• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Issue of Infinite Combos

SuSa

Banned via Administration
@Reflex

Under 50% you can probably mash extremely fast to break during a pummel and ground release. Also you may be able to SDI the dair.

Also Snake can grab release CG Squirtle, but its really hard.... I also need to test grab release > run off stage > second jump bair/uair/nair/dair to see which work... probably none of them, but it's worth testing.

Also I'm thinking a lot of chars that have poor grab releases (Bowser, Sheik, Ganon, Squirtle, Wolf, Falco, and a few others) may be able to get ***** by those who can force an air release off stage to a second jump aerial. I want to bring it up with boards but I'm too lazy.

Raimundo

Smash Apprentice
@Reflex

Also Snake can grab release CG Squirtle, but its really hard.... I also need to test grab release > run off stage > second jump bair/uair/nair/dair to see which work... probably none of them, but it's worth testing.

TBH, it's not worth testing. I can almost guess that all of Snake's aerials are more than likely to miss simply because you probably be lower than the stage. This will probably give Squirtle enough time to use whatever aerial he wants to get back on stage.

SuSa

TBH, it's not worth testing. I can almost guess that all of Snake's aerials are more than likely to miss simply because you probably be lower than the stage. This will probably give Squirtle enough time to use whatever aerial he wants to get back on stage.

1) The characters (MK is also included) gain control when they are about stage level

2) Second jumping is instant/lagless AFAIK

3) Now the only important thing is being able to run off stage > instant second jump > aerial

4) Most of Snake's aerials that I feel would be important to test allow him to easily recover with the cypher. Against people we have a guarenteed aerial (if any) it's a save recovery.

5) Bair may be able to KO... Nair can if they don't SDI out in time. Dair may if they suck, and Uair can as well.

6) I wouldn't only test Snake.. but EVERY character.....

Raimundo

Smash Apprentice

with the cypher. Against people we have a guarenteed aerial (if any) it's a save recovery.

5) Bair may be able to KO... Nair can if they don't SDI out in time. Dair may if they suck, and Uair can as well.

Uair is about the only one I think would kill (if a high %'s). Bair wouldn't kill unless they get hit in the opposite direction of where you usually go.

Charoo

Smash Champion
when they say standing infintie are ban at some tournaments, those that include pikachu down throw on fox and sheik that leads to 105% + usmash/nair/dsmash/etc.?

Krackatoa

Ottawa eSports Illuminati
guess you havent played many games unless they have mario cuz you are dumb!!!

stage bans aren't in normal fighting games either because they aren't big DUMMIES about how to play them.
I'm feeding the troll here...

Wikipedia's List of Games Containing Infinite Combos said:
((Trimmed for those only in the genre))

# Capcom vs. SNK 2
# Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
# Final Fight
# FX Fighter
# FX Fighter Turbo
# King of Fighters (most notably '97 and 2003)
# Mace: The Dark Age
# Marvel Super Heroes
# Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
# Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
# Marvel vs. Capcom 2
# Tekken 2 with Yoshimitsu & Kunimitsu
# Tekken 5 with Steve Fox
# Melty Blood series
# Mortal Kombat
# Mortal Kombat Trilogy
# Samurai Shodown II
# SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom
# Soul Calibur III – Only possible with Tira
# Street Fighter Alpha 3
# Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
# Street Fighter III
# Super Smash Bros.
# Super Smash Bros. Melee
# Super Smash Bros. Brawl
# Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
# X-Men: Children of the Atom
# X-Men vs. Street Fighter
And I'm sure there's more where that came from, as I hear a couple characters in Street Fighter IV have some 0-to-Deaths as well.

I don't really have a stance on Tourney rules, I'm fairly indifferent towards and will go along with whatever they come up with. I find using Infinites are kind of lame unless they're fairly hard to do but that's as far as my opinion goes. Frankly, I find it more interesting playing against people as Dedede without chaingrabbing... but that's only in friendlies.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
To tell you the truth, this is just like when I was younger and we got Soul Calibur 2. After like 2 months of having it, my sisters actually refused to play with me because I didn't let them hit me <.< They actually REFUSED to play me, because my Necrid would hit them, and hit them, and hit them, and they couldn't attack me, because they sucked.

Infinites are cheap, I mean, I'm not happy I have to CP a character other than Fox when I play Pika, and I don't think it's fair when I get CG'd from one side to the other by D3, but I use MK, and I believe the infinite cape shouldn't be banned, seeing it's just an exploited glitch, just like Snake's mortar slide. Infinites are cheap, but wouldn't you do whatever it took to win a few grand?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Aren't infinites banned? Tournaments I go to they are...well standing infinites which is the only real kind.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Aren't infinites banned? Tournaments I go to they are...well standing infinites which is the only real kind.
In individual tournaments they may be, but not in the official SBR ruleset.

