• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
okay im anything but a new pit. ive been reading these forums/maining pit for a about a year but i work alot too so ive never made a post. i been trying to find out how to help out with the match up discussions but since ive never posted i dont know how to help out. these boards have helped me out so much its my turn to help out. where do i find specific character matchup discussions? ive only ever read the character summaries for match-ups

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
okay im anything but a new pit. ive been reading these forums/maining pit for a about a year but i work alot too so ive never made a post. i been trying to find out how to help out with the match up discussions but since ive never posted i dont know how to help out. these boards have helped me out so much its my turn to help out. where do i find specific character matchup discussions? ive only ever read the character summaries for match-ups
Well, we don't have specific character discussions for ALL characters; but the ones we do have will be posted here.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197115

Also, feel free to check back on that thread, since there are times that we'll be discussing a specific character. It used to be that we would discuss a new character each week, but since the person who was in charge of the thread has become busy, it doesn't really happen anymore. Although, Kuro has taken over the thread, so I'm sure he'll come up with some kind of procedure for it.

Feel free to read through the match up discussions and post your own thoughts on it. We're also discussing Olimar at the moment. You should be able to find it, though, since it is on the first page of these forums.

Well, I hope I was able to help you. And I'm glad that these boards have been able to help you with Pit ^__^.

Also, you have an awesome avatar :D! Marth should definitely have two swords :D!!!! You've got an awesome sig, too ^__^.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286737 mk matchup discussion

and this one http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288683 is the Olimar matchup discussion which is currently being discusssed i will be doing all write-ups for matchups and such from here on out i might have KJ make me holder of the matchup thread so it'd be easier to put info on it so keep an eye out cuz each time a matchup is done ill be starting a new one not based on tier list but based on what ppl ask for/what appears most in tourney kk hope this helps

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Don't know if I should ask in the MK mu discussion: I've read that air grab release>dash attack works against MK, and i've never even gotten near to touch MK with it.. Do i suck or did I read wrong?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Don't know if I should ask in the MK mu discussion: I've read that air grab release>dash attack works against MK, and i've never even gotten near to touch MK with it.. Do i suck or did I read wrong?
it works try practicing buffering the dash and ur not spose to be right on top its the tip of ur blade (the strongest part btw) that hits him

Xcallion

Smash Ace
I think that pit has a faster glide speed (not by much) than MK. can anyone confirm/deny this?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
WARNING
itt: weird stuff

=>Not a question but I didn't find the "true combos" thread I was looking for: the "spike" part of Dtilt combozz into lots of things when done onstage at low %. Not exactly the most used move at the beginning of a stock and not exactly the easiest part of dtilt to hit with but it's there.
Dtilt>Usmash and Dtilt>reverseFsmash are comboz (according to training mode). Dtilt>reverse jab isn't one however è_e

on to the questions!
Is "ledgedrop, jump on stage, use then cancel WoI while landing" useful?
Same question for jumping from the edge, immediatly using WoI as to cancel your jump momentum and cancelling it with nair (timing is awfuly strict for this one D= )

What do you think of AR out of shield? (I'm trying to use it by short hopping OoS) I don't know the frame data on it so it was really a wild guess X]

What exactly can be the uses of using WoI directly onstage? I know it can cancel some projectiles without lag, but iirc, it can also clank with some physical moves, doesn't it?

And still about OoS options and weird WoI, does WoI have any use out of shield?<=

End of weird stuff.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
i like the ledge jump and immediatly woi cancel, it can be a good mind game, following it up with a grab or smash works best, dont do it too much though because ur oponent can punish hard if they read it

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
WARNING

=>Not a question but I didn't find the "true combos" thread I was looking for: the "spike" part of Dtilt combozz into lots of things when done onstage at low %. Not exactly the most used move at the beginning of a stock and not exactly the easiest part of dtilt to hit with but it's there.
Dtilt>Usmash and Dtilt>reverseFsmash are comboz (according to training mode). Dtilt>reverse jab isn't one however è_e

on to the questions!
Same question for jumping from the edge, immediatly using WoI as to cancel your jump momentum and cancelling it with nair (timing is awfuly strict for this one D= )

What do you think of AR out of shield? (I'm trying to use it by short hopping OoS) I don't know the frame data on it so it was really a wild guess X]

What exactly can be the uses of using WoI directly onstage? I know it can cancel some projectiles without lag, but iirc, it can also clank with some physical moves, doesn't it?

And still about OoS options and weird WoI, does WoI have any use out of shield?<=

End of weird stuff.
OK HERE I GO. @dtilt lol i usually prefer to tech chase them into a grab and a possible aerial juggle or chaingrab

2) i prefer to do this. Instead of ledgedrop do ledgeHOP cancel the hop with WoI right away BUT dont do the reg WoI do the shield cancel WoI which makes u pop up with ur shield on which u can LITERALLY roll RIGHT AWAY if u do Shield cancel WoI this covers ALL options and ways to use WoI onstage...it even clanks with snakes ftilt but it requires good read . GroundedWing Lunge fair is amazing if u read the person's approach which u should be doing. OoS grounded WoI to dair is good against many moves (needless to say none of mk's tho cept maybe whorenado) and only when they are at mid to high percent cuz otherwise they can punish landing lag. AR out of shield idk i cant help u there but i can test it out in friendlies and let you know how it works and also ON stage WoI can provide very good (and important) spacing hope i helped ;D

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
You did (though I had to read a few times cause of lack of ponctuation x_x lol don't take it personally), but i don't get what shield cancel WoI is, is there any match with a pit using it so that i could see it?

thanks~

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
sorry about the puncuation im usually too lazy to do it right...lol. Ill try to remember to make it easier for people to read. Here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uBmPZG-bbk

go to 59 second mark i simply took what he was doing and applied it to get ups for myself u can go from shield to roll from shield to spotdodge do a shield grab many ways to mix it up and very useful

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
WARNING

on to the questions!

