• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
More stupid assumptions about the new Zelda game..

I don't see why the tiny minority of people who ripped at the game so far are getting so pissed about it. I'm digging the new art style, especially with the sky.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Wow, caps lock. I feel the heat now. Sorry, but I'm not going to get over it. Zelda is dead. We dont need another Cel-shaded artistic game, we needed a real game to show up, and apparently it isnt. The entire game looks like nothing more than Wind Waker again, except with crappier graphics. Being a prick wont help you feel better about the game, and it will only further my idea that this game is going to suck like the last four Zelda games.

RIP, Zelda. You will be missed.
Wow, you are really butthurt about this tiny little demo when the actual game is over a year away. I'm sure your purchase will be sorely missed. '<

it also looks nothing like Wind Waker. having a wide color pallette doesn't mean it looks like Wind Waker. It just doesn't look as muddy and boring as Twilight Princess.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The thing about a Majora's Mask sequel (or prequel) is that it would miss the mark. I thought Majora's Mask, in concept and in practice, was a totally forgettable villain. What made MM so great was the atmosphere and the real sense of doom that pervaded Termina.

Skyward Sword can accomplish this without directly connecting to Majora's Mask. The story already lends itself to that, with the ground world being shrouded in darkness and evil. They just need to apply the same kind of storytelling techniques used in MM to SS, that is, make it more character-based (and maybe even side-quest based) than the epic, sweeping narratives in OoT and TP.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
@Xyro
Sorry you're not a fan of the impressionist look the game has going. I don't particularly care what it looks like, but I can understand why. Hopefully you get what you're looking for in the years to come.

@Xonar
I disagree. I mean, just make a bunch of dungeons, make the computer AI intelligent and powerful, and then make strategies (how to beat bosses) less cookie-cutter obvious and harder to pull off. I really doubt the difficulty of doing this.

Listen, send me into Nintendo. I doesn't afraid of any task.
Ever designed a zelda game? XD

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I've seen all of that. I think SkyLoft actually has something to do with City in the Sky from TP. Speaking of which:

According to the article Spire posted, it seems SS may occur before OoT. Since Link descends into a kingdom ruled by evil (which is supposedly Hyrule) from the heavens, he is likely to be the first Link.

I never realized the true significance of this odd TP cutscene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXRBvXQO1w

What I have overlooked is that the dark interlopers invaded the Sacred Realm before OoT took place, not long after the goddesses created Hyrule. At this point in time, Hyrule seems to be ruled by evil, until the Light Spirits intervene, at a point in time in which it would make perfect sense for the very first Link to appear.

Could the events described in that cutscene have occured in SS?
Yeah, I posted this a couple of pages back and received no reply...

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice
Jabberwocky,
You're acting like they ruined it for everyone.
I just think they arent taking the franchise seriously anymore. I understand artistic perspective, but when the games gradually look worse and worse, then something is horribly wrong. I'd wager that this will be the last Zelda game to ever be made. You may mark these words and use them however you want. They are treating the series like they would a dying patient. They are trying their best to make the family of the patient feel comfortable until the family member finally passes on.

I dont care if you/I will enjoy this game or not. That seems irrelevant anymore. Nintendo wants this old horse to die.

etecoon

Smash Hero
dunno about "look worse and worse", skyward sword clearly looks better than WW or PH.

interesting theory about nintendo TRYING to kill zelda, as wrong as it is, it is an entertaining theory

"WHY ARE THEY STILL BUYING THIS!?!? WE MADE THEM USE WAGGLE TO OPEN DOORS LAST TIMEAOHFAOHFOAHF"

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I just think they arent taking the franchise seriously anymore. I understand artistic perspective, but when the games gradually look worse and worse, then something is horribly wrong. I'd wager that this will be the last Zelda game to ever be made. You may mark these words and use them however you want. They are treating the series like they would a dying patient. They are trying their best to make the family of the patient feel comfortable until the family member finally passes on.

