• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The EVO-ruleset (continued...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrippersandBeer

Smash Apprentice
K. Yuna. I didn't read ANY of your long winded arguements/points etc... Look. I dont' know if items/final smashes are still in, and I def hit up Mr. Wizard about this, and I def support NO items/final smashes/stage counters/neutrals etc.... I enter tournies for Brawl and ONLY have had items/final smashes in those gamestop and official Nintendo launch tourny in LA.

So again to sum up , go to Evo, there will be NO items/final smashes. Boys over at Shoryuken and Evo know about community support and will do things right. I've been going to their tournies yearly for quite some time now. If you mad, blame God.

-peace

crazygoose

Smash Cadet
I'll be nice to you. One more post like that and you're gone. You have nothing but misinformation, as well as swearing, censor dodging, and general idiocy. But I'll let you stay if you don't do it again.
Misinformation? All I did was comment on the state of affairs. I don't know how this constitutes misinformation, but w/e. You seem to be a pretty decent person, so despite having no attachment to these boards what so ever, as a personal favor TO YOU, I'll try and tone it down.

Though I feel I should level with you. I've been IP banned twice already, yet here I am still. You can't expect a person such as myself to simply walk into the viper's nest without an IP Proxy, could you?

Moving on. As for Yuna, he's/she's nothing more than a scrub. If it is going to type up a freaking essay about how it feels descriminated against simply because Evo wants to use items, then it is nothing more than a scrub who isn't worth acknowledging.

StrippersandBeer

Smash Apprentice
just read on shoryuken: "beta rules for ssbb at evo are going up soon." - Mr. Wizard. 5-8-08

i know the guy. he knows what he's doing and trust there will be no items etc.... UNLESS it is officially sponsored by Nintendo or something that wants items on. And if they say, then it is so.

matrixmatt

Smash Cadet
it's really sad things coming to this. when i heard about brawl being in evo i was happy...i was expecting the time to be shortenend and i was ok with that it would have been like FRX 11. but now the game has been turned to random luck and if i'm paying to play i like to have my *** handed by someone with some skill not by an smash ball luigi upper instant k.o. it's funny to...there was already a set rules that was decided on by an consenses so why would that be a problem for mr.wizard to use. if marvel had a new set of rules they would instantly use it...the with any other kinda fighter. hopefully this is one big wii tennis joke later on but that's me probably being optamistic...so i'll be going to SBO (super battle opera) in japan instead and maybe evo if i still have money (for tekken). and who ever says somthing along the lines " when you get lemons make lemonade" that's bull**** because they gave you the lemonade but w/no cup or sugar (if that analogy makes since).

KaosKun

Smash Cadet
To be honest whatever about evo. If they really want to see how good their winner of the tourney is he can play in one of the, as they deem it, "smash scene" tournies...i would like to see them go up against someone like KDJ PC or Cort with our rules and see how good they are...but whatever...i couldn't care less let them do it their way and we can do it ours...

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
So, what about the dedede farming items? ^_^

"I'm in ur smashville, farming ur itemz" ?

or

"You have no time to ponder such questions...

since DDD just farmed your smash balls"

I'm making it my personal responsibly to bring this up every 10 posts or so now. People seem to keep ignoring us Samochan! Probably because we're only ones having a light hearted attitude towards this. xD

Btw, I'm working on an image right now, but my skillz kinda suck at it, but we'll see how it turns out.

"LOLZ, I'm in ur smashvillez, farming ur itemz" seems like the best one. xD

dirty1

Smash Cadet
this has nothing to do with this but..

kizzu... put out more TL videos. kthnx. <3 <3

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
I had actually found a video of an items tournament final with MK and Wolf.

wolf got the smash ball and what had to happen sadly happened.

MK lost two stocks an proceeded to lose.

poor him. he was more skilled/had char adv.. no reason why he should've lost.

Cyntalan Maelstrom

Smash Ace
NNID
Cyntalan
3DS FC
4227-1428-3954
I had actually found a video of an items tournament final with MK and Wolf.

wolf got the smash ball and what had to happen sadly happened.

MK lost two stocks an proceeded to lose.

poor him. he was more skilled/had char adv.. no reason why he should've lost.
With Wolf's? But it's so short...

Honestly, I can understand dying once to Fox's, and to a lesser extent Falco's. But twice? To Wolf's? I'd love to see the vid, 'cause from the sound of it, that's kinda sad.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
With Wolf's? But it's so short...

Honestly, I can understand dying once to Fox's, and to a lesser extent Falco's. But twice? To Wolf's? I'd love to see the vid, 'cause from the sound of it, that's kinda sad.
I can understand how its done. A cannon shot to the face followed by a lift off when he respawned.

