• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet

This thread serves to consolidate all the information we know about Luigi in Smash 4 - buffs, nerfs, general changes and all, as well as his moveset, including custom moves.

------------------------------------------------​

I have a streaming Japan 3ds and I've been playing the game while showing people DUCK HUNT DOG OVER AND OVER....but yeah from playing Luigi...he feels maybe "balanced"

Like some things feel changes for the better and some to keep him in check. Up-B (Combo or not) feels a little more tricky to pull off. Im not sure if its just the blast zones but some smash moves dont kill when I expect them to.

I might try to compile a better array of thoughts later but if anyone has anything in particular they want to know...feel free to ask here.

I'm not super pro or anything but he is my main :D

Last edited by a moderator:

champ21bell

Smash Cadet
How many air attacks can he do in one short hop; 2, 3, or 4? (like fair, fair, nair) (up air, up air, fair) or even (fair, fair, fair, dair)

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
How many air attacks can he do in one short hop; 2, 3, or 4? (like fair, fair, nair) (up air, up air, fair) or even (fair, fair, fair, dair)

Since I'm still playing, its a mess! So I'll clean this post up later to be more clear.

In seems to be normal except for the Back Air...the back air has some lag to it...

In a short hop, you can do two aerials....the dair barely but still possible... but you cant do two back airs in a short hop...

The aerials seem to still be okay other than that...i was able to do two d-airs in a short hop, two u-airs , one neutral air in short hop. I can interchange these ones as well. I can do a f-air into neutral in one short hop. I can do a d-air into neutral air in a short hop.

Yeah some of the moves have some lag added to them...(neutral, down, and esp back) but I think its stuff we can manage in the long run.

I think i really want to understand is the whiffed Up-B (super jump punch). You fall down faster and don't jump as high. I'm not sure if this is worse or better.

Folt

Smash Ace
How is the Poltergust?

(Also, have you unlocked any of Luigi's custom moves by any chance? I'd love to know some of them.)

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
How is the Poltergust?

(Also, have you unlocked any of Luigi's custom moves by any chance? I'd love to know some of them.)

Poltergeist is cool. Does about 40-45% damage Its a good homage to Luigi fans like the fludder jump.

I'll put up the video of all the custom moves for Luigi tomorrow when I wake up. I'm too tired. Streamed for 18 hours lol. Uh I can tell you them though.

http://www.reddit.com/user/DamienLunas
Thank him for Translations:

I'll try to translate them as best I can.

DB #1 - Luigi Cyclone

DB #2 - Blowout Mach Tornado: "With a high speed spin, it causes wind which blows away at the end. While it travels far vertically, there isn't much sideways movement."

DB #3 - Cyclone Lariat: "A spin which knocks away any opponents it collides with. While slow, its power is considerable."

UB #1 - Super Jump Punch

UB #2 - Easy Fire Jump Punch: "Makes it easier to hit the sweetspot (land a "clean hit") but power and jump height are slightly lower"

UB #3 - Embedding/Burying Head Attack: "The falling headbutt buries opponents, but the initial punch has no sweetspot (clean hit)."

SB #1 - Luigi Rocket

SB #2 - Straight(sideways) Rocket: "Rushes straight forward. Gathers power quickly."

SB #3: High Speed Rocket "Has high speed and travels far. If the attack misses, you'll get sent sliding big time."

NB #1: Fireball

NB #2 - Bounce Fireball: "A bouncing fireball. It will weaken with each bounce as it travels."

NB #3 - Ice Ball "Ice ball flies forward. Freezes Enemies at high percentages."

EDIT: Done translating the custom moves! The only one I'm really unsure about is Ice Ball. I'm not sure if it means that it deals high damage over time, or if it means that the power increases the further the projectile travels like it "snowballs". I'm not totally familiar with Japanese Smash terminology, so I'm going by context that the phrase "Clean Hit" refers to a sweetspot.

EDIT 2: I think I figured out the translation for Ice Ball now. The "Accumulated Damage" was referring to the enemy's vitality, not the strength of the attack. Again, unfamiliar with Japanese Smash terminology.

Last edited:

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
How powerful is his fair, is it more like melee or brawl?
Is the luigi cyclone as easy as brawl to rise up with for recovery?

Also just in general at what percentage do you manage to k.o your opponents?

Last edited:

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Bouncy fireball sounds hilarious. As does heavy head.
I don't know the real names for them but thats what I call them. Its easier to think about them after hearing that. I want to upload videos of that first...Ima try to do that now

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet

I'll get back to this question and some testing... but I know the third question will be kind of hard to say. The blast zones are a bit bigger in the game so people tend to not die as often as you would expect

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
I'll get back to this question and some testing... but I know the third question will be kind of hard to say. The blast zones are a bit bigger in the game so people tend to not die as often as you would expect
Alright thanks man! looking forward to your further testing

Folt

Smash Ace
I don't know the real names for them but thats what I call them. Its easier to think about them after hearing that. I want to upload videos of that first...Ima try to do that now
Seeing those custom moves in action would be swell, if you don't mind.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Seeing those custom moves in action would be swell, if you don't mind.
I'm rendering the video as I speak...then i'll upload it to youtube after...which should take another 10 mins or so maybe

I'll make an interesting video around the uses of them after in the coming days...I just need to stream the game for now and show people the DOG lol

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
As a Luigi main I can't wait for the custom moves video.