How about whoever initiates a suicide move wins rather then playing sudden death?
WTF? Most of the rules are understandable, but that's just a ****ing joke.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick note from the OP's opinion:
I don't think Brawl has become focused on ICs. However, I fear that it may be in the future. Even though all the ICs so far (with a few exceptions) are highly technical and situational, I don't like the idea of them becoming so potent that they dominate gameplay. Although that may seem stupid, given that tactics of all sorts become the central idea for choosing a character (locks, effective chains, projectile spams), ICs have different properties in Smash than other games. In a normal HP based game, an IC is an instant win; in Smash it's one stock, limiting their power. The problem I see is that it could be used as a stall (as SuSa mentioned) or that matches will degenerate into two characters with infinites using them on each other exclusively, leading to a non-interactive fight. That's still a ways off, though, and it may never happen. Basically, I just wanted to see what the general feeling was on their use and existance.

The idea that ICs be limited to certain damage is an interesting thought, but who would decide what that damage is? 300% means it's almost an instant kill, but a lower number would render them totally useless and may damage that character's playability. I'm not an expert on how the current ICs are used, but if they decide a matchup and they are weakened, a character may become less viable at the cost of a generally less useful character gaining 10% in a matchup that's already 80-20. We shouldn't expect Brawl to have a huge amount of useful characters, and ICs may serve to limit that, but an IC that serves as a perfect counterpick seems unfair. That isn't to say that normal, non-IC tactics don't exist that can break a matchup, but the non-interactivity and stall potential in that matchup becomes dangerous.

My example is this: What if we suddenly discovered that Captain Falcon has an infinite on Snake? That would make CF a better match against Snake, and he may be used as a counter there. That's fine, and we have seen similar situations arise and be highly effective simply because one character breaks another. What I would not like to see is CF abusing that combo to get one kill, and then using it as a stall to win. That's not a real fight.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
What about how you pick your character? (Counterpicking/Double Blind)
What about 3 stock, 8 minute timer, friendly fire ON for teams, 1vs1 or 2vs2 never 1vs3 or 1vs2 (unless 1 player is knocked out in a 2vs2)

How about whoever initiates a suicide move wins rather then playing sudden death?

How about % and stock to determine winner in case of sudden death? (except for above rule)

...<_<
My god.

Look at all those!

Well, then, adding a simple "No Infinites" rule really wouldn't be too out of the ordinary then, right? I mean, if that was what the community preferred.

Oh, wait. I forgot.

Play to win.

But not if that involves picking stages with walk-offs so you can throw or chain someone off. That's lame.

But infinites. Nah. That's cool.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
But not if that involves picking stages with walk-offs so you can throw or chain someone off. That's lame.

Yeah, infinites are fine. What has happened so far that warrants them to be banned?

Oh wait...nothing. (talking about the new, supposed infinites and ICs)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Yeah, infinites are fine. What has happened so far that warrants them to be banned?

Oh wait...nothing.
This guy (or girl) is right. Walk-off stages can mean unfair advantages for more than just D3. Any character with a FThrow chaingrab (or even a FThrow with decent knockback) can pressure off the sides very easily.

Infinites eiter are very situational (King Dedede), or there are several ways to get around them (Ice Climbers). To illustrate the point futher, let's get away from D3 and the ICs and look at another infinite: Wario vs Bowser. By buffering the turnaround grab on DThrow, Wario can chaingrab Bowser to well over 100%. He can also chaingrab Wolf, Falco and one or two others to high percents. The reason why this isn't banned is because it only affetcs a handful of characters, thus making it very situational. Same with Sheik's FTilt lock to USmash kill and ZSS' DSmash infinite on ROB. IMO, for an infinite to even be considered for banning, it has to shutdown AT LEAST ten characters, and it has to be a case where it's almost impossible to avoid.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Arbitrary numbers are stupid. So if something dedede's 9 characters, it's fine and dandy, but if it's 10 it's suddenly broken?

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I don't like D3 infinites because I main Luigi, but that doesn't mean they need to be banned because they make 3 garbage characters even worse and give 2 decent characters a bad matchup.

NNID
Budget_Player
You're missing the point: DeDeDe's infinite isn't imbalanced. Therefore it shouldn't be banned. Therefore those who want it banned want it banned because it is inconvenient.
You have me there. But when 5 characters that I enjoy playing get completely shut down by a person spamming Dthrow, I think I have a right to call cheap/inconvenient.

You can't argue that me (or anyone) wanting DeDeDe's infinite to stay is because it would be "inconvenient for it to go", because it's already in the game, and there isn't a reason to remove it.
IDC

Furthermore, there is a very real argument AGAINST banning infinites, and not a single argument FOR banning infinites that holds any salt whatsoever. The only argument that you (and anyone) has is that it is inconvenient. The fact that it makes Samus nonviable against DeDeDe isn't an imbalance. It's an inconvenience. That's called matchups. Learn to Counter Pick.
Expanding the metagame. DDD has an 80-20 or 90-10 matchup against 5 chars. Sure, some (mario, Samus) may suck anyways (I'm not hating, I play both Samus and Mario) and have terrible matchups anyways, but the others are actually decent to good (DK could be A or B tier). Now, save for luigi, they all already have a ****ty matchup against DDD. So why make the matchup so much worse? And also, why should any noob who knows SSBB physics be able to practice for an hour and then beat people who main those chars with DDD? That's not counterpicking, that's anal ****.

