• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody here support her in places like Miiverse where people in the East can see? She's pretty popular in the west but I think making her more known in Japan is SUPER important. I'm sure people there will love her character design. We should also tell them to try out the games on steam because that's the only way they'll know her games.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys? I'd recommend sending that youtube video about the sound files to RTB or someone else that looks into Smash Bros files and see what they have to say. To be honest, I believe that its indeed fake (we all know Chrom has been deconfirmed by Sakurai and will never come), but it never hurts to get clarification. Maybe someone put in that fake Chrom sound file to mess with us and the rest of the sound files came from the game data? I don't have a twitter, so that is why I am asking for someone else to send it if possible.

Will repost the video here with the sound files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuii6Gc-WTs

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
>Character people want
>Easy to develop as he's most likely a clone of Marth
>Awful custom announcer voice

=

Chrom confirmed for Project M

Does anybody here support her in places like Miiverse where people in the East can see? She's pretty popular in the west but I think making her more known in Japan is SUPER important. I'm sure people there will love her character design. We should also tell them to try out the games on steam because that's the only way they'll know her games.
Shantae has support from Inti Creates, who have worked on Pirate's Curse, and they've also worked on Azure Striker Gunvolt and Mega Man Zero. Also, Ken Sugimori, the current artist for Pokemon, is rather fond of her.

Hey guys? I'd recommend sending that youtube video about the sound files to RTB or someone else that looks into Smash Bros files and see what they have to say. To be honest, I believe that its indeed fake (we all know Chrom has been deconfirmed by Sakurai and will never come), but it never hurts to get clarification. Maybe someone put in that fake Chrom sound file to mess with us and the rest of the sound files came from the game data? I don't have a twitter, so that is why I am asking for someone else to send it if possible.

Will repost the video here with the sound files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuii6Gc-WTs
I'm waiting until somebody trustworthy comes out and says that they're currently datamining and will provide updates. This just came out of the blue and is most likely fake.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
We don't approve indeed ;P

Keep to yer post, or be patient till someone replies, lmao.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
this is so ridiculous to make hate a charakter because she has some sex appeal.
to be honest smash 4 is already a sausage fest and i dont need any male charakters in this game anymore
we need more female representation in smash i dont care which it is but i would still prefer shantae because she is a protagonist and was a nintendo exclusive for a long time so why not?

i think this guy who opend this thread is:
1. afraid of attractive females or
2 gay

nothing to say anymore

This guy actually did come around in the end, which makes him a lot more open-minded and reasonable than 99% of people online. Here is his last response in my conversation chain with him:
I'm sorry, I've been very difficult in this entire post. I never meant for this to become a flaming session, I was just looking for reasons other than design and other irrelevant aspects, for example that she was on The Pokemon Machine GBC. I've played the game and I understand why people want her in.

I'm not a big fan of the whole Metroidvania thing myself, and savepoints. But I'll finish it.
(and here's the full conversation chain for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3firu2/tell_me_why_you_want_shantae_in_the_game/ctp3cur)

Also, I posted a link earlier to a new big ballot poll taking place, and said that I had a couple questions about it that I contacted the creator about. Well, he never got back to me, so I just filled it out. Please everyone do the same, because this looks like a pretty big ballot that could really influence how people vote. Most people prefer to support reasonably (read: top 10) popular candidates, so if we can propel Shantae high up in this vote, it could really enhance her momentum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3ff0gg/worldwide_fighter_ballot_survey_vote_now/

I filled out three slots: "Shantae" from "Shantae", "Shantae" from "Shantae: Risky's Revenge", and "Shantae" from "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse".

Also, just for fun, here's how I would rank the top 10 characters most likely to make it in through the ballot. If anyone is curious about my reasoning I am happy to elaborate about any of these placements:

1. K. Rool
2. Wolf
3. Isaac
4. Shantae
5. Paper Mario
6. Inklings
7. Krystal
8. Bandana Dee
9. Daisy (tie)
9. Snake (tie)

4 through 8 is where all the action is. I think we'll get 4 characters: the top 3 most likely, plus one of those characters in slots 4 through 8.

