• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Future of Competitive Play

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
please don't bring melee into brawl affairs, unless your talking about the true future of brawl
The True Future of Brawl has many possibilities. It all depends on the Smash community, and the casual players. There are smashers who like Brawl, and those who don't. There are people who will most likely play Brawl for another year or so, like me. I'll probably move on to Balanced Brawl by then.

As of right now, we're just playing around with Brawl mechanics and re-discussing match-ups. We DO find some interesting techs here and there, but it's not wavedashing and all that.

It's in the Smash community's nature to bring Melee up in serious Brawl threads. We're actually talkin' about Brawl+...which isn't helping the slightest bit.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
i think brawl has the chance but it's not it's big brother melee, which has a strong community and infinitely more hype. Melee also hasn't died and it looks like brawl won't go on too much longer unless a groundbreaking tech is found and the possibility is slim. Melee is a more entertaining version of smash which requires more skill and is much more fun to watch.

stealthwarrior17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2938-7216-1604
The True Future of Brawl has many possibilities. It all depends on the Smash community, and the casual players. There are smashers who like Brawl, and those who don't. There are people who will most likely play Brawl for another year or so, like me. I'll probably move on to Balanced Brawl by then.

As of right now, we're just playing around with Brawl mechanics and re-discussing match-ups. We DO find some interesting techs here and there, but it's not wavedashing and all that.

It's in the Smash community's nature to bring Melee up in serious Brawl threads. We're actually talkin' about Brawl+...which isn't helping the slightest bit.
Well said.

The brawl right now isnt gonna change much. The only possibilities are a rise in tourneys barring some characters like Low tier tourneys. I would be interested in a tourney with no metaknight or snake allowed. Brawl+ is still important because so long as we discuss it now, our ideas would reach the ears of the creators and have some influence on new characters or game modes.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
i think brawl has the chance but it's not it's big brother melee, which has a strong community and infinitely more hype. Melee also hasn't died and it looks like brawl won't go on too much longer unless a groundbreaking tech is found and the possibility is slim. Melee is a more entertaining version of smash which requires more skill and is much more fun to watch.
http://lambkill.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/normal_uncle-sam-stfu.jpg

Just jokin' around. :)

But yeah, at least MOST of us are already aware of that. Which makes me wonder on Brawl+'s existence when people can just play Melee and not be ignorant. There may not be character's like Meta Knight and Sonic in Melee, but I think on a competitive view, you get more fun out of a game whether you play your favorite character or not.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
7 reasons why I don't like this post.

1. How this relevant to this thread?
2. Have you tried watching the Revival of Melee grand finals?
3. There is a thread in Alantic South about how to prevent the 'awful boring match' that was the Genesis grand final.
4. I see no sign of Brawl diminishing. People have claimed this since post release.
5. Technical skill is nice, but doesn't make or break a competitive game. Pokemon has no technical skill, but is a very successful competitive game.
6. A Metagame advancement is not a tech, its finding new ways to play the game or fight characters. Most of Melee's techniques were found rather early. What was not found early was Mango, Mew2King, PC Chris, these players changed the way we play Smash today.
7. Entertaining is an opinion.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
7 reasons why I don't like this post.

1. How this relevant to this thread?
2. Have you tried watching the Revival of Melee grand finals?
3. There is a thread in Alantic South about how to prevent the 'awful boring match' that was the Genesis grand final.
4. I see no sign of Brawl diminishing. People have claimed this since post release.
5. Technical skill is nice, but doesn't make or break a competitive game. Pokemon has no technical skill, but is a very successful competitive game.
6. A Metagame advancement is not a tech, its finding new ways to play the game or fight characters. Most of Melee's techniques were found rather early. What was not found early was Mango, Mew2King, PC Chris, these players changed the way we play Smash today.
7. Entertaining is an opinion.
7 responses to your post