End of weird stuff.
Wow, thanks for the information with the Dtilt combos. I'll be sure to remember them ^__^. Thanks for telling us ^__^.

Kuro mostly helped you with the other things. But for AR OoS, it is a good move, but don't use it too often, as you can get punished for it badly. Try to use AR OoS when you know you're opponent has a few openings to get a bit of damage in after you shield his attack. Or, just push your opponent into a corner, block his attack, and the use AR OoS. If you spaced it right, you can get big damage if you pushed your opponent into the wall correctly. But as I said, try not to use it too often, because we all know AR can be punished ^^;.

OK HERE I GO. @dtilt lol i usually prefer to tech chase them into a grab and a possible aerial juggle or chaingrab

2) i prefer to do this. Instead of ledgedrop do ledgeHOP cancel the hop with WoI right away BUT dont do the reg WoI do the shield cancel WoI which makes u pop up with ur shield on which u can LITERALLY roll RIGHT AWAY if u do Shield cancel WoI this covers ALL options and ways to use WoI onstage...it even clanks with snakes ftilt but it requires good read . GroundedWing Lunge fair is amazing if u read the person's approach which u should be doing. OoS grounded WoI to dair is good against many moves (needless to say none of mk's tho cept maybe whorenado) and only when they are at mid to high percent cuz otherwise they can punish landing lag. AR out of shield idk i cant help u there but i can test it out in friendlies and let you know how it works and also ON stage WoI can provide very good (and important) spacing hope i helped ;D
WOW I did NOT know you can cancel WoI with a Shield cancel @__@. I'll have to try it out sometime. Thanks for the info, Kuro ^__^. One question, though: Can you just press the Shield Button to WoI cancel? Or do you have to Dair cancel and immediately go into Shield?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
You have to dair cancel while holding the shield button its reeeeal ez took me just a bit to figure out the hardest part is implementing it into gameplay. and the uses i mentioned which im still working on.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
kks, how many frames do I get to attack/grab after I land a jab? Theoretically and realistically? And shields come out on frame 1 right?

dskank

Smash Journeyman
as far as i can tell we dont get any frame advantage from jab cancelling, if pit cancels his jab it can be punished by any fast move, aka opponents jab, mk dsmash
jab cancel as a mix-up, jab>grab is good

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
About frame advantages etc... How good/reliable/unpunishable (?) is sourspot Bair>something else? (like hyphen smash, jab, I dunno...)

I fought Yass and he plays hella different from me but this weak Bair>something else really intrigued me.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
About frame advantages etc... How good/reliable/unpunishable (?) is sourspot Bair>something else? (like hyphen smash, jab, I dunno...)

I fought Yass and he plays hella different from me but this weak Bair>something else really intrigued me.
week bair > fsmash is true at low percents... i think, it works when i go for it

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Fairly noob question since I've only picked up Pit in the last week.

From what I've noticed Pit's glide attack when hitting the floor is lagless, is this correct.

If so I'm assuming when gliding onto the stage and not the ledge this would be the best way to land instead of cancelling the glide (unless of course the opponent is after you in mid air and you need to avoid it)

Hope that makes sense.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
Fairly noob question since I've only picked up Pit in the last week.

From what I've noticed Pit's glide attack when hitting the floor is lagless, is this correct.

If so I'm assuming when gliding onto the stage and not the ledge this would be the best way to land instead of cancelling the glide (unless of course the opponent is after you in mid air and you need to avoid it)

Hope that makes sense.
yeah if u glide attack onto the stage it cancels lagglessly and it keeps the momentum of the glide which causes a sliding efect like a glide toss, wether its better to grab ledge or go on stage is completely situational.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
ik this is gonna sound stupid but i need a refresher to do grouned pivot arrows all u do is run use arrow turn around shoot right?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Kuro>yes, but if you try to use an arrow before your initial dash animation (or whatever that's called) is over, you'll fail. You have to wait a bit. Then you Breverse :o

hopte that helped (lol@me being able to help s-o)

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
This may be a stupid question... How you b-reverse an arrow while keeping your momentum forward (so you are moving in the same direction in the air you originally were going but have reversed position so you are shooting an arrow the opposite direction)?

I can do b-reversal grounded and in the air, but I can't keep my momentum in the air, I always force-turn around and move backwards.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Hmm idk. I don't think you can do so. Im not entirely sure I always Pivot arrow in the air or ground. Maybe if you lightly tapped the control stick. Again I'm not sure I'll put some time into it and figure it out.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
This may be a stupid question... How you b-reverse an arrow while keeping your momentum forward (so you are moving in the same direction in the air you originally were going but have reversed position so you are shooting an arrow the opposite direction)?

I can do b-reversal grounded and in the air, but I can't keep my momentum in the air, I always force-turn around and move backwards.
do u mean like this?

say you're running and u want to do an aerial pivot arrow are u wanting to go in teh same direction u were running so u escape them and shoot or are u wanting to not go further away from them?

For the getting away i had trouble with this till in training i found and now its just muscle memory to me so uhh ill get back to it

for going towards its pretty simple just run jump and b-reverse right away and youll go towards em...though idk why u would do this so im assuming its the other one u want ill get back to it asap

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
So is there a preferred way to angle the glide so your glide attack can't be shieldgrabbed as easily?

i.e. slicing the top of their shield while Pit ends up behind them
or lifting up just before you attack so Pit is in the air after the glair pokes their shield

Or should I just completely stop glide attacking grounded enemies all together because sometimes it works and it's a powerful move with good priority, but most of the time I get shieldgrabbed.

Top Bottom