• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Game Master: A Captain N support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
CAPTAIN N
The Game Master

Background
Captain N is the main character of the cartoon of the same name.
The story revolves around Kevin Keene, a teenager who loved Nintendo games, and was good at them. One day he got summoned by Princess Lana into Videoland in order to save them from Mother Brain and her goons.
Captain N is armed with a Gamepad on his belt which gives him an array of unique abilities, and most importantly, his trademark NES Zapper which he uses to dematerialize opponents.
Captain N, together with his dog Duke, joins forces with Princess Lana, Icarus (aka: Pit), Simon Belmont*, Megaman*, Game Boy*, and Samus* to protect Videoland from Mother Brain and her henchmen King Hippo, Eggplant Wizard, *Dr.Wily, *and Uranus as well as an army of space pirates.
*(In the TV show only)
*(In the comics only)

Why? What does he bring to the table?
Nintendo is no stranger to TV series, Pokemon, the most notable success, then F-Zero Falcon no Densetsu and Kirby in the form of japanese anime are recent examples, but in the past, there was a Mario show, a Legend of Zelda show... and one other extra show that tried to encompass everything hot with Nintendo at the time.
That show was Captain N.
Just like Mr.Game and Watch represents a whole handheld system of its own, and R.O.B. represents Nintendo's peripherals/toys... Captain N could represent all the wonderful and not so wonderful Nintendo shows that have graced television since the mid 90's.
Not only that, but Captain N was also available in the form of comics inside Nintendo power magazines, and later took form of stand alone comics independant from Nintendo Power.
So Captain N represents TWO Nintendo licenced forms of entertainment media at once.

Palette Swaps:
(Main art by D-MAC)
=

Default RED - Belmont BLUE - Mega GREEN
Icarus WHITE - Game Boy BEIGE - Lana PINK
NES GRAY - Captain-S BLUE - Link GREEN

Moveset
A: Jab, knee, Zapper hilt strike.
Ftilt: Zapper spin (racks up little damage)
Dtilt: Trip gun (Causes opponent to trip)
Utilt: High roundhouse kick

Fsmash: Advancing crane kick
Usmash: Ice Tetris (Shoots a tetris block of ice in a parabollic fashion. The block shape means the trajectory in which the opponent is sent back if hit)
Dsmash: Sweep kick (Works like Captain Falcon's dsmash from SSB 64)

Dash attack: Shoulder tackle

Nair: Sex kick
Fair: Soccer air kick (sends opponents upwards)
Dair: Gun hilt spike (Must hit with the hilt to sweetspot it, not the barrel)
Bair: Roundhouse kick
Uair: Flash kick

Z: Grabs opponent with hand
Z+A: Hits with Zapper hilt
Z+up: Kevin teleports himself up with opponent, and lets him fall, before stomping him.
Z+sides: Throws to the sides and fires zapper
Z+down: Throws down, and shoots.

B: ZAPPER
(Falco Laser-like, except fire ratio is lower, and flinch is higher)
Btilt: MORPH BALL
(Works like Boost Ball from Metroid Prime. Harder charge, longer distance+damage)
Bdown: DUKE
(calls his dog for support. Upon appearing, Duke will run forward. If he hits an opponent, Duke will grab him for a while until opponent struggles free)
Bup: FAST FORWARD
(works like Lucario's Extreme Speed except it comes out instantly. No damage)

Final Smash: PAUSE
A circular aura flashes around Captain N, similar to Taboo's. If opponents are caught in it, they will freeze in place. Then Kevin will have a chance at dealing KO knockback power with his Zapper.

Counter Arguments
"He's 4th party!!!"
-Actually, he's as much of a Nintendo character as any other character seen in SSB rosters (except Snake, Sonic, and Megaman). He just didn't originate in a videogame. His codename is CAPTAIN N... N stands for Nintendo. His original name was, in fact, Captain Nintendo.

"Then...he did not originate in a video game!?"
-ROB didn't either. Exceptions can be made for NINTENDO properties anyway. Not to mention he's based on a show about videogames, particularly to advertise NINTENDO games mostly.

"He hasn't been relevant for years"
-Recency arguments tend to get shot down pretty quickly by characters like Ice Climbers, ROB, Mr.G&W, Pit, etc.

