• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
dont worry marik i had never tried a metroid game either up until a couple months ago when a friend of mine insisted that i try super metroid

im only like an hour into the game but its pretty awesome

Gichan

Smash Champion
that's a good way to put it Lanowen. Funny how you mention the secrets thing cause that's what my girlfriend totally despised of the Prime series.

After playing super I do see what she means of how blatant the power ups and secrets are but, as you stated, it is a different experience. I still find that exploration is superb in both types of games.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
ceX how come you say it got better as the series went on, I'm curious.
They just fixed problems with the previous installments as they went on. In 1 you had to go on an annoying and ****ing long fetch quest at the end to get the artifacts and backtrack numerous times across the entire world, and you couldn't even try to obtain the artifacts as you progressed through the game until you were actually told to. In 2 you could at least collect them along the way, and in 3 not only could you collect them along the way, but you had some choice in how to use them and each one unlocked new areas as you progressed.

2 Was far more challenging than 1, and although 3 isn't as hard as 2, when you unlock hypermode difficulty it becomes just as challenging.

I feel like the music got better as they progressed too but that's subjective.

Although the puzzles were never particularly hard, they were more interesting in 2 than 1 just because the parallel world added an extra facet to them, and in 3 the game in general just had a lot more tools to work with. Which is another point; 1 and 2 are pretty similar in scale but 3 is a much much bigger game and just more satisfying to complete.

I do feel like more work was put into the environments in 1 than the other two though.

Oh and I don't knw which game's title screen it was but that was the best ****ing song in the metroid prime series, it's also in brawl on frigate orpheon.
It's from the first one and yes it is amazing.

Gichan

Smash Champion
LOLOL, forgot about that entirely, goes to a melee player to add insult to injury.

Awesome Metroid discusson but I'll add another topic.

I beat Castlevania for NES like two days ago and man was that ****ing hard. It took me like a week and a half to beat. Seriously, medusa heads?! FUUUCCK. the hardest part of that game goes to that ****ing dreadful path before fighting the Grim Reaper, who is the HARDEST boss of the game. Regardless, for an NES game it's ****ing great and I loved it. Decent controls for an 8-bit, relatively smooth. Cept jumping is stiff as **** so you gotta calculate well.

Going to skip Simon's Quest since AVGN makes it look balls. And Castlevania 3 just looks way too hard for me. Super Castlevania it is lool

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Super Castlevania is just a remake of Castlevania. Still worth playing though.

Also there's an exploitable safe zone in the Grim Reaper fight where he can't hit you :p. Castlevania series in general is just godlike...I think I might speedrun Order of Ecclessia while I'm off for the holidays...

Gichan

Smash Champion
damn I saw Michelle play Order of Ecclessia and that is a legit game. Michelle loves the Castlevania series she's the one who got me to play it. Also watching the AVGN Castlevania edition made me want to.

Yeah this series is pretty ****ing beast I gotta check out the other games after 4, sucks that it is a remake though.

ceX you played the second and third ones?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I have only barely touched the second one when I was a kid and don't remember anything about it except that Bloody Tears is the best damn BGM of that era. Have not played 3. It's kinda funny I guess; I really really love the Castlevania games that I do play, but I've only played a select few of them.

-Culex

Smash Apprentice
Super Metroid-Metroid Fusion-Metroid Prime-Metroid Zero Mission.

Symphony Of The Night, I've played almost all the Castlevanias minus the phone and the newest arcade version (I've played Haunted Castle). Symphony Of The Night is best one IMO and BEST 2-d game of all time, I can't think of any other 2-D as great at the moment. DOS, Cas IV and LOI (Because I loved the music and cutscenes) are up there too, However SOTN ***** all. New Castlevania is the only one I had a struggle playing because everything has been done already, and the ending makes me even more furious george. I only finished it cause it's a Castlevania, and I am a huge fan of the sexy series. Also Judgement sucked ***, It was fun the for 5 mins .

