• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the grab in fox vs peach

loci

Smash Rookie
it seems most foxes grab a good amount against peach

is mango's approach in his pound 4 friendlies against armada (mostly just aerials, shine, and shield pressure), in which he rarely goes for grab, a better way to play against peach?

or is the optimal way to play somewhere between the conventional way fox plays against peach nowadays and the way mango's doing it?

example on Yoshi's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6uV1241wo

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Hit and run + lasering is the usual tactic ( for me anyway ). Grabbing isn't that useful against a good peach these days because the can just smash di you u-air. Mango's approach against armada was insane lol, I'm not sure how many fox's can actually do that against armada.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i usually dont grab much vs. super good peachs cuz i'm scared they'll nair me before or during my uair (they sdi the first hit and nair me out of it)

but usually its fine

BrianTheLion

Smash Journeyman
i usually dont grab much vs. super good peachs cuz i'm scared they'll nair me before or during my uair (they sdi the first hit and nair me out of it)

but usually its fine
theres a certain percent where they cant do **** about the Uair but at higher percents ppl make the mistake of trying to Uair them and get Naired

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
To make your decision, you need to first understand why you'd want to be grabbing in the match-up. A few points you need to consider:

-Peach is in her shield for a considerable amount of time in this match-up. She can't risk getting hit by dairs, or miss CCs on nairs. Both aerials lead to devastating follow-ups on hit if the Peach doesn't react in some kind of way. Shielding is a good option for Peach because her nair is quite fast and works defensively oos.

-Uthrow Uair does not combo at any percent on Peach. However, I'm sure you know that because of the horrendous speed on her double jump, she is almost helpless once thrown in the air. Her only move that hits below her (besides strangely angled bairs) is dair. But we all know what will happen if Peach decides to take that path and combat your uair with her dair. Bottom line is, even though uair isn't 100% guaranteed ever - it still works alot of the time because she can't really avoid it.

-Peach is floaty and dies early on many of the low ceiling levels.

-Peach has the option of relying on crouch cancels to secure some good damage against Fox. Watching for blatant crouches and other CC baits can lead to free grabs.

etc.

The overall utility of the grab in this MU is too great to be ignored in IMO. If not for uairs, than for fthrows to pressure the Peach to the edge. The simple fact Peaches like to shield should be enough for most Fox players to want to throw it out. Also, it should be noted that if you know which direction Peach will double jump, you can fullhop early bair and beat some of her aerials as you are rising.

Grab = Damage. Try to judge when best to use it, and take true advantage of your position below her.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Grab = Damage. Try to judge when best to use it, and take true advantage of your position below her.
D:

. . .

So, if we were to try an Uthrow Uair, we'd basically be relying on luck, position of the hitbox(s), speed of Self, speed of Peach, and percent. Considering it's not guaranteed... right?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You could say that. Her options are all extremely limited when she's above you anyways. If you wait for a split second in anticipation of the jump you can almost always land the uair. What move does she have that can out-prioritize you coming from above? :laugh:

Top Bottom