• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
You can't simply classify which to use and call it a day. Situations vary and there are many factors when deciding which to use OoS in the spur of the moment.

For example if predicting a spotdodge nair is great. It's good OoS for it's speed. It's dmg output and positional gain is awful however.

Dair covers rolls and can beat spotdodges if timed well. It's good for punishing ledge getups OoS and mis-spaced aerials. Does good dmg. However it's much slower so it's harder for newer players to use and will come w/time. Every single one of pit's moves has uses that undoubtedly come up in every game. So try not to stick to such restrictive thinking :)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Jab.

Not even kidding.

Jab destroys sheik.

For zelda you have to play very safe. Reset the situation to neutral often. And camp very hard. It helps if u can consistently sdi fsmash.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
When you aim your arrows at off-stage opponents, do you hold your control stick slightly on an angle or do you tap?

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
When you aim your arrows at off-stage opponents, do you hold your control stick slightly on an angle or do you tap?
There are many different ways to control your arrows, and many people have their own different style of arrow control. When shooting mostly-straight arrows at offstage opponents, personally I usually tilt the control stick very slightly, and often for only a few frames. I hear the C-Stick can also be used for such adjustments.

I think the best thing you can do is just to experiment for yourself, and try to figure out what suits your style. Personally, I think arrow control is in fact best self-taught; everyone has their own style, and by practice you can come up with your own control style that works for you.

What can Pit do to get up off the ledge against marth?
Why are you wanting to get up? Staying on the ledge is usually a better option for Pit in most matchups. If he's too close, ledge drop and uair him. If he's far away, just pelt him with arrows. I suppose Marth can handle this better than most characters due to his range, but you should still be able to plank him with some degree of effectiveness.

However, if you do want to get up, there's a few things to consider. Firstly, if he's close to the edge, he'll be able to punish most getups, but it's really not a good position for him; just punish with uair. If he's out of uair range, you have a few options, and the most important thing to consider to mix them up. If you do the same thing every time, your opponent will predict and punish it. However, your opponent can't cover every getup option, so if you mix them up you've got a pretty decent chance of being safe. If you're <100%, just about every option is viable. Pit's getup attack is particularly good; many people underestimate its range and get hit by it. However, if you're 100% or higher, getup attack and roll are both very slow options, and easily punishable, but you can still ledge jump or ledge drop, jump, airdodge.

You should also consider your stage surroundings. Eg, on Smashville, you can usually use the platform to make a safe return to the main stage.

Happy Pit

Smash Cadet
Thanks, I'm having a hard time planking against Marty because of his range. But I'll keep practicing

:phone:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
um marth still beats pit whether he is planking or not. you aren't doing it wrong, that guy has obviously not played against quality marths. listen up

marth played proper will **** you on stage.

his range and the directions his moves send you (specifically dtilt) allow him to play safe guessing games against our planking.

if you trying to arrow plank, fair, fsmash, ftilt and dtilt can all beat arrows.

all of his moves space proper beat uair.

he has the mobility and he has that oh so glorious invincible UP-B that lets him run off stage and kill us if he reads a planking pattern (and every planking winds up having a pattern).

marth ***** us, use a different character against him

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
um marth still beats pit whether he is planking or not. you aren't doing it wrong, that guy has obviously not played against quality marths. listen up

marth played proper will **** you on stage.

his range and the directions his moves send you (specifically dtilt) allow him to play safe guessing games against our planking.

if you trying to arrow plank, fair, fsmash, ftilt and dtilt can all beat arrows.

all of his moves space proper beat uair.

he has the mobility and he has that oh so glorious invincible UP-B that lets him run off stage and kill us if he reads a planking pattern (and every planking winds up having a pattern).

marth ***** us, use a different character against him
I agree that the Marth matchup is a difficult one, and there's good reason that it's one of Pit's few negative matchups. However, it is by no means unwinnable.

On stage, Pit's options are limited. Up close, Marth's range simply beats ours, so unless you get a good read, you don't really want to be in his face. Your best option is to use as many arrows as possible, as that's going to be most of the damage you'll get on him.

As for planking, you're right that Marth has a few options to deal with arrow planking. However, uair will actually beat all those options, since none of Marth's hitboxes go below the stage, and a properly spaced uair leaves Pit's hurtbox below the stage.

