• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The future of Melee (who's going to take over?)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Well, honestly, college dorms aren't exactly brimming with talent. I can beat most of the people at my college with mewtwo......... <.<
thats cuz they suck.

get them into the game first lol.

anyway. AXE will be top 5 for sure. Like we already said and you doubted. whoops haha. he was mad close

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Puff will go up.

Fox is still good.

Falco is amazing.

Peach might go up because she seems good if the opponent can be edgeguarded or combo'd.

Sheik blows but is still better than Peach.

Marth blows but is still better than Peach.

Falcon super blows.

ICs will move up because even without wobbling Wobbles has some ridiculous innovations with them especially using their recovery and on tech chase but they blow.

Ganon blows.

Samus is still only one or two players but one of those two or so players is very good.

Pikachu should move up, he can death combo too randomly on too many characters off like 1-3 reads during a combo and that much power is too much for him to be awful. Maybe better than Mario but maybe not.

Mario sucks. Not even Mango could make him good.

Does anyone even play Doc? Oh yeah WC.

Zelda almost made it out of pools so I guess she's like almost not trash but she's pretty trashy. Not total garbage but not good.

Link is bad and should feel bad.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Me and SleepyK have a really good idea that I think might contribute to growth in the future. We'll post about it sometime this week. :D

Edit: Also, miniscule changes to a ruleset are not going to change anything. New players are not going to go "JUNGLE JAPES IS LEGAL!? HELL YES I'M GOING TO ROM3" And the phrase "less about serious, more about fun" is exactly the same **** that anti-wavedashers or whatever would talk about in 2002 LOL. Get over it, serious Melee IS fun.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
If everyone thought melee was so much fun then the community wouldn't continue to shrink more and more. I think adding more stages will get more noobs and retired players into the game, it would definitely be a gradual and not an instantaneous increase though.

Chad and N64 needs to take some notes from Axe. I'd like to see more players placing with Pikachu.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i wasn't trying to imply that m2 shud go higher. Just giving evidence to show that mewtwo could be part of the future of melee.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
This is one of the few legit arguments against a tier list itself. If Some characters like Mewtwo and Pika are rated extremely low nobody is going to play them ever. Not to mention they aren't particularly easy to win with on a noob lvl of play. Players will switch/start off as the characters that are said to be the best. Meaning TOP tiers.(Maybe high). As a result tournaments are flooded with them and they always win and more keep playing them and the cycle starts over and continues until someone breaks it.

People use to laugh at the idea of Jiggs or Peach winning a tourney back in the day. I'm not saying Mewtwo has that kind of potential. However if there were 10 other Mew2 players close to Taj's level and they all went to APEX at least half of them would have made it out of Pools. Perhaps some may have even placed higher. Sheik and Marth have both died in terms of players that use them in recent years and their lower placings overall dropped massively. Coincidence maybe but who can say. IDK...Something about the tier system seems flawed to me though. However it's needed.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
So far this discussion has been about who will be the very best, but another interesting question would be what do you think the lifespan of melee would be???

SDC

Smash Lord
You didnt even mention m2 lol
i wasn't trying to imply that m2 shud go higher. Just giving evidence to show that mewtwo could be part of the future of melee.
No. Mewtwo will not succeed. Mewtwo will not be a part of melee's future. The reason is that mewtwo is a terrible, horrendous, miserably designed character with insurmountable flaws.

Taj wins with mewtwo because Taj is better then most of the people who think they play this game well. That is all.

Mewtwo has no potential: Taj is just better then you.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
No. Mewtwo will not succeed. Mewtwo will not be a part of melee's future. The reason is that mewtwo is a terrible, horrendous, miserably designed character with insurmountable flaws.

Taj wins with mewtwo because Taj is better then most of the people who think they play this game well. That is all.
it also helps that not many people know how to fight a M2

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
So far this discussion has been about who will be the very best, but another interesting question would be what do you think the lifespan of melee would be???
I think Jiggs(Hbox and his style more specifically) Have put melee on borrowed time. If he does the same at ROM3 It'll get worse. I'd say After Hbox wins/kills the hype yet again at Pound 5 lots will quit playing. I'm pretty sure I'll focus my attention purely on P.M. After that. I won't be remotely interested. Although for now there is still slight hope.

Pi

Smash Hero
I think Jiggs(Hbox and his style more specifically) Have put melee on borrowed time. If he does the same at ROM3 It'll get worse. I'd say After Hbox wins/kills the hype yet again at Pound 5 lots will quit playing. I'm pretty sure I'll focus my attention purely on P.M. After that. I won't be remotely interested. Although for now there is still slight hope.
/spit

That's pathetic.

People have once again fallen back on complaining because it's easier than finding ways/playing the way you need to, to beat Hbox.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Indeed.
With so many top level pros "retiring/taking a break/not caring" its hard to see any future. I really cant think of anyone (in the U.S. at least) who could have a chance against HBOX now that Mango, M2K, Shiz, and others wont be taking the game as seriously...
IDK the future is glim for melee at the moment...

