• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
i got my 360 back from my sisters bf,i wanna get into a fighting game mebee...anyone have any recommendations(id prefer something i could play with you guys haha)? i dont wanna buy a stick though cause im poor lmao

Gichan

Smash Champion
I like street fighter 4 more than Marvel but you already got my recommendation and I think that will be more fitting for you.

Yo Dirt, who did you use at CoT5?

SRTM

Smash Ace
i got my 360 back from my sisters bf,i wanna get into a fighting game mebee...anyone have any recommendations(id prefer something i could play with you guys haha)? i dont wanna buy a stick though cause im poor lmao
aww 360 :(
get into marvel 3 and ssf4:ae
get a stick so you can be pro

Cyan_

Smash Lord
the only choices are ssf4 and mvc3

both are popular

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
MK9 is honestly easier on pad than stick....can't really say how the game's popularity will hold though.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually didn't use PT in a single tourney match. The Ganon ditto was the only one where I didn't go D3. Also got fed up with stacked doubles pools and went MK when I stopped caring.

Anyways, so I just got cut out of my own Fido account by the other account holder, and can do nothing to get back control of the account despite still being the primary account holder. Going down to file charges.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
@ WC Canada & USA: Take yo beef back to the WC threads lol.

@ Olimar vs Toon Link: I'll tell you if you ask me in private.

:)

Also, I have a request: Since I want to add more brawl tournament matches to my YT page, if anyone has any replays they want uploaded then please send them to me (obamabinladen@live.ca) with a brief description/who's playing in it.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=293136

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
What in the world? People still play brawl?
In hindsight, I had a great time with the community, but I wish I never touched that game. Terrible terrible game... Do yourselves a favor and play a real competitive game... Take it from someone who's been in this scene much longer than you.

I hate to be negative, but if I save even one person from that terrible game, I will feel like this post is infinitely positive.

Patches

Smash Master
What in the world? People still play brawl?
In hindsight, I had a great time with the community, but I wish I never touched that game. Terrible terrible game... Do yourselves a favor and play a real competitive game... Take it from someone who's been in this scene much longer than you.

I hate to be negative, but if I save even one person from that terrible game, I will feel like this post is infinitely positive.
Tbh. I think Apex may be my last tournament. Ill still be active in the scene, I just don't if ill play. I ****ing love the people I've met. But it may be time to call it quiits. Two years is long enough.

Iliad

Smash Lord
I really don't get why people rage so hard about this game being a 'terrible' game. Either you enjoy it, or you don't. Plain and simple. Coming in here and demanding we play a 'real' competitive game is asinine and to be more lamen, ****ing ********.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I really don't get why people rage so hard about this game being a 'terrible' game. Either you enjoy it, or you don't. Plain and simple. Coming in here and demanding we play a 'real' competitive game is asinine and to be more lamen, ****ing ********.
It comes down to game design and competitive playability. There are games which are designed around competitive play, and there are those which are not, which do you think will be a more rewarding and enjoyable competitive experience?

I am not demanding anything, I said " do yourself a favour" because I truly believe you would be doing so, you don't have to listen to me, this is just the point of view of someone who's played many competitive games for a long time, and has reflected upon those experiences.

Alphy and you can surely relate with why I currently put my energy into SC2, and how brawl makes me sick in comparison...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well yeah, Starcraft is just an amazing game in general, but I have completely dropped it and have not played SC2 at all despite owning it. That game is the definition of a competitive game, and tbh, there is no way I'd ever be able to become a "good" player. Brawl doesn't have a whole country dedicated to discovering the best possible builds and tactics, rather we have to save money for awhile and travel stupidly far sometimes just to learn something. Brawl also rewards being a smarter player more than starcraft. That may seem rather ridiculous to say considering it's an RTS vs fighting game, but being good at SC has so much focus on being able to macro at a very consistent rate to the point where if you can out macro your opponent a significant amount, you're probably miles better than him. If you look at Flash, that's basically what he does. The same build, perfect defense and macros like a beast. His strategy isn't THAT good... Like sometimes he busts out really smart play, but for the most part it's the same old with amazing macro and micro.

To me I find both competitive. But yes, becoming good at SC is way more rewarding.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Nate, you're talking like you're some 30-something guru of competitive video-games. We've both been playing games for the same amount of time I'd imagine, and I don't ever find myself sick with smash.

SC2 is an entirely different genre, and can't be compared to Brawl in anyway shape or form. Among the fighting games, I honestly don't think Smash has an equal, and I'm dead serious about that. It is probably the most unique in its engine design and mechanics and as such is superior to all these 2d side scrolling fighters where you just beat the guy senseless with rehearsed combos and "super" attacks. Where the only semblance of mindgames is mixing up high attacks and low attacks, and spacing / timing your attacks.

-Googs

Smash Lord
d3...

now THAT'S a game. i prolly spent more time playing d2 then i have playing brawl... people say d2 isnt that compettive but i found it wayyy harder than brawl and way more competetive.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Nate, you're talking like you're some 30-something guru of competitive video-games. We've both been playing games for the same amount of time I'd imagine, and I don't ever find myself sick with smash.

