• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the importance of spot dodging

Ghetto Fabulous

Smash Journeyman
So I was playing with omegablackmage the other day (REALLY good wario/gaw player) and I couldn't help notice how important spot dodging is in this game. Especially against characters like wario and dedede, their ability to spotdodge and jab/grab makes being near them extremely risky as the potential for punishment and the degree of the punishment that they can dish out is incredible.

So, I present this thread to talk about how and what pokemon trainer's best options are when in the face of the opponent. I, for one, am terrible at reading others spotdodges and recognizing the small nuances that make those situations end up in my favor, so hopefully we can all come up with some sort of solid framework for what to do with each of the pokemon.

Toby.

Smash Master
Ivysaurs upsmash can **** spotdodging if you time it right, but against characters with ridiculous spotdodges like wario, I think its often wiser to just jump on top of them and bullet seed. If we miss the upsmash we get *****, wheras **** is a little less likely during bullet seed.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
you guys doubt me

i think it's been established that i am uber pro with ivysaur

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Ivysaur usmash. Seriously, when you have an excuse to use this move, why would you go for anything else?...

All of their nairs also work against spotdodges, I believe.

:059:

Miles.

Smash Champion
That's not true.

Ivysaur upsmash hits on frame 26
Wario's spotdodge takes 25 frames, and jab hits on frame 8. 25+8=33
Lol get ***** G Fabby.

Also Zards Nair is really good at ****** spot dodges since it hits in the Z Axis.

Toby.

Smash Master
I cant vouch for GW, but squirtles ftilt does well against wario.

a) quick start and end time, so we can use it multiple times to catch the dodges.
b) good range and disjointed, keeping us out of harms way.
c) hits in the z-axis, meaning that it can actually HIT wario.

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
I think that Ivysaurs Bullet Seed is really nice. You just have to hit with the stream immediatly and not those two other hitboxes.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wario's nair is better, does the same job but doesnt leave him as open and can sometimes (?) chain into a grab

Top Bottom