Uair beats most of Marth's options, but you do have to be very wary of a dair. A quick, properly spaced, short hop dair will outspace your uair and bring your planking to an abrupt end.

If Marth (or anyone except MK) tries to go offstage against us, you should be able to punish, plain and simple. And Marth's UpB isn't that great imo. Sure, it comes out early, but if you manage to avoid it then it's very punishable.

Now, I'm not going to say that my experience of the MU is perfect, but I assure you that neither the quality nor quantity of Marth mains in Sydney is lacking.

Happy Pit

Smash Cadet
Well that's a lot more helpful, but I would rather not pick up a second. I find myself at a very disadvantageous position against Marth when I'm on the ledge, it feels as if he was MK. And all of his moves on stage get me to te ledge or off the stage.

:phone:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
As for planking, you're right that Marth has a few options to deal with arrow planking. However, uair will actually beat all those options, since none of Marth's hitboxes go below the stage, and a properly spaced uair leaves Pit's hurtbox below the stage.

Uair beats most of Marth's options, but you do have to be very wary of a dair. A quick, properly spaced, short hop dair will outspace your uair and bring your planking to an abrupt end.

If Marth (or anyone except MK) tries to go offstage against us, you should be able to punish, plain and simple. And Marth's UpB isn't that great imo. Sure, it comes out early, but if you manage to avoid it then it's very punishable.
actually his dtilt and his fsmash are disjointed and can hit you through the stage. also if you wanna get technical, sh-dair does too. trust me i've spent days developing character specific planking techniques. at high level, marth is one of the top 5 best anti pit planking characters and his edge guarding usually forces to come up or risk exceeding the lgl. idk if there is an lgl where you are but out here we get that lgl **** hard and mean

for those who are curious as to who the best anti pit planking characters are imo it is in this order

MK
Snake
G&W
ROB
Marth

(also im referring to one edge planking. not the 5 min scrooging planking)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
actually his dtilt and his fsmash are disjointed and can hit you through the stage. also if you wanna get technical, sh-dair does too. trust me i've spent days developing character specific planking techniques. at high level, marth is one of the top 5 best anti pit planking characters and his edge guarding usually forces to come up or risk exceeding the lgl. idk if there is an lgl where you are but out here we get that lgl **** hard and mean

for those who are curious as to who the best anti pit planking characters are imo it is in this order

MK
Snake
G&W
ROB
Marth

List seems solid and i agree w/it.

Personally i feel like ike is worse than G&W simply cuz even though he has a slightly harder time negating it when u do it right he gets a crapton more reward for successfully calling what position you will take.

Planking marth should only be a means to refresh invincibility. You should be taking notice in his anti-edge choices and pick the counter. Sometimes you'll read right. Sometimes wrong. Point being the goal of staying on the ledge against marth should be getting bk onstage. Pit can compete with him onstage. On the ledge is awful. And ofc under him is good.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441

MK
Snake
G&W
ROB
Marth

I must admit, our lgl is pretty leniant, I believe we usually use 50 for 8min. Also, I'm not really at the level yet where I can effectively time people out (I've had a few timeouts, but they're rare).

I'm not disagreeing that Marth is one of the better anti-plankers, but in my experience at least, well spaced uairs can beat his onstage anti-planking options.

I have no real experience of the ROB matchup, but I otherwise agree with that list of anti-plankers

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
When do you use dtilt? I've almost always found jab more useful, because it has a similar horizontal range, better hitbox vertically, similar damage output, and more options from jab cancels.

Also, I noticed this some time ago and you probably would have too, but does anyone else like the way Pit twirls his blade when he moves his shield?

