• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jigglypuff Stage Discussion Thread -Smashville

What's Puff's Best Starter Stage?

• Final Destination

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

• Castle Siege

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
I apologize for any inconveniences which might be experienced in a double post, but how does everyone feel towards using Yoshi's Island as a starter against Peach? I feel like Jigglypuff's down-air and down smash on the middle platform could be really effective against Peaches who depend on her aerials, and jump into floats for -everything- that they do.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
In all seriousness, i feel that Dsmash is something that should never be used. Unless you know you won't be punished which is an xmas miracle.

Against peach, i feel that yoshi's isn't good because eyebrow's gives Peach the hookup with recovering. I believe BF to be better because the platforms give you come turnip shield and she'll have a harder time recovering there.

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
Humm.. But I use down smash for a number of different situations, especially from on tangible surfaces when characters use rising aerials and place their hurt boxes in a position where avoiding down smash is impossible during their ending animations. x_x. It's so effective for gimping. Humm.. But I see the concept, for the stage comparison. Though, don't the platforms on Battlefield provide Peach with additional areas where she can land and pull turnips? I've always been impressed towards Battlefield's platforms as being beneficial factors for Peach's spacing, rather than a hindrance.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
It's effective for gimping, but the start up and ending lag isn't useful enough to use. It's outclassed in almost any situation.

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
Humm.. I've always thought that the situations where it's guaranteed to land, such as after jab locks, when Yoshi is returning to stage, when Zero Suit Samus tether cancels with jump, on characters sharking, it provides more of a beneficial position than using forward smash/u-tilt. Except maybe the sharking, depending on your opponent's percentage, since resting sharking players is also guaranteed when their hurt boxes rise from under whichever tangible surface you're on.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
After a jab lock at low to mid percents you want to get damage, ie a Dair to g rab w/a pummel or a Fsmash.

High percents, a free rest.
I guess with falco or fox you should dsmash if at 50-72% and are at the edge of the stage.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
when Yoshi is returning to stage
lol, you should NEVER use dsmash in this situation. First off, we should never be putting ourselves near it as we can down b cancel to the ledge from well underneath it, so we never even need to rise up that high to reach the ledge, second, if it does hit, our DJ armor will eat it and you'll be left standing there vulnerable for pretty much anything in our arsenal, and third, you should be using pretty much any other move other than dsmash against Yoshi. Half of Yoshi's entire hurt box is his nose, so when you're using a move that hits too low to hit our nose, that means you have to be about twice the distance closer to us to even hit us in the first place as our hurtbox (other than our nose) is actually really small and is pretty far behind our center.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
As far as Zero Suit, my other main, if you try to Dsmash her while she's doing anything, she can flipstool jump kick you, kills reallly low or fast tether to uair, which is like 20 frames max. It's fast as ****.

As for sharking characters the only ones i can see doing this is MK and pit. At least, effectively. As for pit, we're never going to hit him when he's sharking. And MK, his aerials are too disjointed to rest, much less Dsmash. The best option would be to get away from the area and wait for a better opportunity.

The only time i've used Dsmash is to punish a character i know is going to airdodge to the ground and is at high percents. Snakes love to either nair or airdodge to the ground.

Dsmash shouldn't be used. Even if you hit them with it, if they aren't a spacie at death percents, it's not worth it.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Okay guys.

So, Instead of discussing other stages i want this:

PROS

CONS

Characters?

I'll go first.

Pros
-I like smashville because it gives us easier stage control than FD.
-It's hard for puff to be able to control a stage herself, so having a small stage like this makes things easier. Not to mention,
-the platform can be used for safe pokes, or setups for a jablock (really useful on BF).
-I would like to bring certain characters here, it's easier to get them offstage, the platform gives us some area to escape... and easier recovery punishes.
-You can go under the stage too. That's a pro.

Cons:

-Very small.
-Vs certain characters like, Snake, you wouldn't want to see here because your rollout game is severely limited, he can mindgame you into being punished just for being ON the platform, and he can control everything better than you.
-We can't platform cancel :(
-The lack of a platform can get us grab released. Though, i don't think that the platforms on other stages stop us... :(

Characters i WOULD bring here:
:metaknight: :wario: :mario2: :falco: :fox:

Characters i wouldn't:
:popo: :diddy: :snake: :zerosuitsamus:

Reasons:
Wario, he can't run away reliably... since he beats us in the air.
Fox/Falco - Our game plan when playing these guys is to get them offstage and rack damage / low percent combos / get camped. Smashville is too small to get reliably camped like on FD.. and the short stage gives us ample room to punish landings.
Mario - Easier to control fireballs.
MK - We're not going to time out MK. Here we can reliably space without having a big stage.
Snake - Too much stage control
Diddy - ^^
Zerosuit - The grab release is ****, and she can zone us too well here.

Now it's your turns.
GO.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So Puff really is a miniature Wario. She also gets grabreleased to **** except for us it really really hurts :(
I don't like this stage for Puff really. It's pretty flat and only has a platform in limited parts of the stage which hurt us really.
Maybe we can scrooge here, but Puffs scrooge is kinda sad...
I wouldn't strike or ban it, but I would no way every pick it obviously.
Hard to say anything else since the stage is kinda dull.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Except her grab release is a little more forgiving as not everyone can punish it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
True, but it really hurts us more. We are good, but not nearly as good as Wario at avoiding them and being the lightest character in the game as being opposed to being heavy like Wario makes a difference.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah, but you cant be infinite Grab Released by some characters like Wario, which is a plus lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Tbh I wouldn't bring anyone here. I don't like this stage. It's pretty evenish on most Mus so it's expected to be the starter. Though I always troll people and strike SV first.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
K

There is nothing really here, the stage for the most part is grounded which sucks for us.
This depends entirely on the list of starters, but unless the list sucks, you shouldn't go to SV. Can't explain really why because this stage has nothing.

We have a hard time convincing the opponent to fight us in the air were we are good. The moving platform doesn't really help us in any way, but it does help other characters a lot more, giving them more recovery options and platformcanceling and stuff. /k

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yep, my post totally changed your mind about SV forever. My constructive and otherwise awesome arguments convinced you. :troll:

Top Bottom