Very, very few things in Brawl are "ban worthy". If you want to rampantly change the game to suite your needs as the type of person who cannot learn to overcome such obstacles, play Brawl+ or something.
Oh god, I'd love to.

Let me get this straight.

DDD having an infinite on DK is simply an inconvenience for DK. But banning infinites would be an imbalance for DDD?

If it's not an imbalance to DDD to ban infinites but simply an inconvenience, then there's no real argument against banning infinites and there would be increased character viability by doing so -- which is a positive result.

Edit: Guess I ought to complete my point. Here goes: If you consider it an imbalance to ban an infinite but only an inconvenience to allow it when the match is advantaged to the character with the infinite either way, then it does look a lot like character bias clouding your judgment.
This is pretty much what I think to a lot of what's going on.

DDDs Infinite is vs. ~5 Characters
DDDs CG works vs. ~20 Characters
DDD can not CG vs. ~10 Characters

If we change the Match-Up vs. infinited characters more to them, than it would be unfair that DDD is handicaped vs. some characters, while other characters dont get anything from the ban. For example I'm Snake Mainer. DDD infinites are banned, and I think: "OH COOL DKs have now one less disadventage vs. DDD because of a rule. I also want to loose one disadventage vs. DDD. This would be fair". If we ban all CGs, what do the non-CGable character gain from this ban ? Nothing. This is why I think, that only global techniques(infinites should be banned and not match-up-dependent stuff.
The infinites are inherently broken. The normal CGs are merely a powerful tool that will rack damage (25%?). The standing infinites (and to an extend the short step CGs) will take an entire stock barring things stage changes.

On a side-note. I'm wondering why everyone is always discussing DDDs Infinits.
DDD is top tier either way and his infinite is pathetically easy to perform.
No one ever talks about how Pika destroys Fox and Shiek, or how ZSS have a Infinit on Fox and Rob.
I'll give you that.

And I dont know what the problem is about the infinites. Why do people say it's boring to watch ? When the player knows what the other character can do against him he gives his best to avoid this, you can believe me, this is at least for the player very dramatic since he most play very carefully. And this gives the match his charm. Anyway it's stupid to play with DK vs. DDD and I can agree that the infinite itself is boring but the time before is very exciting (For me...).

And another thing is, that the best two characters dont have any infinite on another character, so dont care that much about this stuff :) ^^
Try playing DK (or Mario, Samus, Bowser, or Luigi) against DDD, and you'll understand where we're coming from a little better.

No, it is not. An increased number of viable characters would be desirable, yes. DeDeDe/CG's isn't the only problem, however. Pretty much all nonviable characters are nonviable to begin with.
Luigi and DK.

DK is still tournament viable, even with DeDeDe's infinite. You just have to use double blinds and CP accordingly. Plus, as I stated earlier, the infinite is not all that ruins the matchup between these two.
Then why allow it if it's skewed for him either way?

Bowser, Samus, and Mario are barely viable at best, regardless of DeDeDe's existence.

Luigi is the ONLY character who DeDeDe "stops cold" SPECIFICALLY because of the infinite, since he has a very 50/50 matchup against D3 without the infinite.

You are arguing the difference of ONE character, a character that is still very viable with D3's existence, and can still survive roughly the same by use of CPs and double blinds, just like DK.
Not really. Lemme explain. If you main DK, you know that any idiot can CP DDD and infinite you. I picked it up on the second try (the infinite). So are you going to bring DK to a tournament with double blinds? No, of course not! At least not round one. Maybe round two, but if you're known for doing that, then people will CP DDD.

Uh, I approve of King D3's infinite mainly because it isn't universal. I have more combos with Marth on DK than I do on other characters, because of the nature of DK. Does that mean I should ban my combos because I can only do it on DK? Not at all. D3 is the same way, it just happens that his infinite is skill-less and results in a stock. Marth has 0 death combos on Squirtle and the Spacies, and to ban those would be dumb. It's called a bad match-up, and it happens. Learn a different character. IMO you shouldn't ban a match-up specific tactic just so that people can play a character that gets ***** in that match-up. You can still play DK R1 if you want too, or counter-pick with him. In a tourney, why would we limit what the opponent's character is capable of doing? That would be like saying, "Oh, Jigglypuff's shield breaks and she instantly dies, so Marth shouldn't be allowed to use Shieldbreaker on Jigglypuff, because it's not fair that it's not safe for Jigglypuff to shield." Dumb argument.
Correct. A throw is a different start because you can't block it. If you're anywhere near DDD when the throw starts, you're ****ed. The spacies/squirtle can airdodge or block the first hit and go from there.