Pengie

Smash Lord
This is the most ******** theory I have ever seen. Why would you or anyone quit because of Juan's style. Is the community really full of that many bitches that they can't get over one player camping them completely outplaying them. Man if that's the case then that's a real shame that so many people would let Juan walk away with the title of the reigning king of Melee :laugh:. I guess FL really is the best, sorry everyone!!!

Merkuri

Smash Lord
This is one of the few legit arguments against a tier list itself. If Some characters like Mewtwo and Pika are rated extremely low nobody is going to play them ever. Not to mention they aren't particularly easy to win with on a noob lvl of play. Players will switch/start off as the characters that are said to be the best. Meaning TOP tiers.(Maybe high). As a result tournaments are flooded with them and they always win and more keep playing them and the cycle starts over and continues until someone breaks it.

People use to laugh at the idea of Jiggs or Peach winning a tourney back in the day. I'm not saying Mewtwo has that kind of potential. However if there were 10 other Mew2 players close to Taj's level and they all went to APEX at least half of them would have made it out of Pools. Perhaps some may have even placed higher. Sheik and Marth have both died in terms of players that use them in recent years and their lower placings overall dropped massively. Coincidence maybe but who can say. IDK...Something about the tier system seems flawed to me though. However it's needed.
This is actually a great argument. And Mewtwo could be low tier imo. If you watch those Taj matches you'll see that Taj plays really smart but he also does a lot of impressive things with the character as well. He's not simply spacing/out reading his opponent, he is utilizing the tools which are only available to Mewtwo and therefore him placing high with Mewtwo is a valid argument that the character is underrated.

Also was Taj vs Plank and Tec0 recorded? I'd love to see those matches.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
People are just mad that Hbox is better than everyone =PP

Well, after apex, Canada looks like it can really bring something to the future of melee. DrPP and Wobbles are looking crazy solid, Wobbles with 3 tourney victories and placing 5th at an international tournament, PP placing 4th and playing incredibly well vs the best peach in the world, in a matchup that armada totally dominates. People better not forget how many young smashers are still playing. I mean, hbox and colbol are what, 16 or something? There's a pretty big community of smashers that can carry melee for a while to come

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Peach might go up because she seems good if the opponent can be edgeguarded or combo'd.
This. Spacies and marth seemed absolutely hopeless after they were off the edge. Watching Armada vs Taj in contrast...the lack of that suffering on M2's part (half the time just bypassing) seemed make Armada look less deadly

Merkuri

Smash Lord
This is the most ******** theory I have ever seen. Why would you or anyone quit because of Juan's style. Is the community really full of that many bitches that they can't get over one player camping them completely outplaying them. Man if that's the case then that's a real shame that so many people would let Juan walk away with the title of the reigning king of Melee :laugh:. I guess FL really is the best, sorry everyone!!!
I think he's arguing that people will quit because the best player in the world plays boring as **** and he ruins the hype from all the tournaments. You may not like it but it's actually not a bad theory.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
/spit

That's pathetic.

People have once again fallen back on complaining because it's easier than finding ways/playing the way you need to, to beat Hbox.
/sigh

shut up man!....I'm sick of you rage posting on Hbox hate. I'm not hating i'm observing. Hbox makes you feel incapable of getting an erection after his sets. :laugh: Thats just life. You always going on about stop hating and just beat him. It sounds to me like you want to beat him...in the homo way. Get off his **** and get off my back dude. I mean you can comeback with the your not good but honestly. Your not good. I don't even think you get the notable "Oh he's good for a "Samus" Pat on the back. You should stop Rage posting about people hating instead of improving and focus on your own improvement.

Not talking about *****ing. I mean can you possibly imagine the amount of work it takes to get for some players to get as good as they have? Those same players are 2-0 or 3-0'd as if they are scrubs. It's 2010 soon to be 2011. Most players are growing up/grown up and can't afford to pay money forever. If you consider the drop from Pound 4 to Apex in terms of people that came it's kinda obvious the effect that Pound 4 had. If GF's is hypeless at ROM3 and Pound 5 I can't see melee building itself back up again. It's not a ***** thing its more of a why waste my time thing.

Look a it this way If you trained in Isolation with the best 5 players with a character(any character) and become the best with whomever it is and Someone else did the exact same thing with Puff. And those two players played Puff wins.

MR.B

Smash Rookie
I think he's arguing that people will quit because the best player in the world plays boring as **** and he ruins the hype from all the tournaments. You may not like it but it's actually not a bad theory.
since when was hbox best in the world lol, mango is still the best

Merkuri

Smash Lord
He was saying that Hbox will win rom3 and Pound 5. Which I agree with. I'm not too sure about Rom3 but by Pound 5 Hbox will be more than capable of beating Mango.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
He was saying that Hbox will win rom3 and Pound 5. Which I agree with. I'm not too sure about Rom3 but by Pound 5 Hbox will be more than capable of beating Mango.
Mango can only beat Hbox using Puff. Had he seriously wanted to win this it have been him and Mango finals again. Basically he hates puff and hates(for singles) and in some way still feels the need to prove himself by going Mario >_>. His Mario is good but idk people saying oh it's only Mango he's gonna win no matter what and not truly respecting him is what I think made mango care alot less about the game and community.

