• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The full details on FLUDD, right here!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I've played extensively with FLUDD on my friend's import copy. Here's the full details:

How to use FLUDD

Press Down-B and Mario begins to charge FLUDD. Like DK's Giant Punch, it can be charged in mid-air as well. It doesn't have very much charge time before its full. You do not have to hold the button, it keeps charging automatically after tapping Down+B.

While charging, pressing Block will stop the charge but maintain how much you charged so far. On the ground pressing left or right will stop the charge and automatically go into a side roll in the direction pressed. All this is, again, pretty much exactly like DK's Giant Punch.

Also like DK's Giant Punch, pressing B again while charging fires the current charge level immediately. Again, holding B does nothing - when used, the FLUDD fires the full amount of water it has charged up by that point then stops, and you'll need to charge it again to use it again.

If you do not push B or abort the charge by blocking or rolling, when fully charged a sound effect will play and Mario will begin to flash lightly to indicate he has a full charge. If you don't use it for a while, the FLUDD will physically dissappear, but the charge will still remain and it will just reappear when you use it. At this point, pressing Down+B will immediately fire the FLUDD's full charge.

FLUDD can be shot in the air or on the ground. Its trajectory can not be affected except by its charge level, however, it does seem to have a very slight amount of homing ability. It fires mostly straight forward.

What is FLUDD supposed to do?

Enemies hit by FLUDD's water are pushed back. They do not take damage and it does not interrupt their current move (like Fox's lasers). That's all a it does. Also, the amount of damage the opponent has doesn't change anything - a 999 damage opponent is pushed the same amount as a 0 damage opponent. So can this be useful? See below.

FLUDD use - recovery?

When FLUDD is fired, it shoots Mario back a bit. However, the distance is no more than Samus's charged shot throws her back. Recovery in this game is so easy anyway, that if you actually had enough distance out where you could use this little bit of push to help you get back, you are likely far enough away that you already died anyway. So, pretty much useless for recovery.

FLUDD use - edge guarding?

For some odd reason, FLUDD has very very little effect on someone that is in the air. If you shoot someone who is in the air and they are holding forward, they will still move forward almost the same amount as if they weren't being shot at all. Its extremely unlikely this will do anything useful. The opposing player will have plenty of time to drop below the ledge after being shot and use their recovery move to grab the ledge, and the trajectory of FLUDD is such that it won't hit anyone that is coming up from below - which most will be doing since the new ledge grabbing is so much easier to do now. Also, since the damage amount of the opponent makes no difference, it's not going to be suddenly possible to edge guard them with it when they are at high damage. So, its pretty much useless for edge guarding.

So, is FLUDD useful for anything at all if it pushes back so little?

Well here's the thing - for some reason, it pushes back hardly at all in the air, but if an opponent is on the ground, it actually pushes back fairly hard, and can easily push someone that's on the ground right off the edge of the stage.

Of course, then they'll just recovery back to the ledge, and have taken no damage, so you might as well have just hit them with a smash attack right?

Well, first, FLUDD has more range than a smash attack so its safer to use. But, most importantly, FLUDD doesn't interrupt whatever move they were doing. This means that once they are in mid-air, they have to finish the move they were doing before they can recover.

I'll give you an example of how I killed someone with FLUDD. Lucas was somewhat near the edge of the stage doing his PK Freeze. I had FLUDD fully charged and shot him with it, and he flew off the edge. While in mid-air, his PK Freeze finished and, as a property of that particular move, after finishing it Lucas goes into free-fall. Thus, once the move finished he could do nothing to recover and died.

So far that's the only time I've seen FLUDD do something useful. Oh, and it may push projectiles away too, but you already have the cape for that so, uh, I forgot to test that.

One final note - Squirtle's Water Gun (nuetral B) is EXACTLY the same as Mario's FLUDD. Same charging/shooting mechanic, same push back effect, same trajectory. If there's any difference, I could not find it. So, if one of you feels like it you can let the PT fans know that Squirtle's move works this way too.

Hope you find this useful.

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
You also might be able to use it to keep people with a hammer away from you or maybe push an opponent into a bomb or stage hazard.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the writeup on FLUDD, it sounds like a situational attack at best, but that use you described is pretty creative, i'm curious what smashers will come up with for techniques with it in the next few months.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
One thing I wondered about is if you could kill people during their FS with it.

I noticed in that FS compilation video that when Dedede did his FS, the other player actually pushed him forward a bit just by walking into him. He was invincible but could still be pushed. I wondered if FLUDD could push him while he was invincible, perhaps even pushing him off the ledge. That would be a pretty funny way to kill someone.

On the other hand, Dedede can use the FS in mid-air and he just floats there, so if you pushed him off he'd probably just hover in mid-air anyway :(.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Did you test it in the water to see if it gets fully charged like in Mario Sunshine? Or maybe it gets stronger if you're in the water?
Can't use it in water (or any other move for that matter). All you can do is swim left/right and jump out of the water.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Fludd seemed awful the first time I heard about it.... oh well. At least It can be used in siduations were lust moveing them is prefurable.