Now, Ice Climbers are more debatable IMO, because their grabs are not match-up dependant at all. Once you master the chaingrab, it's one grab, one stock. This could be considered broken, but as previously stated, Ice Climbers are not dominating the metagame. Metaknight should be banned before the Ice Climbers, and I don't think MK should be banned at all. Every game has a best character. Metaknight isn't unbeatable, he's just the best. If you look at ANY competative fighting game, there is almost always a best character, and this best character will win most of the time. Everyone has the option of using the best character. If we ban him, then Snake will be the best character, and the problem resets. Marth players like myself will still be screwed, because everyone who proceeds to learn Snake will still beat Marth, and to be honest, I'd rather fight a bracket full of MK than Snake (though that's probably due to the experience ratio).
The IC ICG is not broken because you can separate nana and they don't have the most absurd grab range in the game.

But to get back on topic, Ice Climbers essentially have a really powerful OHKO move. However, it is avoidable. Just play a character with a realistic match-up against ICs, preferably someone with a sword. MK is still more broken, and wins much more, so I don't think any infinite should be banned. Something that can compete with the war machine known as MetaKnight shouldn't be banned., unless it's proven to be even more broken than MK and impossible to compete with.

"If it's not an imbalance to DDD to ban infinites but simply an inconvenience, then there's no real argument against banning infinites and there would be increased character viability by doing so -- which is a positive result."

Okay, I could ban Marth's Fair, so Mario could fight him pretty well, but that would be stupid. Banning character options so that they do worst against a character is bad.
Terrible comparison. Shield/Airdodge.

As for Shiek or Pikachu? Sheik's supposedly can be escaped. Pikachu's? Maybe maybe not. What I said for ICs goes for Pikachu too. Furthermore, neither of the tactics these characters have are infinites. They are combo loops that have definite limits, and probably won't even KO the heavier characters (although Pikachu has chaingrabs on lots of people, and Shiek has Ftilt look) regardless, largely damaging combos isn't exactly a reason to ban a tactic.
You know that is a TERRIBLE analogy right? Removing Marth's FAir cripples Marth.

I'm not getting into this argument again so that's all I'm going to say.
Pretty much.

Pierced said that "baning a move just to improve a MU is unfair and bla".

So just soem notes:

First, it isnt one matchup, there are actually 5 in wich the infinite is a hard counter. And you said about "marth fair". You see, you cant really combo a fair to a fair to a fair untill 300% like you can with a grab, and even the fair is just a good move, wich can possibly be avoided, whereas a grab it's kinda harder.

But w/e, people wont ban the infinites even it its proven worthy, so it isnt a big deal to debate about it =/.
Agree on everything in this post except the last part. It can and should happen.

I think that infinites should not be banned but should be put on a limit like maybe 10 regrabs or more/less.
10 Dthrows is between 50 and 100 damage for the opponent. Still a lot. On the D3CG: Force a running CG. On IC: **** it, 10 should work there because if you can pull that move of, you earned it.

Infinites aren't a big problem...
It is for me. They may not be severely affecting tournament results, but then wouldn't it make no difference if we did ban them to anyone except the people eating **** right now?

Can you guys stop calling each other idiots, please? It contributes nothing to the discussion, and is completely and utterly pointless.

On topic, infinites will never get banned, because they weren't banned in Melee either. In Melee, the Ice Climbers had infinite chaingrabs just like in Brawl, and there were a number of 0-death combos that Fox had, but they didn't ban them because they required skill to use and didn't completely break the game. Dedede having an infinite on 5 characters isn't enough to ban it at all. If it was on half the cast, that might make it worth considering, but at its current level it's not worth it at all. No infinite truly breaks the game here, and anything else that does break it will be banned accordingly (i.e. IDC).
Skill is a difference.

You are the first person I've seen to bring up situational difficulty.

As a friend put it:

"You can get around the ICCG's by simply removing Nana or hitting her far enough away to allow you to escape. For D3, what do you do? Unplug your opponents controller?"

Good point has been brought up.

But D3's infinite has still yet to be over-centralizing.
Overcentralizing is not the issue here! I know, a lot of you have this mindset, "It can't be banned unless it overcentralizes the metagame." But what about instead of overcentralizing, it just shuts down parts of the metagame? What then? When does it end, when DDD renders 10 chars completely useless? When he renders a char which is otherwise good totally useless?
Or another thing against it. If anyone here plays magic, there's a card called Sensei's Divining Top. It's a good card-in fact, a really good card. Broken? No. But what it does is annoying-you can look at the top cards of your deck and rearrange them. A lot of people used this effect a lot. And it got banned in one of the three formats it was legal in because people were sick of the opponent going "Look at the top three cards of my deck in response to that" in response to EVERYTHING. It was annoying as ****. And it dragged on and on...

