• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I think the game should be kind of dark but with a MM type of dark, if you know what I mean. Though Termina doesn't appear entirely dark and creepy, it is about to be destroyed by a falling moon because of a freaky-looking mask with mysterious power. Basically what I'm saying here is that it should be really mysterious, and like MM, the dark aspect of the game should be cleverly disguised and weaved in.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think the game should be kind of dark but with a MM type of dark, if you know what I mean. Though Termina doesn't appear entirely dark and creepy, it is about to be destroyed by a falling moon because of a freaky-looking mask with mysterious power. Basically what I'm saying here is that it should be really mysterious, and like MM, the dark aspect of the game should be cleverly disguised and weaved in.
Basically this. MM has the oddest combination between whimsy and twisted sadness, and it worked beautifully. I would cream my pants if Zelda Wii lives up to that.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Basically this. MM has the oddest combination between whimsy and twisted sadness, and it worked beautifully. I would cream my pants if Zelda Wii lives up to that.
Man oh man. If Zelda Wii is in anyway a spiritual successor to MM, it may be the Zelda game to surpass the N64 Zeldas.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Which, combined with Link falling down a hole at the beginning, makes MM kind of like Alice in Wonderland for Zelda.

And then you have that silly rabbit Happy Mask Salesman who seems to have a very important date. :chuckle:

:034:

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Which, combined with Link falling down a hole at the beginning, makes MM kind of like Alice in Wonderland for Zelda.

And then you have that silly rabbit Happy Mask Salesman who seems to have a very important date. :chuckle:

Only Termina is about to face a total apocalypse caused by a falling moon...

But if ZWii does not bundle with the Motion Plus, I will be pretty angry.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Is there a social thread for this subforum? Call it "The Legend of Boflex Social Thread".

And honestly I would hate playing through a LoZ game if I were to be "ol' ripped" Link.

-Terywj

Spire

III
BRoomer
Do I have to post the picture of Peter Pan again?

Or do I need to find the interview where Nintendo refused to respond to the question, "did you base Link off Peter Pan?"

Spire

III
BRoomer
Uhhh.... Do you really think they did that intentionally?

Then again, maybe they did. Well, this hurts Zelda as I know it a lot.
There's no such thing as an original story or character. There are certain types of stories and certain types of characters. Miyamoto created a basic fantasy tale (that was very similar to The Lord of the Rings) and when it came to the look of the protagonist, what better way than to base it off of a woodland boy from a Disney Movie that people could recognize enough, thus promoting sales?

Also—although probably completely coincidental due to development and release time frames—the original Legend of Zelda strongly resembles the Ridley Scott film Legend. A woodland boy Jack (Tom Cruise) is dressed in green garbs and must save the captured Princess Lily (Mia Sara) from the clutches of The Lord of Darkness (Tim Curry). In a land that was once lush and fruitful, The Lord of Darkness sends his goblin minions to slay a Unicorn and cut its horn. By doing so, the world is cursed with blizzards and fiends. Lin—I mean Jack befriends a fairy in his quest and finds armor and a sword in a cave to defend himself before he advances into the depths of the Lord of Darkness's realm.
In the end, the silvery Unicorn Horn is used to slay the Lord of Darkness, just as the silver arrows were used to slay Ganon.

Again, probably a huge coincidence, but they're so ridiculously similar, it's weird.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Uhhh.... Do you really think they did that intentionally?

Then again, maybe they did. Well, this hurts Zelda as I know it a lot.
It's more of an honor than a disgrace to the series. There's never going to be an original story, so we might as well have an unoriginal story based off of some of the best stories lying around.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I love Zelda as much as everyone else but it's a tad fanboyish to think that everything the series has done in regards to story//thematics is a huge revolution that's never been done before.

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice
You never saw Peter Pan in regards to Link? That was the first thing I ever even thought of when seeing him. Kids living in the woods, never able to grow up, wearing green, have fairies? The only thing thing missing was the ability to fly.