1. I think brawl will die that is my opinion on the future of brawl's competitive seen, which is the name of the title of this thread
2. Have you seen genesis melee finals? A little more hype than brawl don't you think?
3. If you need to make a thread on how to not play boring in brawl then brawl is pretty boring and it's not fun to watch
4. More and more hype for melee especially the Pound 4 thread. It's like brawl has been left behind. Many new players are arriving on the scene and many good brawl players are playing melee, like Ally, your very best player if I'm not mistaken
5. Fine, my point was more that melee takes much more skill to play.
6. True but brawl is boring and if a universal tech like wave dash was found in brawl it would immediately become a much better game. I don't think Pc, Mango and Shiz changed how we play brawl seeing as how they won't touch it.
7. Fine but I think the majority agrees that a melee combo is more entertaining than nonexistent brawl combos. ANd that more people prefer to watch melee videos over brawl ones.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
1. I think brawl will die that is my opinion on the future of brawl's competitive seen, which is the name of the title of this thread
Except that's not what the threads about. The thread is adressing banning infinites, though it has deluged into Brawl+ vs Brawl talk.

2. Have you seen genesis melee finals? A little more hype than brawl don't you think?
So because S.N.E.S. Brawl finals were more hyped, more exciting, then Brawl is the more exciting game?

3. If you need to make a thread on how to not play boring in brawl then brawl is pretty boring and it's not fun to watch
See, it was about the MELEE Genesis grand finals.

4. More and more hype for melee especially the Pound 4 thread. It's like brawl has been left behind. Many new players are arriving on the scene and many good brawl players are playing melee, like Ally, your very best player if I'm not mistaken
Pound 4 is near Melee heaven.
Also, ally playing multiple games is not an argument.
I could say Chuday is playing Brawl, so brawl must be dying.

6. True but brawl is boring and if a universal tech like wave dash was found in brawl it would immediately become a much better game. I don't think Pc, Mango and Shiz changed how we play brawl seeing as how they won't touch it.
No, we still use styles of play that they invited.

7. Fine but I think the majority agrees that a melee combo is more entertaining than nonexistent brawl combos. ANd that more people prefer to watch melee videos over brawl ones.
You aren't going to ever people able to prove something like that. In fact, more people were watching the Brawl SNES finals than the Melee grand finals.
Also, Brawl does have combos, they actually require more skill (ironic?) than Melee combos and are rarer.
For instance, if you watched SNES grand final, we saw ADHD land 54 percent combos involving many naner techniques and applications.
I'd also like to add that Melee's best player uses a character with very limited combos.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
In order to "balance" DDD, they removed his chaingrab so DK and Bowser were no longer non-viable. DDD got so heavily nerfed by the removal of his best punishing tool that he is essentially non viable.
You probably don't have any reason to take it, but I'd like to offer one quick piece of advice: When judging a balance patch, do not focus on one change and theory-craft about it; doing so is a complete waste of time. As a long time Defense of the Ancients player (commonly called DotA; it's a competitive game that is patched constantly), I can tell you that, 90% of the time, initial impressions of balance changes are never accurate over the long-term; especially impressions that aren't based on actually playing the game to experience all of the changes together, first-hand. It's best to do some playtesting before you jump to any hasty conclusions.

As has already been discussed, the removal of the chaingrab was necessary in order to balance out numerous match-ups. If, as the metagame evolves over the next few months, evidence (i.e., tournament results, playtesting, etc) begins to accumulate which makes it apparent that D3 is too weak/not viable, then he will be given targeted buffs to help alleviate any problematic match-ups that are holding him back.

However, I don't see how any of that points to the fact that BBrawl "will never be balanced"; in fact, if anything it indicates the exact opposite. Amazing Ampharos and Thinkaman are using a reliable, systematic approach to changing the game, and there is no reason to believe that such a goal cannot be reached. Is the First Official Release 100% perfect? Probably not; but that doesn't mean that the entire project is doomed to failure.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Actually, no Eye, it is only needed to balance 4 or 5 matchups. I've already explained in full on how it is not the chain grab, but the characters that are the issue.
Marth, Peach, Wario, Diddy, and others handle being chain garbed fairly well.
Those who are ruined by the chain grab are those who
1. can't avoid getting gimped
2. can't avoid the chaingrab
3. might be able to avoid it, but the risk reward is out of wack because of their poor design, namely Luigi and Samus.

