• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Smash 64 Learning Curve (MASSIVE UPDATES)

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
lol I think i may have just moved To a 5a with the things that I have been doing latey :), But I still wanna play your samus vs my samus that would be fun.
hahaha, thats funny, cuz i think im a level 5a now too. 2 level 5a samuses going head to head, that WOULD be fun to watch

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Everything about 5a describes my current skill level. I used to think I was a 5a when I was level 4 because I could destroy level 4's and under with ease and pull off a lot of advanced techniques.

Now, I'm not only trying to learn how to play every character, I'm mastering many different combos, confusing mindgame tactics, super obscure advanced techs, and DI

I'd put MATTS! at level 4, he knows what to do to win, but has no desire to increase his combo and mindgame ability. He goes into every match with the same strategy which, sadly, can beat at least 75% of the smash 64 population. (this includes casuals aswell as competitive) And he's happy with that, but as far as I know MATTS! never attempted to broaden his character choice, or his playstyle, therefore he'll be at level 4 until he stopps trolling.

I've played MATTS his mindgames and his mental game aren't highly underdeveloped, he has the potential to cross into 5a easily, but his mentality towards this game is trollish and immature so I doubt he will. Prove me wrong MATTS!

MATTS COMBO!11!!11!!!

P.S In my opinion most level 4 players do not DI at all, and some may not even know how to do so. DI sepperates level 4's from level 5's and beyond easily. Id consider my offensive game level 5a, but my DI is still that of an advanced level 4 player.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'd say I'm in between level 5B and 5C. I'm definitely not in 5C, but:

"You can outperform level 5B players in tournament but can still lose to level 5B players if you are not careful."

I've beaten many 5C people (one in an in-person tournament). So, I'm somewhere in between. I would consider myself 5B, but I could be at the bottom of 5C.

xX7SINSXx

Smash Rookie
yesh

im between lvl 3b and 4 and im a link user >< can u plz drop the alternate path so i know if maybe thats where im at? ive kinda said F tah grabbing unless i know i can get it and ive learned a few moves to make up for it maybe thats in the 3b2? >< i know ppl may say link sucks for the various reasons but im a a diehard link user and im not gonna learn a new character unless its captain falcon but i dont wanna :O help meh help meh!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
im between lvl 3b and 4 and im a link user >< can u plz drop the alternate path so i know if maybe thats where im at? ive kinda said F tah grabbing unless i know i can get it and ive learned a few moves to make up for it maybe thats in the 3b2? >< i know ppl may say link sucks for the various reasons but im a a diehard link user and im not gonna learn a new character unless its captain falcon but i dont wanna :O help meh help meh!
What you need to do is become ridiculously technical, never **** up, be confusing, and be able to hit someone with a boomerang even if they are still choosing their character at the select screen.

At least that's what isai's link style leads me to believe.

Did you see how badly trigger/tiger's pikachus got owned by his link? God it just makes you want to play link, but then you go online and its like "No, you can't do everything you can do on console and small mistakes make link die." So yeah id main link if I could play console ssb64 all day.

Falcon online is easy though lol at least I find so.

xX7SINSXx

Smash Rookie
and be able to hit someone with a boomerang even if they are still choosing their character at the select screen.
i got that part worked out but i can only manage to hit myself with it and thus causing me to mess up and pick samus...which i suck with. but ill keep trying! :p

yea ive seen some of isais link booms and was like wow is he a F'n mind reading jenie or what. man that guy is crazy ive never seen him pwn ppl so hard. unfortunantly i have a good ping but i get liek 100 lag spikes a game and cant work it out :[ hopefully when i get my internetz fixed ill be able to actually play with these better guys w/o laggin every 1 out :[:[:[ u only get better by playing ppl better than u, after u get ROFLSTOMPED a few times u kinda pick up on lil things and surprise ppl xD

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Get this guy 1 internet, he needs to play online smash.

Seriously, non-scrubs are a rarity in the smash community, even in the competitive part of it. Get back online and I'll "Roflstomp" you into shape :laugh:

Superstar

Smash Champion
I main Link. Not the greatest Link in the universe, of course, but he's a fun character. I do however recommend learning other characters, sometimes Link doesn't cut it, or too much Link gets boring. And learning more characters helps your main.

My DI is just average. At least I go for it. XD

Also, try playing offline. Does it lag? My laptop lags offline, my comp, nah.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Surri is probably right about the people claiming to be 5a's being between 4 and 5. I find it hard to advance further due to my lack of internet, lack of a controller when I had the internet, and lack of offline players.

I plan on working on my tech skills alot. What I am interested most in is DI. I've read about DI in the DI thread and I've seen pros in action use it to save themselves. I've DI'd into a wall a couple of times accidentally and lived in situations I probably wouldn't have survived. Is there any good way to practice DI?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I main Link. Not the greatest Link in the universe, of course, but he's a fun character.
I don't pick Link much, but yeah, a lot of people say hes a really fun character.... then, they do nothing more than choose hyrule and camp through hyrule while spamming boomerangs and bombs. This is really fun? -_-

Superstar

Smash Champion
I prefer Dreamland actually.

