• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

rinoH

Smash Lord
you should use dair though because dair is the only one that doesnt have lag if you dont do it perfectly

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Could I have quick matchup advice for Marth?
use the mirror shield, edge camp, WoI tricks, arrows. wouldnt bother trying to gimp, instead edgeguard for good damage w/ arrows and such. try to get a clean kill on the edge dont jump out at him

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Ledgecamping wont be as effective considering the F-smash tipper may connect to you. However, I would try to be defensive at some points, then offensive to pressure Marth, but when being aggressive, you have to be up in his face to at least avoid tippers.
Then maybe he'd grab you, he does that frequently at times.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
yea your going to want to edge camp marth some but its stupid to do it forever because he can tipper so you need to do a legde-hopped fair immediately when he gets close ) or some ledgehopped air

SSD

Smash Journeyman
also i have a quick question what does it mean to telegraph an attack
Telegraphing an attack is revealing you are doing to do it before you actually do. Take Toon Link standing on the very edge of Yoshi's island(brawl). Obviously he's going to go for a 0% dsmash kill. Or Pit/Ike crouching at the edge when the opponent is recovering - it screams I AM GOING TO TRY TO METEOR SMASH YOU WITH DTILT. Mario and some other characters get this huge boost on their fsmash range when they do it opposite to the direction they're facing - waiting around with your back to your opponent says that they're going to try to 'surprise' you with the extra range - though it will only surprise someone who doesn't know about the range boost.

Some attacks telegraph themselves. When Jigglypuff uses pound, she'll make that very noticeable sound right before the attack. If you shield or dodge when you hear that sound, you probably won't get hit. Snake does the same thing when he activates his C4 - he makes the raising hand motion, then says "NOW!", then it blows up. Marth's neutral B recovery follows the same path every single time, making it another telegraphed move. most characters with meteor smashes can position themselves so he flies into their hitbox for an easy kill.

Ganondorf and Falcon(the characters, not the players) telegraph their neutral Bs with the long startup and the sounds. Ganon's uptilt is similar.

When it comes to Pit, glide attacks are often telegraphed, making them easy to avoid.

Really it's just things that you don't need prediction to see coming.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You dont mind me asking a good video maker for Combo video help, considering how I've been waiting for so long, and it's hard for me to personally find one?
I would recommend not Windows Movie Maker, was goin to make a thread, but It's really not worth the space.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
why do people always skip stickies and go straight to making an entire thread about a question that should be asked here??

Afropony

Smash Lord
Cause they havn't seen this thread and are probably new to the boards.
Sorry Admiral can't help you out there.

Is it true you go faster during WoI if you press diagnol left up to diagnol right up to diagnol left up etc. instead of just going straight up?

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Cause they havn't seen this thread and are probably new to the boards.
Sorry Admiral can't help you out there.

Is it true you go faster during WoI if you press diagnol left up to diagnol right up to diagnol left up etc. instead of just going straight up?
I'm pretty sure that's true. You have faster movement from side to side, which sorta transfers into upwards motion, or something like that.

LoveChrist

Smash Cadet
I have seen some arrow loops where the arrows cross, and look almost perpendicular. Is it possible to do this consistantly, or is it a glitch kind of thing?

Atria

Smash Journeyman
whatever happened to that thread for stage counterpicks for pit?
Yeah, I'm wondering about that too because I'm wanting to find out what stages are good and bad for Pit. I was also hoping that I could get some reasons why they were Pit's good and bad stages respectively too. Anyone have an answer to my question because this has been on my head for a while now and it's bothering me...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206886

The Stage Counterpicks link for you Seiya

@Atria: One of Pit's best stages is at Norfair, a counterpick against Diddy, D3, ICs, and Gay Snake. Sigh, if only this CP was allowed... it would make things easier for me.

Luigi's Mansion is one of his worst, YI being another.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
[ @Atria: One of Pit's best stages is at Norfair, a counterpick against Diddy, D3, ICs, and Gay Snake. Sigh, if only this CP was allowed... it would make things easier for me.

Luigi's Mansion is one of his worst, YI being another.
Why does Pit do well and bad on those respective stages? Also, do you mean Yoshi's Island Brawl or Melee for one of Pit's worst stages?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Brawl, and because of all the Neutral stages you can't fly under it. Making it much eaiser for someone to gimp your WoI or see how your recovering. The shyguys can also act as a wall for arrows. YI is one that every Pit I have talked to says is one of his worst, but LM in my opinion is neutral (for Pit) to good for pit. And I have heard this LM part from many Pits also.

Seiya7

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Admiral!

hm...imo yi could be a cp against pit for the reasons stated above i ALWAYS scratch that first during stage striking.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I've heard of several ways to stop momentum while being unwillingly thrown out of the screen.

First was to jump and quickly up-b which is suppose to stop momentum, but is that any good for flying out of the screen upward, or should this only be used for being spiked, as i'm guessing a simple hop+up-b can just as well add to flying out of the top of the screen.

Second is by holding control stick in opposite way you have been thrown and mashing c-stick also in the opposite direction repeatedly.

Which techniques would be best for each direction you are being thrown?
Are there any other techniques I have not heard about?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
For Atria,

Norfair allows Pit to stall and ledgecamp effectively. A good Pit would be "Sharking" in the stage often.
"Sharking" is a term that we Pits use when we attack our opponents from below a platform. In Norfair's case, a Pit uses U-airs below the platforms and opponent. This tactic is frequent in this stage and can be pressuring.
He can also hop from platform to platform with Up-B and doesnt have to be on those platforms, he can hop from ledge to ledge all he wants.
Pit's Mirror Shield blocks 2 outta 4 Lava hazards and can easily avoid the others.

Counterpick this place against the 4 following chars, and why

Snake: Snake's explosives are destoyed by the Lava and not much room for Snakedash to be really effective.
Diddy: Small platforms and Lava hazards damage Diddy's Banana game.
Falco: Small platforms weaken Falco's CG, and Lava from below may neutralize the Falco spike.
Dedede: No long Chaingrabs here.

Pit's bad stage here is Yoshi's Island (brawl version) Corrupt gave a small description on that.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I've heard of several ways to stop momentum while being unwillingly thrown out of the screen.

First was to jump and quickly up-b which is suppose to stop momentum, but is that any good for flying out of the screen upward, or should this only be used for being spiked, as i'm guessing a simple hop+up-b can just as well add to flying out of the top of the screen.

Second is by holding control stick in opposite way you have been thrown and mashing c-stick also in the opposite direction repeatedly.

Which techniques would be best for each direction you are being thrown?
Are there any other techniques I have not heard about?
If you mean air momentum canceling for Pit, the best option for Pit when it comes to canceling air momentum both horizontally and vertically are:

Horizontally: Fair + Jump + Glide.
For the part where I say Jump + Glide, hold the jump button so that Pit can jump and then glide immediately after jumping. Also, when gliding to cancel your air momentum, DON'T ANGLE THE GLIDE TRAJECTORY UNTIL YOU LOSE ALL MOMENTUM! If you do while you still have momentum, it will push you back slightly. So keep yourself in that neutral horizontal glide position. Until there is no more momentum, (Pit starts moving forward again.) then you CAN angle your glide trajectory. For DI, make sure you DI to the corner of the screen. To do that, just DI up when hit by a move which sends you flying horizontally.

Vertically: Fast Fall + Fair.
To accomplish this one much more easily/faster, hold down on the control stick while you use the C-stick to perform a Fair. This will make Pit fast fall during the attack. For DI, when hit vertically towards the ceiling, make sure you either DI by pressing left or right on the control stick. I should also mention that the C-Stick doesn't help with regular DI, only the control stick does.

Also, I made a thread on this some time back so I'll give you a link to it:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215841

Near the end of the post, I should have come to a conclusion about the best strategy for Pit. If not, well I already put it up there for you. Read through the whole thing anyway because I think I also discuss about what Air Momentum Canceling is to someone and how to do it successfully.

For Atria,

Norfair allows Pit to stall and ledgecamp effectively. A good Pit would be "Sharking" in the stage often.
"Sharking" is a term that we Pits use when we attack our opponents from below a platform. In Norfair's case, a Pit uses U-airs below the platforms and opponent. This tactic is frequent in this stage and can be pressuring.
He can also hop from platform to platform with Up-B and doesnt have to be on those platforms, he can hop from ledge to ledge all he wants.
Pit's Mirror Shield blocks 2 outta 4 Lava hazards and can easily avoid the others.

Counterpick this place against the 4 following chars, and why

Snake: Snake's explosives are destoyed by the Lava and not much room for Snakedash to be really effective.
Diddy: Small platforms and Lava hazards damage Diddy's Banana game.
Falco: Small platforms weaken Falco's CG, and Lava from below may neutralize the Falco spike.
Dedede: No long Chaingrabs here.

Pit's bad stage here is Yoshi's Island (brawl version) Corrupt gave a small description on that.
Wow, I didn't know that Pit's mirror shield was capable of blocking the lava! Which ones can he block and can't? Are there any other good and bad stages for Pit? So far I've only got Norfair as a good stage for him while YIB is a bad stage for him. Again, reasons would be helpful. Also, what would be the best neutral stage for Pit apart from YIB which is a bad neutral stage for him. The only neutral stages I know of are:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Thanks

Infinite_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Going up against Pit useing Lucario on FD stage

I am undefeated (27 victorys 0 losses) and my friend is the same useing PIT, 17 people have lost to him...

both of us are very good,we know the advanced stuff like DI,cancels,catching items, priorety, countering, hitboxes ect. but not much metagame(neither of us have betten all star on max without countinueing) and have been playing smash since the 90's but never any tournys

Any advise, or ideas what I should expect?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Lava bursts, the small waves from the background, not the large one, can be blocked by Pit's Mirror Shield, but you dont wanna be in the middle of it.
Then there's the Lavafall from either the left or right of the stage, which can be blocked by Mirror Shield easily. You can repull out the Mirror Shield and still wont get hurt by it. But you should repull it out or Pit will put away the Mirror Shield, which he does in about 10 seconds and you'll hurt.

This is all I can give for now Atria.

NinjaMeepit

Smash Rookie
Ok, I have a question, not sure if someone answered this yet, but whatever. I've been trying to arrow layer for weeks, and I can barely do it.

Is there any guide/tips on how to do it, and how it can be effective in a normal match?

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Does Pit excel on any neutral stages or does he do fairly well on all of them apart from YIB? Also, are there any other good CPs for Pit apart from Norfair plus any other bad ones?

Thanks.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
It depends on what the neutrals are in your area, but BF should be on any neutral list, and LC might be on your areas list also and if its not it should be a CP. Basiclly any stage with alot of platforms can be a good one for Pit.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
According to a CP guide, Pit's other good stages are Final Destination and LC. (Which you just suggested.) Also, apparently PS1 is a bad stage for him. Why would these stages be good and bad for Pit respectively?

Afropony

Smash Lord
Final destination is probably called a good stage for Pit because it allowes him to abuse arrows.

Lylat cruise is a good stage for pit because the tip on the edge doesn't screw his recovery up, he can move his arrows so the tilting of the stage doesn't affect him and he can camp on the edge with Uair and cut through about 1/6th of the stage with it. (My favorite stage, never lost on it)

I don't see how Pokemon stadium1 could be a bad stage for Pit. It's long so he can use arrows, the edge doesnt screw him up and allowes him to cut through the stage with Uair.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Well what stages are bad for Pit? I only have YIB. Hmm...Being able to cut through 1/6th of the stage with Uair sounds intriguing...Think I'll try it out.

Afropony

Smash Lord
there aren't really any other bad stages for Pit! Maybe the reason Pit is supposed to be bad on PS1 is because he can't glide under the satge making him easier to gimp for some characters.

Apart from that it's just stages that you don't really like. Which for me would have to be Castle siege and Halberd. Alhough i'm tring to get better on Halberd.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
So Pit is pretty much an 'all rounder' with the remaining stages there are? Do I just have to be aware of what character my opponent chooses and what stages they like seemingly as though Pit doesn't really have any bad stages?

Top Bottom