That's all I really feel like saying about it because of how many times I've expressed my view on the issue. He isn't as ruined as what GM said, but he is lacking in a reliable punishment tool compared to most characters.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Eyada, it wont help. They have misconceptions about the Brawl mod that we simply wont be able shake. "Why have a well-balanced game when we can live with the crappy original version?" sums it up nicely.

And just a note, it's impossible to take individual players into account when balacing a game. If someone is better than everybody else in a game that has 40 characters and each has somewhat close to a 1/40 chance of winning a tournament, that best player will win, unless he gets counterpicked. Regardless of which character he chooses, if all are equally viable, his inherent skill will allow him to rise above the rest. Maybe he is one of the only players that can break through the great campers. Or one of the only ones that can stop the rush-downs that the high-level players use to break through their usual opponents' defenses. Saying DMG doesnt win against the best doesnt bring him down, it raises them up. It doesnt say camping is unviable, it says that the best, and only the best, have that 'mini-metagame' at the very top where a turtling strategy isnt as good as with the majority of the player base. Once you get to the point where the player-player matchup has more of a profound effect than the character-character-stage matchup, you cannot refine balance any further. Because the best will shine above regardless. Why does Meta Knight win tournaments? Because he is the best character. because he is imbalanced. We can fix that. Why do top players win tournaments? Because they are top players. How can you punish someone for being inherently better at a game than someone else?

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Also, Brawl does have combos, they actually require more skill (ironic?) than Melee combos and are rarer.
For instance, if you watched SNES grand final, we saw ADHD land 54 percent combos involving many naner techniques and applications.
I'd also like to add that Melee's best player uses a character with very limited combos.
Saying anything in Brawl takes more skill than in Melee is quite a stretch. Brawl's 'combos' are using the same move repeatedly.

And wtf? Who do you think the best player is then?

Also, I thought DDD was still considered one of the best in bBrawl. He lost a stupidly broken chaingrab in exchange for a ridiculously good tech chase.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
MK wins tournaments because the best use him.
as we see players like Lain and ADHD slowly rise up, aren't we showing ourselves taht we are a little bit to quick to judge how balanced Brawl truly is? No one in the world would have predicted that the top three people at a large tournament would be a puff, peach, then puff 3 years ago in Melee, and no one would have predicted one of the top 3 Brawl players to be playing Diddy Kong, or for MK to get an even matchup, and Mew2King claim a matchup against MKs favor 3 months ago.

Let us review the Melee metagame.

Stage 1: OMG **** SHIEK!
Stage 2: OMG **** MARTH
Stage 3: OMG **** FOX AND MARTH!
Stage 4: OMG **** MANGO'S PUFF
Stage 5: OMG **** PURIN, and DK say what?

A LOT has changed since Janurary.
ICs have a set up into grabs.
Snake, according to Mew2King who faces the matchup at the highest level, is now in Snake's favor.
ICs now go even with MK, this was previous to the set up into grab.
DDD now goes 45-55 with MK.
Pro DDDs now believe we go 65-35 to 60-40 that I am actevily aware of. Some charecters metagames I have trouble following, such as Diddy Kong, Falco, Wario, ZSS, etc.
These are the changes in the last 2 months that I am aware of. The metagame of each charecter can be complicated to keep up with, but these are the ones I am aware of.

Saying anything in Brawl takes more skill than in Melee is quite a stretch. Brawl's 'combos' are using the same move repeatedly.

And wtf? Who do you think the best player is then?
a combo in Melee composes mostly of predicting where you opponent will DI and hitting there, unless you are Fox, but Fox is just silly in terms of tech skill. Nothing compares to him.
The combos we see are not just using a move repeatedly. The Diddy combos went Glidetoss-hit-glidetoss-hit and then some other stuff after that. It was pretty hard to see everything in that screen. Combos in Brawl are forced and not naturally apart of the game engine. We must exploit things outside of hitstun to land a combo.
The best player is Mango. Jiggs has limited combos compared to the rest of the top tiers, though he does second the easiest character to combo with.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So, we're at "Melee vs Brawl" and "Brawl vs Hacked Brawl".

