• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Green Cyclone

Myle

Smash Rookie
The Luigi cyclone (down b) is one of his best moves he has and creates some really interesting matchups that his opponents have to deal with.

Dr. Mario and Samus for example can have their projectiles clanked through with a down b and when the missile gets clanked Luigi slides with very fast speed toward the opponent and they can't react to it as fast as you can and it gives you the chance to get a quick grab or dsmash. Against Doc, cyclone is one of the only ways to get through the wall of pills on FD and almost always lead to a dsmash or grab for you.

Marth a more relevant character in the metagame luigi has the ability to clank his fsmash, and tilts with a cyclone. cyclone being able to clank with a marth fsmash can lead to a shoryuken which is a solid kill option. Luigi is close enough to be in distance of the fsmash with the speed cancelled from down b puts you right in front of marth for the up b, or any other punish you have.

The cyclone can clank with fox upsmash, which you can punish out of with dsmash and hopefully combo 50% out of on him. Cyclone clanks with falcos fsmash and grabbing is a good option out of that.

Down b coming back from the ledge is a good mixup and can stuff a grab, or attack coming your way, if it hits them you can combo the weaker part of down b into the strong hit, if it clanks with an attack get the punish.

Let me know if you know any other good applications for the cyclone, and experiment with the above and see if it helps.

Last edited:

WeegUK

Smash Rookie
My first thought while reading this post is that our down b would have to be thrown out as a read to Marth f smash, fox up smash ect, which now means that if the opponent catches on to this all they have to do is bait it out and punish the silly amount of end lag down b has.

Surely this can't be done consistently against fox either as he can do jab/shine/drill reset into upsmash anyway?

F-ric

Smash Cadet
If you press down B in the air you immediately fall so you can double jump and right after down b to mix up your vertical momentum.

säpo.

Smash Apprentice
Usually if you sense that the Marth will f-smash you it's better to just shield then wd.

Another application is tech chasing.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
Pretty interesting options to use Cyclone. Never really thought to use it to clank with certain moves.
I generally use Cyclone as either a tech chase or a landing mixup.

Tamagoth3

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
TAMA#536
I like using Down+B as an offensive option, usually by hitting it in the air and holding towards my enemy to sorta slide at em and hit them with the 2nd hit. It's a good way to pressure them and a lot of people I've found on Slippi don't have a consistent counter for it.

Top Bottom