SOTN-DOS-IV/LOI/COTM-the rest-New Castlevania-hairy balls in my face-sh*t on my d*ck-Castlevania Judgement

-Culex

Cruxis

Smash Lord
Both for GBA (@Gi)

also imo:
Super > Zero Mission > MP3 > MP2 > Fusion > MP1 > Metroid 2 > Metroid > HIV-infected needles > Other M.

and yes, after playing all of the Primes again, I honestly do believe they got better as they went.
what? you think Prime 3 and 2 were better than 1? No way for me man, Prime 2's dark world was really so bland and boring... i loved prime 2 dont get me wrong but its my least favorite of the primes, i hated how you took damage walking around in the dark world and had to sit in light zones for over 9000 minutes trying to recover your life. prime 1 was just.. beautiful man. i have replayed it over 9000 times and i love it every time. i found it amazing how they transitioned to 3D and yet it still felt like super to me.

prime 3 i loved it but it was obvious nintendo was trying to bring in the casual crowd because there was so little exploration, you were always told what to do and where to go. i find the whole point of the metroid series is that feeling of isolation you get while exploring, and all the stuff you encounter along the way, and opening new pathways to move on. when i was younger i HATED scanning in the primes but now i find it actually interesting, i find myself scanning random things just for the hell of it, i think its cool.

my personal opinion:

Super > MP1 > ZM > MP3 > Fusion > MP2 > Other M > Metroid 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NES Metroid

god i cannot stand NES Metroid it was awful IMO, i found that game effing impossible to make it far without the cheat codes.

Metroid 2 i actually have the game itself on gameboy, it was weird definitely, it was fun yeah but it wasnt too great really, i guess i just really hate the lack of a map in a game. if they were to remake metroid 2 ZM style id love it for sure.

i know other m gets a lot of hate and i definitely am not a fan of the cutscenes, or of how samus went from a badass assassin to a little bitch who has a monologue about everything and is obsessed with her former captain. it was so effing stupid when i was in the lava zone and like half way in adams like LOL I KNOW UR BURNING AND STUFF BUT U CAN USE UR VARIA NOW wtf samus why do u need his permission god.

otherwise though, honestly i find the gameplay engaging, i find myself getting lost much more often than i did in the other metroids, and i find it to be pretty creepy at times, i get a good feeling of isolation from it. definitely not as much as i did from super though, oh man super used to scare the **** out of me as a kid.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Damn, I was just thinking of trying out Other M today for the sake of it being metroid. I might consider it after your post pharaoh.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
How is the gameplay of Other M engaging? About an hour into the game I realized the dodge system was extremely exploitable, and I never got hit once for the rest of the game with the few exceptions of needing to fire missiles or other special events like the very end.... disappointing waste of time :/

The best moment for creepiness in the entire Metroid franchise still has to go to the first encounter with Metroids in Prime 3, when you're
going through that laboratory with all of the metroids encased in energy fields and a big "oh ****" hits you when you realize you have to disable the power to the containment fields in order to get the powerup you need.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
lol at the Metorid discussion. Everyone likes what they like. Gi, personally I think you should try Metroid other M for your own good instead of just going for it because of someone Else's opinion. If someone says its ****, you should still try it out is basically what I'm saying, of course this is also just my opinion lol.

In any case, gonna drop my Metroid list just for fun :cool:

Hunters (Multi player mode alone, and I will take MM's in it, maybe :p) > Prime 2 > Prime > Prime 3 > Zero Mission > Fusion > Other M > Super M > Pinball > Metroid 2 > NES

btw, I like every Metroid game, except maybe the NES one.

Merry X-mas brawlers
Merry Christmas to everyone :bee:

Wishin all you Zimbabwe users out there a Happy (belated) Unity Day :)
Whats your connection to Zimbabwe? Are you from there or something or do you just like it for some reason (and why)?

