• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ivysaur Fanclub!

The_Court_Jester

Smash Cadet
In this topic, we discuss Ivysaur combos, strategies, mindgames, you name it. Any discussion of Ivysaur is fair game!

Anyway, I've found a small combo that does probably around 20% damage at lower percentages. Down-Throw and immediately use Up-B. The Up-B is sweetspotted, dealing more damage and knockback. Also works for a basic "get away from me" thing. Sorry if old.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
One everyone should know and use is the bair into forward tilt. And if they are at low enough damage.. follow up with down tilt. good knock back and damage.

Medic

Smash Cadet
I find a good pattern to use is side throw off the edge, followed by a razor leaf and a f-smash tends to be a hard wall to come back from.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I made a thread about how Ivysaur is underrated, (I ranted a lot). I am a true Ivysaur lover. I love grass starters. I am so bad*** that I chose Meganium as a starter for Johto. Anyway, I love Ivy. Everything about him.

And yeah, I've always used bair > f-tilt to whoever said it.

Bair is just all around awesome. Perfect for that LITTLE bit of a spacing you need, has a HUGE hitbox, a hitbox in front of you, can be comboed out of...

The_Court_Jester

Smash Cadet
Nair to B neutral seems pretty good. Is there a way to DI out yourself, but still bet in the Bullet Seed?

Also, is retreating Fairs a good idea? It seems plausible, but hard to connect. When I'm stalling and need to switch to Charizard, I need more then spamming shield grabs and Razor Leaf. And the occasional Bair for spacing.

The_Court_Jester

Smash Cadet
I don't approach with Fairs, except when I go in and DI out. Or when I'm hitting them off the stage. I usually approach with either a shield grab or a SURPRISE DASH. Or wait and punish with a Ftilt.

I play a little Wario on the side, and a shorthop Dair is a pretty good approach, dealing around 16% at best. I've noticed Ivy's shorthop Nair ends before a shorthop and looks pretty good, though it's probably harder to approach with. Can it be used for a pseudo-Nair Shuffle?

TheLake

Smash Master
Mhhhm i love me some upsmash. You all get high fives for having such good taste by the way.

I think down throw to uair is more reliable then the up B at lower percents but both can be DI'ed out of anyways so thats just another option. I find Bair to forward smash can be effective somtimes as well. Upair to Up smash is a fun one.

Oh and we cant forget squirtles down b to bullet seed. Punish those punishers! ^_^

mikalaranda

Smash Cadet
Nair to uptilt to a quick uair is my favorite combo to pull off. Ivysaur's def my fav

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Lol now when i play pokemon with my ivysaur the first move i always think to use is usmash, but there is no such move.

peeup

Smash Lord
Lol now when i play pokemon with my ivysaur the first move i always think to use is usmash, but there is no such move.
Rofl... Same thing here but for bullet seed, then I'm like "Crap, that move's freakin awful here!!"

Anyway, at lower percentages, I like a good d-throw u-air. Doesn't always hit, but it feels good when it does.

the squirtle squad is much better then this place if its a fan club you need members duh
I'm thinking this club does need members...

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
I need some aproaching techniques with Ivy. I don't think that only short hop razor leaf is enough. Anyway, great thread.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Don't do it. =P

Ivy's aproach game is one of the worst parts about the character, so I'd just force the opponent to come to you with Razor Leaf. Otherwise, I think that you should pressure your opponent towards the edge with Fairs or Bairs, and then DI'n away from them, out of grab-range.

Good surprise: Dash canceled dash attacks. (Dash forward, pause for a second, and hit A)

Top Bottom