Oh wait...nothing. (talking about the new, supposed infinites and ICs)
See my above points.

Looks like this is the new thing infinites or no infinites
BAN METAKNIGHT!!!1!!one!!!eleven!

This

These infinites do not shut down characters to the extent that they become unplayable, and with correct spacing they can be avoided.
I believe it was a DDD main who said, "Try playing me without getting grabbed 10 times". DDD is incredibly defensive and has a massive grab range. That alone means he's gonna get a lot of grabs.

Okay, I admit, I'm biased. I'm not going into the other infinites other than DDD and IC because I don't know enough about them to make any kind of statement (AKA: *me reads thread, me sez: "ZSS has an infinite on ROB and the spacies?"*). I main Luigi, Snake, and Bowser, secondary DK, Samus, and want to pick up Mario. So yeah, there's character bias in there. But the idea of forcing DDD to do a running CG instead of a standing or walking one would be enough, IMO, to get the anti-infinites to shut up about DDD. You guys still have your brutal matchups against DK, Bowser, Mario, and Samus, we don't have completely interactive games against DDD, and what do you lose? A majorly unfair, uninteractive tactic that forces people away from the characters in question. And a running CG on DK on FD is still a lot of damage. ;)

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
If we were playing how Sakurai wanted we would be playing on Spear Pillar with items on high.

Who cares what the creators want?
Not quite what I meant. What I'm saying there is that the game could change from being based in fast-moving, dynamic gameplay into endless chains resulting in a kill every time. The core of the gameplay would change, not the trappings like stages or item use.

Of course, most fighting games eventually deviate from the original core gameplay mechanic, and once that happens there's no going back. I just want to see Smash keep being unique and not becoming another game requiring rote memorization of a sure-fire kill combo. Some would argue that's already happened in the past, but this would be a much more dramatic version of Melee's combo based gameplay. Anything could be the end of you if you get hit with the start of these combos.

salaboB

Smash Champion
This guy (or girl) is right. Walk-off stages can mean unfair advantages for more than just D3. Any character with a FThrow chaingrab (or even a FThrow with decent knockback) can pressure off the sides very easily.

Infinites eiter are very situational (King Dedede), or there are several ways to get around them (Ice Climbers). To illustrate the point futher, let's get away from D3 and the ICs and look at another infinite: Wario vs Bowser. By buffering the turnaround grab on DThrow, Wario can chaingrab Bowser to well over 100%. He can also chaingrab Wolf, Falco and one or two others to high percents. The reason why this isn't banned is because it only affetcs a handful of characters, thus making it very situational. Same with Sheik's FTilt lock to USmash kill and ZSS' DSmash infinite on ROB. IMO, for an infinite to even be considered for banning, it has to shutdown AT LEAST ten characters, and it has to be a case where it's almost impossible to avoid.
DDD's infinite is not that situational. Comparing it to walk-off stages is quite good imo.

As for your arbitrary value -- 10 characters. That's less than 1/3 of the cast, how do you justify it? Why not 50%? 75%?

If a maneuver is a problem, it's a problem no matter how many characters it impacts.

Also, DDD's infinite is imbalanced - it makes every matchup that it's usable in effectively unwinnable for DDD's opponent (80:20 or worse). The fact that even without it DDD is still advantaged in each of the matchups only further proves my point that it's imbalanced in DDD's favor to allow the infinite. Note I'm not discussing DDD's chaingrab here, because that doesn't cause the same issues for matchups that DDD's infinite does (It falls more in line with the IC's infinite).

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Look at Smash 64-Everyone has 0-deaths. Yet that game is still quite awesome and not anything close to what I would call a 'generic fighter'.
This apocalypse of infinities you speak of has already happened- Isai's motto is, in fact, "Don't get hit"
Of course, its a lot more frustrating when you know you're dead and you can't do a darned thing about it, but that's just how that game goes.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Not quite what I meant. What I'm saying there is that the game could change from being based in fast-moving, dynamic gameplay into endless chains resulting in a kill every time. The core of the gameplay would change, not the trappings like stages or item use.

Of course, most fighting games eventually deviate from the original core gameplay mechanic, and once that happens there's no going back. I just want to see Smash keep being unique and not becoming another game requiring rote memorization of a sure-fire kill combo. Some would argue that's already happened in the past, but this would be a much more dramatic version of Melee's combo based gameplay. Anything could be the end of you if you get hit with the start of these combos.
Just because you don't want Smash to be generic you think infinites should be banned?

That's just about the worst justification for banning infinites that I've ever heard.

