• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

D

Deleted member

Bowser Jr. confirmed for SSB5 then?

The rosalina reveal shot his chances but still... now I feel like a Ridley fan
That feeling when one of your most wanted characters gets disconfirmed… it sucks. It really sucks…

Now I know how everyone else feels when one of their most wanted characters gets disconfirmed. Bowser Jr.'s chances aren't completely gone, but he took a hard hit… a devastating one at that.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I said it in rate their chances, and I'll say it here:

Mario getting more representation is a good thing for Bowser Jr. One of his biggest detraction was the notion that Mario was complete... Sakurai clearly disagrees. Secondly Rosalina shows us all that Popularity is important in the Mario newcomer stakes, and Jr. has a significantly higher want rate in rate their chances, and was often toted about more. Moreover being in more games and having a more notable voice than Rosalina I see next to no chance that Jr will be overlooked. Given the relative ease of implementing him (he's a SquirtleXBowser semi-clone, easier than a full fledged puppet master character) I see no reason now that Jr. will not make it into the game... not that there was much reason before for him not to get into the game.. but I still think his chances have improved.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Are people really convinced that Bowser Jr. is out of the running this soon? The only thing that'll truly deconfirm him is if he gets stuck as an Assist Trophy. Until then, Bowser Jr. is far from being deconfirmed.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
I said it in rate their chances, and I'll say it here:

Mario getting more representation is a good thing for Bowser Jr. One of his biggest detraction was the notion that Mario was complete... Sakurai clearly disagrees. Secondly Rosalina shows us all that Popularity is important in the Mario newcomer stakes, and Jr. has a significantly higher want rate in rate their chances, and was often toted about more. Moreover being in more games and having a more notable voice than Rosalina I see next to no chance that Jr will be overlooked. Given the relative ease of implementing him (he's a SquirtleXBowser semi-clone, easier than a full fledged puppet master character) I see no reason now that Jr. will not make it into the game... not that there was much reason before for him not to get into the game.. but I still think his chances have improved.
Hmmmmm... I hear ya, but im still hesitant that Mario will get another rep.

If I look at the transition from game to game these are the series that have gotten more than 1 char added.

Mario: 64 - 3 (including yoshi) -> Melee - 6 (doc mario) -> Brawl - 6 (wario included)
Zelda: 64 - 1 -> Melee - 4 -> Brawl 4
Pokemon 64 - 2 -> Melee - 4 -> Brawl 4 (but two new chars and 4 new movesets)

Alright so it wouldnt be unprecedented. I feel a bit more hopeful, but can someone answer this... How popular is Bowser Jr. exactly (in the west and Japan). I imagine Rosalina is fairly popular while Bowser Jr. kind of has an unfair stigma to him about being a clone...

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I know Rosalina being conformed doesn't help the bowser jr cause.
But I would really love to she him in this game!

...I LIKE TURTLES...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just to keep this thread going, I'll bring up some special move inputs that Bowser Jr. could utilize...

standard - Flame Shot: Bowser Jr. will spit out a fireball that'll try to home in on a nearby opponent. He can charge up the size of the fireball as well, but the bigger it is, the less efficient its homing capabilities are. Bigger fireballs deal more damage, but the charge can't be held. Also, the range of the fireballs aren't very long, as they'll gradually weaken over time before disappearing.

side - Graffiti Ball: Bowser Jr. will use his magic brush to hurl up to three paint balls at opponents. The paint balls are very weak in power, and deliver no knockback, but when they hit their opponents, the opponents will be briefly covered in damaging graffiti that deals 1% damage for every two seconds that pass. The graffiti subsides rather quickly, but Bowser Jr. can set up additional paint ball layers, which not only extends how long the graffiti will stay on the opponents, but can also reduce their movement speed as well. Up to three layers of graffiti can be placed on a single opponent.

up - Brush Propeller: Bowser Jr. will spin his brush like a propeller, and will start moving forward. The attack's power is relatively weak, but it can score multiple hits, with the last hit dealing the most damage. Players can control the angle of where Bowser Jr. is moving, acting as his third jump. However, this move leaves Bowser Jr. helpless afterwards.

down - Shell Dive: Bowser Jr. dives down to ground in a manner that's similar to his deke move from Mario Strikers Charged. Although it's weaker than the Bowser Bomb, it's less laggy, and Bowser Jr. recovers more quickly after using it.

