• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I Need Help Alternating Throwing" Topic

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,
I just started using IC's about 3 days ago and only learned today about the chain-grabs xD
I got a torny on saturday and if I get better with IC's then I may play as 'em.
I can do the regular dthow chaingrab no problem, however I can't do this "Alternating throws" that everyone here talks about.
I read the guides, but how do you get Nana to do the grab while you're still grabing?
I looked at some videos and it starts at 0% and in the end kills them =/
I really want to learn this before the torny on saturday.
Thanks guys =)

smashingme

Smash Cadet
cant figure out the backtrows but forward throw try pressing grab just by the time they said ey! and remember to slowly tilt forward so that nana walks to the front make sure that the next grabber is always a bit in front of you

gordon117

Smash Cadet
cant figure out the backtrows but forward throw try pressing grab just by the time they said ey! and remember to slowly tilt forward so that nana walks to the front make sure that the next grabber is always a bit in front of you
You are the first person to ever give an idea about WHEN to press grab for the IC CG, ty. A lot.

Sunaipa

Smash Rookie
Do alternate chaingrabs get harder on higher percentages? I find it harder to chain grab when they are on like 100% or so.

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do.
I can do it from 0% to like, 12% but thats it =/
Whenever I back throw, my Nana just trys to grab in the other direction, and whenever I forward throw my Nana walks too far out =(

smashingme

Smash Cadet
i remember someone saying backthrow is faster then the forward but from my experience its exactly the same try saying ey! in your head just like the forward trow not sure if this is right though didnt master the backtrowing yet

try using what i said about forward alter make sure your next grabber walks slowly 1 step infront of your holder if you got that right just repeat it your hands will automaticly adjust to the rythm in a while

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
this took me forever to learn... after a while it will just click though.... just work on it...

remember grab infinites are not necessary.... just rack up as much damage as possible...

also dont run in and grab all the time... any idiot would see through that...

gordon117

Smash Cadet
I have been practicing a bunch using the "ey!" method that smashingme described, it helps A LOT.

I just programed that sound into my head so that I know when to hit the button, try putting the game on 2/3 speed when you first try it, then bump it up to 1x, it helped me learn the timing on the sound bit to hit grab. Also, do you guys use Z-grab or Shield - A grab?

smashingme

Smash Cadet
z grab your first can be agrab since u counter the opponents attack that way i geuss.. also when you got it right try muting the sound u will notice that you can still do it at the same rate

gordon117

Smash Cadet
ah ha, no wonder i have been struggling so much with it sometimes, I have been trying to sheid grab it the whole time. LAWL

gordon117

Smash Cadet
Fairly yes, nana would just roll in that direction. I have been practicing with the Z grab today, and it is still giving me issues below like 50% idk why.

When they say "ey!" is that when you hit grab or is it a certain time after that? I can do it sometimes, but other times not so much. Might be my hands as well, I have broken all of my finger several times and they don't work like they used to.

luan87us

Smash Rookie
hmm I had the same problem with you gordon. I tried out IC and learned the Fthrow CG and i can only do it 2-3 times up to liek 25% and I can't do it like all the time only like 2 succeed out of 10 tries. I'm going to try the 2/3 speed and the "ey!" method to see how it goes.

smashingme

Smash Cadet
you really have to try letting the other ic walk slowly to the front not to much though but you know when it will work mostly of the time the more dmg your opponent has the bigger walk you have to make

luan87us

Smash Rookie
I kinda got this "Eh!" sync part in slowmotion but when i do 1x it seens i can't grab for more than 2 times T.T because popo would just run out too fast when i press Forward on the stick to do Fthrow. I did notice I have to press Grab again at a certain point right after they say "eh" and the higher dmg the enemy has the slower that timeline is right? Is there any other tip on it that I can take note on? Certain frame after I hit Forward? etc..? I somehow able to do the Bthrow->Fthrow combo now though i'm not perfect at it yet. I just figured out a rymth to do this. For people that trying to do it here what I use to do the make nana grab the enemy after popo bthrow. I would hit grab again not more than 1/4 of a sec after I hit Back on the stick then hit the analog stick in the same direction so nana would Fthrow then slowly let go of the stick and press grab again when the enemy about to hit the ground to grab it with popo then i just repeat =p. The timing and distance you have to move popo will be vary depend on enemy's health like smashingme said. Anyone want to practice with me online and share experiences PM me your MSN or FC so we can learn from each other =)

luan87us

Smash Rookie
if you just push the analog half way popo wont run out
oh i see thanks for the tip. Oh dude thanks for this tip. I've always tap the stick to throw. I'm able to CG Fthrow, and Bthrow->Fthrow/Dthrow now up to like 50%, though I'm not perfect =p still need more practices. I'm also trying the Bthrowes only CG which is Bthrow to nana then Bthrow and pivotgrab with Popo. How do you guys do your pivot grabs? I usualy press the direction then down+grab to do pivot grab but this become too hard when you're trying to CG lol.

Slush

Smash Cadet
try going off the yells, "hyaa (move and grab) hyaa (grab) etc."

Also, this is irrelavent, but ICs d-smash can sometimes do around 40, which gets pretty useful when you do it 3 times in a row :p

infomon

Smash Scientist
Might be my hands as well, I have broken all of my finger several times and they don't work like they used to.
:urg: dude.... uhm, you might want to talk to your doctor about that :urg:

they said ey!
We have proof that the ICs are Canadian :bee:

Also, this is irrelavent, but ICs d-smash can sometimes do around 40, which gets pretty useful when you do it 3 times in a row :p
Actually it can do up to 54% when fully charged. It's the most damaging Smash in the game. :psycho:
Only when both ICs are together though, and perfectly spaced... the Dsmash can hit up to 4 times. If it hits 3 then it'll do around 40, if it hits all 4 times you can do from about 50 to 54.