EDIT: Here's another poll to vote in! Another guy trying to get a big sample size. I don't think it's gonna blow up as much as the other poll, and it also doesn't appear to have controls put in place against vote spamming, but definitely still helps to put in a strong showing. Right now Shantae is doing well. Link: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll377934x783C4ed1-14

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
This guy actually did come around in the end, which makes him a lot more open-minded and reasonable than 99% of people online. Here is his last response in my conversation chain with him:

(and here's the full conversation chain for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3firu2/tell_me_why_you_want_shantae_in_the_game/ctp3cur)

Also, I posted a link earlier to a new big ballot poll taking place, and said that I had a couple questions about it that I contacted the creator about. Well, he never got back to me, so I just filled it out. Please everyone do the same, because this looks like a pretty big ballot that could really influence how people vote. Most people prefer to support reasonably (read: top 10) popular candidates, so if we can propel Shantae high up in this vote, it could really enhance her momentum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3ff0gg/worldwide_fighter_ballot_survey_vote_now/

I filled out three slots: "Shantae" from "Shantae", "Shantae" from "Shantae: Risky's Revenge", and "Shantae" from "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse".

Also, just for fun, here's how I would rank the top 10 characters most likely to make it in through the ballot. If anyone is curious about my reasoning I am happy to elaborate about any of these placements:

1. K. Rool
2. Wolf
3. Isaac
4. Shantae
5. Paper Mario
6. Inklings
7. Krystal
8. Bandana Dee
9. Daisy (tie)
9. Snake (tie)

4 through 8 is where all the action is. I think we'll get 4 characters: the top 3 most likely, plus one of those characters in slots 4 through 8.
Just did what you did lol. Hope this works and helps her out a lot.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I voted for Shantae, Captain Toad, and Cless from Tales of Phantasia (though I know him as Cress XD)

Main one is Shantae tho

She DOES seem to be doing well in the smaller ballot :3

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Just coming in to say I support Shantae wholeheartedly. Her games are pretty amazing and being on smash could certainly get her much more exposure she truly deserves... on top of her character having potential for a badass moveset!
Welcome aboard! :-)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I sometimes go back to read the issues of Nintendo Power covering Risky's Revenge, Shantae and Risky's character design history, and an interview with Matt. They're all great reads.

Also, the fact that there was a cancelled fully 3D Shantae title for the Gamecube, mentioned during Shantae's history, takes up more space in my mind than my school studies.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I sometimes go back to read the issues of Nintendo Power covering Risky's Revenge, Shantae and Risky's character design history, and an interview with Matt. They're all great reads.

Also, the fact that there was a cancelled fully 3D Shantae title for the Gamecube, mentioned during Shantae's history, takes up more space in my mind than my school studies.
Wait, what? There was a Gamecube game for her planned?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, that's unfortunate. Would of helped her out in some way had it been released.
Same with that GBA game.

I personally think that Nintendo Power is a decent reason to put in Shantae, as they absolutely adored Wayforward their games, and has played a huge part in the current fanbase Wayforward has today.

With their constant songs of praise for Wayforward and especially Shantae (Name one other time a DSiWare game got Multi-Issue coverage or an eShop title made the cover), I think those guys would probably appreciate it, considering the magazine's demise thanks to Digital Media.

They also loved BIT.TRIP, so can we also toss Commander Video in there

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Same with that GBA game.

I personally think that Nintendo Power is a decent reason to put in Shantae, as they absolutely adored Wayforward their games, and has played a huge part in the current fanbase Wayforward has today.

With their constant songs of praise for Wayforward and especially Shantae (Name one other time a DSiWare game got Multi-Issue coverage or an eShop title made the cover), I think those guys would probably appreciate it, considering the magazine's demise thanks to Digital Media.

They also loved BIT.TRIP, so can we also toss Commander Video in there
Perhaps we could use that as part of our in-general argument to get Shantae in.
Anyone have scans of the Nintendo Power issues featuring her? We could get that spreading around.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have scans of the Nintendo Power issues featuring her? We could get that spreading around.
This is a good idea we all can spam that front cover and stuff on the internet
.eventually it should reach Japan and hopefully catch sakuarais attention ,possibly increasing her chances

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Wish granted!

Also, here's an article for Mighty Switch Force: Hyperdrive Editon.

(If I correctly remember, Risky's Revenge was covered across 4 issues: 244, 247, 249, and 254. Based on the issues that I own, there is an article on Wayforward's WiiWare title, LIT, in issue 235, and the reveal of Mighty Flip Champs in issue 241. There is an interview with Matt Bozon for the "Power Profiles" section also located in issue 244.)

