• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Guide to Comboes/Techniques Named After People

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I have created this thread to compile all comboes named after Specific Players. Feel free to submit any Comboes, but try to be specific in how to perform them. You don't have to format it.

Comboes:

The Ken Combo - Any variation of a combination of Forward Airs, ending with a Down Air, Usually performed by Marth.

The Forward Combo - Up throw -> Forward smash as Falco.

The Darkrain Combo (most well known) - Up Throw into Down Tilt into Up Throw into Down tilt into Neutral Air into Forward Air as Captain Falcon.

Tapion Combo - Down Air comboed into Falcon Punch as Captain Falcon.

The Clod Zero - Uair comboed into Dair as Captain Falcon.

The Bombsoldier Combo - Any Combo ending with a Down B into Up B as Falco.

The Mango Combo - Jab into Down B/Down tilt as Jigglypuff, usually on an opponent who missed a tech.

Shiz Combo - Short hop Neutral B to Up Smash Into full hop double Neutral B into Usmash as Falco.

The Wretched Combo - Any combo ending in death performed after an escape from a grab. (I expect to see more of this <3)

Wobbling/The Wobble - Any infinite combo performed by Ice Climbers by keeping the opponent in a grab while jabbing and using nana to keep the character in the grab.

The KeepSpeedN - Using Down B into Back air as Fox or possibly Falco.

King Rest - Reverse Neutral Air into Down B as Jigglypuff.

The Phanna Rest - To ledge cancel any airiel as Jigglypuff into Rest.

The Escad - Using Up Throw into Utilt as fox, particularly on Captain Falcon and Ganondorf.

The Rhett - Near a ledge, using Back Throw into Back Air as Ganondorf.

The Lai-Fire Attack - Dropping a bomb into a Down Air as Young Link.

The Reneblade Dropzone - Performing a Down Throw near an edge, dropping off, and performing a Forward Air on a Shy Guy as Captain Falcon. (ITS A COMBO)

Techniques:

The Mango/D.C. Homeboy Technique - Any series of moves to create sheild pressure, followed by a Forward Smash to punish any reaction.

The Mew2King - Deliberately stopping all movement during the middle of a match.

Planking - To stall on an edge by abusing invincibility frames and hitboxes.

The Hungrybox/Wall of Pain - To perform multiple moves in the air, typically Back Airs with Jigglypuff, in the air to press an opponent back or to create a barrier.

The Germ Grab - The act of grabbing a person from behind you outside of the visual grab range, particularly with Link.

The Forward - To kill yourself by performing a Side B off of the stage with Fox or Falco.

Phannacies - To perform multiple ledge cancelled airiels.

The RockCrock - To perform a wall tech off of the stage into a Forward Air.

The SilentSpectre - To Perform a Moonwalk into a Back Air, grabbing the ledge in the process.

The Isai Drop - To move forward before dropping from a ledge to reduce landing lag.

Echo Slide - To deliberately wait for your dash frames to end and then turn around, particularly as Samus.

Hylian Lowrider - To ledge cancel a missle

The ColBol - To moonwalk as fox

The Adam Brown recovery - To use airiels after your double jump while recovering, particularly with captain falcon using Up Air or Forward Air.

The Daltsy Technique - To reset a grounded opponent who did not tech or recover by using a Neutral B without jumping as Falco.

The DoH - To perform a Down Smash after powershielding as Peach.

The Vman - To perform a "Parry" (to cancel the opposing character's move with the beginning of shield frames as Yoshi) and perform a Neutral Air out of the sheild.

Wes-ing - To perform consecutive Jabs into Sidesteps as Samus.

Scar Jumping - To perform a Wall Jump into a Double Jump into a Forward Air, particularly as Captain Falcon.

The Kage Special - To perform a Down Air on the lower part of a character's sheild, particularly as Ganondorf.

The Chu Dat Special - To tell someone a story as to intimidate them with fear or disgust.

