• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
What kind of player am I?

This question seems a little bit obvious but I will indulge myself; maybe there is something I can express that may bridge the gap between greatness and I.

What kind of player am I? That is the question I have posed for myself and yet I think I need first answer another question before I can answer the initial question coherently. Other players, the “pro” players all share something. They have to otherwise there would be a huge gap between skill level. And from the video footage of tournaments I have seen, the matches are often too close for there to be much difference between the players. First, I am aware it is their knowledge of the game, tactics, techs, and an overall mastery of their respective mains. Another aspect of this is natural gaming talent, charisma aka Mind Games. But what are the ratios? Can someone who does not hold any sort of significant natural talent still become one the greatest players to pick up the controller? This is my hope. I have worked very hard for my skill level and yet there is still something missing. And that is what I intend to discover through writing this essay.

I now find it very necessary to criticize myself. This is because I know see something I had not before. In the entire scope of players, the community of brawl, there is only the good, the bad and the ugly. The community as a whole only contains a handful of good players. M2K, DSF, and other regular top finishers in major and even smaller tournaments make this cut because of their consistency and obvious talent. Players like myself finish well but are not consistent and not an attendant of many major tournaments. Those of us in smaller communities, those of us who do well amongst our friends, those of us who almost win and almost make an impact are the “Bad”. Yes this is true. It is most likely YOU are not a good player and the GOOD players know this. I am not a good player, not yet. Then there are those of us who like to think they are good, and find fault in their own mistakes when experiencing a loss instead of attributing it to the obvious higher level of skill then themselves, these are the “Ugly”. Those are the individuals who do not think they are “Bad” and are those who John, examples “If only I (insert John) I would’ve won” that the equivalent to saying “If was a better player I would have won”, its ridiculous. And don’t forget the “You didn’t kill me, I killed myself” Well that’s just saying a lot about your “supposed” skill isn’t it? The “Ugly” also have another nickname already made famous; ‘Scrub”.

“Bad” players are capable of becoming “Good” players. The “Ugly” players, sadly, do not have a light at the end of tunnel, unless they change their Scrubby ways. The distinction between “Bad” players and “Ugly” players is simple. “Bad” players are Naïve, falling for mind games, not analyzing “Heaven, Earth, and everything in between”. Yet they are willing to learn and willing to take criticism not as a personal attack or player degradation but an opportunity to better themselves. “Bad” players have in them every ounce of potential needed to become a “Good” player they must merely work to achieve it.

“Ugly” players on the other hand are ignorant and take far too much pride into the game. They take a loss as a personal reflection on themselves and cannot handle the shot to their pride and then continue on the path many of us have seen; Johning. These individuals are stubborn and refuse defeat. Refusing defeat as a possibility is denying yourself the most crucial of stepping ladders to becoming a “Good” player. These individuals are also the ones who seem to take FAR TOO MUCH pride in winning 1 out of 5 matches, and neglecting the fact that they had been losing the previous four matches. They refuse that they have been losing day after day. Once they win they extend the moment further than it should be allowed. They also take these not too often occurring wins as them reaching a certain “standard” a standard that implies that they are “Good” and they have no quam with convincing themselves of it. They also may be knowledgeable, reading, practicing of AT’S and such but they do so only to convince themselves even further how “Good” they are. They love knowing the terminology just for the sake of regurgitation. And again, the attribute a loss to everything but the resounding one, THE OTHER PLAYER WAS BETTER THAN YOU.

“Bad” players learn and practices, techs, and AT’S because they know it is crucial to know. But also know that AT’S are but only another puzzle piece in the entire picture. Knowing terminology and AT’S does not convince them of anything, but only that the game they are attempting to be “Good” at requires a lot of them.

So now again I ask myself what kind of player am I?

I am a bad player. One who has yet to “ascend” to the level I know I can ascend too. I may become frustrated; loss after loss but it is only a loss and not a predetermined perspective as to the kind of player I will always be. I will utilize others, whether their skill is higher or lower than my own, so that I can attain the skill necessary for me to able to say that yes indeed, I am a good player.

Can you honestly answer what kind of player you are?​

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I like your description of "Ugly." Pretty nice synopsis.

I consider myself "Good."

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I consider myself "Bad". I know that I'm not good and can accept it. :bee:

Due to my physical restrictions I won't become a "good" player, but I can live with that. Also, I'm a better team partner than solo player. O_o

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
good read, I enjoyed it

and my honest answer, I believe I'm a good player, I work really hard to steadily improve and reinforce that belief too

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
What kind of player am I?

This question seems a little bit obvious but I will indulge myself; maybe there is something I can express that may bridge the gap between greatness and I.

