• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Japanese Ledge Grab rule

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Is there a difference between planking, and people stalling with the Peach Bomber/Jigglypuff's rising pound. As in it limits the cast to people who can handle it and who can't.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hmm, technically I would suppose there is not much difference, no. Actually, I think some would argue almost every character in the cast can handle planking (ie you just judge grabbing the edge to take the edge away from the planker, among other methods).

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Pfft, the Japanese are crazy, with their crazy rules and their craziness and everything... It's crazy.
But, on-topic, I think it's not a bad idea. As long as the number of edge grabs is high enough that someone playing legitimately doesn't get penalised for edge grabbing, I'm okay with it. I haven't ever payed attention to how many times I grab an edge on average during a match, but 70 seems like it would be a fairly reasonable number.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'd say Falco gets pretty ***** by planking from my experience - although it's SOMEWHAT possible to deal with.

It's a matter of knowing the planker's options, predicting their response correctly and then hopefully getting the percent lead.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hmm, technically I would suppose there is not much difference, no. Actually, I think some would argue almost every character in the cast can handle planking (ie you just judge grabbing the edge to take the edge away from the planker, among other methods).
From what I understand, this is extremely risky in many cases where if you do it wrong you get stage spiked by the planker, where the main things they have to worry about is getting edge hogged or being forced up top.

I'd say Falco gets pretty ***** by planking from my experience - although it's SOMEWHAT possible to deal with.

It's a matter of knowing the planker's options, predicting their response correctly and then hopefully getting the percent lead.
So the game turns into a stand still until the planker gets predictable or messes up. The problem lies in the fact of options some characters have to plank, in which case Metaknight has a lot of options to plank, making predictability difficult.

M@v

Subarashii!
So the game turns into a stand still until the planker gets predictable or messes up. The problem lies in the fact of options some characters have to plank, in which case Metaknight has a lot of options to plank, making predictability difficult.
No one has to plank; grab the ledge a few times, yes. But planking is whoring the ledge to stall and to run time down, and just to be plain gay in general. Mk just has those qualities that allow him to abuse the heck out of planking. Most characters are near helpless vs it, and some can only do a little about it. Lucario is a good example of one who can somewhat deal with it, since his dair>All of mks moves. But if Mk times his shuttle loop right so he has invulnerability frames when he hits Lucario, Lucario is screwed.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
And really, if you HAVE to stall the ledge in order to win a match because it is impossibly hard without planking... Learn to counterpick... If you are worried about DDD's infinite, go to a stage that takes it away. It would be a ******** stage list to have Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, Brinstar, or any other stage that could interfere ALL banned. Better yet, DDD has counters. Learn one of them. Some of them are very easy to learn if you are just looking for one matchup.

If you have a practically 0-100 matchup you should be counterpicking anyway. You should never HAVE to plank.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No, you don't HAVE to plank, but it is easier to run out time when you are winning by planking. You have barely no risk, and you risk more by getting up and attacking your opponent since he can hit you back.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Sooooo.......if MK is the only one who can plank amazingly well.......just put this rule on MKs then right?

M@v

Subarashii!
Sooooo.......if MK is the only one who can plank amazingly well.......just put this rule on MKs then right?
Don't misinterpret me on that lol. Although mk can plank amazingly, a lot of characters can still be a pain when they plank.

AndreVeloso

Smash Apprentice
I just played a 10-minute match and I grabbed the ledge 9 times. I think 40 would be an ideal limit as edgeguarding and edgehogging would be much more frequent at the tournament scene.

gallax

Smash Hero
that match was was actually a good example of why planking should be limited. but, in defense of not limiting it, the guy epic needs to learn to hug. its not that hard to drop down and grab the ledge when the opponent lets go. he did it a few times and it worked effectively. the better person definately won in that match.

Top Bottom