• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Last Airbender (the true avatar movie)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I say this movie failed because Toph wasn't there. XD
Book 1: Water
****. +rep for roacherman
More like Book 1: ****
+rep

The Sixth Sense
M. Night Shaman Llama def lost his touch :/
But anyway. When Sokka first came on screen I knew it was going to be terrible. Anyone else feel like they were watching a high school play?
I think the ironic thing about all of this was the best actors in this film were the ethnic actors (zuko for example, was actually pretty legit.)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
And Irow!

I got over the fact he's not fat and jolly since the actor captured him perfect.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
there should be a law where the only people allowed to make movies are the people at pixar.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They'll probably get Micheal Bay for the second movie. Everything (including Momo) explodes, Toph will continously drop F-bombs, and Kitara will be played by Megan Fox and painted brown to stop half the internet from cutting themselves. Everybody wins.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
I awoke this morning with a strange realization, probably stemming from io9's review.

M. Night has us all fooled. He doesn't want us to watch movies. He wants us to watch his career. The setup is all there: brilliant director creates a name for himself and subsequently destroys it. His career IS the movie, and we're living the twist.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, M. Night Shalalabaklva is sort of turning into a real life version of Ed Wood. It's a wonder studios keep giving him millions of dollars to make movies that are virtually guarenteed to tank.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Saw the movie, and it was both good and bad, mostly bad though.

THE GOOD: The look of the movie is great. The sets and especially the costumes fully look like the Avatar world come to life. It's pretty loyal to the series too, getting MOST of it right (the Firebenders can't make their own fire, which was a dumb choice imo). The actors like who they're portraying (except for the color of their skin of course, and even for Aang thats not a huge idfference), and I actually kind of liked the whole shift of the Fire Nation to Indians (for some reason Indian= Fire makes a lot of sense to me, maybe too much Dhalsim in SF), and the actors for Zuko and Iroh were actually quite good. And the special effects were good enough, although the bending for the most part isn't very flashy (except for a few scenes of water bending), and there isn't a lot if it in the movie to be honest.

THE BAD: Theres two big things wrong with the film: the writing, and the acting. The writing here is really just horrible. Too much explanation of backstory and the rules of the Avatar universe, and yet it's still not enough as things like the spirit world aren't explained and are kind of just there to be there. The writing isn't helped by the acting at all; the stars are all universally bad. I literally cringed every time Aang/ Ong talked, although he was good at the martial arts stuff. Sokka (or should I say, Soak-a) couldve been any other guy, no clue why someone of the right ethnicity couldnt have played him (or Katara for that matter) since he wasnt anything special. Katara is meh (and i wanted to choke her every time she mispronounced Aang and Sokka) . The combination of the writing, the acting, the weird pacing (the pilot and the finale take up almost all of the movie), the meh fight scenes, and the (for some reason) serious tone of the movie takes ALL of the charm away from the show, and it's just bland and boring.

So in all honesty, this is a BAD movie if youre not a fan of the show, but I still sat through all of it and as a big fan, its worth at least renting just to look at the world in live action.

Well, M. Night Shalalabaklva is sort of turning into a real life version of Ed Wood. It's a wonder studios keep giving him millions of dollars to make movies that are virtually guarenteed to tank.
From what I've seen, I think this'll probably make a good amount of money, and they're set up for a sequel anyway, hopefully he won't write it though...

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
There is another thing wrong you should add:
The inherent problem with trying to shove and entire season's worth of episodes into 2 hours makes EVERYTHING's progression from problem to solution appear seemless. There is no real sense of struggle since every major problem they face (i.e. Aang getting captured) gets solved in like 10 min. The show would spend half an hour, or maybe even multiple episodes, in what the movie would dedicate a scene or less to.

After seeing it with friends of mine who were more into the show than I was and seeing the way they "reviewed" it, I realized going into the movie as a major fan makes you constantly judge it for accuracy toward the show and not focus on the movie's lack of ability to tell a story by itself.

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
There once was a man named M. Night
His movie-making was viewed as a blight
Critics took a good gander
At "The Last Airbender"
And were shown that their views were all right.

The only good thing about this movie was the art direction. The only thing.

there should be a law where the only people allowed to make movies are the people at pixar.
I agree. Pixar fails at failing. Making a bad movie is not physically possible for them.

TOY STORY FOREVER!!!!!1!!!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
But anyway. When Sokka first came on screen I knew it was going to be terrible. Anyone else feel like they were watching a high school play?
I felt like I was watching a Twilight sequel (the guy who does Sokka is the guy who did the werewolf (vampire?) guy in Twilight)

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I went to the midnight showing of this wednesday night and i have to be honest i loved the movie as a fan but they went to places i figured was neccesary and unneccesary like the pronounciation of the names they said aang's name as aahn- guh but aang as the nickelodeon dubb prounouces is the american version so in fact we're the ones saying his unoriginal name and the movie isn't wrong about Aang's,Sokka's and iroh's names. and to anyone who disappointed about the kiyoshi warriors not being in the final cut. they were actually filmed in the movie and they're in fact m night's favorite characters but he said that there was so much footage of they're story that it had no end to it and ultimately it had to be cut which was a saddening choice for him. i know the movie must be a disappointment to some fan but the first book only had 20 episodes.That'd be a real challenge for a 2 and a half hour movie if im guessing that's how long it is im just looking forward to the next movie so i can see azula's and toph's actors

Moozle

Smash Champion
I saw the movie today in 3D. The effects were great, but the dialogue, like everyone has said, was just atrocious. I also don't think that the 3D really added much to the film. It was just put in for the hell of it. Another thing that bothered me was how whenever a fight was a bout to go down, it would just end. Too much threatening, not enough action (when it is necessary). It may have been more realistic, but I didn't like how slow the bending was. Like in the first fight in the Earth kingdom, it looks like the fire is moving at 5 miles per hour.

Best part of the movie: the credits. The beginning with all of the bending was so awesome to watch, especially in 3D.

Second best part: When Aang and Katara are doing the waterbending moves right before the fire nation arrives at the northern water tribe. That was one moment in the movie when bending felt real.

Besides all that, I think I did actually like the movie. No matter how sucky the dialogue was or how little action there actually was, it was still awesome to see all of my favorite characters in the flesh :)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Roger Ebert is a pretty legit critic. Really well known and stuff.

Its nice, cause he was a pretty against of the whole racial thing about this movie.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Good to know: Its no where close to being worst than Dragonball Evolution.

My opinion of the movie: Its not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The special effects were good and the fight scenes(for the most part) were pretty entertaining. The acting was bad by everyone that was not evil, then again can you really blame them? They are kids. Just look at the first Harry Potter movie. The acting in there was not all that great either, but they had awesome story and writing to make EVERYONE completely overlook that. In here, that is not the case. If the kids had a better script to go with im sure they would have done a better job. The most ANNOYING part of the movie was how they transitioned scenes. They would just narrate what happened for like 2 minutes and then literally like time skip. And this throughout the entire movie. It was annoying. Still..this is not worst than Evolution and is actually one of M. Night's best movies hes ever made. Probably third best behind The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The Happening was dissapointing but progressed its story at a comfortable pace, made you care (to an extent) about the characters, as well as showed kind of entertaining ways for people to off themselves.

Lady in the Water had Paul Giamatti.

The Village at least tried to be suspenseful.

Signs was kind of meh on all fronts.

Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense, we can, I hope, all agree were at least decent.

Airbender was terrible in A LOT of ways.
Bad acting among almost everyone. No age johns, this was bad casting of bad actors. The writing didn't help them, but seeing as how the same writing applied to all the cast and at least a couple were worth watching, one can say most of them failed pretty hard.
Plot progression was haphazard.
Special affects were there, but seemed incapable of stunning anyone.

It was just embarassing. A few people straight-up left the theater like half-way through. I would have if I hadn't paid for it...

Shyakalaka was director, writer and producer. He gets pretty much no redemption.

It's not worse than DB:E, it's the next step up, which is still a massacre.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Dude, what can you expect from these guys on being bad actors. I mean, teh guy who does Sokka was in Twilight. It's guaranteed that whoever was in Twilight acts in another movie, the said actor will be a horrible one at that

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure the acting in twilight is already pretty bad. Its just that since the movie sells so well people overlook it. I'm still not sure why such a bad movie is so popular...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm pretty sure the acting in twilight is already pretty bad. Its just that since the movie sells so well people overlook it. I'm still not sure why such a bad movie is so popular...
Horny 13-18 year old girls make up about 95% of Twilight's fanbase. The remaining 5% are people deluded enough to actually believe the series is good.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I would see Eclipse instead if it weren't for Stephanie Meyer being the even bigger insult to narrative.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I really liked that review McCloud. It's nice actually, that this movie tanked. Hopefully it can raise awareness.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Let this be a lesson to everyone: We Should deport M. Knight Shamilan.

RATED

Smash Lord
The Happening.
I LOL'd so hard at this movie with a friend of mine we couldnt stop laughing at it :laugh:

bad movies are great to laugh at them :D , Dragonball evolution was a exception since I couldnt laugh, it was horrible. I went to that movie just to see a spirit bomb in order to raise my hands and scream like a ******/attention *****. yet they didnt :(

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Was there some weird joke I missed in this?

Otherwise it's blatant prejudice followed by "no offense". :laugh:
Well, tell me what YOU think it is

You know, the OPer should do 2 things. First, change it to a Shamalaladingdong general discussion, and second off, change the thumbs up icon at the side to a thumbs down

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
but the movie is about abstainence. I don't get it.
Yeah...I know maybe 50% of those ****ing "Team Edward" *****es. They honestly beleive that they're going to **** a fictional VAMPIRE. That GLOWS. And the team Jacob *****es are WORSE! Horrible acting, scource material, vampire research, fanbase, and direction. the only good thing i can say is the soundtrack is Great.

Top Bottom