• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The importance of Footstooling

Super Shadow Brawler 99

Smash Apprentice
This may already be up but, does anyone use this tactic anymore. I use it with Fox when I down A someone off the stage then footstool off their head to get back up. I know this move also works when trying to spike someone sometimes. I am still a novice, but trying to learn any new things involving footstooling.

bobson

Smash Lord
Footstooling is pretty largely underused in competitive play from what I've seen. Most people won't go for it without a setup like Kirby's/Fox's dair or Diddy's hump because they're afraid of getting uaired, but for characters with slow uairs it's not as big of a risk. Plus, if they airdodge or you miss, you just end up double jumping anyway.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It isn't as used as say, CGs, but it still has its uses in tons of combos and actually CGs themselves. Quite common ones I know of are Falco/Fox dair to footstool, ICs CGs, and Shiek's really crazy combo.

But yeah, people still use this, it isn't as if it is a completely useless.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Footstool = spike that doesn't risk killing you with TL

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Good Yoshis don't get foot-stooled...

How many times must we repeat this before people understand? =_=

EDIT: By the way, foot-stooling makes the Zero Suit Samus vs. R.O.B. match-up a joke. :laugh:

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
^

Wario's footstool makes me go: -_-

Bellioes

Smash Lord
All moves that have a hitbox below them and cancel momentum pretty much combo outve a footstool (many characters Dair, DKs ForwardB, Fox/Wolfs shine etc)
For the Fox Dair to footstool, dont they shine after the Dair now instead? I saw a vid on it and it seems a lot safer to me than the footstool.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
For ROB.
She has an infinite on him if she lands a footstool on him.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lolol the ZSS footstool infinite on rob is too lolz.

but yea i have had the most sexiest gimps with foot stools. other then that... its anoying as hell trying to dair over an opponenet but u get caught in some bull jump that makes u go sooooo high XD, on the hother hand u can use it to recover ftw

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Marth can sh footstool>dair and it will spike, kind of like Toon Link's. And a lot of characters have like lame combos out of footstool, probably 10 dairs (stall-then-fall or long range) work for this, and momentum-changing specials (Dolphin Slash, reflectors, Kirby's hammer) usually work as previously mentioned.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
The only time I footstool is by accident when mashing jump. Most people dont use it much because you have to physically touch the opponent's head, which a risky position, though it is a free spike that each character has and really should be valued more.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Most of the characters I play don't have a spike, so footstooling is my only spike-like option. It's also saved me from losing stock a couple of times.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
somebody get legan in here. He's a beeeeastly link main (best link) and he uses on stage footstool combos as a staple of his game. Its something I hadn't run into before and it can be pretty devastating. Especially if you have a down-air like links, or fall fast enough to get back to the stage and continue the chain.

Footstooling on stage is in my opinion a primary tactic for the future advancement of the metagame. People just have to get used to it, it's really weird.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Footstool is when you jump off their heads. Hardly counts as a spike since there isn't massive amounts of force.
He means Footstool -> Dair spike is guaranteed. Dair alone offstage is risky, but it's safer coupled with a footstool to position the opponent under you.

Don't u feel silly?

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
Don't u feel silly?
I guess he should.

Anyways, i love footstooling, catches people off-guard most of the times. And to do it to a yoshi, ooooh price-less, makes the dragon look like a real sucker! (xD no offence there yohsi mainers)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I use footstooling extremely often. Vs. King D3 when he is trying to jump to the ledge. If he only had one or two jumps left, then footstooling him forces him to upB with minimal mix-up options, resulting in the ability to edgeguard him further for massive damage. Sometimes I do this to Kirby too.

Vs. Lucario, when he clings to the wall out of UpB when I'm hogging the edge, I footstool him, and he falls down hopelessly, because it doesn't replenish his UpB. This is incredibly easy to execute on Yoshi's.

Vs. MK, and Pit (Charizard doesn't really try this), when he is gliding low to go underneath the stage, I drop from the edge and FOOTSTOOL THEM OUT OF GLIDE.

IN DOUBLES, WHEN MY PARTNER HOGS THE LEDGE, YOU CAN RUN OFF AND FOOTSTOOL THEM WHILE THEY ARE HANGING ON THE LEDGE. It essentially creates a much better edgeguard, as you get nearly double the height than if you were to jump off the ground, and still retain your second jump.

In doubles, I footstool my partner to give them mobility back while I can recover safely and guard them from danger. This is assuming my partner has a good recover (G&W, Snake, D3, Wario, and MK all can recover from a footstool reliably).

I have many more uses for footstool, this is a widely underused tactic.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
shieks got some nice things they can do from footstools. especially against like mk and rob but its hard to pull off at tournament lvl players

Top Bottom