PC edgehog - To walk towards an edge and turn around, sliding onto the edge.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
On what characters is that an actual combo? I'd guess fox, falco, falcon, or the heavys.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Bombsoldier combo: any shine combo ending in shine to firebird.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
The Mango: Sheild Pressure---> Opponent sheild grabs nothing ----> F smash

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Aren't the Mango combo(s) jab > rest and jab > downtilt as Puff

(Referencing the OP in Mango Stuff about Puff)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Shiz Combo: laser to up smash to double laser to up smash -> kill off the top

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I'm removing the mango combo, Aka The D.C. Homeboy because I don't feel it is a combo and because Mango has another combo. Therefore the combo isn't named after a person (and it isn't even a combo).
Moooose, what?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Shiz Combo can be DI'd out of, and has only been done on marth and sheik so far.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Thank you, Chain. I understand that a lot of these comboes can, at some point, be DI'd out of, or the player on the receiving end could at some point make an unpredicted decision. I will put that it is usually performed on Sheik and Marth, though.
Also, I have added a technique section and I have a question. Is the D.C. Homeboy named after a person named homeboy from D.C.? :3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Shiz Combo can be DI'd out of, and has only been done on marth and sheik so far.
I've done the shiz combo to every character in the cast at some point.

I do it to mid weights and floaties ALLLLLLLL the time.

Also every combo in the game can be di'd out of. It's irrelevant to use that as an argument.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Thank you, Chain. I understand that a lot of these comboes can, at some point, be DI'd out of, or the player on the receiving end could at some point make an unpredicted decision. I will put that it is usually performed on Sheik and Marth, though.
Also, I have added a technique section and I have a question. Is the D.C. Homeboy named after a person named homeboy from D.C.? :3
If you list characters for the shiz combo, definitely add Peach too.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
All the below can be consistently performed:

• Mango Rest (jab reset rest) [I think you have this one]
The DaShizWiz I've always seen as ending a combo by KO'ing them with Falco's up-B Nvm that's the Bombsoldier

My main additions:
• Wobbling (ice climber infinite grab hits after Wobbles)
• Planking (edge stalling, named after Plank fka Plarinkk)
• King Rest (jiggs reverse nair to rest)
The RockCrock (jump walltech forward air)
• Zhuicide (side-b suicide as falco or fox)
Phannacies (lots of unecessary edge cancels)
• And more specifically, The Phanna Rest (edge-cancelled aerial into rest as Jigglypuff)
• JV# stocking (not a "move" per se, but certainly a smash event named after JV3x3 - where you end a match with 0% on X stocks so you are said to JV (X+1) stock that person)
• The SilentSpectre (moonwalk backair edgeguard)
Isai Dropping (dropping through a platform faster by starting to move forward before dropping to reduce landing lag)
• HungryBox (wall of pain; bair spam)
• KeepSpeedN (fox shine + back-air in the air). Does Falco's Shine-Backair have a person's name?
The Mew2King (Pausing deliberately during the match)
• Echo Slide (missing your dash-dance and doing the longer turnaround after the Samus player Echo)
• Germ-grabbing (grabbing someone behind you as with Link)
Tree-grabbing (self-proclaimed move by FastLikeTree)
Hylian Lowrider (from the edge as Samus, jumping and firing a missile but still regrabbing the edge)
• The ColBol (moonwalking with fox)

Moves I know but forget the name reference:
• I've heard a fox edge-guard where you wavedash back, fast fall, jump back with a back-air as an edge-guard named after some fox player but I forget who...
• When a person runs off the stage then midairs back with a backair toward the stage, I originally heard this as the Lumbro (retired FL fox), then the Hostess (name of a crew) Probably different names regionally
• not sure if it's named after any players or if it should be, but raging after a match (eg throwing controller). Similar vein are excessive campers
Drill-resting as jigglypuff (I first saw / heard N2K7 popularizing this)
• running toward and beyond your shielding opponent, then forward-smashing back at them
• Does Chu Dat have anything named after him?