And I almost never bomb/boomerang. I should do that more, I just go for the usmash combos and fair spacing. Or a lucky uair combo.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I don't pick Link much, but yeah, a lot of people say hes a really fun character.... then, they do nothing more than choose hyrule and camp through hyrule while spamming boomerangs and bombs. This is really fun? -_-
Ugh, lame.
Link is all about traps and stage control. Stage control is not camping, but noobs don't know that of course.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ugh, lame.
Link is all about traps and stage control. Stage control is not camping, but noobs don't know that of course.
call it stage control if you want (thats what i meant) and still, its just spamming boomerangs/bombs through hyrule, and personally i don't find it much fun to do and to play against.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I use lots of projectiles because you calling me a noob doesn't make you win :o

If you pick link...and go out of your way to not over use boomerangs and bombs your a fool

xX7SINSXx

Smash Rookie
Ugh, lame.
Link is all about traps and stage control. Stage control is not camping,
and still, its just spamming boomerangs/bombs through hyrule, and personally i don't find it much fun to do and to play against.
dead is right pretty much it is stage control, traps AND alot of mind games going on. but what do u want me to do i dont have a falcon punch or kirbys upB attack so im kinda throwin **** at u. im the guy that pulls out the bomb throws the boom at u bounces it off the ground so it goes above ur head chunks the bomb at u and then spaced just right...i run in for a grab. all i do is try to put u in a comprimising situation forcing u to find a clever exit quick. and i already have 2 steps over u bcuz i count on u not falling for the ol bomb and boom trick twice..or even the 1st time. i pretty much use the projectiles to force u to do what i want u to and hope i know what im doin ><i usually can figure out someones fav attack within the 1st life of mine. after the 2nd i usually have theyre game figured out. isais the only person to blow my mind in SSB but im sure theres others.

and in response to superstars comment...i have a nvidia geforce 8600GT 512mb video card 2 gigs or ram and a 2.8 single core amd processor. but after i installed P64K it does kinda lag a lil now offline but idk know. ive ran it on my regular P64 and it still lagged offline some but like it does online. hmm can u pm me what all plug-ins u use maybe thats a problem

Superstar

Smash Champion
Falcon Punch sucks. ;_; Only really good after maybe an fthrow or stomp for a fancy kill. And Kirby's UpB is meh. Just saying. :p

You tried checking for the usual spyware/virus? Your specs are good, you did install drivers for said video card [maybe you did...it's obvious if you didn't]?

I use JaboDirect3D8. Default shouldn't lag you though.

xX7SINSXx

Smash Rookie
i use the jabo 3d7 1.40 plug so i guess ill go get the new 1 and see if that changes it. i do good in 1v1s tho usually itll hit a spike tho and kinda ruin a plan i was doin sometimes ><

and i meant to say kirby db "rock" i was meaning oves that replaced the boom and punch. i guess it depends on ur definition of spam, mine is doing it over and over non stop like a bot. but meh, <.< the Fpunch catches me sometimes its the only move that hurts my feelings :(

o and yea i did a scan on my pc last nite with malware bytes and picked up 2 trojans >:@ but it didnt help my lag just slowed down my pr0n :[ these last 2 days sucked

Superstar

Smash Champion
Did you scan with an antivirus AND an antispyware [Spybot <3]? Their definitions are a bit different, if your antispyware picked up a trojan, scan with an antivirus ASAP. Oh yeh, antispyware is what you used. Scan with AVG or something. And Spybot is <3.

Also, is your router wireless? If it is, encrypted?

Oh, and pron usually harms your PC. Should scan with a lot of stuff.

Also, the stone is also piss. Kirby's dair or utilt are MUCH more deadly.

xX7SINSXx

Smash Rookie
lol i thought malware bytes actually did everything bcuz i removed the trojans which are not technically viruses but in that class, anyways! i DLed that other plug-in and it helped my 1v1 but not my team games, but idc for teams i like 1v1 so thats all that matters xP, but for anti-this, that, and the other. i have spybot, avast, malware bytes, ad-aware, windows defender(which has never found a single thing on my pc even when i scanned folders that i knew for a fact had viruses in.) i usually scan my whole DL folder after about 5 gigs have went in it. i only DL pr0n thru torrents and they all get directed to that 1 folder. so i highly doubt thats the problem it seems like it would effect my other games i play online.

If i had to learn a new character itd probably be fox, cfalcon is overused imo hehe. and kirby is my cuz fav so i dont wanna use him either. those would be the only 4 i would bother learning. :lick: << for lols) im still working on my aim with getting the boom to bend to my will and hit stuff behind me, so far i can almost always hit someone in front of me and can usually jump just right to make it hit them on its way back if they for w/e reason go to dodge i wish i could make it hit em twice in a row tho. >< thatd be sweet

Superstar

Smash Champion
So, I assume you renamed 8 to 7 and replaced. Online likes to mess things up.