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
dtilt is Pit's longest reaching move (except maybe ftilt, I'm not sure, but it's too slow for most situations anyway), and is often used for spacing. It comes out quickly, has good damage and a good trajectory; you can often follow up. A common setup is Jab1 -> Jab2 -> dtilt, but you can just chuck it out on its own in spacing battles.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
dtilt is how you beat things like falco's jab and other things that matter. it's also got way more range than jab.

and for the record ftilt is physically longer but dtilt doesn't extend our hurtbox anywhere near as far

Get Low

Smash Ace
So I'm new to Brawl and I've taken a liking to Pit, so I have a question regarding his playstyle.
Is the general idea with Pit just to camp near the edge of stage with arrows, force your opponent to approach, and react accordingly?
That seems to be what's most effective when I use him.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
So I'm new to Brawl and I've taken a liking to Pit, so I have a question regarding his playstyle.
Is the general idea with Pit just to camp near the edge of stage with arrows, force your opponent to approach, and react accordingly?
That seems to be what's most effective when I use him.
That's one way, but I don't necessarily think it's the best way. It's best to have a mix. Most characters have a natural flow chart, but Pit's is different IMO. Most of his moves send the opponent upwards, so to get lots of damage, it's best to send the opponent up and read/punish their movements through juggles.

singleT

Smash Rookie
Hi so what is the lowest percent pit can kill at and what are his best finishing moves

RPlayer-10

Smash Rookie
Hello! I want to know if when is the best moment to use the special attacks of Pit, please. Really, he´s so amazing because he is fast!

Also, the tosses of Pit can connect directly in a combo? And which are the basic combos of Pit?

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Special attacks. the most important is arrows. always use them when you are a safe distance away to pester and rack up damage and refresh moves. mirror shield should be used to reflect projectiles and recoveries. i usually dont use Angel ring because i dont know how to use it properly. dont use it unless you have it mastered or you will be punished. but it can alos be used to deflect projectiles and approach at the same time. and the Wings of Icarus should bu used to recover (when all jumps are exhausted). you can also use them to wing dash and stall in the air (search youtube for advanced wing techniques) also wings should be used when you are near the ledge because it helps you grab the ledge faster and the wind pucj makes you safer.

Pit has very little true combos. he has a fthrow chain grab on some heavy characters, and a fthrow>fsmash combo on a few more. basic combos/links/frametraps that you should know are SH Nair>Utilt, Down grab> Uair.

another valuable technique you should know is down/up grabbing people following them on the ground, read their landing, and up/down grab again and repeat. this works really well against characters like snake and marth. hope this helps! :)

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Dang you guys are inactive. I was wondering to see if you guys have a ranking of the best Pits...Maybe like: Earth, Koolaid.....Seriously though. Someone help me out here.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Dang you guys are inactive. I was wondering to see if you guys have a ranking of the best Pits...Maybe like: Earth, Koolaid.....Seriously though. Someone help me out here.
Rankings IMO:

1)Masashi(@ his prime)
2)Danny(@ his prime)
3)Earth(best atm)

4)Koolaid
5)Sagemoon
6)Rogue Pit
7)Admiral Pit
8)R@vyn
9)Esca

And I know I'm forgetting more Pits, but those are who matter if you want to study their videos.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
So how many Pit players are going to Apex? I'd love to meet up and share ideas. :D
I'm going, bro I saw you & Suyon place 9th @ some OH regional recently? But yeah I'd love to meet you and have a new buddy that I can share Pit stuff with.

Kryp

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I only got to play him in doubles so I didn't get the chance to talk to him much. But it would be awesome to meet up and play! :D

Loz8ichimaru

Smash Apprentice

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I've seen people cancel their up special thing with attacks, then continue to stall using glide and things; and still cancelling them and continuing to stall??
Does that mean that you guys can inf stall, or go infinitely high above the stage?
Apparently MKs can cancel Shuttle Loop, so if you know anything about that, that would be cool too.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I've seen people cancel their up special thing with attacks, then continue to stall using glide and things; and still cancelling them and continuing to stall??
Does that mean that you guys can inf stall, or go infinitely high above the stage?
Apparently MKs can cancel Shuttle Loop, so if you know anything about that, that would be cool too.
Sounds like a wing refresh. Touch the ground while WoI is active, and you'll be able to jump and stuff after ending it with an attack.

Anybody have a list of Pit's combos and OoS options?

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
http://youtu.be/8JxxJXyVJmA?t=12m45s
Here, Pit starts doing some really weird things.
I forgot if he does any more after that first one, but after he kills TL, he does up special +cancel -> glide +cancel -> ANOTHER UP SPECIAL??? all in the air. Or maybe it's something to do with how he touched the ground the first time?

I don't know. I don't know what Wol is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom