• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It would have to be unless it's some kind of flashback game.

I still want to hold on to my idea that it takes place in the 7 years that you get frozen in time and you have to rescue the swords spirit from something so that you can reactivate the master sword. Maybe Link got stuck in that place "between dimensions" that ganondorf sends his beaten puppet form to. Granted his older age, though, I'm not sure it can be possible.

Still dreaming, though.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Does anyone else agree that Zelda Wii may take place before OoT, explaining the creation of the Master Sword?
That girl shown must have some power to ward off evil, maybe she was overwhelmed by so much evil (maybe from Ganondorf or someone else), that when the sages saw this, they forged a blade that could contain her spirit to eliminate evil for many generations to come, henceforth, they dubbed the name: Master Sword, because it could master any evil!

That's what I get from this!! ;)

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The ice-fos are actually a good deal easier when using Wolf Link instead of regular Link.
Wolf against ice wolf, Man against ice man. Bomb arrows help.

Incidently, I heard a lot of good things about wii sports resort swordplay, but haven't gotten a chance to try it. Anyone play it yet? Do we want that 1-1 swordplay in the next Zelda title?

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I would hope so, but at the same time I hope they include a classic Zelda 3-D play style option, because the Wii Sports Resort swordplay is simply a minigame, but in Zelda Wii the player would be swinging their arms around the entire game.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I hope they don't ever do it to the point where it's gimmicky. Perhaps ONE boss fight in one of the dungeons, and possibly during the ganon fight or leading up to the ganon fight.

Scott!

Smash Lord
@SinkingHigher: They would never do it like that, especially if they thought it worked well. If the swordplay were good, it would be standard. If it didn't work so well, they'd... fix it until it did, probably. Having an on/off option is more likely, but if the swordplay involves 1-1 motion, then that would be hard to translate into basic controls.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It would be good if they added first person and third person perspectives.

Imagine playing in an ocarina of time remake, and you're fighting volvagia. You run up in the normal perspective when he pops up out of a hole, then go into first person to raise the hammer above your head. You bring it down with crushing force, and can see the results from up close due to the perspective.

When he starts breathing fire, etc you pop back into 3rd. There could be a button to let you switch between the perspectives, so that you could play as either or both if you wish.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
That would be very nice.

What if there was an option in the pause menu that allowed a switch between perspectives? (And of course, when you start your quest log it will allow you to do the same).

The two choices would be:

1) Classic Mode -- Always third-person except when aiming projectiles. Z-targeting works exactly the same as previous installments. With this mode, you can switch between the Wii Remote and nunchuk to Gamecube controller. The interface will change depending on which you use. Playing with the Wii Remote will play like TP (Wii version), and GC controller will be like WW.

2) Advanced Mode -- Will zoom intro first-person mode by pressing a specific button (C?) and Wii-remote and nunchuk movement controls swordplay, shielding, and use of weapons. The GC controller is not allowed in Advanced Mode, and Z targeting is not allowed in first person. However, when playing in third person, the game will play like TP (Wii version).

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Instead of worrying about the ramifications of making a full 1-1 motionplus swordplay game, I want to hear from someone who has played wii sports resort their opinion on whether or not the swordplay in sports resort was fun enough to make a Zelda game in which that swordplay becomes standard.

From what I've seen from archery, I can say that if the archery in Zelda was controlled the same way it would be fun. However, sports resort archery might be too hard against moving targets to be practical in a Zelda game to do without lock-on. Also, the calibration could use some improvement between then and now. Either that, or the surface I placed the wii-mote on wasn't flat enough. However, I couldn't play the local gamestop demo of swordplay because it required I take the nun-chuck out, which was impossible with the demo controllers, so I don't know if that is worthy of Zelda.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I must agree.

Something seems to be telling me in the back of my head that the game will play like the classic mode I mentioned, with the option of using Wii Remote or GC controller, but the Wii Remote will play like TP Wii version.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Instead of worrying about the ramifications of making a full 1-1 motionplus swordplay game, I want to hear from someone who has played wii sports resort their opinion on whether or not the swordplay in sports resort was fun enough to make a Zelda game in which that swordplay becomes standard.
It's pretty fun. It seemed to pick up my swings rather well, but I still wouldn't want a full game based around it. Swinging a lot gets tiring after a while.

The button perspective switch is a better idea. Lol.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
This is the Zelda Wii thread. You're speculating about what could possibly be in this game.
Sorry. My mistake. I was thinking this was the General Zelda thread for some odd reason. I edited that question out of the post.

I'm in favor of the button perspective idea, by the way.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
You know what'd be great? If they brought Kotake and Koume back into the game! It might be contradicting, to have Kotake and Koume die so many times and also die when resurrecting Ganon in the Oracle games...

But they are second-in-command bad guys, and I think they are just great!

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
They should! They do seem to die and resurrect themselves constantly, anyway.

Personally, I think they deserve a new design -- something that reflects the fact that they have been deceased for centuries and are returning to haunt the Glass Desert (or wherever their dungeon is located) for whatever reason.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
It's pretty fun. It seemed to pick up my swings rather well, but I still wouldn't want a full game based around it. Swinging a lot gets tiring after a while.

The button perspective switch is a better idea. Lol.
Sorry. My mistake. I was thinking this was the General Zelda thread for some odd reason. I edited that question out of the post.

I'm in favor of the button perspective idea, by the way.
I don't think multiple control schemes is necesarily the best way to go. Too much fiddling around with the options menu, not enough focus on making the most awesome Zelda game ever - sounds like something I'd expect from a 360 game. If the next Zelda is going to be the best ever, it would probably need to be motion plus exclusive. After all, the two things I was most excited about this gen was 1-1 swordplay and FPS's with the wii-mote.

Yes, I do think that a Zelda that uses 1-1 swordplay along with other motion controls (wii sports resort archery, etc.) would be the next OoT.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I would love for 1-1 sworldplay to happen in Zelda Wii, but I feel like the game would feel empty if it didn't bring back the classic 3-D Zelda controls.
Please explain.

It sounds roughly equivalent to a preference for pre-OoT Zelda over post OoT Zelda, so I'm curious as to what you would miss about the old control scheme.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
The classic control scheme is just too suitable for Zelda to get rid of, if you know what I mean. The controls are simple, but skill is involved for properly fighting enemies and bosses. It's just one of the many things that make a Zelda game a Zelda game.

EDIT: Pre-Oot? Last time I checked, those weren't 3-D. I'm referring to OoT and later.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The classic control scheme is just too suitable for Zelda to get rid of, if you know what I mean. The controls are simple, but skill is involved for properly fighting enemies and bosses. It's just one of the many things that make a Zelda game a Zelda game.

EDIT: Pre-Oot? Last time I checked, those weren't 3-D. I'm referring to OoT and later.
What I meant is prefering the old control scheme you know so well over a new control scheme that could permamently change the Legend of Zelda series sounds roughly equivalent to a Zelda 1 fan complaining that OoT shouldn't have abandoned the overhead dungeon crawling. Sure there is a legitimate basis for remaining with the original Zelda format, but generally gamers view OoT as the best game of all time. Should they have made an option to view OoT from above in the same way as the Zelda 1 perspective?

Mewter

Smash Master
The Wii Sports Resort thing is a definite yes. It's just too cool! :bee:
Maybe it'd be overall optional, though. I don't think playing the entire game like that would be easy.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
From what I've seen from archery, I can say that if the archery in Zelda was controlled the same way it would be fun.
I don't think we'll be able to rapidfire that way, though. Unless they make it so we can quickly move the nunchuk back again immediately after firing.

But remember the last form of the final boss in Link's Awakening? It would slowly open its eye and quickly close it again, and you'd have to fire an arrow at it whenever it opened its eye. If we couldn't fire two arrows immediately after another, the fight would take forever.
Or you could've just used a boomerang and ended the fight in two seconds, lol.

I think the WSR method for firing arrows would be cool for some kind of special powerful arrow though. Maybe a Light Arrow...

Scott!

Smash Lord
Until they say otherwise, I refuse to entertain the possibility that, after Wii Sports Resort included it, Zelda Wii will not have Motion+ swordplay. It will be in the game. Even if at some point he doesn't have his sword, which the concept art makes it seem pretty likely, he will at some point have a sword, and he will kill things with it. And if I am wrong, you may laugh at me. I'll be too busy being surprised to notice.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Until they say otherwise, I refuse to entertain the possibility that, after Wii Sports Resort included it, Zelda Wii will not have Motion+ swordplay. It will be in the game. Even if at some point he doesn't have his sword, which the concept art makes it seem pretty likely, he will at some point have a sword, and he will kill things with it. And if I am wrong, you may laugh at me. I'll be too busy being surprised to notice.
The point of the art was to show that he doesn't have the Master Sword, but surely he'll use a different sword, just like in all of the other games.

1-1 swordplay is quite likely, but honestly, the 1-1 swordplay in WSR is simply a minigame. Imagine playing a entire adventure with 1-1 swordplay. It could be fun, but it will eventually get tiring. I expect it to be an option.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Question: in Wii Sports Resort, can you use the joystick to move in 3d space while swinging? I just have a feeling it would be far more complicated...

Clownbot

Smash Lord
A sequel to TP, same Link, and possibly the Master Sword spirit... Any thoughts?
Most people already suspect that the girl in the art has something to do with the Master Sword, and the game's been confirmed to have nothing to do with TP.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Most people already suspect that the girl in the art has something to do with the Master Sword, and the game's been confirmed to have nothing to do with TP.
I still think it's probably going to be a prequel to OoT, including the War, the construction of the Temple of Time, and most importantly, the origin of the Master Sword.
I brought this idea up a while back, but it got lost in a discussion about bomb arrows.

Scott!

Smash Lord
So... bomb arrows, anyone?

Just kidding, Phantom. :) I think a prequel would be interesting, but I'm kind of skeptical of its likelihood. I feel like, disregarding MC as a possible prequel, OoT created the tradition in Hyrule of the green-clad hero. In OoT, he wore green because of his Kokiri roots, and in all other games where they reference his clothing, his threads are referenced as those of the hero. It isn't something that's too hard to work around, but I get a feeling that the Link of OoT is supposed to be (besides MC, which is weird) the first Link in the chain. OoT has the first Ganondorf, the first Link, and the timeline's split.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
So... bomb arrows, anyone?

Just kidding, Phantom. :) I think a prequel would be interesting, but I'm kind of skeptical of its likelihood. I feel like, disregarding MC as a possible prequel, OoT created the tradition in Hyrule of the green-clad hero. In OoT, he wore green because of his Kokiri roots, and in all other games where they reference his clothing, his threads are referenced as those of the hero. It isn't something that's too hard to work around, but I get a feeling that the Link of OoT is supposed to be (besides MC, which is weird) the first Link in the chain. OoT has the first Ganondorf, the first Link, and the timeline's split.
The only game that references a hero that is not the Hero of Time, though, is MC, because it describes a Hero with no cap that used the Picori Sword...

But wherever this game takes place we know it's not before or after TP.

Top Bottom