If Puff's DownB and Wobbling were both banned. I think Melee's future would be much more promising.

As for me and Hungrybox.
I don't want people to think I dislike Hbox btw. I don't at all. Just the opposite and I feel sorry for him in his position but honestly. He's in a tough spot and I am glad it's not me in his shoes. Dispite winning First place much easier then Mango did he got no USA chants or massive praise. He people rolled there eyes and walked away. That must hurt him although I'm sure the money will help cheer him up. All in he holds the future to melee in his hands.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol im confused why people are makin the m2 thing a bigger deal then it was supposed to be.

m2 is a part of melee's future cuz taj still ***** with him. Simple as that.

edit: pretty sure mango beat hbox in a mm with spacies like 2 days ago

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Mango said on the livestream that he would not be attending Rom3. He said he would quit for a year or so and if Hbox was still winning, he would come back...
but honestly one year of not playing will probably make mango incapable of beating Hbox... If you dont keep playing your progress will stop and everyone else will catch up to you so it wont matter if he comes back. Just look at Shiz. He went from getting 3rd at ROM and 9th at Genesis (would have placed much higher if it werent for Armada) to Apex which seemed like a Falco that was past his prime...

Pengie

Smash Lord
I really don't see why that would be a reason for people to quit. If anything that should fuel the fire for more people to get better. Like I said, are people really going to let Juan just walk away with being the best player in the world because of how he plays?

Not talking about *****ing. I mean can you possibly imagine the amount of work it takes to get for some players to get as good as they have? Those same players are 2-0 or 3-0'd as if they are scrubs. It's 2010 soon to be 2011. Most players are growing up/grown up and can't afford to pay money forever. If you consider the drop from Pound 4 to Apex in terms of people that came it's kinda obvious the effect that Pound 4 had. If GF's is hypeless at ROM3 and Pound 5 I can't see melee building itself back up again. It's not a ***** thing its more of a why waste my time thing.

Look a it this way If you trained in Isolation with the best 5 players with a character(any character) and become the best with whomever it is and Someone else did the exact same thing with Puff. And those two players played Puff wins.
Again I don't know about you but any time I feel like I trained hard and then get curbstomped (which isn't that rare in FL, I always seem to get Colin/Juan in my side of the bracket >_>) That makes me want to train even harder. May be it's just me that can't stand losing and uses it as a drive to get better :dizzy:. As for everyone growing up, that's a natural cause of time my friend. You can't expect everyone to stay around and have to accept that people will move on for whatever reason.

The whole hypeless grand finals thing at P4 leading to a drop in attendence at Apex is a steaming load of shit. I don't think I saw one person ever say that P4 grands affected their decision to go to Apex. It's all about money. I know for a fact that after P4 most FL smashers didn't make it to Apex due to money being an issue. I know we all want giant megatournies happening every week but it just can't happen. even when spaced as far apart as Apex and Pound 4 you have to consider that other tournaments will happen as well as semi large regional tournaments that will put a drain on people's wallets.

I don't know you might want to waste your time because you enjoy the game and the community, but that's just me.

Pi

Smash Hero
/sigh

shut up man!....I'm sick of you rage posting on Hbox hate. I'm not hating i'm observing. Hbox makes you feel incapable of getting an erection after his sets. :laugh: Thats just life. You always going on about stop hating and just beat him. It sounds to me like you want to beat him...in the homo way. Get off his **** and get off my back dude. I mean you can comeback with the your not good but honestly. Your not good. I don't even think you get the notable "Oh he's good for a "Samus" Pat on the back. You should stop Rage posting about people hating instead of improving and focus on your own improvement.
Lmfao

You think what, because some butthurt hbox haters agree'd with you people respect you now?

No, kid, I remember you back from the genesis thread, nothing has changed, you're still a noob and it'll always be that way with that mindset.

In fact you're a great testament to the general mindset of anyone who *****es about Hbox 'I'm a scrub and I'm looking for any reason (excuse) to belittle the game I can't succeed at because it's too hard'.

Just because you and your little like minded scrub group are thinking of abandoning this great game doesn't mean it's dying, as far as I'm concerned it's getting cleansed.

It's hard for me to believe that you can even lie to yourself enough to think that you're in any kind of position to call someone else bad. If you're really sick of getting schooled at your locals and by any random on the streets then feel free to MM me, I'm short on funds and could use some pocket change.

p.s. try not to jerk off too hard to the fact that I directed a post at you, it'll be the last one.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
/sigh

LOOOL, you sound ridiculous, you also shouldn't be calling people bad, I really don't think you're in a position to be doing that. You are currently just someone who posts alot on smashboards, which is ultimately a nobody.

I'm 100% sure kniht is better than you also which makes this even worse

Also you're theory on people quitting from hbox being too good is basically a logical theory to anyone who's basically, well a *****. Dunno how else to put it. Doesn't matter if you put tons of time into the game and he does better faster, welcome to life. that **** happens all the time. M2K/tons of pros has been playing melee since like what, a year after the release and people that have been playing for half that or less still beat him all the time. Some people just learn faster/find ways to do really well over others.

Top Bottom