Items that probably don't fit as well but I still feel compelled to mention as I brainstorm:
• The PoundSlap (serious posting)
The Windmill of Fury was inspired by Wes I believe
The Rohins (Luigi misfire SD after a jab)
• Nairplane taking off (spamming nairs especially as fox or the links), or HarrietTheGuy's Nair-Per-Minute challenge
• Horenado (Peach down-smash, also called the Mercedes combo [zero to sixty in 3 seconds])
• The Ka-Master (anything good with Luigi)
• The Gimpyfish (anything good with Bowser)
• The Taj (anything good with Mewtwo)
• Nipple spiking (CF true spike)
Wombo Combo
• Johns

Your The Bombsoldier Combo "performed on" has consistently spelled wrong btw.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Thanks a lot, Phanna. I love all of your technique videos.
I added most of your mentioned items to the technique list (I'm happy I added that.)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
forward b suicide as space animals is the Forward, not the Zhuicide.

Why do you think his name is Sean "Forward" B anyways?

Also Arizona calls the running behind someone and fsmashing the Nicknyte. (Players who played in 05/06 called this the Rubyiris but more people knew of Nicknyte in 08/09 and that's when it was popularized in our region, and I'm more well-known for my laser-related suicides.)

Failing a ledgehopped laser and just ff lasering to your death, and doing a full-distance reverse laser and falling to your death (usually on YS) as Falco are called the Rubyiris.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Hark, its "The Nicknyte Special". Ruby Iris is pretty on point tho.

Nytespike is a Ledgehop D-Air with Marth. It was stolen from Kizzu, but was given a name by me. It's a popular name in Arizona, and Louisiana.

P.S. I didn't name search, I was going to post in this thread cause I couldn't resist the title. :D

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
WTF @ the mew2king. cactuar invented that.

mikeg combos - dtilt to nair/fair as peach

zelgadis special - weak nair to shine spike

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Bobackin' - sd on an attempted ledge wavedash.

Hungrybox special- resting a fox/falco side-B

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
people dont know bout the DADS. unfortunately it's not named after him, but it's definitely the macd special.

DADS = dash attack down smash. not a combo, but a general strategy. usually peach, but also whatever character mccain wants to use

i definitely wanna call OOS belay to nana edgehog the FLY lol.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Nobody mentioned the Gimpyfish combo yet? Nobody?

Laem

Smash Champion
lmao i thoroughly enjoyed the Windmill of Fury

btw, isn't the rockcrock combo fox's upB to uair as well?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao my friend from here in SF is gonna popularize a new combo soon... ahhhh its so slick

fox vs ic's or luigi

shine -> illusion -> uair

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
if there's a "The Rohins": as Samus with your opponent on a platform, Samus jumps at the foe and bomb wavelands to platform to follow up (grab, jab, etc)

if there's a "The ÜberIce": with Ice Climbers, having Nana charge a forward-smash while Popo down-throws the foe, but timing it so the smash sends them backwards behind the ice climbers

if there's a "The QueenDVS": it's waiting for your opponent to spot-dodge as marth before grabbing them. Or also just complimenting people way much and being a nice guy.

if there's a "The HugS" it's probably Samus' up-B out of shield or uptilt edgeguard

Which ice climber main popularized the edge chain regrabbing with nana/popo?

lmao my friend from here in SF is gonna popularize a new combo soon... ahhhh its so slick
speaking of new popularizations, I believe my new RockCrock The Crusher II video that I'm working on will show his sick repeatability at using shield-dropping in combos.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
The ACE guard: Tipman spike to dropzone dair as ganon on spacies :)
Hah I was just about to post about the Tipman spike not being in here:

=========

More ideas popping in my head: (maybe this thread should have a "nominated / seconded / disputed / unanimous" tag next to each term based on it's track record in the posts of this thread). And maybe organize the combos / techniques by character if we get enough.

The Tipman: Ganon edge-guarding with the last part of his up-air

The Esam: twitching in real life as you fire Samus' fully charged blast. Or spot-dodge downsmash as Samus.

The ihavespaceballs: wavelanding away from your foe and uptilting as Samus

Not for this thread, but I've talked to people who would argue that SHFFLing should be calle "The Eddie" (old Ganon main)

What would The SmashMac be? In Florida we typically refer to a really good tornado recovery as this, or lots of up-b cancels.

I remember when in FL, "The HungryBox" was getting 3rd at every tournament lol

Edit: what about moves named after real people who don't play smash, like the Pelé Kick

Top Bottom