This thread needs to make an immediate u-turn.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
CRASHiC and Red Ryu need to stop posting so sexily.

I wouldn't want to report them for appropriate content.

;D
Oh god, so many infractions!!!

I lol at you people saying Brawl has no combos; Sonic, Lucario, Sheik, Fox, Peach, Diddy kong, Zero suit samus, and Luigi would all like a word with you.

All this Brawl and Melee talk and Smash64 was never brought up. Shame on you all.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Except that's not what the threads about. The thread is adressing banning infinites, though it has deluged into Brawl+ vs Brawl talk.

So because S.N.E.S. Brawl finals were more hyped, more exciting, then Brawl is the more exciting game?

See, it was about the MELEE Genesis grand finals.

Pound 4 is near Melee heaven.
Also, ally playing multiple games is not an argument.
I could say Chuday is playing Brawl, so brawl must be dying.

No, we still use styles of play that they invited.

You aren't going to ever people able to prove something like that. In fact, more people were watching the Brawl SNES finals than the Melee grand finals.
-exciting is an opinion.
-How many players were at S.N.E.S.?
-What styles of play did they invent?
-A banana combo in brawl is soooooooooooo much easier than combos in melee, you barely need any skill to do a banana combo. No hate on ADHD as he is skilled at brawl but a banana combo isn't very hard if that's your example of a brawl combo. What are some other brawl combos that actually take any skill to perform and don't give me any grab release bs
- mango uses jiggs who has many combos, more than every character in brawl (except diddy?) He co-mains falco who isn't the easiest character to combo with in melee and who's combos are by no means limited.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
-A banana combo in brawl is soooooooooooo much easier than combos in melee, you barely need any skill to do a banana combo. No hate on ADHD as he is skilled at brawl but a banana combo isn't very hard if thhat's your example of a brawl combo.
You need to talk to AlphaZealot. :/

What are some other brawl combos?
Lucario:
Fair, Fair, Nair.
Fair, Dair,
Uthrow, Utilt.

Peach:
Dair, Uair, Nair
Dair, Dair, Dair, Fair/Uair/Nair

Shiek:
Ftilt, Usmash,
Grab air release to Usmash.

Just naming a few.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
those are all 100% in hit-stun? wow those all look really hard to do especially compared to melee which is which I'm arguing about.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
those are all 100% in hit-stun? wow those all look really hard to do especially compared to melee which is which I'm arguing about.
Some are a little tricky, Peaches Dair to Dair to Dair one only works in certain situation, but yeah these work.

I've seen top level peaches do the Dair, Uair, Nair. I think it was Praxis versus a Diddy.

I've done all of the Lucario ones I listed, it's not that hard when you learn Lucario, he combos without even trying.

Sheik needs to DACUS for the grab release one to work on MK.

Now that I think about it, Olimar has a few combos from grabs at low %.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Oh god, so many infractions!!!

I lol at you people saying Brawl has no combos; Sonic, Lucario, Sheik, Fox, Peach, Diddy kong, Zero suit samus, and Luigi would all like a word with you.

All this Brawl and Melee talk and Smash64 was never brought up. Shame on you all.
However, for all those characters, other than possibly Diddy Kong, they pretty much have only 2 hit combos at best, can't really combo into kill moves other than Sheik at certain decays at certain %s with certain sweetspots at certain times of the month, and are just plain less flexible in the few combos that they do have.

Also, Sonic can't combo, and Lucario's combos are severely overrated imo. Fair Nair and Fair Dair, other than maybe a jab after the nair at low %. That's pretty much it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
However, for all those characters, other than possibly Diddy Kong, they pretty much have only 2 hit combos at best, can't really combo into kill moves other than Sheik at certain decays at certain %s with certain sweetspots at certain times of the month, and are just plain less flexible in the few combos that they do have.