A bunch of stuff you say makes me lol a bit, but meh, we were all in that stage. Play me when you want and we can have Link dits [needs to be contacted through an IM system, I'm installing Skype in case I ever need a Scout buddy in TF2, but yeh]. Also, Fox is hard, but he's fun. I haven't touched him since last week or so, when I played offline.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I use lots of projectiles because you calling me a noob doesn't make you win :o

If you pick link...and go out of your way to not over use boomerangs and bombs your a fool
Its even funnier when people tell you not to overuse falcon's grab. and that fthrow combos are cheap :laugh:

I mean come on now. Falcons grab, if you can grab someone, do it.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Its even funnier when people tell you not to overuse falcon's grab. and that fthrow combos are cheap :laugh:

I mean come on now. Falcons grab, if you can grab someone, do it.
Or short hop spam. That ALWAYS cracks me up. ALWAYS. I mean, COME ON. Someone is telling you to STAY THE **** GLUED TO THE GROUND LOL.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Or short hop spam. That ALWAYS cracks me up. ALWAYS. I mean, COME ON. Someone is telling you to STAY THE **** GLUED TO THE GROUND LOL.
hhahhaha Yeah, I got that from this guy who played jigglypuff, used all her jumps, then fastfall, drill, no z cancel.

He never even got a grab out of a drill when I went to go light a cigarette. He told me shorthopping was the newbie way to play LOL.

xX7SINSXx

Smash Rookie
So, I assume you renamed 8 to 7 and replaced. Online likes to mess things up.
no i didnt rename it since my lag has calmed down but i might try it anyways. i havent had any problems with it during games tho.

i have aim but i dont have too many contacts on it so i dont ever use it but i guess if its easier to get a hold of ppl ill open when i play SSB. my aim name is bahamutnyne

Kmaru

Smash Cadet
Yay i think im somewhere between 4 and 5...i went from playin brawl to losing everything then buyin a n64from some kid with ssb...god good times...but umm yeah i think this is very accurate...
lol i nvr went through the third stages on brawl and melee...prolly cuz i was livin with 2pro brothers
and i was constantly on smashboards...

DMoogle

A$
I think there are more levels in between 5 and 6 (and maybe even 7). I think somewhere in level 5 you start to really utilize the combo expansion potential in platforms, and can maneuver around them very well. Platforms start becoming much more of a friend than an obstacle.

Then there are techniques that very few people (mostly just Isai) can consistently perform. Stuff that takes a lot of finger skill, like getting the two lasers in a short hop with Fox every time and fastfall-UAiring without using the second jump.

In the videos he uploaded the other day, it showed him (as Luigi) performing a short-hop>DAir>fastfall>UAir (without using second jump)>Z-cancel flawlessly in between his opponent's lives. It blew my mind. I tried doing it for like 5 minutes before I pulled off one.

-A$

T1g3rbombz

Smash Journeyman
I think there are more levels in between 5 and 6 (and maybe even 7). I think somewhere in level 5 you start to really utilize the combo expansion potential in platforms, and can maneuver around them very well. Platforms start becoming much more of a friend than an obstacle.

Then there are techniques that very few people (mostly just Isai) can consistently perform. Stuff that takes a lot of finger skill, like getting the two lasers in a short hop with Fox every time and fastfall-UAiring without using the second jump.

In the videos he uploaded the other day, it showed him (as Luigi) performing a short-hop>DAir>fastfall>UAir (without using second jump)>Z-cancel flawlessly in between his opponent's lives. It blew my mind. I tried doing it for like 5 minutes before I pulled off one.

-A$
hmmmm....ur telling me :(

TANK64

Smash Lord
Nice Listing, I'd say I'm at lv.5B (I think? lol). Of course, I usually play with most of the same people- so it's hard to tell. I'm no Isai, I just love the game.

TANK

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I hate to burst your bubble but A LOT of people here can do stuff like that (especially Fox's SHDL). You also forgot shine+jabs (which I can finally do consistently now!) etc.

Dair-FF-uair with Luigi is fairly easy too because of his huge shorthop, if you start the Dair early it gives you lots of time to do something else before you land. Probably impossible for any human to do it with Mario though.

Just practice these techs and they become easy and integrate into your game. There's no magic secret to it.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
On keyboard, you can do an up-air without double-jumping by pressing up and a at the exact same time (or close enough). You can also do non-fastfalled down airs by the same method (pressing down and a at the same time). It's the same with the controller, though it may be a little harder, but easy once you get the timing done.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I think I'll be buying an Xbox 360 controller so I can use an actual controller instead of a keyboard to practice online. Though I wish I could use an N64 controller online, but no stores around here sell N64 adapters.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Nice Listing, I'd say I'm at lv.5B (I think? lol). Of course, I usually play with most of the same people- so it's hard to tell. I'm no Isai, I just love the game.

TANK
I'm sorry guy, but after watching your videos and reading stuff like this:

Yea I could DJC more, but I don't think my Yoshi is by any means mediocre. I know my opponents missed lots of crucial techs, and could have avoided many things, but no combos?

Yoshi up-tilt to dair x2 to down-b (or up-smash) is inescapable. DI or not
You're nowhere being close to a 5 anything. Not even a 4.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Tank64 that yoshi combo that you mentioned is about as good as jiggly's dair utilt utilt utilt rest combo

Top Bottom