What kind of player am I? That is the question I have posed for myself and yet I think I need first answer another question before I can answer the initial question coherently. Other players, the “pro” players all share something. They have to otherwise there would be a huge gap between skill level. And from the video footage of tournaments I have seen, the matches are often too close for there to be much difference between the players. First, I am aware it is their knowledge of the game, tactics, techs, and an overall mastery of their respective mains. Another aspect of this is natural gaming talent, charisma aka Mind Games. But what are the ratios? Can someone who does not hold any sort of significant natural talent still become one the greatest players to pick up the controller? This is my hope. I have worked very hard for my skill level and yet there is still something missing. And that is what I intend to discover through writing this essay.

I now find it very necessary to criticize myself. This is because I know see something I had not before. In the entire scope of players, the community of brawl, there is only the good, the bad and the ugly. The community as a whole only contains a handful of good players. M2K, DSF, and other regular top finishers in major and even smaller tournaments make this cut because of their consistency and obvious talent. Players like myself finish well but are not consistent and not an attendant of many major tournaments. Those of us in smaller communities, those of us who do well amongst our friends, those of us who almost win and almost make an impact are the “Bad”. Yes this is true. It is most likely YOU are not a good player and the GOOD players know this. I am not a good player, not yet. Then there are those of us who like to think they are good, and find fault in their own mistakes when experiencing a loss instead of attributing it to the obvious higher level of skill then themselves, these are the “Ugly”. Those are the individuals who do not think they are “Bad” and are those who John, examples “If only I (insert John) I would’ve won” that the equivalent to saying “If was a better player I would have won”, its ridiculous. And don’t forget the “You didn’t kill me, I killed myself” Well that’s just saying a lot about your “supposed” skill isn’t it? The “Ugly” also have another nickname already made famous; ‘Scrub”.

“Bad” players are capable of becoming “Good” players. The “Ugly” players, sadly, do not have a light at the end of tunnel, unless they change their Scrubby ways. The distinction between “Bad” players and “Ugly” players is simple. “Bad” players are Naïve, falling for mind games, not analyzing “Heaven, Earth, and everything in between”. Yet they are willing to learn and willing to take criticism not as a personal attack or player degradation but an opportunity to better themselves. “Bad” players have in them every ounce of potential needed to become a “Good” player they must merely work to achieve it.

“Ugly” players on the other hand are ignorant and take far too much pride into the game. They take a loss as a personal reflection on themselves and cannot handle the shot to their pride and then continue on the path many of us have seen; Johning. These individuals are stubborn and refuse defeat. Refusing defeat as a possibility is denying yourself the most crucial of stepping ladders to becoming a “Good” player. These individuals are also the ones who seem to take FAR TOO MUCH pride in winning 1 out of 5 matches, and neglecting the fact that they had been losing the previous four matches. They refuse that they have been losing day after day. Once they win they extend the moment further than it should be allowed. They also take these not too often occurring wins as them reaching a certain “standard” a standard that implies that they are “Good” and they have no quam with convincing themselves of it. They also may be knowledgeable, reading, practicing of AT’S and such but they do so only to convince themselves even further how “Good” they are. They love knowing the terminology just for the sake of regurgitation. And again, the attribute a loss to everything but the resounding one, THE OTHER PLAYER WAS BETTER THAN YOU.

“Bad” players learn and practices, techs, and AT’S because they know it is crucial to know. But also know that AT’S are but only another puzzle piece in the entire picture. Knowing terminology and AT’S does not convince them of anything, but only that the game they are attempting to be “Good” at requires a lot of them.

So now again I ask myself what kind of player am I?

I am a bad player. One who has yet to “ascend” to the level I know I can ascend too. I may become frustrated; loss after loss but it is only a loss and not a predetermined perspective as to the kind of player I will always be. I will utilize others, whether their skill is higher or lower than my own, so that I can attain the skill necessary for me to able to say that yes indeed, I am a good player.

Can you honestly answer what kind of player you are?​

What does the bolded mean?
That each loss is taken as a personal loss? or perhaps that the losing makes them a less worthy being?
Please claify.

On the note.
I can say that I am a good player. However, I tend to complain about my mistakes, even if I am winning. But I believe if I am going to be good at something then I will put nothing less then the best. So a mistake is to be searched, analyzed and fixed.
I can take a loss, and if I lose it is because I didn't have enough skill to beat the other person. I am fine with being second or even fourth, I will just get better.​

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I often say "I would've won if I knew how to play smash brothers" or some other equally self detrimental excuse. Does that make me a member of the ugly?

Of course, I say it in jest, but...

Personally I think the spectrum is more like Good, OK, Bad, and Ugly. Good being as you said, OK being most (serious) tournament goers, Bad being inexperienced people who have the will to learn and possiblity don't have very many venues to play in, and Ugly being as you said.

I'm solidly Bad either way.

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
If you lose, your worth as a player is not touched, your skill is not dampened. People who go out of their way to state complaints (whether winning or not) for others to hear in a very condescending tone, mocking tone, or compensating tone (again depending if your complaining whilst ahead or behind) are the Ugly players. Of course you should learn from mistakes, but you need not say them to imply something. If you want to learn from your mistakes designate a time and place for it.

And when I say they take far too much pride in the game. I mean each loss is consistently followed up by a complaint coupled with a certain tone. And I know you know what I am talking about.

If you know your mistakes then bring them to the table as you have said to be searched analyzed and fixed not a statement of implication towards frustration.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
I could point out that no Ugly player due to the nature of an Ugly player will ever seriously admit to being an ugly player.

And what about someone who considers themselves a really bad player? Is that a new category. I mean I outright suck at this game and know it, I'm getting better very fast but I'm not even anywhere near some of the other players who'd be classified as a bad player trying to become good. : D

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'm epic.
/jk

No, I'm probably a bad player, but could become good if I focused on a smaller group of characters, instead of maining half the roster XD.
I play better in teams, or matches other than 1 vs 1.

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
I could point out that no Ugly player due to the nature of an Ugly player will ever seriously admit to being an ugly player.

And what about someone who considers themselves a really bad player? Is that a new category. I mean I outright suck at this game and know it, I'm getting better very fast but I'm not even anywhere near some of the other players who'd be classified as a bad player trying to become good. : D

The top I agree with. It is the defining aspect of an Ugly player.

The rest:We can state many shades of gaming prowess, I do not dismiss there being players in between but for the sake of declaration it is more logical to reduce the amount of groups, otherwise you have people saying they are a level below pro, well what does that mean exactly?

I described these three because the distinction between them are greater than for example a "decent" player and a "Ok" player. To me I do not see a difference. The three stated are distinguishable.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
I would personally say I'm a "bad" player. I'm willing to learn, but make mistakes a lot......

I play people who refuse to believe MK is better than everyone else. Are they "ugly" or just 'bad"?

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
Im a "bad player" on my way to becoming a great player...

I find myself finding new ways to improve my mistakes... come up with new mind games... figuring out more pieces to the puzzle till i am recognized.... Every day I learn something new and find myself getting better every match... But there is still so much more practice needed to be done before i can honestly call myself a "good player"...

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
Hm... I don't necessarily agree with you about the "Ugly" player aspect... some people lose at times because of matchups, this is not an excuse but a fact.

Certain levels, Certain pairings, certain aspects of the game can keep you from winning. People have other things to prove rather than "I can beat another player" when playing the game. If it all boiled down to winning or losing defining the kind of player you were at tournaments, then everyone would play only 3 or 4 characters.

The point of the matter is, even though feeling good about winning is nothing to be ashamed of.. the reason you play your character is more important overall. Do you associate with your character? Do you run out for the spike? Do you attempt things that haven't been done before? Do you play it safe? Do you put that mario against that Metaknight, or do you switch to a Snake when you face a ROB?

To discover something new inside a match, to wow people or show them something they have never seen before, to dare or believe... these are things that go beyond the "I am better than you concept" ...Everyone has their own purpose for playing, to associate or divide into groupings is an attempt to understand or generalize people in too simple a manner.

Ange

Smash Lord
I would probably be a "bad" player. Ive never been a REAL serious smasher, as I played Melee like.. I dont know, a "normal" game? Didnt know about ATs and such (Tho I probably found some without me knowing it, but I didnt know about the whole competitive scene by then, until a friend one day talked about wavedashing with me.)
I dont even really know if Im bad or not, I do mistakes pretty often and my match control is kindoff unstable. :/ But Im willing on becoming better.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
This fits me. So where does this fall in the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (your response didn't seem to answer this, unless I've gone blind and I missed it)?

Anyway, since ugly players never admit to being ugly, I guess that leaves me to place myself in the bad category, although I seriously think that's giving me too much credit.

Then again, I've heard a few times that I don't give myself enough credit... :dizzy:

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
Its all about being honest with yourself and not me.

If you need to state something, and give your self description conditions, if you cannot merely say what kind of player you are, then maybe, just maybe you need to find a skill level where you are comfortable with yourself.

In other words, I can also contest the definitions I made in the thread, but I placed myself somewhere, and that was being a bad player. I know there are many discrepancies in and out of those definitions and such but I ignore them in order to get over it and become better.

And as far as "certain pairings" such as counter picking does not say absolutely who will win. Now it may be more difficult maybe even extremely difficult to win a match if your opponent has counterpicked stage and character, but thats just asking more of you skill in order to win.

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
But what exactly is it you get out of comparing yourself to other people? You are attempting to self reflect by letting other people set the standards.

You say that you are being honest with yourself, but then you base your definitions on other people's actions...

I think that the best way that you could become better at this point, is to not view it like a chore.

PillowPants

Smash Apprentice
Yea i think im pritty bad, but im cocky and nvr admit it to my group of smashers (tho i AM better then them jus not tourney ready )

OMG! i no so many "ugly" ppl!

Top Bottom