Though, with a relatively fast character like MK, I'm surprised it happened too. I'm pretty sure a dash -> Down B disappearing thing would get him off in time. It definitely happens with slower character a lot more though. They just can't get off the **** tank in time.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Misinformation? All I did was comment on the state of affairs. I don't know how this constitutes misinformation, but w/e. You seem to be a pretty decent person, so despite having no attachment to these boards what so ever, as a personal favor TO YOU, I'll try and tone it down.

Though I feel I should level with you. I've been IP banned twice already, yet here I am still. You can't expect a person such as myself to simply walk into the viper's nest without an IP Proxy, could you?

Moving on. As for Yuna, he's/she's nothing more than a scrub. If it is going to type up a freaking essay about how it feels descriminated against simply because Evo wants to use items, then it is nothing more than a scrub who isn't worth acknowledging.
the smash community and he are not just mad that Evo is using items in their brawl tournament, but I would say we are more mad at the blatant disregard of our ideas. This Mr. Wizard character has seemingly ignored every point we try to make about why items should not be allowed. Why wouldn't people get mad when they have a legitimate point that the person in charge refuses to listen to. He won't even consider it. I think if he truly considered our points, weighed all the factors, and did another testing period, and came to the same conclusion, the smash community would be significantly less upset.

as for calling Yuna a scrub: what do you know? Yuna is really well respected by the smash community and is quite at this game (having seen him in action myself). Why do you devolve to using insults when you don't even know what you're talking about?

Rebel581

Smash Champion
3 stock 5 min? I never understood why Brawl tournament hosters have a complete fascination with lowering the time limit from the 8 min standard that melee set. How ironic that Brawl matches have three stock instead of four because they take so long, yet the time limit is lessened greatly. The majority of my matches last 5-7 min, whereas in melee they'd last about 3-4. Does anyone else see the idiocy here?!
OMFG! They have a Haruhi avatar now? I love my Altair avatar, but Haruhi... decisions decisions. Dammit.

I'm in for "I'm in your smashville, farming your items." Need any help? I can make other funny pictures too.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Well I'm first going to explain who I am. A "casual" gamer who has played in decent sized Smash Tournes (Justin Wong even played in this one: Season Beatings at Columbus Ohio) and a "pro" gamer for Tekken.

I also just recently ran a Brawl Tournament that had the "melee" style rule set and a "casual" FFA rule set that helped to prevent camping/ganging up on people.

At: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=564

This tourne had Overswarm winning the "melee" one and came in 5th for the "casual" one. The group of people I normally play with placed in the top 4. (Because we are use to doing FFAs with all items/stages due to having lots of people wanted to play and want items on, Rotation Mode for the win!)
Somebody uses rotation mode? WTF lol. Nothing wrong with that. It's just the first time I've ever heard of it since the dojo announcement.

And um... ffa tourneys will never be taken seriously lol. I beat a random scrub who won a free for all tourney that hugs (or was it wes?) and direvulcan entered at MAGfest. I can safely say I'm nowhere near their level. It was a melee tournament, but nothing has changed about the game to affect the basic attributes of ffa, ganging up against the better player and the random craziness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44i-EM2thqo (Real Men Use Items)

I will admit the Star Rod spawn was complete luck (at 0:15) and Marth could have been thrown into the Mine anyway.

But the other things could have avoided.

The Mine can be detonated as Marth and Roy (Ike, Peach, Squirtle and Wario [not 100% sure] in Brawl as well) without taking damage. (Short hop to D-B onto it, its hard to do but so is comboing with Wavedashing). You prolly could have Wavedashed to Shield into it as well. This should have been done once Marth realized that he trapped himself.
The mine can also be exploded with pk fire but that's not the point. The player was still in hitstun after being hit by the capsule that spawned on top of them after they were being thrown. Honestly, does nobody see the capsule >_>

The Star Rod throw could have easily (easy for the skilled) been dodged: Marth had time to fast fall to do an Up-B, air dodge or do a well timed D-B instead of doing a f-a (or whatever that was, I don't know my Marth too well. Maybe he was trying to catch the rod and misread his opponent)

Point is, it wasn't pure bull and could have been avoided if the player had more experience with the items. He had plenty of time to do different things and probably knows what to do next time.
The guy was rewarded with one of the most powerful projectiles in the game after he knocked off his opponent completely randomly. The guy probably didn't even know the star rod spawned until it hit him because he was trying to recover. As he probably wasn't expecting it at all then he probably wouldn't have thought to do what was best in his situation lol. Besides, so what if he made it back to the stage. After he did any option, the opponent could just punish him and throw the item at him. The only thing he could have done was catch the item as it as being thrown at him. This is obviously very hard since even though peach's turnips the link's bombs act the same way, they are still viable projectiles.

He wasn't expecting it at all, and even if he made it back to the stage, he would've been screwed anyways. It would've knocked him off the ledge and sheik could've just edgeguarded him (sheik is good at doing that vs. Marth).