Cruxis

Smash Lord
How is the gameplay of Other M engaging? About an hour into the game I realized the dodge system was extremely exploitable, and I never got hit once for the rest of the game with the few exceptions of needing to fire missiles or other special events like the very end.... disappointing waste of time :/

The best moment for creepiness in the entire Metroid franchise still has to go to the first encounter with Metroids in Prime 3, when you're
going through that laboratory with all of the metroids encased in energy fields and a big "oh ****" hits you when you realize you have to disable the power to the containment fields in order to get the powerup you need.
to be fair i havent beaten the game yet im only about half way done, but i find the combat fun, yeah i find the dodging exploitable but i find it cool how they threw jumping onto enemies, and lethal strikes into the mix, and timing dodges can be pretty tricky when you are being bombarded.

and the creepiest moment for me would have to be just fucking discovering maridia for the first time in Super. i remember being lost for ages (this was back before i used the interwebz when i got lost) and then i just randomly super bombed that tube area for the lulz and it cracked open and led to maridia, and then that creepyass music played in this totally new underwater area, yeah man creepy.

metroid is a series where you really got be alone, and turn off all the lights around you to get the full effect

.decoy

Smash Ace
lol at the Metorid discussion. Everyone likes what they like. Gi, personally I think you should try Metroid other M for your own good instead of just going for it because of someone Else's opinion. If someone says its ****, you should still try it out is basically what I'm saying, of course this is also just my opinion lol.
right..except not, since you dont have time to try everything lol
which is why people take recommendations

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'd like Hunters as my favourite Metroid of all time if my L button weren't only working when it feels like it.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
to be fair i havent beaten the game yet im only about half way done, but i find the combat fun, yeah i find the dodging exploitable but i find it cool how they threw jumping onto enemies, and lethal strikes into the mix, and timing dodges can be pretty tricky when you are being bombarded.
I didn't want to explain exactly how the dodging system was exploitable to perhaps save ruining whatever experience the game still offers for people, but
don't move during fights - or rather don't hold any direction on the d-pad - just rapidly tap any direction on the d-pad and you will ALWAYS dodge when you are about to get hit. You will never be hit once with the possible exception of Nightmare-X's sweeping attacks which you have to dodge in the proper direction, but still don't need to time anything. So no, timing dodges is never tricky.

I'd like Hunters as my favourite Metroid of all time if my L button weren't only working when it feels like it.
****ing tell me about it. Between my brother and I we own a GBA, a GBA-SP, a DS, two DS-Lites, a DSi, and a GB Micro. Only the GB Micro still has a functioning L button - all of the others broke within the first year of use, and all of them were purchased new.

Percon

Smash Lord
Merry Christmas

Also the creepiest part of Metroid was in Fusion when you're fighting nightmare and his face starts bleeding. I was really happy when I got to fight him in Other M

Gichan

Smash Champion
I never got to play too many games on the SNES but damn I gotta say it is pretty ****ing epic.

in my hardest attempt to be unbiased my list goes

SNES>PS2 (barely beaten by SNES though)>360>NES>PS1>N64>DS>Gameboy>GC>Genesis>Wii

These are just the systems I have dealt with personally and it's really hard to determine actually. Obviously subjective.

I had a hard time ranking the DS though. That system is actually ****ing great, like really, it is the SNES of the portable world and it will be difficult for 3DS to top it. The library is just so massive, but unlike the Wii it actually consists of quality games. The stylus also was a great addition to gameplay which I was so cynical about at first but realized quickly how good it actually is.

360 may seem too high but really it's actually a great system to. Yes the library contains an abundance of fps but microsoft really stepped up online gaming for consoles. The graphics presented on the 360 were also superb, obviously topped by PS3 but 360 came out first. The system also contains great titles like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect that changed the rpg experience for many. A lot of us got too use to the jrpg genre but we were opened to a new style that can be much more engaging at times.

I should give the Genesis more credit I assume but the thing is, the SNES just ruined it. Pretty much anything on Genesis was on SNES but better with the exception of Sonic games and I think Comix Zone.

NOTE THAT I did not add PC because I do not play online and I completely understand that it pretty much did anything I mentioned. But I am referring to console gaming.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
nah man n64 had pure beauties like OOT, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, SSB, Banjo kazooie + Tooie, Mario 64 and much more

Here Rests A Cemetery

Banned via Administration
Marik, I'm not sure if you realize it, but that picture is insulting the n64 and essentially blaming it for the downfall of nintendo.

Just sayin'.
What makes you think that?

How could somebody not completely ignorant classify the N64 marking the downfall of Nintendo?

Hype

Smash Lord
"You know why it's called the XBOX360, because when you see it you get up, turn 360 degrees around, and walk away"

- Someone's facebook status

Top Bottom