• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The forgotten clone

TheLee

Smash Rookie
Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Young Link and Roy, these characters all share abilities so closely related to another character that they effectively are said character, with minor adjustments. As Melee evolved in the progessive game it is today, these characters began to stand out more from there respective counterparts. Ganondorf became so natural in his cloned state, that the devlopers decided to keep his Falcon moveset for the next smash installment. (Which imo is complete trash considering that in Melee they had excuse: extra time. So it was either 6 extra characters but they all must have copied movesets or no characters at all because of how late devlopment was. [See Snakes failed Melee inclusion.] But in brawl there was no excuse for him being a clone.)
But before I get sidetracked I just want to say that of the six clones I believe that Dr. Mario felt unnecessary considering that makes five Mario series characters. Pichu felt like a waste, we deserved one of the starting Pokemon from the orginal Red and Blue games, it wasn't untill Yellow version that you recieved Pika, and you never even play as Jiggs or Mewtwo in any game that I can remember, so why are they even in smash in the first place? Roy was a complete unknown along with Marth. Falco felt very natural along with Young Link and Ganondorf.

But NO character deserved a clone as much as Mewtwo did. Mew was such a shoo-in, what happened?
This is my very first post, be nice.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
You would have to CATCH Jiggs in the Pokemon games. And in Red version, I caught Mewtwo by going into that cave where all of the best Pokemon were supposed to be. They chose the most popular and recognizable Pokemon. Everyone knows Pika, everyone thinks Jiggs is adorable. And welcome to Smashboards.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
pikachu, jiggs and mewtwo are in smash because they are the three most popular pokemon.

as a person who never had a clue about pokemon whatsoever, if you asked me to name three pokemon i would say "pikachu, jigglypuff, and mewtwo" (and possibly squirtle)

and there are no clones in brawl, just "luigified" characters (look it up new guy)

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
Welcome to smashboards.... nice first post.

I agree with you to some extent. However, your assertion that Mew was a "shoo-in" is contradictory. Before, you said that you never play as Jiggs or M2 in any game you remember (good rebuffal above, btw). Mew wasn't even attainable unless you cheated or went to some special event, I believe. So Mew, while it would have been cool to have, was not really a shoo in. I do kind of resent the fact that they never changed Ganondorfs moveset, since it would have been cool to have him use that sword.... Pichu is a bit of a waste, except for pros to beat you with to make you feel even worse :-P, and Doc could have been edited out. had they taken them out, perhaps they could have had time to mess with Ganon's moveset. Or perhaps added two different clones.... Maybe Mew, but I've always thought Daisy (Peach clone) and perhaps one of the starters from the pokemon series.

Grunt

Smash Master
because your first ones were perfect right?

Ok I have tried tests, all have turned out positive.
Ok when you have 69%, you are more likely to recieve a phantom hit, either that or you start doing really good combos. It feels likes you are invincible, discuss
looooooooooooool
nice post.

Foxy

Smash Master
this is when you realize that the developers don't actually think or reason when they make games.

they just go with instinct.

i hope everyone remembers what happened to all of our genius theories about the brawl roster.

Overload

Smash Lord
this is when you realize that the developers don't actually think or reason when they make games.

they just go with instinct.

i hope everyone remembers what happened to all of our genius theories about the brawl roster.
Developers try their best to make games balanced, but it is impossible for them to be able to tell what groundbreaking discoveries the players are going to make.

TheLee

Smash Rookie
I never said Mario was better the Doc. I just said that makes 5 Mairo characters, a bit much imo. I didn't mean that Mew deserved a spot because of his popularity, but because he is, in fact, a clone; none of the other 'clones' are. I just seems like it would have been easy to do, and it would have fit very well.

TheLee

Smash Rookie
I think the most popular Pokemon are: Pika, Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur.

Geist

Smash Master
Developers try their best to make games balanced, but it is impossible for them to be able to tell what groundbreaking discoveries the players are going to make.
Not always. Their main goal is to make it fun, and if they have no intention of making the game competitive (like the smash series was) then they don't bother tweaking it to a major extent.
Neither 64, melee or brawl was player tested for the purpose of balance before any releases or demos.

As for on topic, I can't exactly imagine mew using the same moves as mewtwo, especially when it's a third of the size of him. Mewtwo's moveset was supposed to be menacing and threatening, while mew travels in a pink bubble.

Also: welcome to smashboards :]

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't say that Marth and Roy were complete unknowns (to their main audience). The Fire Emblem games were quite popular in Japan at the time (and still are).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
pikachu, jiggs and mewtwo are in smash because they are the three most popular pokemon.
This basically sums it up for as to why those Pokemon were included in Melee,because they were the most popular pokemon at the time Melee was getting developed.

Binx

Smash Master
People hate bulbosaur, Pikachu, charmander, mewtwo are probably the most popular characters, I'm suprised we don't have a charmander character, maybe it's because of Yoshi, I dunno.

I think the roster is pretty **** good in all 3 games especially for their time, I would have loved to have a couple more characters in melee like sonic, and I would have loved it if brawl was a good game and had megaman lol.

Top Bottom