The character Captain N first appeared in Nintendo Power magazine, created by a Nintendo staff member and magazine editor named Randy Studdard. The original concept involved Captain N (originally known as "Captain Nintendo") as a Nintendo employee and the Mother Brain as a Nintendo main computer that went rogue, and Captain Nintendo had the power to temporarily give life to characters and items from Nintendo games. The story left a door open for a sequel (Mother Brain is temporarily defeated but her return was said to be inevitable, and Captain Nintendo vows to stop her when the time comes). Nintendo later decided to create a cartoon series, opting neither to credit nor to compensate its creator. DIC Entertainment was shopped as the animation studio, and very little of the original concept remained.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I support this for the same reason I support Daitoryo; I think that a character is eligible if it is owned by Nintendo, even if it did not originate in a video game.

I have two questions, though:
Does he use other things that could make his moveset more unique? Like, what is he canonically known to do that is inspired by a piece of Nintendo history? Since his only chance is as a historical character, I think his moveset should be primarily historical references to Nintendo if he can do them.

Anything I could help you with in regards to the OP? Need some more research done? Could you use another moveset?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Here's my argument, he's never been relevant in Japan. Unfortunately it seems if it didn't exist in Japan then it won't happen. Also, R.O.B. may not have been in a video game but he was very much a part of video games and interacted with them. Captain N never had anything to with any Nintendo game ever. He's pretty much like Non-Specific Action Figure and used to promote games not actually a part of them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I support this for the same reason I support Daitoryo; I think that a character is eligible if it is owned by Nintendo, even if it did not originate in a video game.

I have two questions, though:
Does he use other things that could make his moveset more unique? Like, what is he canonically known to do that is inspired by a piece of Nintendo history? Since his only chance is as a historical character, I think his moveset should be primarily historical references to Nintendo if he can do them.

Anything I could help you with in regards to the OP? Need some more research done? Could you use another moveset?

Glad to see your support! :)
As for your questions:

1.- So far, I only know this: He has a zapper which shoots two kinds of things. A dematerializing ray, and ice blocks in the shape of tetris blocks. He carries a gamepad on his belt which I've noticed has the following powers: Pause (temporary stops everything except him and his friends), Fast Forward (super speedy dash), and Morph Ball. He also uses the gamepad to perform really high jumps as well. And finally, the POWER GLOVE shows up in the cartoon/comics as the voice of prophecies, but he could wear it for some additional powers. In fact.. it'd be a good chance to wear all of the N.E.S. accesories while he's at it. But canonically, those abilities I mentioned. At least from what I've seen so far.

2.- Whatever you can bring to the table, will be welcomed. I seem to have trouble finding the Intro song which I was going to include for kicks. Movesets are welcome as well. :D

Here's my argument, he's never been relevant in Japan. Unfortunately it seems if it didn't exist in Japan then it won't happen. Also, R.O.B. may not have been in a video game but he was very much a part of video games and interacted with them. Captain N never had anything to with any Nintendo game ever. He's pretty much like Non-Specific Action Figure and used to promote games not actually a part of them.

I'll grant you the first one. Japanese bias is strong with Sakurai.
But not appearing in videogames is not necessarily an issue. Sure, ROB did cameo in a few games, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a factor in getting him in Brawl. The rule was "must have originated in a videogame" which ROB did not do. If he could already bend that law, appearing in videogame after his creation was an afterthought, not the reason for his inclusion. What ROB did do was sell Nintendo systems disguised as a toy.... Kinda like Captain N advertising games through a show? Hey, I said kinda. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support Captain N. Better him than Goku and Naruto. But then again, he could open the floodgates for 4th party characters...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just read all of the comics this morning. :D

They're ok, some chapters are pretty good, but every chapter with Samus in it is a blast to read.
(For those who don't know, the COMIC cast is slightly different, as the 3rd party characters were replaced by Samus. So basically, it's Kevin, Lana, Pit (Icarus), and Samus).

There was one particular chapter where Kevin goes on a rampage, takes Lana's Power Scepter and starts slamming everyone around, so... Captain N is one mean staff user as well. :D They mentioned once or twice that he has a mean punch as well.

I'll try to update the OP further later tonight with whatever more I can gather.

I support Captain N. Better him than Goku and Naruto. But then again, he could open the floodgates for 4th party characters...
Maybe not, despite being a show, it's still 100% Nintendo creation.
It'd be like saying R.O.B. opens the floodgates to Hot Wheels or Max Steel. XD

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Going by what you underlined, the concept of Captain N - Randy Studdard's version - would mesh remarkably well into the Smash Bros universe. Both are Nintendo crossovers. Both have the "inanimate characters come to life" themes. Still, Cap getting in Smash 4 is pretty much inconceivable - it would be ten times the WTF factor of Wii Fit Trainer if he did. I think for him to ever get into smash he pretty much has to be rebooted, modernized, and released in Japan.