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm rendering the video as I speak...then i'll upload it to youtube after...which should take another 10 mins or so maybe

I'll make an interesting video around the uses of them after in the coming days...I just need to stream the game for now and show people the DOG lol
Thanks man. Your work is appreciated.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Thanks man. Your work is appreciated.
As a Luigi main I can't wait for the custom moves video.

Thank you all.

Anyway here is the Image link: http://imgur.com/a/rf3AM

And for the video, its here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZQUdvjICa8

Sorry for no sound on the moves. I have an Elgato and a 3DS capture and the sound goes to hell when both are "on". I need to configure it right. I could use my OBS to capture it perfectly...but I have my stream overlay and I dont want that in there. I just wanted to show the moves off.

Folt

Smash Ace
That bouncy fireball looks a lot like Mario's, but it seems to fall faster and has a kinda odd bounce. P cool!

Also, heavyhead Luigi is hilarious!

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Hahaha yeah I had no idea what to call it but it feels like he has a heavy head or something

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Thank you all.

Anyway here is the Image link: http://imgur.com/a/rf3AM

And for the video, its here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZQUdvjICa8

Sorry for no sound on the moves. I have an Elgato and a 3DS capture and the sound goes to hell when both are "on". I need to configure it right. I could use my OBS to capture it perfectly...but I have my stream overlay and I dont want that in there. I just wanted to show the moves off.
Looks cool.

I think the ice ball will freeze the enemy at higher percentages, like Mega Man's custom side B.

What are the downsides for the custom missiles?

I think the super jump punch that you don't know what it exactly does might not have a sweet spot and will hit at any point during the jump. However you lose recovery.

Last edited:

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Looks cool.

I think the ice ball will freeze the enemy at higher percentages, like Mega Man's custom side B.

What are the downsides for the custom missiles?

I think the super jump punch that you don't know what it exactly does might not have a sweet spot and will hit at any point during the jump. However you lose recovery.

Nice insight on that stuff. I couldn't really analyze them that much but I wanted to point out the video. Ill go more into them today or tomorrow

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If you are going to do more custom move demonstrations. I would suggest King Dedede because that's my other main...

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
If you are going to do more custom move demonstrations. I would suggest King Dedede because that's my other main...
You have to unlock custom moves. I got all of Luigis because I was trying to the game on hard with him in Classic and Allstar and they tend to give you moves more for the character you are using...

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Thanks to DamienLunas on Reddit..He translated the Custom Moves

DB #1 - Luigi Cyclone

DB #2 - Blowout Mach Tornado: "With a high speed spin, it causes wind which blows away at the end. While it travels far vertically, there isn't much sideways movement."

DB #3 - Cyclone Lariat: "A spin which knocks away any opponents it collides with. While slow, its power is considerable."

UB #1 - Super Jump Punch

UB #2 - Easy Fire Jump Punch: "Makes it easier to hit the sweetspot (land a "clean hit") but power and jump height are slightly lower"

UB #3 - Embedding/Burying Head Attack: "The falling headbutt buries opponents, but the initial punch has no sweetspot (clean hit)."

SB #1 - Luigi Rocket

SB #2 - Straight(sideways) Rocket: "Rushes straight forward. Gathers power quickly."

SB #3: High Speed Rocket "Has high speed and travels far. If the attack misses, you'll get sent sliding big time."

NB #2 - Bounce Fireball: "A bouncing fireball. It will weaken with each bounce as it travels."

EDIT: Done translating the custom moves! The only one I'm really unsure about is Ice Ball. I'm not sure if it means that it deals high damage over time, or if it means that the power increases the further the projectile travels like it "snowballs". I'm not totally familiar with Japanese Smash terminology, so I'm going by context that the phrase "Clean Hit" refers to a sweetspot.

EDIT 2: I think I figured out the translation for Ice Ball now. The "Accumulated Damage" was referring to the enemy's vitality, not the strength of the attack. Again, unfamiliar with Japanese Smash terminology.

Folt

Smash Ace
Nice! Making my own Luigi variants will be great!

Also, looking at recent videos, it seems the dash attack is much closer to how Ampharos described it, which pleases me.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Thanks to DamienLunas on Reddit..He translated the Custom Moves

DB #1 - Luigi Cyclone

UB #1 - Super Jump Punch

SB #1 - Luigi Rocket

I guess I was correct on all of them. I still wonder what is the downside to straight rocket.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I guess a vague question: How is Luigi overall in this game? Does he seem better or worse than Brawl?

