controls are sharp, I won't mind, either way, but you can't give them criticism for giving the players more options. Criticize them options if they suck, I suppose--but we don't know yet.

All I know is this option will hopefully be done well so that my girlfriend, who hates all of the buttons, will be able to play.

YoYoBoY

Smash Cadet
I can't wait to see how Smash feels with a classic controller. I just love the look and feel of that thing, hopefully the control is implemented properly. It also has the most buttons of any of the controllers (an extra "z" button when compared to GCN), which should mean the tightest controls.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
4 ways??? Nice!

So I guess you can have four people playing at the same time in a different way.

I

i8waffles612

So now there is not point for this thread lol

4 ways... wow no one saw this coming today

best update so far

Chill

Red
BRoomer
All I know is this option will hopefully be done well so that my girlfriend, who hates all of the buttons, will be able to play.
Haha, I don't think they will implement a 'shake to win' control scheme.

If the wiimote requires any motion controls I think it will be used the least. Even the slightest lag would put you at a disadvantage to other players.

Weej

Smash Cadet
indeed, I love how he says he prefer the GC controller because of the rumble..., I just can't see the wii remote turned sideways being such a great control scheme.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
Why are you talking motion sensor? They said they aren't going to use it and they problary won't. All the controllers work without.

Top Bottom