Let the metagame fluctuate and expand on its own, don't try to shape it.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
You have me there. But when 5 characters that I enjoy playing get completely shut down by a person spamming Dthrow, I think I have a right to call cheap/inconvenient.
It doesen't matter if its inconvenient, its not banworthy

Expanding the metagame. DDD has an 80-20 or 90-10 matchup against 5 chars. Sure, some (mario, Samus) may suck anyways (I'm not hating, I play both Samus and Mario) and have terrible matchups anyways, but the others are actually decent to good (DK could be A or B tier). Now, save for luigi, they all already have a ****ty matchup against DDD. So why make the matchup so much worse? And also, why should any noob who knows SSBB physics be able to practice for an hour and then beat people who main those chars with DDD? That's not counterpicking, that's anal ****.
No, counterpicking is pretty much exactly what it is, learning to play a character in order to counter another character. And what is with this 'Why make the matchup so much worse'?
We're not making the matchup worse, thats what the matchup is, you're trying to limit d3s options to make the matchup better, much like pierce's example of removing marths FAir to make the marth-mario matchup better

Oh god, I'd love to.
This is pretty much what I think to a lot of what's going on.
Then why don't you/this has already been responded to.
I don't know why i even responded to these, they were just inane to begin with

The infinites are inherently broken. The normal CGs are merely a powerful tool that will rack damage (25%?). The standing infinites (and to an extend the short step CGs) will take an entire stock barring things stage changes.
DDD is top tier either way and his infinite is pathetically easy to perform.
Inherently broken? How so? And if they are why aren't ICs or Pikas? Again, if it can be done someone will master it. You people seem to be overestimating the difficulty of the chaingrabs, anyway, they aren't all that hard to perform.

Try playing DK (or Mario, Samus, Bowser, or Luigi) against DDD, and you'll understand where we're coming from a little better.
I play yoshi, lets ban snakes up tilt. If you can't handle the matchup, learn another character that fares better, thats what the counterpick system and double blinds exist for.

Luigi and DK.
Are why he said 'pretty much'. Whats your point?

Then why allow it if it's skewed for him either way?
Why wouldn't we allow it? It's not like we're adding new infinites into the game, they were already there.

Not really. Lemme explain. If you main DK, you know that any idiot can CP DDD and infinite you. I picked it up on the second try (the infinite). So are you going to bring DK to a tournament with double blinds? No, of course not! At least not round one. Maybe round two, but if you're known for doing that, then people will CP DDD.
Are you sure you know what a double blind is? They cant counterpick your donkey kong if they don't know you're using donkey kong, if you win round one switch off dk if you're worried about them counterpicking d3, then you have your choice to counterpick for round 3 even if you lose. Or dont pick d3 round 1 if you are scared of them maining d3, and only pick d3 if you lose and they pick not d3

Correct. A throw is a different start because you can't block it. If you're anywhere near DDD when the throw starts, you're ****ed. The spacies/squirtle can airdodge or block the first hit and go from there.

Terrible comparison. Shield/Airdodge.
A grab is a different start because its a GRAB with all the things that a grab entails, you can't use it in the air, you can spot dodge it, it has limited range, it's stationary(With the exception of dash grabs, which d3s isn't that great anyway)
Just as you can shield a FAir, you can still spotdodge or airdodge a grab and punish it, and its not melee where you could get grabbed from arbitrary distances away by ness, you also have the option of learning to space

10 Dthrows is between 50 and 100 damage for the opponent. Still a lot. On the D3CG: Force a running CG. On IC: **** it, 10 should work there because if you can pull that move of, you earned it.
Skill is a difference.
Naucitos said:
And if they are why aren't ICs or Pikas? Again, if it can be done someone will master it. You people seem to be overestimating the difficulty of the chaingrabs, anyway, they aren't all that hard to perform.
It is for me. They may not be severely affecting tournament results, but then wouldn't it make no difference if we did ban them to anyone except the people eating **** right now?
It is for you because you refuse to play one of those many other characters you claim to play when you need to fight a d3.

Overcentralizing is not the issue here! I know, a lot of you have this mindset, "It can't be banned unless it overcentralizes the metagame." But what about instead of overcentralizing, it just shuts down parts of the metagame? What then? When does it end, when DDD renders 10 chars completely useless? When he renders a char which is otherwise good totally useless?
He doesen't render any characters useless, you can still counterpick with those characters perfectly fine, he has good matchups, d3 is a good counterpick against the characters he infinites, thats all there is to it, losing to one character doesen't make another useless. You'd be better off arguing the multiple infinites on wario, but hes still top tier, odd isn't it?[/quote]

Or another thing against it. If anyone here plays magic, there's a card called Sensei's Divining Top. It's a good card-in fact, a really good card. Broken? No. But what it does is annoying-you can look at the top cards of your deck and rearrange them. A lot of people used this effect a lot. And it got banned in one of the three formats it was legal in because people were sick of the opponent going "Look at the top three cards of my deck in response to that" in response to EVERYTHING. It was annoying as ****. And it dragged on and on...
I'm glad that i DO play MTG so that i can point out how wrong this is. You really have no idea what you are talking about, it wasn't banned because its annoying, it was banned because in the extended format it was banned it, (Does anyone want to guess?) It OVERCENTRALIZED THE GAME! It was an extremely useful, cheap card, that fit in almost every deck with no restrictions, it was being used everywhere because it was such a small utility card that gave everyone more versatility, there were very few cases where it wasn't beneficial to have at least one in your deck. Figure out what you're talking about before you try to make examples from other games, which are rarely relevant anyway.