SC2 is an entirely different genre, and can't be compared to Brawl in anyway shape or form. Among the fighting games, I honestly don't think Smash has an equal, and I'm dead serious about that. It is probably the most unique in its engine design and mechanics and as such is superior to all these 2d side scrolling fighters where you just beat the guy senseless with rehearsed combos and "super" attacks. Where the only semblance of mindgames is mixing up high attacks and low attacks, and spacing / timing your attacks.
I've been playing games competitively (going to tournaments, betting money) since the age of 13, so actually, you're sticking your foot in your mouth. (For reference, I was playing 2d fighters)

If you're talking about competitive time clocked into smash, I've also been around way longer than you, so we can say maybe you'll come around on that point of view.... maybe you wont.

The end of your second paragraph shows just how inexperienced you are in the grand scheme of things, and a collective groan has passed through the minds of everyone who read that and knows anything about 2dfighters.

We are not talking about genres, we are talking about "Competitive gaming", any one video game is comparable to any other in this aspect. Notice how I never brought up any game-specific mechanics. Your cop out seems in-genuine.

Come on Jon, stop raging out and think about things from less of a defensive viewpoint.
Play what you enjoy, you don't have to agree with my opinion, but recognize its legitimacy, from someone who's more experienced than you. If you don't see the legitimacy in what I've brought up, then I have a feeling you are just trying to argue with me.

Edit: The more I actually think about it, I could have been even younger when I entered my first SF tournament... its hard to come up with a definite age....

swordgard

Smash Hero
Bored looking for someone to wifi.

Anyone up for that?

If I did have time to pick up LoL id prob be playing that.

Iliad

Smash Lord
I've been playing and competing in leagues like OGL and CAL since I was 12-13 nate. So my foot is located squarely on the ground.

And you're damn right I'm being defensive. You're saying that I'm playing a trash game competitive wise. Which if was true, we wouldn't have any tournaments for it whatsoever. Plain and simple. And as for someone who's played those 2d fighters, groan all you ****ing want nate. It's true. Prove me wrong.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
To which games do those leagues reference? I am assuming oldschool fps? Cs, quake?

Hey man, I played it too, and probably would still show up to tournaments the odd time if I was still in the neighborhood (Ambrose style), but let's be real here. Brawl is broken from the ground up, hell I made lots of money exploiting that, and so does every top player (MK) in each region...
Defense overthrows offense in a big way, in most cases the best option is the least offensive maneuver. Its this game of constant baiting and defensive play, in which initiative taking play only really works when mixed in with such heavy defense that it is only then unpredictable.
Having tournaments for something doesn't make it good, it just means people play your game, and with a major representative of almost every Nintendo franchise..... yeah you might have enough people play your game that there are tournaments...

Prove you wrong? What is there to prove? You can oversimplify any game and make it sound stupid, that doesn't mean its so. "Durr hurr FPS games are all about shooting the other guys! So shallow! Prove me wrong!!!"
You sound childish as hell.

Joe: Now that is a great question, the problem is is that the topic is so great and deep, I would need to respond to you in essay format in order to do my thoughts justice. I feel like I will do a serious writeup on such a thing one of these days, as its something I think about quite often.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Saying something is defensive doesn't mean it's inherently bad, only that it's defensive. While I agree that Starcraft 2 is better as a competitive game (mostly due to the fact that casual spectators can enjoy it), that doesn't infringe upon the viability of other games. Why play Halo, SF4, MvC3, LoL, HoN, DotA, or even SC2 when we still have Brood War?

Want to know what happened when our top 2 went to CoT? They lost to DK, Toon Link, and Game & Watch.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Saying something is defensive doesn't mean it's inherently bad, only that it's defensive. While I agree that Starcraft 2 is better as a competitive game (mostly due to the fact that casual spectators can enjoy it), that doesn't infringe upon the viability of other games. Why play Halo, SF4, MvC3, LoL, HoN, DotA, or even SC2 when we still have Brood War?

Want to know what happened when our top 2 went to CoT? They lost to DK, Toon Link, and Game & Watch.
When defense overpowers offense you have a degeneration of initiative/risk taking, where you at higher levels make less and less choices that have any form of risk. In many other games high risk/high reward play exists, in brawl it doesn't. This is something I would sum up as being a problem in any competitive game, risks must be rewarded over reactive play if only by a little.
Brawls viability is a problem in itself regardless of what other competitive game you compare it to.

What in the world does your second point mean at all? The main reason our top players have lost when playing in major tournaments throughout history is the lack of experience going to those major tournaments. It even slowed Ally down at first, until he became used to the skill level/atmosphere, characters have little to do with it.
Trust me, I've been there and done that, and I bet the current players doing so would agree.

swordgard

Smash Hero
When defense overpowers offense you have a degeneration of initiative/risk taking, where you at higher levels make less and less choices that have any form of risk. In many other games high risk/high reward play exists, in brawl it doesn't. This is something I would sum up as being a problem in any competitive game, risks must be rewarded over reactive play if only by a little.
Brawls viability is a problem in itself regardless of what other competitive game you compare it to.

What in the world does your second point mean at all? The main reason our top players have lost when playing in major tournaments throughout history is the lack of experience going to those major tournaments. It even slowed Ally down at first, until he became used to the skill level/atmosphere, characters have little to do with it.
Trust me, I've been there and done that, and I bet the current players doing so would agree.
Around here, we call that being free. : D

Seriously nobody wants to wifi? How boring.

Top Bottom