F.L.U.D.D.
For
Lackluster
Useless
Damage...
Disreguard it

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My friend who knows someone who acquired the demo said that the FLUDD is a very defensive technique. It is good for getting breathing space, so I'm hearing.

Oh actually I just thought of a situational but probably very effective use for it! GIMP KILLS ON WALK TO DEATH STAGES!

Yeah, basically, if the stage has unique terrain, find a way to use that terrain to your advantage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Only problem with that. Just make sure the FLUDD itself doesn't actually set off motion sensor bombs.

S2

Smash Lord
While I agree it could be better, Fludd looks to have some uses.

If anything, it limits what an opponent can do if they risk getting pushed off the edge. And people are only going to get better at edguarding as we play the game.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
I know most of u will give me evil looks when I say this, but I'm impressed by what I heard. Now mario has more range then he had before (regardless of the whole no damage thing) but there are situation where I think it could be useful, as if someone was about to catch u with a smash attack and u have the fully charged fludd (like marth), just pull it out and use it to push marth right out of the distance of his sword, but I cant fully understand the use of fludd until I actually play it with, as it's lag could be heavy...

only until the game comes out...

Seven11

Smash Cadet
What about...

Ok, if it gives good knockback on ground, but not in air, then what if it pushes them off the stage? Does it continue to push at the on-stage rate or does it change to slow knockback after they leave the ground? Anyone test that?
There are lots of situations where this could be useful, but they are all really specific and you wouldn't be able to spend a match looking for them. Things like Jiggly's sleep (obviously), Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, Maybe CF's Falcon Punch... Any move with a long start-up could just be pushed off stage for a quick and cheesy kill. Just don't expect to get that more than once in any match if you're playing someone with half a brain.
Also, I don't see the use of FLUDD as giving Mario "range." I saw one example of if Marth were coming in for a dash attack, you could push him away. That seems somewhat useless to me, as after that, you'd be in pretty much the same situation. Marth at a distance is a bad place for Mario to be in. Mario needs to be in close to be effective, don't fight that, work with it.;)

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Only useful for recovery if you are knocked high and far but not far enough to die, so you have enough fall time to turn around with your cape, FLUDD the other way (assuming you had it charged up), then do your UP+B. Its marginal difference, I've yet to die from a recovery attempt where the extra horizontal push from FLUDD would have saved me (without causing me to drop down too low to reach the platform due to the long FLUDD animation).

Vanish07

Smash Rookie
face it guys, the FLUDD is useless. the only good thing that can possibly come of this is being glad that they didn't make the same mistake with Luigi and his vacuum.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I hope its not as useless as people say it is. I dont think it would be completely useless.
I'm disappointed they didnt do the vacuum though, because it would be more representative of luigi.
Oh well.

Nice work with the info though.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I say fludd Might actually be of some use. It may not be the best Edgeguard, but if a Jiglly ever misses a rest.....
Jiggly Rest push! YAY

Edit: Beaten on Jigglyrest

Hey, you know hoe Ike is inpnitrable during his Up-B?
Can Ike be pushed back mid Up-B?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
FLUDD is on of Mario's best edge gards yet, it will not do damage, but it prevents you from comming back to the eadge. I say that has more use than the Tornado as his down B.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wait seriously, you tested that?
Yes, however, it's hard to stop an enemey that's too close to the edge, but an enemey that's abou to come the edge is effective.

Like CF for example, you could shoot water at him after he does his up B and he won't come back if you done it right.

FilibusterRhymes

Smash Cadet
Seems like this would be very effective against Snake's recovery, since he has trouble with the momentum.
Can he make up for the lost distance if he's pushed by FLUDD?

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Just so we're clear, I agree that they didn't make the best use of the F.L.U.D.D.

however, one idea that i had that I haven't seen posted here yet (correct me if I'm wrong on that) but if Mario was hit fairly far off the stage, and was DIing back, he could conceivably shoot the fludd at someone standing at the edge of the stage charging a smash attack (or other killing move), thus giving Mario adequate room to land safely on the edge (or grab the ledge)

Percon

Smash Lord
I play PT a bit and I know that squirtle's water gun actually does damage if you DON'T charge it at all. Then it fires oddly forward with much less range (obviously), but at least does some damage. Can Mario's FLUDD do this?

marthownsxd

Smash Apprentice
Word has it, (From SMYN) the Fludd can be used to stop an opponent from doing a second up b after the water from the FLudd hits if I'm mistake. I could be wrong, but I think it was in an IGN video.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
i suggest to visit my thread if ur really concerned about the fludd...;-)

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
As I was playing brawl this weekend I thought mario's fludd was quite ackward. Though I didn't get to play mario as much as I should ahve.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
If there is one thing I could change about Brawl, it would be FLUDD. It can go away. Spin Attacks were of vital importance in Galaxy, and we have to replace it part time with a bogus move from an older game.

Top Bottom