Final Smash - Jr. Clown Car:

Bowser Jr. will get into his personal Koopa Clown Car, and start using it to attack opponents. Pressing the standard attack button will have the Koopa Clown Car attacking with its boxing gloves, which can deal decent damage. Pressing the special attack button, however, will have Bowser Jr. throwing two Bob-ombs which will explode upon touching ground. While Bowser Jr. is impervious to flinching while on the Koopa Clown Car, he'll still take damage from attacks. Also, Bowser Jr. can move the Koopa Clown Car around in any direction, considering that it is levitating. After 20 seconds have passed, the Koopa Clown Car will disappear, but it won't have a negative effect on Bowser Jr.'s recovery.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
At this point, I'd be upset if we got Bowser Jr.

The Mario franchise representation would then be as follows:

Mario
Green Mario
Peach
Blue Peach
Bowser
Mini Bowser

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
standard - Flame Shot: Bowser Jr. will spit out a fireball that'll try to home in on a nearby opponent. He can charge up the size of the fireball as well, but the bigger it is, the less efficient its homing capabilities are. Bigger fireballs deal more damage, but the charge can't be held.
How many of these fireballs could you have one screen?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Following my special move inputs, I have a lot more to bring up for Bowser Jr....

Bowser Jr. possesses a very unique mechanic that none of the other playable characters have, and it's known as the "Graffiti" mechanic. Much like how Ness uses PK, Zelda uses Magic, Lucario uses Aura, and Ganondorf uses Darkness, Bowser Jr. utilizes Graffiti for most of his attacks. This is especially due to the fact that he uses his magic brush for almost all of his standard attacks.

In terms of how the Graffiti mechanic works, it basically involves Bowser Jr. utilizing his magic brush to directly attack opponents. Whenever the magic brush damages opponents, it'll leave behind damaging graffiti, which is represented by rainbow paint. If Bowser Jr. delivers any powerful hits with his brush, the amount of graffiti that gets layered onto the opponents will increase. However, Bowser Jr. can only put up to three layers of graffiti on the opponent. The layer effects go as follows...

One layer: Player takes 1% damage for every two seconds that pass. Lasts for two seconds if the player hasn't been damaged by any more graffiti attacks. Weak brush attacks tend to offer this result.

Two layers: Player takes 1% damage for every 1.5 seconds that pass, and his/her movement speed gets reduced by 25%. Downgrades to one layer after two seconds have passed without being damaged by graffiti attacks. Moderately strong brush attacks often offer this result.

Three layers: Player takes 1% damage for every second that passes, and his/her movement speed gets reduced by 50%. Downgrades to two layers after two seconds have passed without being damaged by graffiti attacks. Fully charged smash attacks are very likely to offer this result.

On an additional note, Bowser Jr.'s up special, the Brush Propeller, also utilizes the Graffiti mechanic, as it does has offensive properties. Also, his Final Smash, Jr. Clown Car, also utilizes graffiti, as the boxing gloves that are equipped onto his Koopa Clown Car will have graffiti painted onto them; this graffiti will always place three layers of graffiti onto anyone who gets hit. The Bob-ombs, however, do not utilize graffiti at all.

Because of the nature of Bowser Jr.'s Graffiti mechanics, players need to be careful not to get overwhelmed by Bowser Jr.'s brush attacks.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
Following my special move inputs, I have a lot more to bring up for Bowser Jr....

Bowser Jr. possesses a very unique mechanic that none of the other playable characters have, and it's known as the "Graffiti" mechanic. Much like how Ness uses PK, Zelda uses Magic, Lucario uses Aura, and Ganondorf uses Darkness, Bowser Jr. utilizes Graffiti for most of his attacks. This is especially due to the fact that he uses his magic brush for almost all of his standard attacks.