[I really don't like how you said apparently there's lag on his aerials now. Considering he had none in Brawl, this worries me lol]

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I guess a vague question: How is Luigi overall in this game? Does he seem better or worse than Brawl?

[I really don't like how you said apparently there's lag on his aerials now. Considering he had none in Brawl, this worries me lol]
He is definitely better.

Luigi and Mario have the best down throws in the game potentially.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet

I was going to make a very long video on impressions of it but Im lazy for now....

Personal opinion...alot of things I think were changed during development because of Luigi's possible potential to be one of the top characters in the game with ease. Luigi wasn't bad in Brawl. He just had some unfortunate situations happen I feel. Biggest one of the few was Metaknight, who in general is a very big problem for Luigi.

WIth Metaknight toned down, whose to say Luigi won't be held down now. But I think things on his kit was toned down and added more vulnerability because he essentially got better by the overall speed and feel of Smash 4. So in a sense, he got nerfed because he got buffed.

Only personal opinion though...still need more days and more thoughts from other people playing him.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I was going to make a very long video on impressions of it but Im lazy for now....

Personal opinion...alot of things I think were changed during development because of Luigi's possible potential to be one of the top characters in the game with ease. Luigi wasn't bad in Brawl. He just had some unfortunate situations happen I feel. Biggest one of the few was Metaknight, who in general is a very big problem for Luigi.

WIth Metaknight toned down, whose to say Luigi won't be held down now. But I think things on his kit was toned down and added more vulnerability because he essentially got better by the overall speed and feel of Smash 4. So in a sense, he got nerfed because he got buffed.

Only personal opinion though...still need more days and more thoughts from other people playing him.
Sounds similar to my opinion of Luigi in Brawl. I think he's actually pretty decent, but Meta Knight wrecks him bad. Marth is pretty tricky too. Otherwise he'd be high mid tier in Brawl.

But I saw a video of Luigi vs a Wario player...absolutely wrecks Wario. He looks really, really good in that vid.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I appreciate the info, Lanuigi. :D

Luigi definitely has been buffed a lot, judging from the Wario video. Looking forward to using him again.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet

Sorry I know im probably too late but cyclone doesnt go as far as it did in Brawl. I think Brawls go "slightly" higher. Once you try it and do it, it wont be hard to do it again I feel like the momentum of you jump determines somewhat the distance. Just standing on the floor and using it I barely move. When I jump up and try it... I go up a good amount.

Its' been a long weekend so I might have forgotten how it was in Brawl. My mind is all over the place at the moment.

F-Air has low kill power but it adds for some combo potential. Especially for low percent down throws. Also still a relatively quick aerial which is good.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
I appreciate the info, Lanuigi. :D

Luigi definitely has been buffed a lot, judging from the Wario video. Looking forward to using him again.

Yeah I just havent given him enough time. I wanted to get custom moves for Lucario since that guy was nice enough to translate the Luigi custom moves. I wont probably dive into Luigi only for a bit but I'll try to set up something sometime

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I know im probably too late but cyclone doesnt go as far as it did in Brawl. I think Brawls go "slightly" higher. Once you try it and do it, it wont be hard to do it again I feel like the momentum of you jump determines somewhat the distance. Just standing on the floor and using it I barely move. When I jump up and try it... I go up a good amount.

Its' been a long weekend so I might have forgotten how it was in Brawl. My mind is all over the place at the moment.

F-Air has low kill power but it adds for some combo potential. Especially for low percent down throws. Also still a relatively quick aerial which is good.
Awesome man I appreciate it. Looking forward to your in depth luigi video

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
Thanks for tyhe info guys!
I mained Luigi in Brawl and I can agree, he was good but a lot of top tiers were really good or broken. In this game with all the new info and game engine (hitstun, hit colliders, etc) he will be a combo demon, he "had" good combos on brawl so this game will be amazing for him.

I was really worried about the cyclone potencial as a recovery but it seems as in brawl: with the jump momentum it can go pretty far. Hopefully someone with the game can test it's reach and upload a video (I'd love you so much).

Let's make Luigi a beast of a character this time!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I want to hear the "crowd" for Luigi again. It was hilarious! Only a couple more weeks...

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm looking around a bit and most people think of Luigi as entirely average or about where his original Brawl position was. Bit of a shame, despite his movement and combo buffs, but I suppose people just assume he's a copy paste of his Brawl self :p.

Then again, it's been but a single day...

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Poltergeist is cool. Does about 40-45% damage Its a good homage to Luigi fans like the fludder jump.

I'll put up the video of all the custom moves for Luigi tomorrow when I wake up. I'm too tired. Streamed for 18 hours lol. Uh I can tell you them though.

Thank him for Translations:

I'll try to translate them as best I can.

DB #1 - Luigi Cyclone

UB #1 - Super Jump Punch

SB #1 - Luigi Rocket

Does anyone have video of his #3 UpB that buries the opponent? As much as I love the Super jump punch this sounds interesting! And so does his fireball customs as well. Nice work!

Top Bottom