See my above points.

BAN METAKNIGHT!!!1!!one!!!eleven!

I believe it was a DDD main who said, "Try playing me without getting grabbed 10 times". DDD is incredibly defensive and has a massive grab range. That alone means he's gonna get a lot of grabs.
What did that story have to do with anything? Regardless, most characters can outcamp him, his waddledees aren't that good for camping and his grab range isn't as long as you seem to think, its just longer than most other grabs.

Okay, I admit, I'm biased. I'm not going into the other infinites other than DDD and IC because I don't know enough about them to make any kind of statement (AKA: *me reads thread, me sez: "ZSS has an infinite on ROB and the spacies?"*). I main Luigi, Snake, and Bowser, secondary DK, Samus, and want to pick up Mario. So yeah, there's character bias in there. But the idea of forcing DDD to do a running CG instead of a standing or walking one would be enough, IMO, to get the anti-infinites to shut up about DDD. You guys still have your brutal matchups against DK, Bowser, Mario, and Samus, we don't have completely interactive games against DDD, and what do you lose? A majorly unfair, uninteractive tactic that forces people away from the characters in question. And a running CG on DK on FD is still a lot of damage. ;)
I'd much prefer you counterpicked snake or bowser against me if i went d3 than played the 'unfair, uninteractive' match as mario or dk, but if you chose them i wouldn't hesitate to infinite you if i was d3.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
I'd much prefer you counterpicked snake or bowser against me if i went d3 than played the 'unfair, uninteractive' match as mario or dk, but if you chose them i wouldn't hesitate to infinite you if i was d3.
...Bowser gets infinited too. Why in the world would you CP Bowser against D3? Am I missing something?

salaboB

Smash Champion
Inherently broken? How so? And if they are why aren't ICs or Pikas? Again, if it can be done someone will master it. You people seem to be overestimating the difficulty of the chaingrabs, anyway, they aren't all that hard to perform.
You're using difficulty to perform as if it somehow makes difficulty to set up not exist.

DDD has to grab the opponent on a flat section of stage. He has a massive grab range, and no extra requirements for him to set up this grab. He may then do his infinite (Begin technical ability.)

The IC player has to grab the opponent on a flat section of stage. Nana must be nearby, and set up to perform the infinite. Additionally the ICs have a short grab range. The ICs may then do their infinite (Begin technical ability.)

The setup before the technical ability part is what makes DDD's infinite bannable while the IC one isn't, because it's what makes DDD's break matchups while the IC one only brings the IC's into competitive viability. Note that no part of this cares about the technical ability to perform the chain grab, that can be 100% flawless and it doesn't change a thing.

SuSa

In individual tournaments they may be, but not in the official SBR ruleset.

WTF? Most of the rules are understandable, but that's just a ****ing joke.
I believe it is that way because the win/loss is decided by ports and saying "you can only win if you have the higher port" would cause way to many arguments over ports and other stupid bull**** that doesn't really matter.... (EG: Bowser and Snake would ALWAYS fight over who gets the higher port... Snake needs it to escape the grab release stuff, and Bowser 'would' need it to be able to win with a suicide)

My god.

Look at all those!

Well, then, adding a simple "No Infinites" rule really wouldn't be too out of the ordinary then, right? I mean, if that was what the community preferred.

Oh, wait. I forgot.

Play to win.

Yes, let's allow walk off stages that would over centralize the game. It would turn into "if you can't CG your opponent to their death from a walk off all 3 stocks with 1 grab then you lose" and I know for ****ed sure I'd play D3 every single counterpick by opponent had so if they picked a walk off, the game would be "whoever gets 3 grabs wins first"

Or you could be what... one of the 10 characters he can't CG? What if you don't play those 10? Do you basically auto-lose because of a stage?

Also banning a stage is far easier then banning the tactic.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Or you could be what... one of the 10 characters he can't CG? What if you don't play those 10? Do you basically auto-lose because of a stage?
Well, you currently just don't play one of the 5 he can infinite. How is this so much worse? How does it restrict DDD's viability to ban his infinite (But not his cg)?

The problem is that it's a pointless limitation of viable characters in both cases, but you're in favor of one and against the other with nothing more than personal preference supporting your view.

SuSa

Well, you currently just don't play one of the 5 he can infinite. How is this so much worse? How does it restrict DDD's viability to ban his infinite (But not his cg)?