Also, Sonic can't combo, and Lucario's combos are severely overrated imo. Fair Nair and Fair Dair, other than maybe a jab after the nair at low %. That's pretty much it.
3 hits at best.

And no Sonic can combo.

Some characters you can Fair fair Nair/Dair with Luc. Overrated, probably, but he can combo.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Kirby has a lot of true combos, though I don't know any of them.
cool
those previously combos didn't take as much skill as melee combos do because you can be brand new to the game and do that stuff and those look DI able to me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Fthrow, utilt, uair.

Uair doesn't hit everyone though.

He can also inhale people from a Fthrow.

cool
those previously combos didn't take as much skill as melee combos do because you can be brand new to the game and do that stuff and those look DI able to me.
Some can be escaped by DI.

Other characters like DDD have trouble with this and can get caught in some of the Peach combos above.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
f-throw to u-air the (gonzo combo?) was proven to be escapable.
I've been sarcastic. This is because earlier Crashic said that brawl combos took more skill than melee ones and I asked for some difficult and legitimate combos. Everything posted so far has been so easy that anyone could do them in a couple of minutes if they had never even played before

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
cool
I want a full explanation on how combos, outside of Fox's combos which are the peak of arguably the entire combo world in terms of tech skill for all of fighting game community, aside from some rather extreme cases in Guilty Gear require this tech skill you claim. I can do combos in Melee, and don't even play it that often.

Also, I want a video of you up recreating the combos done by ADHD at SNES.
Glide tossing surely takes more skill than jumping towards your opponent and hitting a button.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Well, congrats on convincing yourself that Brawl is harder than Melee. But I'd like to see you replicate any of the combos that Melee pros do. You seem to forget that "jumping towards your opponent and hitting a button" does not constitute a combo.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
http://lambkill.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/normal_uncle-sam-stfu.jpg

Just jokin' around. :)

But yeah, at least MOST of us are already aware of that. Which makes me wonder on Brawl+'s existence when people can just play Melee and not be ignorant. There may not be character's like Meta Knight and Sonic in Melee, but I think on a competitive view, you get more fun out of a game whether you play your favorite character or not.
Because Brawl+ is exactly like Melee? It's intent is to be Melee 2.0 with the wavedashing and L-canceling and Crouch Canceling and the roster where a decent chunk are useless and the gsybtufjtu?

I respect your opinion to like how Brawl turned out and all, but I don't like ignorant (lol) statements being thrown around about any of the games.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Well, congrats on convincing yourself that Brawl is harder than Melee. But I'd like to see you replicate any of the combos that Melee pros do. You seem to forget that "jumping towards your opponent and hitting a button" does not constitute a combo.
I did not make the claim that Brawl has more tech skill than Melee. I claimed that some of the few combos we have require more tech skill than what most Melee combos have. I'm not talking a Col Bol combo here. The largest amount of tech skill I see happening out of most combos are fast falling an aerial and L canceling it, which hardly compared to Quick attack cancel lock or some of the things ADHD does.
Ice Climbers have a combo into grab now, but the amount of tech skill as well as mental and yomi skill it requires is just off the wall. The demonstration video I saw for it couldn't even get the basic done consistently, much less the blizzard needed to combo into grab, as compared to the far easier combos done by Melee ICs and the easier process of Wobbling.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Lawng post is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawng.

TL;DR: said:
SWF-Hi guise. My name is Cirno. I like Watermelon popstickles and long walks on the beach. Eye'm not an idiot. I am the strongest. My sign is 9. My Intresrests are Smashing-- Brawl included ftw. If you would like to get to know me better please contact me at 999-999-9999.
<3

Eyada- omg hi, I missed u~!! (:
Balance can't exist without every character being the same, but that doesn't mean the projects a failure.

WheelofFish- I heard what you were saying. You know nothing of our work. How you got to become a player in anything is totally amazing. But I won't fuss because I don't wnat to ruin our relationship.