I don't remember what issue it was in, but in the "Playback" section, where they feature their favorite retro games, they talked about the original Shantae, and showed off some screenshots of the cancelled Shantae Advance. The most memorable part of that article, however, was a picture of Shantae with the caption: "Christina Aguilera knows nothing of my work."

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Just coming in to say I support Shantae wholeheartedly. Her games are pretty amazing and being on smash could certainly get her much more exposure she truly deserves... on top of her character having potential for a badass moveset!
:colorful::starman:Welcome to the Group!:starman::colorful:
And adding you as a new supporter
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Whenever you get the chance please update the support list with these new supporters.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25
Mental Surge
DiagonalSpy07
B.H. and DD
NintendoPowaa
Dani l
Wademan94
Lord Sturm
TheRickyWill
Quarium

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Here is how I'd say I rank characters in the ballot (This is my opinion... so yeah XD)

First Party
1.King K. Rool
2.Krystal
3.Bandana Dee
4.Captain Toad
5.Isaac

Third Party & Indie (I lump these together, as to me, they are technically the same thing. Sure, they are smaller companies, but they are still technically "third party" developers... >_>)
1.Rayman
2.Shantae
3.Shovel Knight
4.Banjo & Kazooie
5.Bomberman

And as a seperate rank up...
Veterans
1.Wolf
2.Snake
3.Ice Climber (Popo???)
4.Ivysaur/Squirtle
5.Young Link

That's just me though. Take this with a grain of salt, as it isn't really even up to par with my actual prediction lineup.. this is more of just what I think is big. The action is going on in the top three in each one in my opinion.

(For those that missed it, here was my prediction:

First Party DLC:
1.King K. Rool
2.Krystal
3.(Undecided. Either Isaac, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee...etc.)

Third Party DLC Character:
1. Rayman

Indie DLC:
1. Shantae or Shovel Knight (I feel like Shantae is gaining more traction in my opinion, but I could be wrong XD))

But yeah... This is all just me tho XD

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Shantae, Shovel Knight, and why you should always respond to the haters

Everyone has their corner of the internet they visit. I frequent the smash bros subreddit because that's where I used to go for news about Smash 4 before it came out, since I could count on anything interesting to show up on the front page there pretty quickly.

Recently on reddit I've noticed a sharp uptick in negativity towards Shantae. This was probably inevitable, given that she has risen to the top tier of popularity. But haters gonna hate, right? Why should we care?

The answer is because these sorts of discussions, and the comments people see when browsing casually, shape the way they think about different ballot characters.

Look at what happened to Shovel Knight, for example. When the ballot was first unveiled, there was a huge amount of Shovel Knight hype, and he was even leading K. Rool in online polls. Now however, he's still popular but his stock has declined steadily. I think the reason for this is that his supporters basically lost the argument online to Shovel Knight detractors. Too many people saw the discussion of Shovel Knight morph into, "he's really cool, but he's too new, only has one game which isn't even Nintendo exclusive, and he has no presence in Japan," and that dictated how people thought of SK as a ballot contender.

I think it's safe to say that Shantae is currently the most talked about and most popular indie character, and one of the most frequently discussed contenders in the ballot overall. However just like with Shovel Knight, the naysayers have come out of the woodwork. If they go unchallenged, then Shantae will become the flavor of the month, and her surge of popularity will ebb.

Shantae has a big advantage that Shovel Knight did not have, however: there are pretty good answers to all of the arguments against her. As long as we are tenacious about making sure those counter-objections are expressed wherever someone tries to dismiss Shantae, the anti-Shantae narrative will fail to gain traction. If the anti-Shantae narrative never gains traction, then her popularity will solidify, her momentum will continue, and her chances of making it in will become greater and greater.

Here is just the latest example of Shantae hate on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3frtlu/shantae_dlc_chances/

Ask yourself what people who don't really know much of anything about Shantae will think reading the comments here. Lots of poorly reasoned but superficially persuasive comments saying Shantae has no chance because she's 3rd party/unknown in Japan, without a lot of disagreement. That's not the narrative you want shaping how people think of Shantae in the ballot.

My comment is down there too, but the relentless stream of Shantae hate is getting exhausting. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time providing detailed rebuttals to anti-Shantae posts on reddit. If you look at my reddit profile, you will see pages and pages of them (I'm SankharaDukkha). In fact I have written so much on the subject I can probably save you the trouble of writing extended responses to any of the most common objections against Shantae. Just take mine and costumize them a little. As my life gets busier in the next few weeks, I will have to be less active, but it's important that pro-Shantae voices always remain a big part of the discussion on reddit and elsewhere.

So I guess what this post boils down to is a call to action. Making sure we answer our critics wherever they show up is an important part of Shantae campaigning, so make your voice heard on forums like reddit or wherever you browse. If people get the impression that Shantae is popular and has a good chance, they will in turn be more likely to support her.

Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonic09Hedgehog
3DS FC
4038-6177-1632
Hello! Did i Missed Something. And if Someone Is Saying About that New Sound Files. Sorry i Say Fake. I'm Sorry but i Swear i Heared The Announcer Say Chrom Already Like This. And That was in a Interview With Mykle Hunter. and Sakurai Already Sayed He Won't Get in or Else he Ends Like a Standard Sword Fighter. and Sakurai Don't Like Those.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who thinks that Commander Video should debut alongside Shantae as Smash Bros's indie reps instead of Shovel Knight? He's already got a trophy.

Out of all the "indie" characters people are voting for (Such as Quote. Cave Story is my favorite game of all time, but I have to admit: the only reason it's popular is because it was originally freeware), Shantae and Commander Video have a pretty lenghty Nintendo legacy, spanning across systems.

Last edited:

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who thinks that Commander Video should debut alongside Shantae as Smash Bros's indie reps instead of Shovel Knight? He's already got a trophy.

Out of all the "indie" characters people are voting for (Such as Quote. Cave Story is my favorite game of all time, but I have to admit: the only reason it's popular is because it was originally freeware), Shantae and Commander Video have a pretty lenghty Nintendo legacy, spanning across systems.
Hmmm, while I do like his games, it would be very hard to come up with an original moveset for him IMO. I mean, he jumps, slides, kicks, uses jump pads and collects stuff to get a raibow cape. he would end up with a lot of punches and kicks to fill the rest in. Also I really cant think of COmmander_Video actully being able to stop running. It would be cool to see other characters from the series be palette swaps tho.

EDIT: Do not take this as hate. It is just my opinion.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Hmmm, while I do like his games, it would be very hard to come up with an original moveset for him IMO. I mean, he jumps, slides, kicks, uses jump pads and collects stuff to get a raibow cape. he would end up with a lot of punches and kicks to fill the rest in. Also I really cant think of COmmander_Video actully being able to stop running. It would be cool to see other characters from the series be palette swaps tho.

EDIT: Do not take this as hate. It is just my opinion.
Pac-Man, Duck Hunt Dog, Villager, ROB, and the Wii Fit Trainer got a moveset. If they can get one, Commander Video can, too.

Commander Video could be like Duck Hunt Dog or Pac-Man, and have his moveset be based on games in the Bit. Trip series.

The original 5 games on the Wii were based on having completely different styles from eachother, and could be pieces for a potential moveset.

RUNNER could just make him a fast character, with the slide being a dash attack, and his rainbow trail being a recovery.

CORE and FATE could be represented as several variations on projectile-based attack, like Mega Man.

VOID could be an attack that sucks in projectiles.

BEAT and FLUX could be reflects.

Gotta keep an open mind for these kinds of things. ;)

Last edited:

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man, Duck Hunt Dog, Villager, ROB, and the Wii Fit Trainer got a moveset. If they can get one, Commander Video can, too.

Commander Video could be like Duck Hunt Dog or Pac-Man, and have his moveset be based on games in the Bit. Trip series.

Such as Void, which could be his down-B, to suck in projectiles, for example. The original 5 games on the Wii were based on having completely different styles from eachother, and could be pieces for a potential moveset.
I guess you are right.... (I Still don't see it tho) Well anyway. While I don't really see Commander making it, Shantae is a YES PLEASE. She deserves it more then Mr. Digs-A-Lot for sure (Still too new of a character to be in, and it is not even Nintedo exclusive IMO) Also, am I in the support list yet? I posted on this thread a while ago, but I don't remember being added.

EDIT: Nvm I am on the support list.

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Cristina vee got her name off the site from IMDb :-( . I know it was a easy to edit site but man I was having hope lol.

Top Bottom