• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Galerang (Stories)

Now naturally, the galerang is not exactly a well-kept secret. We all know of its properties, and its general awesomeness, but a lot of people don't fully realize its potential.

For whatever reason, the galerang seems to adore me. 90% of the time the return tornado does exactly what I want it to do, and occasionally things that are beyond my imagination, but still total trollage. Plenty of people have had experience with the galerang pulling people into their own smash attacks, blah blah blah, but this is a common occurence for me.

Even the front half of the projectile is sheer awesomeness. Forgive me if I sound noobish here, but imao, the galerang, unlike the arrow (which justs hits them and causes a flinch), actually clobbers the opponent, stunning them for quite a bit longer and allowing for an easy followup with a dash attack. Unlike the arrow, it can be aimed upwards or downwards, (blah blah blah, I'm sure you all already know this)

Another interesting feature is that if the opponent is just beyond the vertex of the galeranges initial arc, (right at the range point where it starts pulling back) it actually pushes them backwards instead of hitting them. I have had loads of fun with this, pushing unsuspecting opponents off the stage--and often times, in their confusion, they trap themselves under the ledge of final destination, for uber lawls and pwnage. At the very least, it generally surprises them enough so that you can get another projectile in.

Okay, now I understand you're all bored and are prepared to post the heartbreaking "too long, didn't read." So one more hilarious aspect of the galerang.

We all know that if the galerange intercepts a flying opponent on its return, it will slow them down dramatically, sometimes even stop them completely. Although it is generally frustrating, since it saves the lives of opponents, plenty of linksters (I presume) have ahd experiences with his side smash, where the first hit sends them flying, only to be stopped in place by the returning galerang, and to be nailed by Link's much stronger second strike. This isn't anything particularly noticeable, but in several instances, I've had perhaps the most hilarious instance of all. We all know that link's down smash results in a double swing, a weaker swing in front of him and a stronger one behind. Several times, I've had the hilarious experience of watching a high-damaged opponent getting hit by the first strike of my down smash, (which would not kill them) only to be thrust by the returning galerang BEHIND ME, and getting nailed by the second hit, (remember, they alreayd have a lot of momentum at this point) and skyrocketing for the lawlsko.

So anyway, feel free to post your own lawl galerang stories. (I'm pretty sure we're all full of them)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good Stuff BearerOfTheTriforce

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277706&page=16
This is from something I researched some time ago:
"Direct spacing notes:
Boomerang throws that are tilted, ground bounced, and strait have the same horizontal range. Tilted throws go the farthest because of horizontal and vertical distance.
[...]
Smashed boomerang reach (top to bottom) up angled, down bounced, forward throw:

Inputting angles that are in between the notches on the hole around the control stick will result in shallower throw angles. The steepness of slopes in stages will influence the bounce as long as a strait vertical barrier isn’t hit. The boomerang will travel down as far as it can travel up from the plane where Link throws it if nothing gets in the way (not shown).
[...]
Galeboomerang: Attack with far, wide, direct and indirect potential every time you use this. Returning the gale pulls opponents and will follow Link’s vertical position returning. Usually the boomerang is thrown above, or dodged by the opponent to setup pulling strategies. At the last part of the forward reach opponents will be pushed by the gale, tilting rather than smashing will shorten the boomerang’s range. Pushing opponents who are freefalling or without remaining jumps can lead to stage guarding KOs.
The push range starts-ends (measured horizontally): Tilted- 2/5-1/2 the length of Final Destination, Smashed- 1/2-2/3."

This is cool; Link's projectiles were coordinated to space with each other. After some testing I found an easy way to judge where the wind starts: (Also quoted from a guide I made long ago)

"Direct uncharged arrow and bomb spacing:

(Distance of) 1 quickdraw, 2 SH arrow, 3 jumped arrow, 4 weak bomb toss, 5 Forward bomb throw, 6 SH/jumped Forward bomb throw."
Easy way to space the wind:
The horizontal distance where the wind starts (thrown strait, ground bounced, angled up or down, from air or on the ground, it doesn't matter) is:
Tilted: 1 (where an uncharged arrow and weak bomb toss land)
Smashed: 2 (where a short hop uncharged arrow lands)
Any Link who knows how to spam can easily judge the proper distance!

Phantom boomerangs have the same wind-start spacing but will continue forward after the attack hits too. (Useless info).
The exception to the horizontal distance rule is: when the boomerang hits a slope traveling forwards the distance will be measured at the new angle's direction. Slopes making overhangs like on the bottom of BF, FD and most stages automatically start the only wind return phase.
1:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I8UHIOgpr0

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah its fun just screwing with people like that. But my favorite use of it is to help me do the ridiculous. Stuff like
Rang Arrow locking into Ftilt/Fsmash
Gale Pulls for double Dsmash
Gale Pulls to keep opponents close after a jab combo.
Fthrow/Bthrow into Gale Pulls to jab locking

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
My last combo video was very criticized 'cause it had a lot of galerang trolling xD

Top Bottom