• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gauntlet

SheerMadness

Smash Master
My proposal for a fun online challenge event. Basically someone tries to the run the tier list gauntlet and see how far they can get. You start from the bottom of the tier list and you'd play 1 or some of the best players of that char and see how far you can make it up the tier list without losing. Example:

C Tier
(12)Samus ----- Kabal
(11)Link ------- DaBomb
(10)Luigi -------- Near

B Tier
(9)Ness -------- Firo
(8)Jigglypuff -------- Blue Yoshi
(7)DK ---------- ECartman
(6)Yoshi ---------- Korobeniki

A Tier
(5)Mario ----------- Fireblaster
(4)Falcon ------------ Superboom
(3)Kirby ------------ A$

S Tier
(2)Fox ------------ ZenYore
(1)Pikachu ----------- Kefit

This is just an example, I used the 1st decent players of a char who popped into my head so don't get offended if I didn't list you.

Obviously we'd have to nominate a player for each character but you get the point. You start with Link and see how far you can go down the list before losing. Sets would be best of 5 w/ each char or something.

If you're interested post a nomination for who you think should represent each character.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
lol I feel honoured to be selected as Puff in your example :)

One question... what would happen if someone on this list were to want to try this? (e.g. if Kabal wanted to do this). Would we elect a second Samus to temporarily replace him?

I'd be up for repping puff :p

DMoogle

A$
You didn't put yourself for Yoshi? *Insert MattNF picture here*

I think MATTS! would start hating me if I represented Kirby. :p I'd be down for repping Link or Weegee too. I think Dabomb has a slightly better Link on Dreamland, but I have a much better one on Hyrule. We haven't played all that much though, so I might be wrong in that assessment. Not entirely sure how my Weegee compares to Near's, haven't played him that much lately.

I don't really understand the structure of this, but it might be because I'm sleep deprived.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
No, you use whatever char you want to run the guantlet.

It would kinda be like 1p mode, but actually being against real people and not ****ty computers. And no Giant DKs or Yoshi herds.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Thinking about this gauntlet idea, if we were to go through with it, we could start with a set of people as our 'champions'. They play through every other 'champion' (total of 11 matches), and have a final score for themselves. If someone can go with a given character, and end up with a better result than that person, then they become the champion of that character (score involves all matches minus the ditto match... with the ditto being the tiebreaker). If someone does succeed in getting a better score, then everyone's scores gets changed according to their match against that character (so for example, say the Link champ wins against the first Samus champ, but the new Samus champ wins against the Link champ, the Link champ now has a loss against the Samus champ).

I actually like this idea.

And people who are already champions can go through the gauntlet if they want, and their new score will override their old score.

We'll keep the champion's results in a chart, so that we can more easily figure out the changes in scores when a new champion appears.

I prefer this over the series in the sense that now it's not only puff dittos or Kirby dittos or *insert boring ditto character here* dittos, but how a person can handle every character.

Anyone agree? Anyone disagree?

D

Deleted member

Best online DK is probably Danny_SSB

but he lives in south america

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
UNKNOWN hosted something like this before he got banned from galaxy. If someone would nominate themself as the Mario Champion, they'd hold the Mario Belt, and people can challenge him. They'll play a set of Mario dittos, and whoever wins will get and hold the belt until a new challenger steps up.
What's the conclusion? Idk.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
UNKNOWN hosted something like this before he got banned from galaxy. If someone would nominate themself as the Mario Champion, they'd hold the Mario Belt, and people can challenge him. They'll play a set of Mario dittos, and whoever wins will get and hold the belt until a new challenger steps up.
What's the conclusion? Idk.
Puff dittos (and other boring dittos).

Why not what I suggested:

Thinking about this gauntlet idea, if we were to go through with it, we could start with a set of people as our 'champions'. They play through every other 'champion' (total of 11 matches), and have a final score for themselves. If someone can go with a given character, and end up with a better result than that person, then they become the champion of that character (score involves all matches minus the ditto match... with the ditto being the tiebreaker). If someone does succeed in getting a better score, then everyone's scores gets changed according to their match against that character (so for example, say the Link champ wins against the first Samus champ, but the new Samus champ wins against the Link champ, the Link champ now has a loss against the Samus champ).

And people who are already champions can go through the gauntlet if they want, and their new score will override their old score.

We'll keep the champion's results in a chart, so that we can more easily figure out the changes in scores when a new champion appears.

I prefer this over the series in the sense that now it's not only puff dittos or Kirby dittos or *insert boring ditto character here* dittos, but how a person can handle every character.

Basically, all the character champions run through the Gauntlet (or whatever we call it), play 11 matches, and come up with a score out of 11. Then other people run through the gauntlet and if they beat that person's score, they become the champion of that character.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice

I love this idea. I think it represents a person's ability with a character much better than dittos. (personally i feel weakest with dittos). I have a question though. Assuming the champions of each character are highly skilled with their character, the lower tier champion contendors are going to have a tough time comparing skills if only wins are taken into account. For example, you could run the gauntlet with link and not win a match, but take off a lot of stocks from each champion.

Also, some people (boom) could win the gauntlet with several characters. I'm assuming they would have to pick which character to be the champion of and their score for the other characters would not affect other contendors.

This sounds like a lot of fun :)

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
I'd participate to take that Falcon or pikachu title, even tough I'm pretty sure I stand no chance agaisn't Boom or kefit >.> But I got a solid CF and Pika.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Does Firo actually have any tech skill? or is he just another Ness***

I second Tiger with Pikachu.

Also I think a really dominant player shouldn't be on it, aka Superboom/Jaime

The Star King

Smash Hero
Blue Yoshi, your idea sounds extremely fun and all, but I think it would difficult to organize/take a long time to play matches with TWELVE people.

DMoogle

A$
Ness' gimping ability is a double-edged sword since his killing ability really shines near an edge, but that's also by far the most dangerous place for him to be. He's the only character that's really like that.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
He's decent but I played some dittos with him recently and consistently 2-3 stocked him. I think that I'm still the best Samus outside of the elite players.
i remember seeing some of ur old samus videos, and compared to me, i would prolly 2-3 stock u. but then again, those videos are like 2 years old :p

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
uhhh no you wouldnt...his samus is pretty hax...no lie true story k thx bai.

lol no

im just goin off of the videos i saw of him. i was statin that if i played nintendude how he was 2 years ago, today, i would prolly 2-3 stock him. i dont know how good he is now so i dont know wat will happen. and besides, ive gotten a whole lot better since me and u played tigerbombz, which was like a year ago :p

D

Deleted member

the only reason nintendude has a "good" samus is because all he does is camp and you eventually get tired and just rush him, beating him barely by 1 stock but still winning and saving 20 minutes of your time

face a samus like jaimeHR's, who is good without camping 99% of the time and never misses a charge shot

Top Bottom