Also the Marth player took a risk for attacking the crate, that could have exploded. But that is the whole risk with capsules and crates anyway. If you want to risk getting more items at one point, then be aware of how it can back fire before doing it.
The Marth player spaced himself so the explosion wouldn't it. The explosion has a surprisingly small hitbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBTJe-nXyY

That was a nice item combo at 3:35. The hot head is like a pokeball, who ever launches the item is the owner (so reflected items are then owned by the person who did the reflecting). Definitely applies to Hot-Heads and pokeballs.
The items also get a big damage boast when reflected: Pit's forward B adds even more damage because the hothead is being hit by the F-B afterwards but has that "Reflect"property still (glitch) thus breaking the shield and killing the guy instantly when he used the Shield.
Everybody knows what happened. And plz don't tell me that was a combo. Both players weren't even expecting it.

Regardless, the player who was winning before getting screwed still won the game because he was an overall better player. The player also wouldn't have gone for the reflect if he knew that it wouldn't happen.
Forward lost the game....

So if people can spend hours training for a no-items tourne, then why not an all-items on also? (My view of Item fairness will be explain in another post)
They could discover all sorts of fun tricks/glitches.
After all that is how Wavedashing was discovered (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that)
Nobody wants to play with items though. Wavedashing was first discovered very soon after the game was released. It was re-discoverd again by a Luigi player trying to land faster to the stage to grab an item. It (as well as dash-dancing) was popularized through Ken using it

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=10999 (The Aim thingy)
Mr. Wizard definitly seems like a jerk at first, but when you stop and think about it... how many times in the past has some guy talk to him on AIM/Email about running a tournament/ coming up with a rule set that had no idea what they were talking about? (Say for instance, the ruleset suggested was ALL Items, Space animals banned, Kongo Falls only or the eviavelent to the other games). Evo is very large and they need to be firm in their desicions. They can't let other change their minds about something once the event is being planned.
It isn't some random guy telling him to change the rules though. It's an entire community.

Also people should give more credit to Evo. Without big events like Evo, we wouldn't have a strong community we do now where we can take a party game like Smash Bros. and refine the crap out of it to create a decent fighter while having the world agree on it. It's absolutely amazing! Evo has allowed players to meet from everywhere for many games and the community grows and learns from it. They know what they are doing.
Smash was featured at evo last year and it wasn't smash's biggest tournament that year. We've only been there once. The smash scene did not grow exponentially due to evo.

New games usually have a hard time getting into Evo because of the same problem this game is having: People can't agree on a rule set. (Happened with Tekken 5: DR and Soul Caliber 3 as I recall) This takes time and it will be done correctly. (Brawl isn't going anywhere and another one won't be out for a decade)
A ruleset has been decided that a majority agreed upon. The approximately 30 members of smash SRK are arguing for items. Almost an entire community is against them. EVO has decided to go for those 30 people.

So to summarize:
1) If you don't think I have credit/proof, don't address these things. I'll still post my other 4.
2) There are many ways around/planning with items
3) Evo has been successful with other games in its gatherings but it took time to get there. Give them time to deal with a new game.
1) I didn't have time to deal with this until now cuz of aps.
2) There are also many ways to outplan those plans. People just prefer playing with them off. All the reasons people post don't make items broken, it's just that people prefer playing with them off. You can't plan around items as you can never accurately predict when an item will spawn and you can't really factor in stage control as items are set to spawn close to player. Even though the person controlling the center of the stage may have an advantage in the number of item spawns, but since controlling the center of the stage is usually a good thing in regular brawl anyways for most characters, it doesn't really add much.
3) What time can we give them? They aren't changing the rules, and the likelihood of brawl returning after what happened this year is very unlikely.

Also, Dedede and Peach can pull out Bomb-ombs and capsules with items turned off AND item rate on None. (Though no items will come out of the capsule, not sure if the capsule could be an explosive)
If DDD can the rate is low enough that it doesn't matter in the long run. I've played DDD quite a lot and this has yet to happen with me.

That was known about Peach since melee (she can pull death turnips, semi-death turnips, beamswords, bo-ombs, and mr. saturns)

And Diddy's Bananas are just as much everyone elses than it is for him! (Sorry, I didn't want to look through 10 pages to find the exact quote: Someone said the bananas is an unique advantage to Diddy that no one else should have access to). Learn to catch items! (Yes you can catch peanuts also, other Dededes can indirectly catch waddle dees and Doos with timed forward Bs) And learn your reflecting moves (Ness/Lucas's Bat/Stick, Robs F-B etc, Ike and Marths Counter[Well doesn't reflect but you wont get hit by the item either] and super armor moves)

Finally: I don't mean to insult people when I say "Skill is required to do this" when players failed to do something. Skill is being able to apply what you know in a game. If you don't know something, then how can you skillfully do it?
And if I post anything that was said before or any info people might know about, that stuff is more for people who didn't have the patience to read everything to now and for people who might not know anything about Item Warfare.
My opinion on what "side" I'm on will come in post 4.
There's more to skill than that, but that's just another thing altogether and not really related to items.

I was confused on your 2nd paragraph here. Can you reword it lol.

Next time: Items

Sorry for the read
TheKiest
Are u keits?

And weren't we talking about items lol.

Cyntalan Maelstrom

Smash Ace
NNID
Cyntalan
3DS FC
4227-1428-3954
I can understand how its done. A cannon shot to the face followed by a lift off when he respawned.

Though, with a relatively fast character like MK, I'm surprised it happened too. I'm pretty sure a dash -> Down B disappearing thing would get him off in time. It definitely happens with slower character a lot more though. They just can't get off the **** tank in time.
Oh, I know the process, I just have a hard time understanding how someone could both fail at avoiding death by Wolf's landmaster in such little time to having respawned AND failing to get off the landmaster. With Metaknight. I'd blame lack of understanding the basics of how the FS is used to defend against it more than a problem w/ Wolf's FS. His is so short you're lucky to do the damage you need to get the kill. Forget scooping up someone off the top. That's why I'd like to see the vid. Until I see it, I can only assume massive failure on the MK player.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Well, due to a request earlier, I did a bunch of tests (you should thank me for these as they are incredibly time consuming, moreso than one would think) concerning dropping items. Well, it's not just smash balls and dragoon parts that drop out of you based on who's winning. It's any item that you can drop.

Basically, take my tests from, before 2 Marios, Final Destination, and a single type of item. I put 1 Mario in the losing position and let them both grab the item (such as a ray gun). Then have the Marios jab each other until they drop their items. Losing players can make winning players drop their items before winning players can make losing players drop their items. However, it is not as blatantly obvious as with the smash balls and dragoon. It's actually based on the power of the item.

Let me explain, the game thinks of Dragoon parts and Smashballs as really powerful and easily game-changing. Thus, it will make it very easy for a losing player to knock it out of a winning player and make it very hard for a winning player to knock it out of a losing player in hopes of evening things out.

However, the game doesn't really think of Fans and Fireflowers as a big of deal in that concern. So the amount of damage needed to knock the item out of the other player seems pretty equal. That is, until you make the advantage one player has over the other huge. Then it becomes obvious, the losing player simply won't drop their item when they are losing by a huge margin (a margin that will never be reached using our rules).

So it really doesn't matter, it won't effect things much since the most advantage we'll ever see is a 2 stock lead and that isn't enough for this to come into play for all items except Dragoon parts and Smash Balls.

However, the bias is still there. Items have been intended to favour the losing player. Which is dumb, but it's really only a big problem for Dragoon Parts and Smash Balls, I don't see it having any effect concerning the remaining items you can drop (that is unless we want to convert to 99 stock).
-----
A side note: A little interesting fact is that you can group character specific items (such as Peach's turnips) into the Smash Ball and Dragoon Parts category concerning how easy it is for losing players to knock them out of winning players and vice versa.
-----Personal opinions hidden in spoiler-----
Also, please people, actually do some tests on these types of things, I seem far too many posts concerning randomness and such. Do some tests on the other mechanics of items. Trying to find spawning and such is great and all, but looking at how they drop out of players is a great way to look at it as well. From this we can basically see items are designed to favour the losing player. Looking at who items favour after someone has gotten an item is equally important.
-----
Never, ever compare randomness present in trading card games to this. I've seen people trying to use arguments using chess and MTG and the such. Don't. Especially talking about card games and randomness being accepted. It's really insulting to the people who play card games. I come from competitive Yu-Gi-Oh, and am fairly highly ranked and I can tell you that randomness is hated. You can't go a match without someone complaining about losing to 'top-decking'. Randomness is something we have to deal with, there is no option. However, Smash does have this option. Yu-Gi-Oh constantly refreshes its ban list in order to eliminate cards that are simply too powerful when you randomly 'top-deck' them (such as Change of Heart, oh god how terrible that card is). I see many people criticize the large ban list Yu-Gi-Oh has, and this was addressed by the alternate ruleset being poised (the traditional format) to satisfy these people. No one plays traditional. The point I'm trying to address is that even TCGs such as Yu-Gi-Oh try to eliminate randomness (I could go into tons of depth concerning how the very thought process in creating your deck is built upon decreasing the randomness in your deck, but I'm sure there's an article or two on metagame.com about it.) So yes, even TCGs where randomness is present, view it as a bad thing.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I argue with Xiivi on everything he said.