The problem is that it's a pointless limitation of viable characters in both cases, but you're in favor of one and against the other with nothing more than personal preference supporting your view.
No, the fact is him being able to CG 2/3rds of the cast to their death no matter what on a stage is completely over-centralizing.

That's a "You go D3 or you will lose" situation. Notice how I said D3 and not "change your character"

Sure, you could be one of the 10 characters he can't chaingrab. But then he just doesn't choose a walk-off stage. Also what if you don't play any of those 10 characters? That is basically giving D3 an auto-win.

It is not personal preference. IC's can infinite the entire cast so why is D3's little 5 so much more important? The only scenario that would make his "banworthy" is the fact that if you remove Nana - the IC's can't infinite. While there is nothing you can do to D3 to remove his infinite.

However - even with the infinite - it is not over-centralizing the game to where "infinite or you lose"

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
There's no universal rule on it, and that's why I brought this up. Of course, the SBR would be the place to get answers, but we commoners can't make them look at issues.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
....Why does this need to be discussed, exactly? Ban the walkoff stages that let D3 infinite to the blast line, and have a counter pick that covers the matchup. It's that simple, people. :/

salaboB

Smash Champion
No, the fact is him being able to CG 2/3rds of the cast to their death no matter what on a stage is completely over-centralizing.

That's a "You go D3 or you will lose" situation. Notice how I said D3 and not "change your character"

Sure, you could be one of the 10 characters he can't chaingrab. But then he just doesn't choose a walk-off stage. Also what if you don't play any of those 10 characters? That is basically giving D3 an auto-win.
If D3 has issues with any of the characters he can't cg, then they'll be able to break his hold on the game and their counters as well will be playable. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be significantly different than what we currently have for number of viable characters.

It is not personal preference. IC's can infinite the entire cast so why is D3's little 5 so much more important? The only scenario that would make his "banworthy" is the fact that if you remove Nana - the IC's can't infinite. While there is nothing you can do to D3 to remove his infinite.
Situational difficulty - the IC infinite is far harder to get the situation you need to utilize it. Due to this, it doesn't break the matchups. DDD's does. This is like saying "Bowser has a grab release infinite on MK so he counters MK" -- he doesn't, because it's too situationally difficult (Bowser has to get that grab in the first place, and while he's trying to do so MK is getting his shots in.) This must not be confused with technical difficulty.
However - even with the infinite - it is not over-centralizing the game to where "infinite or you lose"
Allowing a walk off stage will not make it "DDD or lose" but they are still banned.

salaboB

Smash Champion
You're right, it makes it:
"10 characters and DeDeDe are now viable kthxbai"
If those 10 characters are actually used, then their counters will be used (Especially if they're vulnerable to characters that can also do decently against DDD, just aren't as good as the 10 that can't be cg'ed or have their own ways of getting people off the walkoff. There are characters that can take advantage of it other than just DDD)

Btw - you say "10 characters + DDD are viable" like it's a huge reduction in number of choices. How many are currently tournament viable? Realistically.

SuSa

If those 10 characters are actually used, then their counters will be used (Especially if they're vulnerable to characters that can also do decently against DDD, just aren't as good as the 10 that can't be cg'ed or have their own ways of getting people off the walkoff. There are characters that can take advantage of it other than just DDD)

Btw - you say "10 characters + DDD are viable" like it's a huge reduction in number of choices. How many are currently tournament viable? Realistically.
Based off these results:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

I'd say about 24, with some that are just underused. So probably realisticly 26.

24 reduced to 11 is pretty bad. That's more then a 50% reduction in viable characters. Also out of those 11, it could be argued a few of them are already non-viable anyways. So realisticly, it's not even 11.

PS, the characters I know that cannot be CG'd by D3:
MK (hey looky... now everyone will just play MK!)
Sheik/Zelda (I should really count this as one character, but it's two)
Squirtle/Ivysaur (IIRC)
Falco
Fox
G&W
Jigglypuff
Kirby

(OK, I'm just going to say 'lightweights')

salaboB

Smash Champion
MK (hey looky... now everyone will just play MK!)
And here you were saying everyone would play DDD.

Btw, Yoshi and Bowser have walk-off cg's against MK, so if these stages were allowed and everyone did pick up MK, they would actually be more viable than they currently are. And then DDD could be used against them, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think the character choices would be that much different from how things currently are.

Edit: Also, your choice of 24 tournament viable characters includes Sonic. Now, are you going to seriously tell me that Sonic has a realistic chance of winning a big tournament? And that his odds would be significantly reduced if walkoff stages were allowed as a counterpick? Yeah, I didn't think so.

In fact, DK (due to DDD and other issues) doesn't have a realistic chance either. Looking at the really viable ones I'd say it stops at ...what, Olimar? Do the ICs have a reasonable chance of being key to winning a big tournament? Somewhere right around 8-10 characters I'd say are currently really viable if you want to have a good shot at winning.

Top Bottom