• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hyrule Saga discussion thread (Ft. Triforce Friday!)

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Mr. R :4sheik: 3-2 ANTi :4mario: to advance to Losers Finals! Could we see a curse break (and a major win from the other top Sheik)?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Tweek :4bayonetta: 3-1 Mr. R :4sheik: to win Hyrule Saga! The curse continues, but Mr. R is now tied for the closest player to break the curse.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Curse too strong. But just to point out, Tweek hadn’t dropped a game the entire tournament before Mr. R.
In fact, Mr. R was the only person to take a game off of Tweek.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
/opinions

No lie, top 8s have become a lot more boring without ZeRo around. People gave him a lot of ****, but he was the biggest thing stopping the DLCpocalypse from taking over like it has now. Doesn't help that Cloud and Bayo are two of the least interesting characters in the game.

Oh well, Zaki was hype as hell, Ganon actually showed up, Robin broke top 64, and Mekos snuck into top 24 with Solo Lucas. So there's still lots of good stuff, just not in top 8.

/opinions over

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
I will be honest I don't care if a Bayonetta player won the tournament it was still a great tournament tweek is an amazing player people need to stop hating tournaments just because 1-2 Bayonetta's is in top 8 or a Bayonetta wins the tournament

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Shout out to VoiD for telling the a**hole crowd to shut up about Bayonetta. I love VoiD so damn much, he’s such a nice and down to earth guy, and he’s so fun to watch and root for. I have a lot of respect for someone that is willing to stand up to the crowd to respect their opponent.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
2GG: Hyrule Saga (780 Entrants) (A+ tier)

1st: Tweek:4bayonetta::4cloud2:
2nd: Mr. R:4sheik:
3rd: Dabuz:rosalina:
4th: ANTi:4mario::4zss::4cloud2:
5th: Cosmos:4corrinf:(Female Corrin's icon has changed?!?)
5th: Captain Zack:4bayonetta2:
7th: SDX:4mewtwo:
7th: MKLeo:4marth::4cloud2:
9th: Shuton:4olimar:
9th: Salem:4bayonetta:
9th: Samsora:4peach:
9th: Kameme:4megaman::4sheik:
13th: Abadango:4bayonetta::4mewtwo:
13th: Light:4fox:
13th: Elegant:4luigi:
13th: VoiD:4sheik:
17th: Ally:4mario:
17th: Mekos:4lucas:
17th: Larry Lurr:4fox::4marth:
17th: Raito:4duckhunt:
17th: Maister:4gaw:
17th: zaki:4dedede:
17th: Chag:4bayonetta2:
17th: Nairo:4zss:
25th: Darkshad:4ryu:
25th: falln:rosalina:
25th: Zenyou:4mario:
25th: WaDi:4mewtwo:
25th: tyroy:4bayonetta:
25th: Captain L:4pikachu:
25th: Javi:4sheik::4cloud:
25th: komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
The biggest thing that's damning the competitive atmosphere right now and is already giving me a sour taste in my mouth regarding Ultimate is the community's utter failing of being able to concede that Bayonetta players right now are just simply better than everyone else, which feels especially evident with Salem's downturn in results while other Bayos have stepped up to contend for the crown. Tweek and CaptainZack in this tournament reinforced to me the notion that top level Bayonetta play is just as exciting to watch as top level Sheik play, and yet we're stuck with bad optics because Bayo's ladder combos are easy to hate despite those same jeers turning into cheers when ZSS and Meta Knight perform the same nonsense.

I'm going to hate seeing this character grounded into mush (assuming that happens), and I blame a lot of it on ZeRo. The well is irrevocably poisoned, and the mythmaking has been so thoroughly perpetuated at this point that I feel people just wouldn't accept a good character in spite of Ultimate's systems doing what good balancing should do and almost universally buff everyone that wasn't already top tier in turn.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
[...]Bayonetta players right now are just simply better than everyone else, which feels especially evident with Salem's downturn in results while other Bayos have stepped up to contend for the crown.
Tweek and CaptainZack in this tournament reinforced to me the notion that top level Bayonetta play is just as exciting to watch as top level Sheik play [...]
I agree with you, although I do personally find Sheik to be one of the least, if not the least, fun character to watch. Bayonetta is bottom 5 for me.

[...]despite those same jeers turning into cheers when ZSS and Meta Knight perform the same nonsense.
I don't really like ladder combos for ZSS or Meta Knight either, personally.

With that being said, I do believe that some people take it too far. It's fine to not like watching certain characters (I, personally, tend to dislike watching Bayonetta, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, and Sheik), but one should probably not spam Twitch chat (and one should especially not hate on the player). Also, let's be real, Bayonetta, in this game, is far too strong. I really hope the top 3 in Ultimate won't be as strong as the top 3 in Smash 4.

Pretty cool to see Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucas, and King Dedede in 17th place, though.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I mean, take a look at Bayo's overall placings in tournaments, and you will see an alarming trend:

As you can see, Bayonetta has over double the top 64 placements as the next best character. DOUBLE.

She dwarfs even Brawl MK, who at his absolute peak was just shy of 27%.

If she was ahead by just a slim majority, calling this mob mentality might be justified. But as it stands, hate for her by crowds and social media is deserved--they aren't just hating a playstyle or players, there's a statistical basis to their complaints.

She is obviously choking out the rest of the roster. It's gotten so bad, that ZSS is performing worse than Melee Luigi.

Wait, that doesn't seem right. Hold on.

Sorry, mislabeled my data; fixed.

Anyway, what was I saying?

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux

so melee fox is 100x worse than Bayonetta in terms of dominance but melee fox gets a pass

in terms of what everyone is saying people are definitely taking it to far being this negative towards a character is not going to solve anything

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
so melee fox is 100x worse than Bayonetta in terms of dominance but melee fox gets a pass
Roughly three times worse, going by that data. Still, Melee and Melee Fox are different in many significant ways:

1. Bayonetta is a DLC character. She came and made the game worse for many players. Melee Fox, on the other hand, was a veteran (he was in Smash 64 too). Oh, and being a DLC character also means lots of people already had a main when she was released.

2. Bayonetta is considered frustrating to play against, Melee Fox is considered more "fair" by Melee players. Some Melee players have speculated that if Melee Jigglypuff were #1 people would complain a lot more. I imagine if Melee Ice Climbers were #1 people would also complain a lot more.

3. Melee has a fairly small number of viable characters, Smash 4 has a large roster. It makes sense that a single character would take up a larger % in a smaller roster. I wonder what data for Smash 64 would look like? It wouldn't surprise me if Pikachu had around 40%.

4. Bayonetta is a third party character, while Fox is a beloved (?) Nintendo character. I doubt many people would cite this as a reason, although I think some people might subconsciously dislike the fact that third party characters are so strong in Smash 4. I wonder what Brawl would have looked like if Snake were #1?

Anyway, lots of reasons why Melee and Smash 4 are different. Melee being older is likely another reason: Those that hate Fox have probably moved on to other games, while those that hate Bayonetta in Smash 4 don't have a newer Smash game to move on to (yet).

It's interesting to note that Sonic, too, has received quite a bit of hate, despite not even being a top 3 character.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I mean, take a look at Bayo's overall placings in tournaments, and you will see an alarming trend:

As you can see, Bayonetta has over double the top 64 placements as the next best character. DOUBLE.

If she was ahead by just a slim majority, calling this mob mentality might be justified. But as it stands, hate for her by crowds and social media is deserved--they aren't just hating a playstyle or players, there's a statistical basis to their complaints.

She is obviously choking out the rest of the roster. It's gotten so bad, that ZSS is performing worse than Melee Luigi.

I’ve never understood the hate with her but the love for Fox in Melee. He honestly killed a lot of fun for me in that game to where I just played PM instead since I got more variety there.

Still what works for some people and taste will differ a lot.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Roughly three times worse, going by that data. Still, Melee and Melee Fox are different in many significant ways:

1. Bayonetta is a DLC character. She came and made the game worse for many players. Melee Fox, on the other hand, was a veteran (he was in Smash 64 too). Oh, and being a DLC character also means lots of people already had a main when she was released.

2. Bayonetta is considered frustrating to play against, Melee Fox is considered more "fair" by Melee players. Some Melee players have speculated that if Melee Jigglypuff were #1 people would complain a lot more. I imagine if Melee Ice Climbers were #1 people would also complain a lot more.

3. Melee has a fairly small number of viable characters, Smash 4 has a large roster. It makes sense that a single character would take up a larger % in a smaller roster. I wonder what data for Smash 64 would look like? It wouldn't surprise me if Pikachu had around 40%.

4. Bayonetta is a third party character, while Fox is a beloved (?) Nintendo character. I doubt many people would cite this as a reason, although I think some people might subconsciously dislike the fact that third party characters are so strong in Smash 4. I wonder what Brawl would have looked like if Snake were #1?

Anyway, lots of reasons why Melee and Smash 4 are different. Melee being older is likely another reason: Those that hate Fox have probably moved on to other games, while those that hate Bayonetta in Smash 4 don't have a newer Smash game to move on to (yet).

It's interesting to note that Sonic, too, has received quite a bit of hate, despite not even being a top 3 character.
those are all decent points but number 2 is mostly opinions people do think that characters like Jigglypuff and Bayonetta are fun to watch

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
The biggest thing that's damning the competitive atmosphere right now and is already giving me a sour taste in my mouth regarding Ultimate is the community's utter failing of being able to concede that Bayonetta players right now are just simply better than everyone else, which feels especially evident with Salem's downturn in results while other Bayos have stepped up to contend for the crown. Tweek and CaptainZack in this tournament reinforced to me the notion that top level Bayonetta play is just as exciting to watch as top level Sheik play, and yet we're stuck with bad optics because Bayo's ladder combos are easy to hate despite those same jeers turning into cheers when ZSS and Meta Knight perform the same nonsense.

I'm going to hate seeing this character grounded into mush (assuming that happens), and I blame a lot of it on ZeRo. The well is irrevocably poisoned, and the mythmaking has been so thoroughly perpetuated at this point that I feel people just wouldn't accept a good character in spite of Ultimate's systems doing what good balancing should do and almost universally buff everyone that wasn't already top tier in turn.
I wish I can give this like a billion likes. Well said.

The funniest thing with Zero's hate on Bayo is that he got real salty after Sheik was nerfed (and rightly so), even coming to post on f*cking Smashboards to voice his frustration with nerfs that are just clearly designed weaken top tiers for the sake of "balance".

But now, Zero is sh*tting on Bayo and her players by saying that the character "has no disadvantage," "favorable risk-reward situations," "too good at the ledge," etc etc. Sound familiar?? This is almost exactly what people were complaining about for pre-patch sheik.

The complaint vortex is real; don't get trapped in it.

I also attribute the encouragement of this Bayo hate problem to some people in the Melee community. Despite what some people might say about Fox and how "fun" it is to fight him (LMAO), a good fox is oppressive as F*CK. I'm not quite sure where this narrative that Fox is fun to fight came from, because actual tournament goers will definitely tell you otherwise, and Fox has both one of the best neutral and punish options in a game full of bonkers options. And, he has some of the best options for killing both horizontally AND vertically, what the ****. E.G. Shine spiking, up throw up air/nair/back air, jab up smash, waveshine up smash, etc etc. And many of these options kill at both early, mid, and late percents. It's ****ing ridiculous that some Melee players will paint in Bayo in a worse light than Fox by using meaningless/subjective terms like "design", "fun to fight", etc.

And I swear to god, if characters like Jigglypuff or DDD gets buffed in Ultimate to actually become high/top tiers, I can already imagine the sh*t storm that will ensue. Smh.

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
But now, Zero is sh*tting on Bayo and her players by saying that the character "has no disadvantage," "favorable risk-reward situations," "too good at the ledge," etc etc. Sound familiar?? This is almost exactly what people were complaining about for pre-patch sheik.
yeah that's pretty hypocritical and saying that are characters has no weaknesses is ridiculous

I also attribute the encouragement of this Bayo hate problem to some people in the Melee community. Despite what some people might say about Fox and how "fun" it is to fight him (LMAO), a good fox is oppressive as F*CK. I'm not quite sure where this narrative that Fox is fun to fight came from, because actual tournament goers will definitely tell you otherwise, and Fox has both one of the best neutral and punish options in a game full of bonkers options. And, he has some of the best options for killing both horizontally AND vertically, what the ****. E.G. Shine spiking, up throw up air/nair/back air, jab up smash, waveshine up smash, etc etc. And many of these options kill at both early, mid, and late percents. It's ****ing ridiculous that some Melee players will paint in Bayo in a worse light than Fox by using meaningless/subjective terms like "design", "fun to fight", etc.
I know what your talking about any time I bring up the argument of fox being more dominant than Bayonetta in terms of results people immediately jump to this excuse I don't care about how fun a character is to watch I only care about facts and its a fact that fox is much more dominant than Bayonetta in terms of results

And I swear to god, if characters like Jigglypuff or DDD gets buffed in Ultimate to actually become high/top tiers, I can already imagine that people will start getting real salty and complaining little ******* about these characters. Smh.
that's the thing even if Bayonetta is nerfed to the point of unusability people will just complain about the next best character

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
those are all decent points but number 2 is mostly opinions people do think that characters like Jigglypuff and Bayonetta are fun to watch
Oh, many of these points are highly subjective (some people enjoy fighting Bayonetta too). I, personally, enjoy watching Melee Puff, and I don't think Bayonetta is the least fun Smash 4 character to watch (Sheik is for me). Still, it seems pretty clear that many people dislike watching Bayonetta. I imagine that if you were to conduct a survey on which characters people dislike watching the most, Bayonetta would be near the top.

The funniest thing with Zero's hate on Bayo is that he got real salty after Sheik was nerfed (and rightly so)[...]
I'd argue that Sheik is still a top 4 character and could use some more nerfs (although I'm not exactly sure what to hit without turning her into a mid tier). I hope Ultimate makes Sheik less oppressive to play against, I'm a bit worried that she'll be the new Bayonetta (in a sense). Time will tell, I suppose.

But now, Zero is sh*tting on Bayo and her players by saying that the character "has no disadvantage," "favorable risk-reward situations," "too good at the ledge," etc etc.
ZeRo has a tendency to exaggerate, which I find a bit unfortunate. "That killed at 70" when it actually killed at something like 86%, and such.

Here's a thought: If someone plays a top 5 character, then they should be mentally prepared for nerfs. If they're not okay with that, then perhaps they should play some other character.

And I swear to god, if characters like Jigglypuff or DDD gets buffed in Ultimate to actually become high/top tiers, I can already imagine the sh*t storm that will ensue.
I think it'd be really hard to turn a superheavy or Jigglypuff into a top/high tier without being oppressive in some way. I'd be fine with Jigglypuff in low-mid or mid tier, personally. Wouldn't surprise me if she's a low tier again though.

that's the thing even if Bayonetta is nerfed to the point of unusability people will just complain about the next best character
Not necessarily. I've seen games without a clear #1 where people didn't complain nearly as much as for Smash 4 (though Bayonetta's issues aren't merely her power level).

Rran

Smash Apprentice

This post is incredible <3

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616

Applies to DLC, patches, third party characters, other video games, video game companies, immigrants with brown skin, every political party, and those pesky Jews.

Humans have a lot of neurons in our brains devoted to identifying and hating the enemy tribe. It's scary how easy it is to chant or boo... literally anything.

(But of course, my hatred of Sonic is different and completely rational. /s)

But seriously, props again to void's community leadership. This was a great event for a lot of reasons, so many good sets.

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
This post is incredible <3
Incredible in its vast inaccuracies, sure. I'm not sure if this is a blatant troll post by Thinkaman, where he is trying to convince people of absurdities (this is a very Thinkamany thing to do) or if he is spreading a false narrative to push his agenda (which is also a sort of Thinkamany thing to do *cough*customs*cough* though I hope he would have more veracity than this), but something was a little unsettling about those numbers so I just had a quick look on my lunch break.

According to this, in the past year, Jigglypuff has won only a staggeringly low 16 sets in top 64. So I decided to check the data against even one tournament, TBH7. If you follow Hungrybox, he won 8 sets in top 64 alone (link). So...half of the entire character's wins for the year. Even if you just look at Shine (link) where he got another 6 wins, it's clear to see that the data...sucks. Just so you know it's not real, here's the Genesis 5 bracket for 6 more Jigglypuff wins (link).

There were 7 tournaments with 500+ players in attendance in that time period. Top 64 will have 94 sets (95 if there's a reset), so our set total should add up to 658. Even if you subtract dittos, we are missing 255 sets. That means that 63% of all sets would be dittos (and probably Fox dittos too!)...hmm.

It's much easier to track this in Melee because there's a whole lot less viable characters, so yes, of course, the wins will be less distributed. It's not a written rule obviously but if you consider SS, S and A tiers to contain your viable characters, B tiers to be semi-viable and C tiers and below to be your upset characters, then Melee has just 6 characters who are viable with 2 semi-viable choices, where Smash 4 has 12 viable characters and 11 semi-viable choices. My guess is that if you compare the win-rate of Melee's top 6 (or top 8 if you really want) to Smash 4's top 12 (or top 23 if you really want) then you'll see the real numbers are actually probably similar-ish if you section them off properly. Showing the top 10 of each game is a flawed way to display this list because Melee doesn't even have 10 characters you can use to good effect in top 64.

None of this takes saturation into account either. Bayonetta was released well into Smash 4's life, when people had already poured hundreds of hours into their mains, so overall there are still not as many Bayonetta players as there are players of other characters. If she was a day 1 choice, I'm confident we would see the same sort of usage numbers as Fox and Brawl MK if she maintained the strength she has today throughout the lifetime of the game. So it's hardly a fair comparison, imo. And yet, with fewer representatives, she STILL manages to top this chart with the other DLC character released late into the game. But yeah you're right, there's no problem here. /s

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The charts list per-event instances of (winning) characters used, not sets. (As stated at the top) The numbers are over a magnitude off from counting sets, not sure how anyone could confuse them.

As for roster-size, this has zero bearing on representation-based measures of balance. A game with 2 characters and 1 viable does not get awards for amazing 50% representation. A game with 1000 characters is not stale if the top 64 is 64 different characters. Pichu being in Melee does not make Melee a competitively worse game.

If there are X characters used in tourney, there are X characters used in tourney. That is the amount of gameplay that competitors and viewers experience, end of story.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Incredible in its vast inaccuracies, sure. I'm not sure if this is a blatant troll post by Thinkaman, where he is trying to convince people of absurdities (this is a very Thinkamany thing to do) or if he is spreading a false narrative to push his agenda (which is also a sort of Thinkamany thing to do *cough*customs*cough* though I hope he would have more veracity than this), but something was a little unsettling about those numbers so I just had a quick look on my lunch break.

According to this, in the past year, Jigglypuff has won only a staggeringly low 16 sets in top 64. So I decided to check the data against even one tournament, TBH7. If you follow Hungrybox, he won 8 sets in top 64 alone (link). So...half of the entire character's wins for the year. Even if you just look at Shine (link) where he got another 6 wins, it's clear to see that the data...sucks. Just so you know it's not real, here's the Genesis 5 bracket for 6 more Jigglypuff wins (link).

There were 7 tournaments with 500+ players in attendance in that time period. Top 64 will have 94 sets (95 if there's a reset), so our set total should add up to 658. Even if you subtract dittos, we are missing 255 sets. That means that 63% of all sets would be dittos (and probably Fox dittos too!)...hmm.

It's much easier to track this in Melee because there's a whole lot less viable characters, so yes, of course, the wins will be less distributed. It's not a written rule obviously but if you consider SS, S and A tiers to contain your viable characters, B tiers to be semi-viable and C tiers and below to be your upset characters, then Melee has just 6 characters who are viable with 2 semi-viable choices, where Smash 4 has 12 viable characters and 11 semi-viable choices. My guess is that if you compare the win-rate of Melee's top 6 (or top 8 if you really want) to Smash 4's top 12 (or top 23 if you really want) then you'll see the real numbers are actually probably similar-ish if you section them off properly. Showing the top 10 of each game is a flawed way to display this list because Melee doesn't even have 10 characters you can use to good effect in top 64.

None of this takes saturation into account either. Bayonetta was released well into Smash 4's life, when people had already poured hundreds of hours into their mains, so overall there are still not as many Bayonetta players as there are players of other characters. If she was a day 1 choice, I'm confident we would see the same sort of usage numbers as Fox and Brawl MK if she maintained the strength she has today throughout the lifetime of the game. So it's hardly a fair comparison, imo. And yet, with fewer representatives, she STILL manages to top this chart with the other DLC character released late into the game. But yeah you're right, there's no problem here. /s
The reason why there are fewer representatives of Bayo at high level play doing any significant results, is because you need to repeatedly read opponent's DI/SDI in order to keep combos going or ladder them to the top. It takes top level reaction time and conditioning to do, and even then you aren't always guaranteed to do this.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
The reason why there are fewer representatives of Bayo at high level play doing any significant results, is because you need to repeatedly read opponent's DI/SDI in order to keep combos going or ladder them to the top. It takes top level reaction time and conditioning to do, and even then you aren't always guaranteed to do this.
one thing I noticed when looking at Bayonetta players is that their aren't many of them at a lower level of play

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
The charts list per-event instances of (winning) characters used, not sets. (As stated at the top) The numbers are over a magnitude off from counting sets, not sure how anyone could confuse them.

As for roster-size, this has zero bearing on representation-based measures of balance. A game with 2 characters and 1 viable does not get awards for amazing 50% representation. A game with 1000 characters is not stale if the top 64 is 64 different characters. Pichu being in Melee does not make Melee a competitively worse game.

If there are X characters used in tourney, there are X characters used in tourney. That is the amount of gameplay that competitors and viewers experience, end of story.
Anybody could confuse them because you are poorly explaining what the hell you're even measuring. Character placements (ie there were X amount of Bayonetta mains that placed top 64)? Why mention (winning) characters if you're not talking about winning sets? Is the point to show character saturation? Maybe the numbers are good and the English is just poor.

If it is to show how many placements those characters got in top 64, then that means that Cloud and Bayonetta a far and away the majority of matches you end up viewing (especially later in bracket as the weaker characters filter out) regardless. Just because Melee is primarily Fox dominant doesn't mean very much if the community enjoys watching and playing Fox. It's very obvious that the majority of the community does not enjoy either fighting or watching Bayonetta or Cloud. Just because Melee, with a far smaller roster, showcases less characters does not make it an inferior experience.

But anyway, what exactly is your point?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux

This is the quality content I subscribe for

Iridium

Smash Hero
So Mr. R was just as close as False and Marss to breaking the curse. Interesting. . . .

EMT~

Smash Cadet

Actually an excellent post.

I’ve never understood the hate with her but the love for Fox in Melee. He honestly killed a lot of fun for me in that game to where I just played PM instead since I got more variety there.

Still what works for some people and taste will differ a lot.
I want to take some time to address where the mob mentality comes from, from my perspective, since you and Thinkaman bring that issue up. I'll put it simply: people hate what they can't counterplay against.

Let's take a look at some different characters in Smash history and see how this concept applies:

:foxmelee:: Pretty much everything validates him as inarguably the best character in Melee, from theory to results. Even Thinkaman's post hows how absolutely dominant Fox is in the metagame, with double the success of the second-best character. But, not many people really hate him. It's arguable to say that people actually like him. So, what gives? Well, after 15 years of metagame development, knowledge in how to counterplay Fox has developed massively, to an almost-flowcharty point at times. For example, watch any Fox play against M2K's Marth on FD. Fox has flaws that can easily be counterplayed and taken advantage of. Mainly, he's combo food due to his combo weight, and his recovery can easily gimped at times. And, people know how to take advantage of these weaknesses. People know how to take advantage of his combo weight to deal massive damage to him on combos, and people know how to gimp his recovery. In short, people don't feel helpless fighting against Fox because they know how to fight him.

:jigglypuffmelee:: Jiggs' presence in the meta is basically carried by one player, and Puff's results are generally pretty weak compared to the top tiers for that reason. And yet, people absolutely hate his guts. Why? I would say this comes down to people not knowing how to fight Puff. How do you reliably handle his ledge camping? How do you reliably handle his tech traps? How do you reliably handle his BAir spacing? Not that counterplay hasn't been developed against Jiggs, but it's not nearly to the extent that Fox counterplay has been developed. For example, the traditional approach to Fox vs. Puff is to laser camp; but I've heard people questioning this approach to the MU. Basically, people don't know how to fight Jiggs, so people don't like her. Even Armada switched off Peach vs. Hungrybox because Peach counterplay against Puff is basically "Puff screws you; switch characters". And we all know how much Armada likes Puff.

:4bayonetta2:: I don't need to explain how much people hate Bayo. We all already know that. Now as for Bayo counterplay, what counterplay has been developed? The main thing counterplay developing against Bayonetta is SDI; but the reliability of that is questionable, especially when doing the correct SDI can get you killed. How does one counterplay Witch Time reliably? Grabs are a big one, but what about characters who have bad grabs/aren't grab-heavy? I know that old thought was that Bayo's neutral wasn't amazing, although I'm not sure how true that is. But, even if that's true, how do you take advantage of it? The point is that Bayo counterplay is, although developing, still unreliable; and I'm sure that's a big part of why people hate playing her. Because counterplay hasn't been developed so much for her, it's easy to feel helpless and frustrated playing against her.

Now, I don't think the mob mentality is justified. I don't like playing against Bayo myself, but the sheer hatred for her is misplaced and unjustified in my opinion. I just wanted to explain a possible cause for that hatred in the first place.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Actually an excellent post.

I want to take some time to address where the mob mentality comes from, from my perspective, since you and Thinkaman bring that issue up. I'll put it simply: people hate what they can't counterplay against.

Let's take a look at some different characters in Smash history and see how this concept applies:

:foxmelee:: Pretty much everything validates him as inarguably the best character in Melee, from theory to results. Even Thinkaman's post hows how absolutely dominant Fox is in the metagame, with double the success of the second-best character. But, not many people really hate him. It's arguable to say that people actually like him. So, what gives? Well, after 15 years of metagame development, knowledge in how to counterplay Fox has developed massively, to an almost-flowcharty point at times. For example, watch any Fox play against M2K's Marth on FD. Fox has flaws that can easily be counterplayed and taken advantage of. Mainly, he's combo food due to his combo weight, and his recovery can easily gimped at times. And, people know how to take advantage of these weaknesses. People know how to take advantage of his combo weight to deal massive damage to him on combos, and people know how to gimp his recovery. In short, people don't feel helpless fighting against Fox because they know how to fight him.