I remember playing magic casually with my friends and I remember the person who won had the most reliable deck. You can't really rely on being lucky lol.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Also, please people, actually do some tests on these types of things, I seem far too many posts concerning randomness and such. Do some tests on the other mechanics of items. Trying to find spawning and such is great and all, but looking at how they drop out of players is a great way to look at it as well. From this we can basically see items are designed to favour the winning player. Looking at who items favour after someone has gotten an item is equally important.
Is that a typo that's supposed to say it favors the losing player? As that's what your post seemed to imply. I might have understood it wrong.

Great post though. I couldn't agree more, and that information is actually very useful even without items. Knowing that I have a larger chance to knock a turnip out of Peach's hand when I'm losing (despite not much) is a nice touch.

It would also explain why I feel like the smash ball gets knocked out of me so much more easily than everyone else.

Either way, I'm going to test my theory on how smash balls work quickly, and then post back here (as we need to know about that too now apparently). I would also like someone to check my item spawn theory many pages back about putting the spawn points in queues. I don't have the time to test that one with another final tomorrow. My break time between studying doesn't cover the time I'd need to test that.

EDIT: Read it as agree. It's a typo. Argue doesn't even make sense in that context.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Xiivi, good stuff. I hope you don't mind, but I've been posting your work (givin' ya credit of course) on the SRK boards, to see if they'll start initiating tests, too, and make this research come out faster.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Is that a typo that's supposed to say it favors the losing player? As that's what your post seemed to imply. I might have understood it wrong.
Thanks, I was afraid I'd make a typo that could confuse people somewhere in that wall of text. But yes, items do favour the losing player, in an attempt to balance out skill between the players.

Great post though. I couldn't agree more, and that information is actually very useful even without items. Knowing that I have a larger chance to knock a turnip out of Peach's hand when I'm losing (despite not much) is a nice touch.
Yeah, basically Link, Peach, etc... (not Diddy, his bananas count in the normal item catergory) are basically hurt by this information. Sad.

It would also explain why I feel like the smash ball gets knocked out of me so much more easily than everyone else.
I already ran tests on Smash Balls and Dragoon Parts and posted about their bias earlier on in this thread. It is glaringly obvious.

EDIT: Read it as agree. It's a typo. Argue doesn't even make sense in that context.
Thanks, looks like I'm not the only one prone to typos that confuse people.

Xiivi, good stuff. I hope you don't mind, but I've been posting your work (givin' ya credit of course) on the SRK boards, to see if they'll start initiating tests, too, and make this research come out faster.
Feel free too. I'd love to see them do more shallow tests than I have done and say I'm wrong. I'm sure they'll have 1 player losing by 1 stock or something and see the winning player make the losing player drop the item with 1 jab and dismiss it. (That can happen, the difference needs to be huge for it to actually matter with exception of Smash Balls and Dragoon Parts.) I simply wanted to find if the bias is present or not for all items, which it is, just not significant with exception of the two previously mentioned.
What annoys me is that now that I'm no longer at college I no longer have access to recording equipment. However, I doubt anyone would like the see the multiple hour infinite time matches I used for testing anyway.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I already ran tests on Smash Balls and Dragoon Parts and posted about their bias earlier on in this thread. It is glaringly obvious.
I'm not doing item bias. I wanted to find the way Smashballs break. I found this.

Beforehand, I thought Smashballs broke due to a random number generator that was affected by how much it had been hit and how long it had been out. This was to explain why my multi-hit attacks seemed to never break the smash ball. After running some tests, smash balls do NOT break randomly, ever. I repeated it every time I broke a smashball. It takes two of Pit's dairs (24 damage) to break it open every time. Pit's uair (24 damage) also took two hits. Dair does not multi-hit, uair does.

I then ran tests with Ike to try and break it in one hit. Ike's fsmash (23 damage I think) could NOT break open the smash ball in one hit when it came out. It brought it down to one hit range though with any attack (which was his Aether in the tests, as it was obvious when it was the first hit or one of the multi hits. So I estimate the HP to be around 25. This would put Pit's attacks (both 24 damage), into around killing range. And since his took two attacks every time, I'm going to chalk the rest to degeneration (since 24 hp bugs the **** out of me).

Degeneration is quite definitely an exponential curve. As how long I had to wait until Aether was one hit open (12-13 seconds) was a lot less (relatively) to usmash, which was around 5-6 seconds. Aether (1-3 damage) and Usmash would put that at a 1-3:12-13 and 17:5-6 ratio. That is HUGE. It cannot possibly be a linear curve at that point.

So while I'm pretty much reiterating what we already know, I can confirm it is an exponential curve, it has a set amount of HP (probably 25), and it will never open in one hit upon spawning. I CAN confirm though, that if you're Pit, a relatively weaker character, you can break it open in two hits easily while you're opponent is off the stage.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I know the process, I just have a hard time understanding how someone could both fail at avoiding death by Wolf's landmaster in such little time to having respawned AND failing to get off the landmaster. With Metaknight. I'd blame lack of understanding the basics of how the FS is used to defend against it more than a problem w/ Wolf's FS. His is so short you're lucky to do the damage you need to get the kill. Forget scooping up someone off the top. That's why I'd like to see the vid. Until I see it, I can only assume massive failure on the MK player.
most likely. it was an items tourney what would you expect -_- (and yes MK sucking implies the wolf sucked too)

I tried to find the link but the video is buried in tons of mindless matches. my tag searching powers can only get me so far...

i still wish to find the video for the lulz

polarity

Smash Apprentice
Never, ever compare randomness present in trading card games to this. I've seen people trying to use arguments using chess and MTG and the such. Don't. Especially talking about card games and randomness being accepted. It's really insulting to the people who play card games. I come from competitive Yu-Gi-Oh, and am fairly highly ranked and I can tell you that randomness is hated. You can't go a match without someone complaining about losing to 'top-decking'. Randomness is something we have to deal with, there is no option. However, Smash does have this option. Yu-Gi-Oh constantly refreshes its ban list in order to eliminate cards that are simply too powerful when you randomly 'top-deck' them (such as Change of Heart, oh god how terrible that card is). I see many people criticize the large ban list Yu-Gi-Oh has, and this was addressed by the alternate ruleset being poised (the traditional format) to satisfy these people. No one plays traditional. The point I'm trying to address is that even TCGs such as Yu-Gi-Oh try to eliminate randomness (I could go into tons of depth concerning how the very thought process in creating your deck is built upon decreasing the randomness in your deck, but I'm sure there's an article or two on metagame.com about it.) So yes, even TCGs where randomness is present, view it as a bad thing.[/spoiler]
Uh, people who play Yu-Gi-Oh are an insult to people who play real card games. It's a joke of a game and there's no way you can take its playerbase's opinions as worth a ****, because if they knew anything about what makes a good game they'd be playing MTG.

Randomness may be hated by the community, but anyone with a basic familiarity with game design is aware that randomness in card games OBVIOUSLY makes the game better. Randomness means you can't rely on simple strategies like "I have this card in my deck to counter this card in his deck, so if he plays that card I just play this card". The way you should play the matchup isn't known and set as soon as you know what deck your opponent is playing. With randomness, you are forced into sub-optimal conditions which you must creatively adapt to. The number of different board/hand configurations is far larger than if the games had no randomness, meaning the game heavily rewards being able to creatively adapt to a variety of situations... much like items-on Brawl!

Obviously you can mitigate randomness in TCGs by deck construction and controlling the card/time advantage, but, guess what, you can do the same in Brawl too!

Anyway, as I said earlier, hitting items out of the enemy favoring the loser isn't really a bad thing. There is often a problem in competitive games (MvC2, Starcraft, Chess) with winning the match giving exponential returns. That is, establishing an advantage allows you even more rewards and greater capacity to win, making it very difficult for the losing player to make a comeback. This is extremely anti-competitive, since it means after the necessary lead has been established, the rest of the match is essentially irrelevant (ever notice how StarCraft players often say 'gg' long before they actually lose the game?).

So how is this relevant to items-on Brawl? The player that's controlling more of the stage is likely already winning the match, but, in addition to that, they also receive the added benefit of having access to the majority of the items. They're already winning, so to allow them capacity to win even more simply by virtue of already winning is problematic and totally in opposition to the fairness you guys seem so crazy about. The solution, as detailed in this article, is to implement a system which grants small advantages to the losing player, hence what you see in Brawl.

That Sakurai was able to notice this would be a problem and fix it is the mark of an extremely observant and prescient designer, and I applaud him for it.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
So, what about the dedede farming items? ^_^

"I'm in ur smashville, farming ur itemz" ?

or

"You have no time to ponder such questions...

since DDD just farmed your smash balls"
if by farming you mean (goon farming) thats an april fools joke, it wasnt real...
in case you didnt missed that.
if by farming you mean sideB spam till you eventually get items, i dont think itd be worth it.
i was suprised when i heard how broken these rules are, next thing you know theyll be holding coin matches...

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Anyway, as I said earlier, hitting items out of the enemy favoring the loser isn't really a bad thing. There is often a problem in competitive games (MvC2, Starcraft, Chess) with winning the match giving exponential returns. That is, establishing an advantage allows you even more rewards and greater capacity to win, making it very difficult for the losing player to make a comeback. This is extremely anti-competitive, since it means after the necessary lead has been established, the rest of the match is essentially irrelevant (ever notice how StarCraft players often say 'gg' long before they actually lose the game?).
agreed.

btw we should thank Mr Wizard

we wouldn't know all of this stuff if it wasn't for him

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
agreed.

btw we should thank Mr Wizard

we wouldn't know all of this stuff if it wasn't for him
Why would we care either way? It's not like most tournies would play with items anyways. Wo hoo we found out that the loser player has a better chance of hitting dragoon pieces and smash balls out of winning players and items try to spawn near people so they can pick them up faster. GREAT DISCOVERIES FOR ITEM PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Polarity, most fighting games don't have a problem of "slippery slope." Introducing loser advantages through randomness to counteract someone playing better is not a good way to balance the game. It's like saying Luigi's misfire makes him more balanced with the high tiers, because he has an 1/8th of not having a gimpable recovery like the high tiers. The fallacy of using randomness to balance a fighting game and automatic scaling for the loser playing to balance out characters or mechanics. Please do not use the more random chance to do more damage for the loser player in SF 2.

Leave randomness to things that need them by design like card games and leave the "losing player" having the advantage to puzzle games.

polarity

Smash Apprentice
Why would we care either way? It's not like most tournies would play with items anyways. Wo hoo we found out that the loser player has a better chance of hitting dragoon pieces and smash balls out of winning players and items try to spawn near people so they can pick them up faster. GREAT DISCOVERIES FOR ITEM PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Polarity, most fighting games don't have a problem of "slippery slope." Introducing loser advantages through randomness to counteract someone playing better is not a good way to balance the game. It's like saying Luigi's misfire makes him more balanced with the high tiers, because he has an 1/8th of not having a gimpable recovery like the high tiers. The fallacy of using randomness to balance a fighting game and automatic scaling for the loser playing to balance out characters or mechanics. Please do not use the more random chance to do more damage for the loser player in SF 2.

Leave randomness to things that need them by design like card games and leave the "losing player" having the advantage to puzzle games.
Items-on Brawl DOES suffer from slippery slope, so it's irrelevant what "most fighting games" have a problem with.

What is random about the loser needing less hits to knock an item out of the opponent?

And card games don't need randomness by design. Sirlin is working on a card game that implements no randomness, for one thing.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
^^that attitude is the reason why Evo run the items-on tourney in the first place

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Items-on Brawl DOES suffer from slippery slope, so it's irrelevant what "most fighting games" have a problem with.

What is random about the loser needing less hits to knock an item out of the opponent?

And card games don't need randomness by design. Sirlin is working on a card game that implements no randomness, for one thing.
Items were already like this. Randomness always benefits the loser player. If the better player has the right luck, he beats his opponent more senselessly which in the end doesn't benefit him. If the other player gets the right luck, he has a better chance of winning. This just helps the losing player even more.

You are right. I don't know what that had to do anything. But my opinion on randomness balancing out characters and game mechancis still stand.

I don't know what card game can be that good without being random. Every card game has relied on randomness to have any kind of depth what so ever. If this happens, I would like to see it.

@BigRick again who cares? Good for them I guess that they like items. Might as well tell me that some people want to play another fighting game. I play Brawl (probably no longer cause the game is pretty garbs anyways) with items off which is the same Brawl I will probably like to play compared to with items on.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That Sakurai was able to notice this would be a problem and fix it is the mark of an extremely observant and prescient designer, and I applaud him for it.
You give Sakurai far too much credit. When he designed Brawl, he did not have the intent of it being 1v1 matches. He's been repeatedly quoted that he made Brawl for us to "play it the way you want it to be played." There is no design intended to mitigate some "slippery slope" here. Rather, it's just for whoever's behind to have an easier time taking the lead. This can apply to 1v1, or 2v2, or 1v2, or some sort of free-for-all game. Apparently, making it more difficult for the losingest player to lose would add "intensity" to a game.

The things you're noting are a happy little mistake as a result of something else, similar to how in Melee, air-dodging at an angle into the ground would cause you to slide along based on your traction.

StrippersandBeer

Smash Apprentice
1. ITEMS SHOULD NOT BE ON FOR EVO SSBB. there is no arguement to be made for them. nintendo ran an official tourny with them to promote the game, and that should be the end of it. items are for fun and not skill.

2. NORMAL RULES FOR NEUTRAL/COUNTER PICK STAGES. you all know the rules, no need for only smashville or what have you. no arguement here either.

3. 3 STOCK/7 MIN/SUDDEN DEATH ON/2 OUTTA 3 games. no arguement here. 3 stock is fair. 7 min for those long matches that do happen, but not always. sudden death cause that's how you roll. 2 out of 3 games. again. no fking arguement here. what's not fair about this? WE ALL know how tournies go. answer to brawl and huge expected turnout is simply have MORE WII's and stations. handle that.

4. BOOK YOUR ROOMS FOR EVO NOW CAUSE IT"S SELLIN OUT. for reals. i really feel these are standard rules for smash. i have no clue who spoke with Wizard about "items on, etc..." but yeah, they need to be shot in the head for causing all this confusion, frustration, etc. i'll see you at evo.

-strippers&beer

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Indeed, COUM. If your points are continually "Why do you care?" and "Then just don't go" then why are you bothering to debate anything in the first place?
Porality is COUM in disguise? Now it all makes sense. How did you know he was COUM, anyway? Did I miss a post where he said he was?

Are you people honestly that surprised that items finally came into tournament play? Sh*t, I'm surprised it hadn't happened long before this when Melee was the current game. And now you're talking about boycotting Evo? Thats a god ****ed laugh riot right there. You tourneyf@gs are supposed to be such hot sh*t, but you're going to tuck your tails between your legs and run when items factor into things?
They've been in tournaments before... they were all unsuccessful.

Why should we not be allowed to boycott? If I don't like the rules, why should I be berated for choosing not to go? Even if I lived in the United States, it'd cost me hundreds of dollars unless I had a car, which would cost me slightly less, to go to Vegas, a lot of money for a hotel and then at least 45 dollars to enter the tournament. That's a lot of money for a tournament wholes rules I do like and whose rules I feel will limit my potential even if I learn how to exploit items to their fullest.

It's my choice. I haven't said that we should create a huge campaign to stop every single SWF:er from going, I've merely said: If we don't like the rules, we'll just not go.

"Improvise, adapt to it" - Yeah, we don't want to. We don't want randomness that we have to "improvise" and "adapt" to. Not when said randomness gives the opponent a random Golden Hammer.

Remind me why I should follow advice from a scrub like Yuna again?
Disliking items =/= Scrub. That or I guess the majority of Smash players are Scrubs... but it must be so because otherwise, you'd have to be wrong about the "right" way to play Smash!

K. Yuna. I didn't read ANY of your long winded arguements/points etc... Look. I dont' know if items/final smashes are still in, and I def hit up Mr. Wizard about this, and I def support NO items/final smashes/stage counters/neutrals etc.... I enter tournies for Brawl and ONLY have had items/final smashes in those gamestop and official Nintendo launch tourny in LA.
Maybe you should.

Also, who are you? Are you a higher-up at SRK? Because plenty of us have tried to "hit MrWizard up" only to have him ignore us.

So again to sum up , go to Evo, there will be NO items/final smashes. Boys over at Shoryuken and Evo know about community support and will do things right. I've been going to their tournies yearly for quite some time now. If you mad, blame God.

-peace
SRK is defending items and Smash Balls as if their lives depended on them. MrWizard is ignoring everyone who's arguing against items and Smash Balls. Unless you're one of the more important SRK-members, I can't see how you can make that prediction.

Misinformation because the majority of the stuff you say isn't true.

You obviously didn't read the opening post. It has nothing against me being "discriminated" against for EVO using items. I merely say "I disagree with EVO's rules. They are free to think what they want, but they claim to have conclusive evidence for their case and then say 'it's open for discussion' only to then they ignore and invalidate all of our evidence without even taking more than a glance at it". And I also berated MrWizard for not banning COUM. And I said "Bottom line is, if we don't like the rules, we'll just go. It's every single SWF:er's personal choice."

Again, you either haven't read what I've been saying and is now making stuff up or you're lying on purpose to slander my name. Either way, tsk tsk.

Didn't you say somewhere back that AlphaZealot that started a thread about item spawning only to have it shut down without good reason?

StrippersandBeer

Smash Apprentice
only thing i can think of why Wizard would not listen to the ENTIRE smash community is because of some corporate sponser (such as Nintendo) who specifically asked for items to be on. other than that, i am going on faith and hope (from knowing Wizard in the past) that the right thing WILL be done, and the community will be heard, and this will be a great tourny, etc....

StrippersandBeer

Smash Apprentice
p.s. just 1 more thing i thought of. it's IMPOSSIBLE to make everyonen happy all the time. lets say items are still on for this tourny, think of why you play competitively in the first place. you're going up against the odds to see what you have in a situation (ex: items on/off). if the rules are set out before you, then it's a choice you make to continue, adapt, play your best, ...... or not. there's no need to be upset.

like bob marley says: "eveything lil thing, is gonna be all right..."

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
only thing i can think of why Wizard would not listen to the ENTIRE smash community is because of some corporate sponser (such as Nintendo) who specifically asked for items to be on. other than that, i am going on faith and hope (from knowing Wizard in the past) that the right thing WILL be done, and the community will be heard, and this will be a great tourny, etc....
Pay attention, please.

MrWizard has "done extensive testing" (read: Done a little testing of his own, maybe, and delegated the rest to other people, who held online items-on tournaments without any prizes). He's got "conclusive evidence" for allowing these items. Meanwhile, since we cannot provide video evidence for every single one of our points, he's obviously right and we're obviously wrong.

That's the logic he's employing.

StrippersandBeer

Smash Apprentice
ok. i understand what you are saying.

sad to hear that. "conclusive evidence"

but i will either, try to understand wiz's reasoning and help communicate that to others, or, die trying to convince wiz no items etc...

either way, no worries. it's their tourny and the result will come from their actions/non-actions. (:

all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom