• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I think that once the tech fixes are worked out I think Skyward Sword could be an awesome game. The graphics are definitely below Twilight Princess, but that's probably because of the movement implements.

Spire

III
BRoomer
So from the information released thus far..

Seems like this will be the story of the first Link, who's a member of the Hylian tribe. Since they were created by the Goddesses, they live in the skies, closer to the 'heavens'. His tribe created the Skyward Sword and he uses it to defend himself as he travels to the land below. This game seems to be about the founding of Hyrule, since the name is derived from "the rule of the Hylia". The Hylia are a tribe from above that descend to this chaotic world of monsters to bring and establish order. Link paves the road using the Skyward Sword, and after discovering the secrets of this world, enhance the blade with divine powers, redubbing it the Master Sword, capable of feats that the Skyward Sword was not. I suspect that not even Hyrule Castle will be in this game as this is not even Hyrule.

Just as we transformed the Picori Blade into the Four Sword, we are now transforming the Skyward Sword into the Master Sword.

I liked ST, it was far better than PH. I don't think this game will be too bad. Anyway, what if ST's team was majority MM or OoT team? I doubt it, but you still don't know who is on that team.

:034:
ST's team was PH's team, which was composed of a lot of ALttP's team. That kind of explains the look of this game.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
@Spire VII

The game in a nutshell, I think.

I'm thinking that this game is driven more by your actions rather than the actions of others. Maybe you're not preventing something in this game, but causing something. I think that would be a first for Zelda. Link is the big cheese in this game.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So from the information released thus far..

Seems like this will be the story of the first Link, who's a member of the Hylian tribe. Since they were created by the Goddesses, they live in the skies, closer to the 'heavens'. His tribe created the Skyward Sword and he uses it to defend himself as he travels to the land below. This game seems to be about the founding of Hyrule, since the name is derived from "the rule of the Hylia". The Hylia are a tribe from above that descend to this chaotic world of monsters to bring an establish order. Link paves the road using the Skyward Sword, and after discovering the secrets of this world, enhance the blade with divine powers, redubbing it the Master Sword, capable of feats that the Skyward Sword was not. I suspect that not even Hyrule Castle will be in this game as this is not even Hyrule.
How much further in the beginning will they go?

Now I forgot the premise of Minish Cap and where that could be placed.

Tacel

Smash Lord
I still have high hopes that this game will be a Majora's Mask sequel. When the Majora's Mask goes by the screen in the Teaser Trailer, you hear the Skull Kid's laughter remade. Would they go out of their way to remake that laughter just for a cool effect in the trailer, or did they remake it because they needed it in-game?
This could take place preMajora's Mask.

But I'm probably just paranoid.

finalark

SNORLAX
I still have high hopes that this game will be a Majora's Mask sequel. When the Majora's Mask goes by the screen in the Teaser Trailer, you hear the Skull Kid's laughter remade. Would they go out of their way to remake that laughter just for a cool effect in the trailer, or did they remake it because they needed it in-game?

Maybe the laughter will be used in a 3DS MM remake...?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
OoT and Majora's Mask remake should be the same thing. Could you imagine how much people would rush out to buy that, a game that connects to games that deserved to be put together? Wrong thread though hahaha.

If you look at the trailer again, when he runs off the mountain, the world around him is put into Impressionist style, similar to one of the pics in the press release. Could it be that when going at high speed the art style will shift to this impressionist based style? Would be interesting to see how this is implemented, but there's something being hidden from us with the graphics that we don't quite see yet.

Spire

III
BRoomer

The laughter was taken straight out of MM. Also, Miyamoto confirmed that the four references in OoT, MM, WW, and TP have nothing to do with SS.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1098500p1.html

Skip to the end for proof.
OoT and Majora's Mask remake should be the same thing. Could you imagine how much people would rush out to buy that, a game that connects to games that deserved to be put together? Wrong thread though hahaha.

If you look at the trailer again, when he runs off the mountain, the world around him is put into Impressionist style, similar to one of the pics in the press release. Could it be that when going at high speed the art style will shift to this impressionist based style? Would be interesting to see how this is implemented, but there's something being hidden from us with the graphics that we don't quite see yet.
If you look at the hi-res pics that IGN posted (and that Jam Stunna linked us to), the backgrounds seem to meld the textures together to form a living painting look. Heh, I remember back before we even had this room, when we discussed Zelda only in the Light House thread, I brought up the idea of Zelda Wii having an art style unlike TP and WW, that looked like the world was a living painting. Hehehe..

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Are you actually serious?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know everyone's entitled to an opinion but you sir, are wrong.

Things that were wrong with ST

Tedious train travel
Touch screen controls
Boring environments
Way too easy
Touch screen controls
Temples were really short and uninspired
The train theme was forced (Locomo's... really?) and Link is not a ****ing engineer
Touch controls
My opinion is wrong simply because it doesn't line up exactly with yours? Really? Do you honestyly want to open that can of worms? "I don't like sweet and sour chicken." "Well, you're wrong; sweet and sour chicken is delicious." I pray you're not like this in daily conversations.

Well, since you want to pick a fight for God knows what reason and I'm uncontrollably curious to how my opinion based on personal preferences could possibly be even more wrong:

1. I agree with this.
2. If anything I believe they were decently improved from PH.
3. Didn't really see them that different from any other Zelda game. In my opinion, OoT and MM were the only Zelda games that had locales that were genuinely interesting.
4. A problem that's been around since the Wind Waker. I personally found it to be the hardest since Oracle of Seasons/Ages.
5. I think I'm noticing a pattern here but, knowing me, I'm probably wrong.
6. Again, a problem I've seen since the Wind Waker but I've never seen it as bad as you apparently see it.
7. It was goofy and, once again, this is something I've come to expect since the Wind Waker: the game containing a theme I've found lame or simply didn't care about by the time I reached about half way through the game.
8. I sense you didn't like the touch controls but, again, my intuition is crap.

Destroy if you want but please try to be civil about it. I know there are few better ways to blow off steam than to have a good "nerd rage" over someone having a different opinion but try not to get carried away if you can, God willing, restrain yourself.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
According to the article Spire posted, it seems SS may occur before OoT. Since Link descends into a kingdom ruled by evil (which is supposedly Hyrule) from the heavens, he is likely to be the first Link.

I never realized the true significance of this odd TP cutscene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXRBvXQO1w

What I have overlooked is that the dark interlopers invaded the Sacred Realm before OoT took place, not long after the goddesses created Hyrule. At this point in time, Hyrule seems to be ruled by evil, until the Light Spirits intervene, at a point in time in which it would make perfect sense for the very first Link to appear.

Could the events described in that cutscene have occured in SS?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I think they should sell this game with Wii Motion Plus to help me out. I really have wanted to buy it for Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I thought you couldn't attach the nunchunk AND motion plus....

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think they should sell this game with Wii Motion Plus to help me out. I really have wanted to buy it for Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I thought you couldn't attach the nunchunk AND motion plus....
Wii Motion Plus is bundled with it (along with an extra sensor bar if I read correctly), and the Metroid Prime Trilogy does not utilize the peripheral. And also, you can use the Nunchuk with WM+.

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice
Well well! The New Zelda has shown itself this time! With these lovely TP/WW graphics and wiimotion Plus implementation, I admit that I find myself... disappointed.

I have been a huge fan of Zelda for many years. I was a loyal slave to OoT and MM, a huge fan of WW, and I tolerated TP. But this has put the last proverbial nail in the proverbial coffin. It is as if Aonuma and Miyamoto no longer care about the Zelda franchise and dont even have the courtesy to let it die (Not that I want Zelda to die, but I have lost hope that it will ever heal).

It looks like ****ing "Link in Wonderland" with those plush, pink mushrooms and those big-eyed ****** monsters and eye-ball doors. The graphics have forever turned into these WW cel-shaded crap that was tolerable (And sometimes enjoyable) in WW but gradually lost their charm and have become abominable in TP and now the new SS. The silly sword-flailing/whip-cracking cartoon Link stands as a mockery of the once skilled and strong Hero of Time we were accustomed to. Aiming is broken, sword-fighting looks and acts stupid, and overall graphics are awful. Zelda is dead, ladies and gentlemen.

However, aside from ****** and killing my second favorite game franchise in the world, my FIRST favorite game franchise is RETURNING in a new game, "Donkey Kong Country Returns!" This redeems Nintendo for me, if only for a while. Not only that, but the 3DS and several new nintendo games seem extremely promising. So... I'm not too mad. I just wish Zelda could have survived.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just give it a shot when it comes out. I'm sure it's more fun than it currently looks.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, the tech demo dungeon probably won't end up in the final game, and the graphics are still going to be improved. Not to mention, the game will include orchestrated music and possibly voice acting (let's hope it's good...). And I'm quite content with the story so far. It actually explains the origin of the Master Sword, the very first Link, and takes place in both Hyrule and Skyloft, a sky kingdom. It even (theoretically) hints at two unexplained story elements of TP - the Sky City of the Ooca (Skyloft?) and the Dark Interlopers (Hyrule ruled by evil?).

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
a good "nerd rage"
Oh that wasn't nerd rage.

This is nerd rage:

Well well! The New Zelda has shown itself this time! With these lovely TP/WW graphics and wiimotion Plus implementation, I admit that I find myself... disappointed.

I have been a huge fan of Zelda for many years. I was a loyal slave to OoT and MM, a huge fan of WW, and I tolerated TP. But this has put the last proverbial nail in the proverbial coffin. It is as if Aonuma and Miyamoto no longer care about the Zelda franchise and dont even have the courtesy to let it die (Not that I want Zelda to die, but I have lost hope that it will ever heal).

It looks like ****ing "Link in Wonderland" with those plush, pink mushrooms and those big-eyed ****** monsters and eye-ball doors. The graphics have forever turned into these WW cel-shaded crap that was tolerable (And sometimes enjoyable) in WW but gradually lost their charm and have become abominable in TP and now the new SS. The silly sword-flailing/whip-cracking cartoon Link stands as a mockery of the once skilled and strong Hero of Time we were accustomed to. Aiming is broken, sword-fighting looks and acts stupid, and overall graphics are awful. Zelda is dead, ladies and gentlemen.

However, aside from ****** and killing my second favorite game franchise in the world, my FIRST favorite game franchise is RETURNING in a new game, "Donkey Kong Country Returns!" This redeems Nintendo for me, if only for a while. Not only that, but the 3DS and several new nintendo games seem extremely promising. So... I'm not too mad. I just wish Zelda could have survived.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Twilight Princess has cel shaded graphics?

The public demo was screwed up, almost everyone who's actually played the demo agree that the controls are awesome, and while not exactly 1:1 swordplay, it's **** close. They also incorporated that into the gameplay, in where it actually makes a difference which angle you slash at enemies.

In short. quit getting mad at video games. This game doesn't come out until next year, and I bet you it will be at LEAST late Q2. They've also stated that the graphics are one of the last things they began work on.

finalark

SNORLAX

So basically....

"OH MY GOD IT'S DIFFERENT! LARGE MUSHROOMS AND CARTOONY MONSTERS!?!? IT'S NOT THEY'VE DONE THAT IN MINISH CAP AND THE LATTER IN WIND WAKER!"

AND GET THE **** OVER CEL-SHADING. Son of a *****, people like this are the reason why Nintendo isn't aloud to experimant or change ****. Oh, what's this? Nintendo is putting out a new Zelda for the GC? OH MY GOD IT HAS DIFFERENT GRAPHICS UNLIKE OCARINA OF TIME YOU HAVE RUINED MY LIFE! Oh, you're going back to the realistic Zelda OH MY GOD YOU MESSED UP TWILIGHT PRINCESS FOR SOME BULL**** THAT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER TO NORMAL PEOPLE! I WANT TO PLAY OCARINA OF TIME! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT REAL FANS WANT! YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE GOOD GAMES ANYMORE!

GET THE **** OVER IT.. How about you crack you head against a rock to let all of that "IT HAZ TO BE LIKE OOT" bull**** out of your ****ing skull so that way you can actually let the rest of us appreciate whenever Nintendo does actually change ****!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So... um. You guys think this will.. ugh be out in the beginning of next year? Also.. ever wonder if Toon Link will return from mediocre handheldville to the console again? I know WW was easy..but god it was fun, you know?

Alzi

Smash Master
This game is Amazing..

I love some of the new items.

The bug reminds me of controlling a seagull like in Windwaker. The style of this game is like windwaker and tp fused together which is amazing to me.

I love it how Link can run alittle faster now then before.

Spire

III
BRoomer
There's literally only one thing bothering me with SS. The tree polygons are too low-res. Up the ante Ninty and you've got a perfect game.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So basically....

"OH MY GOD IT'S DIFFERENT! LARGE MUSHROOMS AND CARTOONY MONSTERS!?!? IT'S NOT THEY'VE DONE THAT IN MINISH CAP AND THE LATTER IN WIND WAKER!"

AND GET THE **** OVER CEL-SHADING. Son of a *****, people like this are the reason why Nintendo isn't aloud to experimant or change ****. Oh, what's this? Nintendo is putting out a new Zelda for the GC? OH MY GOD IT HAS DIFFERENT GRAPHICS UNLIKE OCARINA OF TIME YOU HAVE RUINED MY LIFE! Oh, you're going back to the realistic Zelda OH MY GOD YOU MESSED UP TWILIGHT PRINCESS FOR SOME BULL**** THAT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER TO NORMAL PEOPLE! I WANT TO PLAY OCARINA OF TIME! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT REAL FANS WANT! YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE GOOD GAMES ANYMORE!

GET THE **** OVER IT.. How about you crack you head against a rock to let all of that "IT HAZ TO BE LIKE OOT" bull**** out of your ****ing skull so that way you can actually let the rest of us appreciate whenever Nintendo does actually change ****!

ladies and gents? Scrubbish as this angry asplosion sounded, I do believe we just witnessed a case of Verbal Smackdown on his candy ***.

You say what a lot of us have wanted to say to naysayers or mr. negatives who think they're hot **** proclaiming, "Zelda is dead." But hey, it could also be trolling too. Whatever. You spoke my mind, though my way was politer. Win.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
There's literally only one thing bothering me with SS. The tree polygons are too low-res. Up the ante Ninty and you've got a perfect game.
This.

The environments remind me a lot of Worms 3d.

To me they don't look like the same art style as the sky and character/ enemy designs. Also, sword combat is looking promising after watching a 10 minute game demo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why are die-hard Zelda fans always the ones who complain the most about every new Zelda game?
Because it's an odd complex of wanting things to change but also wanting them to stay the same at the same time. :laugh: It's kind of like yesterday when I was talking about how Nintendo really needs to make an effort at voice acting in SS (which they said they would which is refreshing) and most people responded, "the characters have never talked before, why start now?"

The more I watch the trailer and think about Nintendo's conference the more I believe Nintendo's purposely trying to keep expectations for this game as low as possible. As other people have pointed out, the trailer didn't reveal all too much and ontop of that it was the first trailer shown with hardly any build up to it at all especially when you compare the Wind Waker's reveal in 2002 and Twilight Princess's in 2005.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
They never said they would implement voice acting, the question was if they were gonna make an effort implement orchestrated music AND/OR voice acting. They answered 'yes', which doesn't specify which at all. I really hope there will be no voice acting myself, though.

Top Bottom