In terms of how the Graffiti mechanic works, it basically involves Bowser Jr. utilizing his magic brush to directly attack opponents. Whenever the magic brush damages opponents, it'll leave behind damaging graffiti, which is represented by rainbow paint. If Bowser Jr. delivers any powerful hits with his brush, the amount of graffiti that gets layered onto the opponents will increase. However, Bowser Jr. can only put up to three layers of graffiti on the opponent. The layer effects go as follows...

One layer: Player takes 1% damage for every two seconds that pass. Lasts for two seconds if the player hasn't been damaged by any more graffiti attacks. Weak brush attacks tend to offer this result.

Two layers: Player takes 1% damage for every 1.5 seconds that pass, and his/her movement speed gets reduced by 25%. Downgrades to one layer after two seconds have passed without being damaged by graffiti attacks. Moderately strong brush attacks often offer this result.

Three layers: Player takes 1% damage for every second that passes, and his/her movement speed gets reduced by 50%. Downgrades to two layers after two seconds have passed without being damaged by graffiti attacks. Fully charged smash attacks are very likely to offer this result.

On an additional note, Bowser Jr.'s up special, the Brush Propeller, also utilizes the Graffiti mechanic, as it does has offensive properties. Also, his Final Smash, Jr. Clown Car, also utilizes graffiti, as the boxing gloves that are equipped onto his Koopa Clown Car will have graffiti painted onto them; this graffiti will always place three layers of graffiti onto anyone who gets hit. The Bob-ombs, however, do not utilize graffiti at all.

Because of the nature of Bowser Jr.'s Graffiti mechanics, players need to be careful not to get overwhelmed by Bowser Jr.'s brush attacks.
Wow this is a really good character design, I really love the graffiti mechanic!

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Obviously, all newcomer's themes are the idea of pure uniqueness. Anyone who thinks Bowser Jr. should be a mini semi clone of Bowser is full of it. Super Mario Sunshine alone can warrant a moveset for him. Throw his his koopa clown car and various tactics from galaxy and super mario world, and what MaSGuy said earlier, BOOM. Bonafide unique character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well not sure if I posted her before. But I just wanted to say that I'd support of Bowser Jr's inclusion.

And as far as movesets go. He could shoot a single large fireball instead of breathing fire like Bowser. Quite a few of his normal attacks can use the paintbrush. Or instead of using fire, he can shoot a streak of paint. Jr. could also retract into his shell dash into enemies like in New Super Mario Bros. 1. And his Recovery attack could be the Koopa Clown Car. Maybe it still does damage when it rises up, or when he jumps out of it and the Clown Car falls on enemies.

The only special attack that would be the same is the Bowser Bomb. Junior's could be faster but weaker, and maybe he can cancel out of it.

Lazurwolf

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr over Rosalina any day, but too bad there are so many stupid rosalina fans out there. Jr was more involved in the world of Mario than ****ing Rosalina (who was a very minor supporting character).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I was having a conversation with a friend, and I realized that Bowser's revamped move set and animation would make a Bowser Jr. clone a lot more likely. I don't think many people would be happy with that, but I think it's a real possibility if we do see any new clone type characters.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I would be happier with JR being a semi-clone actually. He'd have different enough attributes to be interesting, and his brush that most people bring up just isn't iconic enough (or interesting enough) for my personal preference. If the character should be a clone, then let them be a clone, but Jr has enough to allow him to only be a semi-clone on a few moves really... though of course they could still use Bowser as a base to speed up development.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
I'd be more interested in the Shadow Mario transformation everyone loves to talk about, but I guess if a Bowser clone is what it takes to get him in, then fine.

Personally right now I see Bowser Jr. as the most likely Mario newcomer, maybe outdone by Paper Mario as Sakurai loves those types of characters.
(See: Toon Link)
I really want him in, especially because I think he'd be a unique addition, but I feel like the biggest blow to his credentials was that he didn't even appear in Brawl, which focused on Sunshine where he was introduced. Man I was rooting for him so hard back then; the potential for his moveset was immense, but nope. Didn't happen.

Rosalina inclusion really hurts, as representing Galaxy could've been as simple as giving Mario the spin jump as a down-b; instead they make Rosalina the poster child. However if there is 6th Mario character, he could have a shot.