There could be some potential for a modern reboot. Forget manga and cartoon shows. Captain N is a great idea for an actual game. It could be essentially the epic crossover Subspace Emissary was attempting to be, without the distraction of trying to be a balanced fighting game at the same time. If Nintendo of America could be made aware of this idea, they may like it enough to pass to along to Japan. I believe I read in one of the 'Iwata Talks' that the persistent suggestions of NoA reps is what caused Punch Out Wii to finally get made. Maybe they could do the same with Captain N. From there, who knows. Put this project in Platinum's hands and it could be a masterpiece.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Going by what you underlined, the concept of Captain N - Randy Studdard's version - would mesh remarkably well into the Smash Bros universe. Both are Nintendo crossovers. Both have the "inanimate characters come to life" themes. Still, Cap getting in Smash 4 is pretty much inconceivable - it would be ten times the WTF factor of Wii Fit Trainer if he did. I think for him to ever get into smash he pretty much has to be rebooted, modernized, and released in Japan.

There could be some potential for a modern reboot. Forget manga and cartoon shows. Captain N is a great idea for an actual game. It could be essentially the epic crossover Subspace Emissary was attempting to be, without the distraction of trying to be a balanced fighting game at the same time. If Nintendo of America could be made aware of this idea, they may like it enough to pass to along to Japan. I believe I read in one of the 'Iwata Talks' that the persistent suggestions of NoA reps is what caused Punch Out Wii to finally get made. Maybe they could do the same with Captain N. From there, who knows. Put this project in Platinum's hands and it could be a masterpiece.

I think you're on to something.

Yeah, his chances are really really small for SSB4, I won't deny it. But I'm going to focus on what you said that piqued my interest a great deal.

NoJ already had a go at a sort of Captain N game. I think you recall:

But wait, that's not the end of it.
The game had too many Japanese references, pop culture (Super Sentai main hero... then again Wonderful 101), and several uptoned jokes that made the game impossible to localize...

HOWEVER
Let's not forget how the western version of Ouendan was something completely different.

So ... a westernized version of Captain Rainbow could happen, and what better substitute captain than Captain Nintendo himself?
Just saying... hoping it happens at some point.
And of course, it would have to be rebooted and modernized a bit as well. Hopefully, with Iwata now in the lead of NoA, something like this could come to pass.

As for SSB. Unfortunately there's the issue about moveset uniqueness. If it's not unique enough for Sakurai to "go out on a limb" to include him, then chances are he won't be given a second look.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
If he is an actual nintendo character yes... maybe, why not? i never like him really, is just ********, but i can understand, and i think samus is awesome in the comic with her greedy behavior (looks like an actual bounty hunter there).

There was this rock n game boy kid in japan btw.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Rock'n_Game_Boy

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The R.O.B. argument you use still doesn't work. R.O.B. may not have been in the cartridge, but he was a part of the games Stack-Up and Gyromite. He's a part of those games as much as Mario is a part of Super Mario Bros. You control R.O.B. to win in those games just like you would Mario.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I have heard of Captain N before and this does seem like an interesting suggestion. I can see him being a trophy, but a playable character does seem like a stretch. Who knows though, I would never have guessed Wii Fit Trainer becoming playable, so anything can happen.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'd like his appearance in the game very much. One of about three or four cartoon characters that'd make some sense to me. Support.

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
So ... a westernized version of Captain Rainbow could happen, and what better substitute captain than Captain Nintendo himself?

Would buy. I would want it to be a serious game though. A broad adventure with Captain N fighting his way through various Nintendo Locations, with the option of having famous characters assist you along the way. I hate to say it, but a bit like Kingdom Hearts, with Zelda (edit: Metroid) style combat

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I don't see it happening, but count me in as a supporter. I actually suggested Captain N once or twice back in the pre-Brawl days.

I think he'd be the perfect "Huh? Wait, what?" character for this game... a character no one expects, even less people remember but who has a pretty significant role in Nintendo's early history. I'd be down for a Captain N revival comic book or something, too.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Would buy. I would want it to be a serious game though. A broad adventure with Captain N fighting his way through various Nintendo Locations, with the option of having famous characters assist you along the way. I hate to say it, but a bit like Kingdom Hearts, with Zelda (edit: Metroid) style combat
What's wrong with Kingdom Hearts?

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
I should have added an imo there, it's a good game, just was never a fan of it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom