• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Hi everyone, just made a SmashBoards account to join in on this thread; I've been watching for a short time, though I probably won't be here that often. I've supported the idea of Shantae ever since learning about her fan movement (I caught one thread several months ago on GameFAQs that mentioned her on the Smash Bros. Wii U board, which led me to look into her series and eventually buy Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse) and she has my vote. In fact she's about the only character DLC I'd be really hyped over (that said, Knuckles would be a character on my wish list, but I doubt they'd let Sega have him in especially before someone like Tails). Don't really need to add me to the thread's supporter list as I don't plan on being that active here, but I won't object if you do.

There's actually a specific reason I decided to make this account. I've been pretty positive about the attention she's getting for the Ballot, but one thing just occurred to me this evening that suddenly made me feel pretty uneasy about any chance she may have.

Assuming that Sakurai and his teams are looking/will look at her votes and research the character, there might be one serious problem and that's Shantae's transformations. Now, we know that her animal forms are more used for puzzle-solving/progression than for combat and that they'd be unnecessary for a Smash fighter moveset. But I'm worried that Sakurai, probably being unfamiliar with Shantae and her series, might assume that she'd be a fighter that revolves around transformations, resulting in her being dismissed thanks to this game having done away with transformations due to hardware limits.

I don't mean to discourage anyone here by saying this... but could we be confident that their research into the character would be thorough enough to avoid this? I mean, in an ideal world Sakurai most likely would easily put in the effort to learn about her and understand that Shantae works as a fighter purely in her genie form thanks to her spells and a Pirate's Curse item or two. But the thing is she's one request out of many, possibly hundreds of fighters and they wouldn't have time to painstakingly learn every single aspect of each character and game.
Gotcha moveset right here! ....at least my idea for one lol. Hope you enjoy!

http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hi everyone, just made a SmashBoards account to join in on this thread; I've been watching for a short time, though I probably won't be here that often. I've supported the idea of Shantae ever since learning about her fan movement (I caught one thread several months ago on GameFAQs that mentioned her on the Smash Bros. Wii U board, which led me to look into her series and eventually buy Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse) and she has my vote. In fact she's about the only character DLC I'd be really hyped over (that said, Knuckles would be a character on my wish list, but I doubt they'd let Sega have him in especially before someone like Tails). Don't really need to add me to the thread's supporter list as I don't plan on being that active here, but I won't object if you do.

There's actually a specific reason I decided to make this account. I've been pretty positive about the attention she's getting for the Ballot, but one thing just occurred to me this evening that suddenly made me feel pretty uneasy about any chance she may have.

Assuming that Sakurai and his teams are looking/will look at her votes and research the character, there might be one serious problem and that's Shantae's transformations. Now, we know that her animal forms are more used for puzzle-solving/progression than for combat and that they'd be unnecessary for a Smash fighter moveset. But I'm worried that Sakurai, probably being unfamiliar with Shantae and her series, might assume that she'd be a fighter that revolves around transformations, resulting in her being dismissed thanks to this game having done away with transformations due to hardware limits.

I don't mean to discourage anyone here by saying this... but could we be confident that their research into the character would be thorough enough to avoid this? I mean, in an ideal world Sakurai most likely would easily put in the effort to learn about her and understand that Shantae works as a fighter purely in her genie form thanks to her spells and a Pirate's Curse item or two. But the thing is she's one request out of many, possibly hundreds of fighters and they wouldn't have time to painstakingly learn every single aspect of each character and game.
I have a feeling that Wayforward will work closely with the Smash team to guarantee that they deliver the best version of their character as they can if she makes it in, in the meantime many others have created their own movesets for her, mine is on page 87 of this thread if you're interested, and I'll let you judge and see if you think it'll work

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Let's keep this Shantae train going. We have less than 2 months to go before the ballot closes. We need to spread the word around so that people can support our favorite Half-Genie Hero. I am going on anime/gaming sites spreading the word of #Shantae4Smash.

Let's have a countdown party during the last day of the ballot. Alright with you all?

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Let's keep this Shantae train going. We have less than 2 months to go before the ballot closes. We need to spread the word around so that people can support our favorite Half-Genie Hero. I am going on anime/gaming sites spreading the word of #Shantae4Smash.

Let's have a countdown party during the last day of the ballot. Alright with you all?
Found a timer.
http://days.to/until/3-october

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

I wouldn't worry about that in the slightest. Even with the most minimal of research, it would be evident to them that Shantae does plenty more besides transform. Her hair-whipping is more her signature move than transformations anyway, and all the promotional stuff for Pirate's Curse (the most prominent Shantae game) shows off her pirate's gear. Even if Sakurai barely looked into her, there's no way he would end up with the impression that puzzle solving transformations were the extent of her repertoire.

Last edited:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Will also do a tutorial/stream of Shantae if she miraculously makes it in. Actually I'm doing a bit more streams than before soon. Usually I'll be on my crew's Game5Smash's stream on Twitch. May also do other characters too.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
In case any of you missed what I said...

Important news from Wayforward about Half-Genie Hero:

If you haven't completed your backer survey, do it now, as submissions for them will close on August 17th.

If you are from Europe, New Zealand, or Australia, pick the code marked with your region, and carefully check it before you send your survey, as is it is required in order to have it properly work on your console if you live in these areas. If the code you picked was for the incorrect region, you cannot fix it, and you miss out on all the backer-exclusive content, as well as your copy of the game, if you have pledged that much money to the kickstarter.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I did some math with the survey results posted earlier, and Shantae has a (slightly) better fans-to-haters ratio than KING K ROOL.

Holy ****.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yeah, I can say this costume led to a decrease in hype for King K Rool (which in turn lead to less votes when the costume was first shown), but he's not out of the running just yet.
Did you know that they have the QR codes used for Miis the sample images and videos on the Smash Bros website?

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
I did some math with the survey results posted earlier, and Shantae has a (slightly) better fans-to-haters ratio than KING K ROOL.

Holy ****.
This is good news for sure! If what people said were true(best take it with some salt) that K. Rool lead the ballot then maybe Shantae does now. Either way, let's grant a wish! #Shantae4Smash #VoteForShantae

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of Miis, I decided to recently pick up Tomodachi Life for my 3DS again.

Does anyone else have a Shantae Mii on their island?

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Hey guys quick question: the first shantae game was published by Capcom right? So I was wondering what do you think her career would have been if she was actually a Capcom character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hey guys quick question: the first shantae game was published by Capcom right? So I was wondering what do you think her career would have been if she was actually a Capcom character.
If anything like Zack and Wiki's, completely forgotten by everyone.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The title doesn't have "Resident Evil" or "Street Fighter" anywhere, so she'd be thrown in the basement with Mega Man.

Top Bottom