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
I dunno if this helps, it was a common mistake I made when I first started Alt. Grab.
Make sure Nana is not too far ahead / behind. I noticed from watching some videos that mine were farther away, but ever since I knew how to fix that I can Alt. Grab up to 40% =D

Lockdown106

Smash Rookie
Like Gordon, I'm new to chain throwing. After one night I was able to figure out a rudimentary way of doing it, and I am interested in learning better ways.

The only one I can do consistently is Popo d-throw into Nana f-throw repeates, and I suspect that this is the easiest way (or at least, the easiest way for me) until I learn something new. I worked it out in my head like this:

On the initial downthrow, you want Nana to grab almost immediately after PoPo makes impact, but it feels to me as if she is just a few frames slower than PoPo when receiving commands so I have to compensate for that. You also want to walk her just a little bit in front of him so she is positioned right. After she grabs following the downthrow, I TILT WALK Popo forward, which begins the forward throw by Nana and makes it so that I dont do a dash grab with Popo, but that I'm in the right position for the grab when it happens. Also, it seems to me as if chain throwing is just easier when it is time for PoPo to regrab them, maybe because you have slightly better control over him. I would like to note that to keep repeating this cycle, I felt as if I had to pummel them once when it was time for PoPo to throw again after Nana did because a pummel would bring her back to him when she was too far behind to grab them.

My main goal is to chain throw to the edge and end with the ridiculously broken Nana fair, which seems to be working well for me and easy to do. My only problems with getting to that point are these:

1. I can only keep chaining until about 50% or so at best, and sometimes I can't do it enough to chain from the middle of a stage like FD to the end of it.

and

2. I don't know how to turn my chain throw around, so I need to position myself accordingly facing the edge a certain distance away so that I can rack up enough dmg but that I'm not TOO far away that I won't get them to the edge with my limited abilities, but any opponent can read through this really easily and not get put in a position where I can use my nooby chain throwing techniques for the Nana-fair kill.

I would also like to agree with Gordon that this is one of the first places where I've seen someone give either a visual or audible clue as to when the next part of the chain should occur. The video guides on youtube, for the most part, are NOT helpful at all because all they say is "grab this way then that way then this way then they die lawlllz". If I want to get to the moon, don't tell me the obvious fact that I need a rocket ship, teach me the necessary and integral parts of ASSEMBLING a rocket ship to reach my destination.

Sorry for the bad metaphor. And I apologize if I'm missing similar threads that talk about when to do what. Can anyone else suggest easier, lesser skill level CT's to pick up for now until I get better?

gordon117

Smash Cadet
Lockdown, good to see you finally on smashboards for one. And two I agree with what you are saying.

I have found that the P dthrow and N fthrow is fairly easy as far as they go, at least for me as well.

smashingme

Smash Cadet
mm im able to f alternate until 100%-120.. make sure that on the higher % u walk a little bit further to and take your time doing it.. do it to fast and the ritmn is gone

Lockdown106

Smash Rookie
After playing around for another hour or so in training mode, I realize that this thread shouldn't exist. IC CG's remind me a lot of False Roman Cancels in Guilty Gear, in that you need to make your moves in a certain frame window but there is nothing your opponent can do so long as you have some practice and muscle memory. Looking at my previous posts, I wonder what the hell I was smoking, once you are able to learn when to link what throw it all becomes very easy, and is easily self-taught in a short amount of time.

Still, it was great to have help to break into the rhythms, and I still need help chaining on heavier characters, but I do realize now why there isn't more help on the forums, it's just not necessary. Anyone with any kind of desire and a free hour or two to practice can pick things up with ease.

On to de-syncing!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I use Popo-Bthrow, Nana-Dthrow on light characters..

But I suck at CG'ing heavy foes... any hints?

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
you really have to try letting the other ic walk slowly to the front not to much though but you know when it will work mostly of the time the more dmg your opponent has the bigger walk you have to make
When out of training mode when you let the Nana (Nana always grabs--for discussions sake), wll the grabbed opponent have time to wriggle free?

I've been trying, and can a fthrow + grab every so often--but usually Nana doesn't go far enough or somehting.. So playing at 1/3 speed helps? I'll try that out!

Also I found somehting that kinda works to rack up damage! May not be as good as other things but eh! It is this: grab, short hop, Blizzard
As your foe is being pounded to the ground they are also taking Nana's blizzard! Probably been used, accepted/denied as 'good', but eh!

Anyways I'm gonna keep trying the chain grabs!

ALSO--i there a down chain grab? (I'm fairly new to Advnced Ice Climbers play--I've been aware of desynching and whatnot but haven't really looked into it until now) What I mean is can you alternate climbers repeatingly downthrowing someone?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
With the Fthrow I like to Fthrow to Nana, then initial dash with Popo and let go. By the time Popo's initial dash is done, the character should JUST be flying out of nana's mittens. Press Grab then and you should catch them.

Miller

Smash Lord
We have proof that the ICs are Canadian :bee:
Thats why we play them ;)

Also, these threads piss me off. These threads are becoming the Cancer of this section. God dammit use the search function. In SEVERAL of my posts, I've explained this, so have many others.

Amide

Smash Lord
I do realize that that there are lots of topics about this, but so what? It's not like it's a crime to crowd up a little space here.

Miller

Smash Lord
I do realize that that there are lots of topics about this, but so what? It's not like it's a crime to crowd up a little space here.
Are you a moron, almost every thread is a "HOW DO I DO THIS" thread. Its already crowded. Dumb ***** just dont know how to use search

Top Bottom