Keep the hope alive!

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I still have hopes for the prince of koopas, besides I find it very unlikely they would show off ALL the Mario characters so early (not including Wario)

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Toad is a move.
Waluigi is an assist trophy.

Bowser Junior has the highest chance of any new potential Mario character. :D
I'd say he has about a 25-30% chance now.

D

Deleted member

Bowser Jr.'s chances have definitely increased a little bit. I believe the only character that is any sort of competition to Bowser Jr. at this point is Paper Mario.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would be highly surprised to see another Mario rep that wasn't Bowser Jr. at the is point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still have hopes for the prince of koopas, besides I find it very unlikely they would show off ALL the Mario characters so early (not including Wario)
The fact they showed five Mario characters (not counting Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong characters) so early makes me think that maybe we might get a 6th Mario character who is unlockable... if there is one, whoever that character is remains a mystery.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Just to keep this thread going, I'll bring up some special move inputs that Bowser Jr. could utilize...

standard - Flame Shot: Bowser Jr. will spit out a fireball that'll try to home in on a nearby opponent. He can charge up the size of the fireball as well, but the bigger it is, the less efficient its homing capabilities are. Bigger fireballs deal more damage, but the charge can't be held. Also, the range of the fireballs aren't very long, as they'll gradually weaken over time before disappearing.

side - Graffiti Ball: Bowser Jr. will use his magic brush to hurl up to three paint balls at opponents. The paint balls are very weak in power, and deliver no knockback, but when they hit their opponents, the opponents will be briefly covered in damaging graffiti that deals 1% damage for every two seconds that pass. The graffiti subsides rather quickly, but Bowser Jr. can set up additional paint ball layers, which not only extends how long the graffiti will stay on the opponents, but can also reduce their movement speed as well. Up to three layers of graffiti can be placed on a single opponent.

up - Brush Propeller: Bowser Jr. will spin his brush like a propeller, and will start moving forward. The attack's power is relatively weak, but it can score multiple hits, with the last hit dealing the most damage. Players can control the angle of where Bowser Jr. is moving, acting as his third jump. However, this move leaves Bowser Jr. helpless afterwards.

down - Shell Dive: Bowser Jr. dives down to ground in a manner that's similar to his deke move from Mario Strikers Charged. Although it's weaker than the Bowser Bomb, it's less laggy, and Bowser Jr. recovers more quickly after using it.

Final Smash - Jr. Clown Car:

Bowser Jr. will get into his personal Koopa Clown Car, and start using it to attack opponents. Pressing the standard attack button will have the Koopa Clown Car attacking with its boxing gloves, which can deal decent damage. Pressing the special attack button, however, will have Bowser Jr. throwing two Bob-ombs which will explode upon touching ground. While Bowser Jr. is impervious to flinching while on the Koopa Clown Car, he'll still take damage from attacks. Also, Bowser Jr. can move the Koopa Clown Car around in any direction, considering that it is levitating. After 20 seconds have passed, the Koopa Clown Car will disappear, but it won't have a negative effect on Bowser Jr.'s recovery.
I Need ham in

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Hey if Bowser Jr. was in do you guys think he might be revealed in a direct or saved till after the game is released? I personally think the latter of the two.

D

Deleted member

Hey if Bowser Jr. was in do you guys think he might be revealed in a direct or saved till after the game is released? I personally think the latter of the two.
He would be saved for when the game is released. He can't bring a lot of hype like other newcomers could (like King K. Rool, Palutena, Ridley, Shulk, etc.) and being an unlockable character would make things a bit more unexpected.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Something worth bringing up now with what we've learned from the direct - if Bowser Jr does make it in, he won't have a Shadow Mario transformation. I know most movesets don't have it, but that was personally one of the biggest reasons I wanted him in Smash.

domriver

Smash Lord
If Bowser Jr. makes it in it will be kept a hidden character. As people mentioned he won't bring alot of hype. No special direct release or anything like that.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Sakurai has said that every new-comers will get trailers. Some may be unlockables but they're not going to kept hidden from public before Smash Bros release date.

Top Bottom