Honestly, you cant really have a fantasy story without it being a complete copy of something else. Why change the formula? It works. It works really well.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I agree. I am not slighting Zelda at all, though I play primarily for adventure and atmosphere so I usually tend to dismiss the storylines unless they are more "out there" like Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Peter Pan may have been a character influence, but I don't believe the story evolved on that(or AiW). Lord of the Rings is definitely plausible to compare for a lot of things. Eh, I like to think Zelda's original (I know what Spire said btw) just because I'm not a fan of AiW, LoTR, PP(except Tinky. . .el oh el).
Ah, who am I kidding!? I wish Link had Tinkerbell!

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
:link:
Peter Pan may have been a character influence, but I don't believe the story evolved on that(or AiW). Lord of the Rings is definitely plausible to compare for a lot of things. Eh, I like to think Zelda's original (I know what Spire said btw) just because I'm not a fan of AiW, LoTR, PP(except Tinky. . .el oh el).
Ah, who am I kidding!? I wish Link had Tinkerbell!
We're not saying they were the basic foundation for the stories, just that they took inspiration from them.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The Movie "Legend" and LoZ came out only a month apart. LoZ was probably in the works much longer than Legends was.

Though, Ganon being based off of Tim Curry is pretty hilarious :laugh:
Tom Cruise as a Link influence ruins Link so much though. But Mia Sara as inspiration for Zelda, oolala. I'm laughing at the prospect of Tim Curry playing Ganon in a Zelda movie :laugh:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
As wildly imaginative Miyamoto is, I think it's clear he had influences somewhere.

I mean, he said the idea for Zelda came from playing in the backyard as a little kid. Obviously, his imagination was big for a good reason.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
As wildly imaginative Miyamoto is, I think it's clear he had influences somewhere.

I mean, he said the idea for Zelda came from playing in the backyard as a little kid. Obviously, his imagination was big for a good reason.
I guess it's kind of like how Chain Chomps came from large dogs? I mean, just look at them -- they're on chains and they bark.

As far as the Peter Pan theory goes, I'm almost sure that Navi was inspired by Tinker Bell.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I actually have to disagree with that article; Epona and Link had strong bonds in both OoT and TP. In OoT, Link met Epona as a child and grew to know her through the Epona's Song. In TP, since he had been herding goats practically his whole life, Epona was like an extremely close friend to Link.

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice
Epona isnt real enough? Have you SEEN some of the characters in TP? They werent striving for realism, they were striving for Zelda. If anything, Epona is the most realistic thing in TP, and almost doesnt fit well with the rest of the game which was very stylized.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Agreed, Jabberwocky. All that is unrealistic about Epona is that she somehow appears in front of you when you play the song or the Horse Call and the fact that she can run practically forever, but neither of those details matter.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The issue is that Epona is a lifeless means of transportation in Twilight Princess with no personality, when games that preceded it have done a much better job with that kind of thing. The comparison to Shadow of the Colossus is apt, although a bit unfair as that entire game is built around the horse and rider relationship, whereas in Zelda it's not such a major part of the games.

Mewter

Smash Master
Epona is an off-road four wheeler passing as a pack mule.

It'd be easy to replace her with another horse.

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice
Epona is an off-road four wheeler passing as a pack mule.

It'd be easy to replace her with another horse.
You think so? I dont think it's even possible to bring another horse into Zelda now. It's like if Mario cracked open an egg and didnt find Yoshi. It cant happen and wont happen.

But I must say that the necessity for horse-back riding ends halfway through every game. Soon calling Epona and having to measure the amount of "whacks" you give your horse before it slows down gets very tedious. I either warp or run as a wolf to get places faster.

I wish there was a way to make the horse-back more necessary, but I cant think of one.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You think so? I dont think it's even possible to bring another horse into Zelda now. It's like if Mario cracked open an egg and didnt find Yoshi. It cant happen and wont happen.
Well, they kind of have already replaced Epona in many ways now:
- Ricky
- Dimitri
- Moosh
- King of Red Lions
- Steamboat
- Train

Epona is the only horse so far, definitely, but honestly it wouldn't hurt the franchise is Link rode another horse. I mean, why not?

Top Bottom