:jigglypuffmelee:: Jiggs' presence in the meta is basically carried by one player, and Puff's results are generally pretty weak compared to the top tiers for that reason. And yet, people absolutely hate his guts. Why? I would say this comes down to people not knowing how to fight Puff. How do you reliably handle his ledge camping? How do you reliably handle his tech traps? How do you reliably handle his BAir spacing? Not that counterplay hasn't been developed against Jiggs, but it's not nearly to the extent that Fox counterplay has been developed. For example, the traditional approach to Fox vs. Puff is to laser camp; but I've heard people questioning this approach to the MU. Basically, people don't know how to fight Jiggs, so people don't like her. Even Armada switched off Peach vs. Hungrybox because Peach counterplay against Puff is basically "Puff screws you; switch characters". And we all know how much Armada likes Puff.

:4bayonetta2:: I don't need to explain how much people hate Bayo. We all already know that. Now as for Bayo counterplay, what counterplay has been developed? The main thing counterplay developing against Bayonetta is SDI; but the reliability of that is questionable, especially when doing the correct SDI can get you killed. How does one counterplay Witch Time reliably? Grabs are a big one, but what about characters who have bad grabs/aren't grab-heavy? I know that old thought was that Bayo's neutral wasn't amazing, although I'm not sure how true that is. But, even if that's true, how do you take advantage of it? The point is that Bayo counterplay is, although developing, still unreliable; and I'm sure that's a big part of why people hate playing her. Because counterplay hasn't been developed so much for her, it's easy to feel helpless and frustrated playing against her.

Now, I don't think the mob mentality is justified. I don't like playing against Bayo myself, but the sheer hatred for her is misplaced and unjustified in my opinion. I just wanted to explain a possible cause for that hatred in the first place.
Bayo counterplay has developed to the point where only the top Bayo players are able to gather results worthy of the title of the best character of the game. Those players must to able to use creative options, successfully shift from offense to defense, and read the opponent's DI/SDI. Bayo's nuetral isn't too good because of her laggy grounded attacks and large frame.

Other than that, this post is pretty accurate. She is a frustrating character for many players to fight against, but this sheer hatred is indeed unjustified/misplaced.

Good thing that some people outside of this website does know that utilizing her at top level does require a lot of skill. I feel like that although sheer hatred does exist for this character, some people are starting to respect her players/the character, which is a good thing.:)

I am personally scared on what will happen for her in Smash Ultimate. She already received some nerfs, and Sakurai is most certainly removing her triple jump glitch, but the hatred for her might end getting her nerfed to the ground.

Iridium

Smash Hero
We should count the results of Master Sword Mondays here too! If we can, then I will.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
I am personally scared on what will happen for her in Smash Ultimate. She already received some nerfs, and Sakurai is most certainly removing her triple jump glitch, but the hatred for her might end getting her nerfed to the ground.
yeah I'm also scared to see how this will turn out just because mkleo got a combo on a player that doesn't play smash 4 with Ridley on a stage with a really small blast zone that Sakurai doesn't nerf her to the point of being completely useless I'm already scared of how Cloud will turn out Bayonetta already got a lot of nerfs so i hope that Sakurai doesn't list to the Bayonetta haters

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Bayonetta and Cloud will end up fine, just like MK and Diddy and Sheik and every other modern-era character not named Falco. If anything, I'm worried that the (extensive) Cloud nerfs won't be enough, because Cloud's core design is just that dang good for teams.

At any rate, speculation on Ultimate is off the beaten path for this topic. Master Sword Mondays is a good idea, then we'll call it a wrap.

Top Bottom