• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Tournament I have ever Organized. (looking for advice)

Battlewoundz

Smash Cadet
Whats up everyone, My name is Ryan Walker, aka Battlewoundz. I just recently hosted my
First tournament ever and I am looking for suggestions and opinions from the community.

Tournament Name: Hampton Bays Video Game Tournament
(I know its not original but w.e.)

Games: Super Smash Bros. Brawl(only singles)
Super Mario Kart
Guitar Hero III(on either medium or hard)
Wii Tennis

Goal: the goal of this tournament was to show the Principal at my school that there are gamers of all ages who like to play games and would compete in a tournament, if the school had one.
The tournament was open to all students ranging from Kindergarten to Twelfth Grade.

Contestants: We had over 100 players in 5 brackets.
For my favorite bracket, SSBB, we had over 30 players.

Spectators: because of the age range of the students, many parents stayed to observe the event. We had roughly 50 spectators,
and many parents thought that the tournament was a good idea and run smoothly.

Setup:

We set up our own Main Stage, where at any given point 70 kids could be watching the match in progress.

We had only 10 TV's, 4 on each side of the cafeteria, with one on main stage.

Just to show the setup.

Some of our many brawl players.

Mario Kart was the most popular game, bringing in over 50 contestants. Really fun actually.

Watched some impressive matches of Guitar Hero. 99% Cliffs of Dover on Expert.

Kids watching on mainstage. It made the atmosphere of the tournament different. with kids actually wanting to watch their friends play, then play themselves.

The younger Brawl Players. Kid on far left is actually a very good marth.

My friend Matt, the technical Genius behind the tournament, Basically set up Mainstage by himself.

Thats Me. Running the tournament was a blast. And I had enough help so that I could play in the tournament as well.

I am planning another tournament for the end of May, which will incorporate two school districts near by. The tournament will consist of both SSBM singles/doubles. and SSBB singles/doubles. and It will also have a Super Smash 64 Singles tournament.

And advice is greatly appreciated.

Grunt

Smash Master
advice on what?
You basically said "I ran a tourney and did great!"
Ok so do another one!

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Yeah man, sounds like it was really successful, so I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for.

Battlewoundz said:
Goal: the goal of this tournament was to show the Principal at my school that there are gamers of all ages who like to play games and would compete in a tournament, if the school had one.
The tournament was open to all students ranging from Kindergarten to Twelfth Grade.
I gotta say, that sounds like a really cool idea.

Good job, and good luck with the end of May one. Keep it up and one day maybe you'll be a TO renowned for his smooth tournament-running skills, getting OOSers and counting attendance in the hundreds :D

Mitchy

Smash Rookie
youre the ****. i wish i had something like that at my school. but with melee :]

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I'd like to make a suggestion. I think your success came with the fact that all the games in your tournament were new and appealed to a broad crowd. This is great and all, but if you wanted to run a specific tournament for ssb64/melee I don't know if you would have as much popularity due to how old the games are. Younger players might complain about graphics, lack of characters or just want to play brawl. Obviously you know the contestants more than I do, so I'll let you run it however you want but my advice is to be wary of not many people showing up for those events.

Top Bottom