Almost every character section has a thread dedicated solely to guaranteed combos.

Not that combos are the heart of a fighting game anyway. Melee is the only game I know that got the combo system right, but I've personally come to adore the string system in Brawl.

There is something incredibly satisfying about the fact that after a hit, a string, a stock, that there were countless opportunities to turn the entire match's momentum around-- if only they had outsmarted you, if only they out played you. Your opponent was given the chance, defensive options are the best they've ever been, most hits force a reset, and yet they could not take the upper hand from you.

No magical paralyzation from having something silly fall on them or touch them, no omnipotent being forcing them to wait until it was their turn to choose from a list of set moves,(not knocking any games with these mechanics btw) no ect. ect., just Brawl.

I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU CHAINGRABBERS EVEN ENJOY-- kidding kidding. But I do like Brawl.
But I did main Roy in Melee, so maybe thats why, since every character is like Roy now.

;-;

You probably don't have any reason to take it, but I'd like to offer one quick piece of advice: When judging a balance patch, do not focus on one change and theory-craft about it; doing so is a complete waste of time.
Yo, Eyada.
(:

Been a while. Last time we spoke was the Ban MK thread part 3 I believe...

In any case, I'll have to point out that what is a waste of time is entirely subjective.
I'm sure most of our elders would feel the same way about us playing videos games as heavily as we do, let alone arguing/discussing them. ^^;

It's up to each individual to decide what each moment's value is. And as people take quite a liking to expressing their thoughts, I'd say theory-crafting under any circumstance can be considered time well spent in the speaker's eyes.

One man's treasure possibly?
Or am I being an introspective wad?
D:

As a long time Defense of the Ancients player (commonly called DotA; it's a competitive game that is patched constantly), I can tell you that, 90% of the time, initial impressions of balance changes are never accurate over the long-term; especially impressions that aren't based on actually playing the game to experience all of the changes together, first-hand. It's best to do some playtesting before you jump to any hasty conclusions.
Even playtesting can lead to incorrect decisions though. And as creatures that can rationalize, we don't need to experiment all the time to know something. Sometimes, previously gained information from elsewhere can aid us in an understanding of something seemingly new.

You don't need to jump out of a plane to know you are more than likely going to die upon impact with a solid.(Or even water, if you hit flat. =/)

As has already been discussed, the removal of the chaingrab was necessary in order to balance out numerous match-ups. If, as the metagame evolves over the next few months, evidence (i.e., tournament results, playtesting, etc) begins to accumulate which makes it apparent that D3 is too weak/not viable, then he will be given targeted buffs to help alleviate any problematic match-ups that are holding him back.
Herein lies the problem with community/player balancing. I'll cover it in my next quote response though.

However, I don't see how any of that points to the fact that BBrawl "will never be balanced"; in fact, if anything it indicates the exact opposite. Amazing Ampharos and Thinkaman are using a reliable, systematic approach to changing the game, and there is no reason to believe that such a goal cannot be reached. Is the First Official Release 100% perfect? Probably not; but that doesn't mean that the entire project is doomed to failure.
BBrawl can never be balanced for the same reason there will never be a balanced competitive fighting video game: Everyone has their own image of balance. You can come close. Starcraft and Guilty Gear (both of which I play)players are as familiar with updates to help balance as DotA players are I'm sure, but why? Why isn't there ever a final update on games striving for balance? Because the only way to have balance is to be exactly the same. You can come close, and you don't even need that to be a healthy competitive game, but it does help the scene.

And when it comes to players balancing a game, who's to say what they are doing is balanced? Who's to say it isn't?

Why are they qualified when say, M2K isn't?

He commented on thinking MK should have a 30% damage dealing projectile so he won't always have to approach ZSS.

I personally feel like the biggest help to any low tier character, would simply be giving the ability to shield in the dash animation(not the run but the frames right out of a standstill dash[most notable on CF ;-; )

I can only assume Crashic feels that a chaingrab as a form of punishment is very fair, and taking it out imbalances DDD.

Why are our ideas left out when others aren't?
You can see why player fixes will never become standard, or even generally accepted as something.
@_@

When the makers update a game, we usually just go with it in high hopes similar to SBR recommended rule sets.

And Failure?
You don't need to be 100% balanced to call BBrawl a successful project, as I understand it the goal of BBrawl is just to make every character about as good as Diddy Kong, which is a good and achievable goal which will give every character the ability to be viable.
I'm not sure about Thinkaman, but I know Amazing Ampharos is amazing. I look forward to playing the completed version.

Ahh, btw I have playtested every version of hacked Brawl except for Brawl 64. And DDD's uthrow on the edge in BBrawl makes me cry.

):

Saying anything in Brawl takes more skill than in Melee is quite a stretch.

Not really.

Jiggz v Marth/G&W

If you think Melee takes more skill to win that MU please MM me.

I hit you and want to get another hit. Unless it's one of the few combos, more than likely hitstun and wavedashing is going to make doing this alot easier in Melee.

Oh and if you meant tech skill, no player to my knowledge even uses SDI to it's max potential which takes ridiculous tech-skill. And Yoshi's dragonic reverse which can be used as a psudeo-wavedash gives you 9 frames at the most to input 3 buttons. Oh and to move across the stage , this needs to be done consistently. I would assume if it was easier than Melee wavedashing, at the very least Hylian would have been showing this off.

I can go on for hours with stupid stuff like this even though I feel like Melee's level of consistent necessity of tech skill is higher than Brawl's. But, that's not really relevant to my interests, it's just how little some players know about either community is pretty amusing sometimes.

So, we're at "Melee vs Brawl" and "Brawl vs Hacked Brawl".

This thread needs to make an immediate u-turn.

This please?

I'd like to go back to lurking but lulful arguments always get me.
o:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I was going to mention QAC lock, but then someone else did it.

Why am I making this post?

EDIT: So I have some substance.

I'm going to state again that I really don't think that combos make a good fighting game. I actually think they take away from the actual combat part. With massive damage dealing combos, the games become OKAY, WHO CAN LAND THEIR INSANE 47 HIT COMBO AND **** THE OPPONENTS LIFE FIRST? (See MVC2... I keep talking about it, because it's the only other game I've been into on a competitive level) It feels to me like the reward of landing one hit should be... one hit. You should struggle every time to land each hit. This also feels like a better way to determine the better player... less chance of two people with similar tech skill destroying the other from one lucky shot.

Extreme examples, but that's my philosophy.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
I was going to mention QAC lock, but then someone else did it.

Why am I making this post?

EDIT: So I have some substance.

I'm going to state again that I really don't think that combos make a good fighting game. I actually think they take away from the actual combat part. With massive damage dealing combos, the games become OKAY, WHO CAN LAND THEIR INSANE 47 HIT COMBO AND **** THE OPPONENTS LIFE FIRST? (See MVC2... I keep talking about it, because it's the only other game I've been into on a competitive level) It feels to me like the reward of landing one hit should be... one hit. You should struggle every time to land each hit. This also feels like a better way to determine the better player... less chance of two people with similar tech skill destroying the other from one lucky shot.

Extreme examples, but that's my philosophy.
This is why I said imo Melee is the only game that had a competitively functioning combo system. Even 3rd Strike's system was bs. But the ability to parry made it bearable. Melee DI gave those who were getting comboed a little control over what was happening. Ask any Roy main, as without DI he'd be able to combo into kill moves.

Even here though I feel like after a certain plateau has been reached, the ability to have some sort of impact on the outcome of a mistake made becomes very minuscule, and the importance of yomi becomes staggering. If the skill necessary to reach that level wasn't huge aswell, I probably wouldn't have played Melee competitively. When every player can be a possible IC with combos, you just feel like they earned that kill. And sacred combos are sexy.

If you want "OKAY, WHO CAN LAND THEIR INSANE 47 HIT COMBO AND **** THE OPPONENTS LIFE FIRST?" try 64. lol. You get hit in that game and it's a stock. And it doesn't matter where or how you get hit. Shield breaker combos into 0-deaths are awesome when you are the one doing it. Otherwise, you're just like OMG WHY?! Admittedly though, I always was, and am still terrible with DK in that game.

):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh, just noticed you said MVC2 was the only other game you played competitively.
Give Melee a shot. Still one of the best feelings you can get out of competitive gaming as far as I'm concerned. Be warned though, the skill level for average play make most games look like they're rated EC(early childhood). Your first couple tournaments, you will more than likely get *****. Gang *****. By 6 falcons at once. While screaming show me your moves and playing Falcon Jab by Ratatat. And your moves will just not be enough ( u_u;; ) but it'll be fun, and amazing, and most Smash players in general are awesome (even when some seem like wads online), that goes for Melee guys too.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
This argument has (rightfully) turned into a Brawl vs. hacked Brawl/Melee thread because it's asking about the future of competitive play. And Sakurai made a successful effort to make Brawl as uncompetitive as possible. No need to change the direction of the thread if it's going right where is predictable.

Not really.

Jiggz v Marth/G&W

If you think Melee takes more skill to win that MU please MM me.

I hit you and want to get another hit. Unless it's one of the few combos, more than likely hitstun and wavedashing is going to make doing this alot easier in Melee.

Oh and if you meant tech skill, no player to my knowledge even uses SDI to it's max potential which takes ridiculous tech-skill. And Yoshi's dragonic reverse which can be used as a psudeo-wavedash gives you 9 frames at the most to input 3 buttons. Oh and to move across the stage , this needs to be done consistently. I would assume if it was easier than Melee wavedashing, at the very least Hylian would have been showing this off.

I can go on for hours with stupid stuff like this even though I feel like Melee's level of consistent necessity of tech skill is higher than Brawl's. But, that's not really relevant to my interests, it's just how little some players know about either community is pretty amusing sometimes.
Hitstun and wavedashing make the game easier? Really? Really? I guess your next argument is going to that when Sakurai advertised that he was slowing down Brawl (as if it was a good thing), he was truly making the game harder to master.

Match-ups don't make a game hard. You're assuming that Melee had no bad match-ups. And how can you say one match-up is harder than a whole game? That's just stupid.

Not SDI. Teching. You should know that since you claim to know so much about SSB's competitive scene. And it was in Melee. And Melee was faster, so you had less time to do it.

Yoshi's dragonic reverse can be compared to a lot of Samus techs in Melee. Useless. Except Yoshi's dragonic reverse really is.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
WheelofFish:

The vid shows off SDI. The tech at the end is only possible because of that--stop flaming the dude and try not to assume he's an idiot. Also, it's true, no one really cares about SDI/ASDI in melee, which is funny as it's really useful, even getting just 2 imputs in (one off c stick, one off the anallog stick) is really useful, and getting good at it makes things like fox's upthrow->upair (SDI out of the second hit) much less scary.

Brawl's techniques (for the record, most of them much more "glitch"-like than things ppl complained about it melee) take more precise techskill to pull of. However, melee required a much higher average tech skill, because of the pace of the game, and the need to consistently be able to SHFFL

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm actually curious as to what combo you are talking about. If it's the famed "SDR>SDJ>Aerial" combo, it's easily DI/SDI'd out up and towards.
The three hit part wasn't really directed at Sonic.

2/3 hits max is as much as I expect combos in brawl to go on the average character.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
lmao you brawl players convincing yourself this game is hard. If your argument is that a glide toss is harder than something in melee then your so wrong. Simply sheild pressuring with falco is harder than anything in brawl.

at wheel of fish: teching is much easier to do in melee than brawl

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
lmao you brawl players convincing yourself this game is hard. If your argument is that a glide toss is harder than something in melee then your so wrong. Simply sheild pressuring with falco is harder than anything in brawl.

at wheel of fish: teching is much easier to do in melee than brawl
It's not a glitch.

It's an exploit.

If that's a glitch then Wavedashing is a glitch.

Top Bottom