I dont care if you/I will enjoy this game or not. That seems irrelevant anymore. Nintendo wants this old horse to die.
I think you're referring to the sort-of-awful graphics for the area in the tech demo that probably won't be included in the final game anyway. If you pay close attention, the 3-D model for Link is much smoother than the tech demo area. If you haven't noticed, the gameplay is incredible, and the story already links to TP (City in the Sky theory posted above). I don't think Miyamoto has given up on Zelda, and I don't think he ever will.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow, caps lock. I feel the heat now. Sorry, but I'm not going to get over it. Zelda is dead. We dont need another Cel-shaded artistic game, we needed a real game to show up, and apparently it isnt. The entire game looks like nothing more than Wind Waker again, except with crappier graphics. Being a prick wont help you feel better about the game, and it will only further my idea that this game is going to suck like the last four Zelda games.

RIP, Zelda. You will be missed.
So because the game doesn't look all SERIOUS this totally means that the game is going to suck balls?

... face, meet hand.

Also these two look nothing alike:

It's like saying that these guys look the same just because they're both from cel-shaded games:

So yeah, I'm glad that we can all agree that Ocarina of Time was a good game BUT STOP *****ING JUST BECAUSE THE GAME DOESN'T LOOK ALL SERIOUS LIKE IT DID. Am I the only one who remembers that Zelda is supposed to be about adventure and exploring? In other words: "fun?" Not "WE'RE DEAD SERIOUS HERE."

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well Miyamoto did say that if the 3DS is successful, he may just retire. If Miyamoto retires, Aonuma will take his place and another will take Aonuma's place. Zelda will continue, with or without Miyamoto.

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice
I think you're referring to the sort-of-awful graphics for the area in the tech demo that probably won't be included in the final game anyway. If you pay close attention, the 3-D model for Link is much smoother than the tech demo area. If you haven't noticed, the gameplay is incredible, and the story already links to TP (City in the Sky theory posted above). I don't think Miyamoto has given up on Zelda, and I don't think he ever will.
I'll tell you what: If they get rid of the paper-thin tree leaves and bushes, dispose of the Deku/octoroc hybrid, and get rid of the stupid eye-ball door, I'll eat my words. I like the look of Link's character, it is everything ELSE about it that I hate. But since they arent going to do that, this game will be atrocious.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Well Miyamoto did say that if the 3DS is successful, he may just retire. If Miyamoto retires, Aonuma will take his place and another will take Aonuma's place. Zelda will continue, with or without Miyamoto.
this is also an important note. zelda doesn't belong to miyamoto, zelda belongs to nintendo. zelda is highly profitable, it doesn't work that way. sakaguchi leaving square didn't stop them from continuing to make final fantasy games, ****, metroid's original creator DIED and that didn't stop nintendo <_<

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Jabber, you're saying the whole ****ing series is dead because of the art style (when most people disagree with you anyway). Are you even gonna take the actual gameplay into account? Story? All that other good stuff?

Some people probably didn't like WW's art style but I bet at least a few of them were able to adapt.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I'll tell you what: If they get rid of the paper-thin tree leaves and bushes, dispose of the Deku/octoroc hybrid, and get rid of the stupid eye-ball door, I'll eat my words. I like the look of Link's character, it is everything ELSE about it that I hate.
Eh, I can pretty much guarantee that all of this is just for the E3 tech demo. They can't show dark and serious parts of the game with an audience that is also expecting Wii Party.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I don't see why people hate TWW and it's cell shading. I thought it was incredible. The simplicity of the world made it feel so cool. And I would say that it was far more mature as a game than many other Zeldas. I'd say TWW > TP graphically. TP was unfinished and really poorly designed artistically. And TWW felt more lively because it had more than brown and dark green. But if you're going to cry because the game has more than 4 colors, okay. I'll be enjoying this game while you go play DKC or whatever.

Because OoT and MM had super realistic graphics that looked so mature, it's such a shame that TWW ruined that tradition. Oh, what's that? SS looks pretty much like OoT and MM? Huh.

I find it aggravating that people get so upset over graphics. Since when have video games been about looking realistic? Does Pacman look realistic to you? Does Mario look realistic to you? Donkey Kong? Okay, so those are different franchises. Since when did the Hookshot/Clawshot make sense? Elemental arrows (other than fire arrows)? Bugs that explode? Boomerangs that create tornadoes?

As for ST being the worst Zelda game, haha. Someone never played PH. ST had better/harder bosses than TP. The only bad thing about it really was the train.

:034:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
that'd be your fanboy, disagreeing and liking it is one thing, but it's certainly fathomable. there's tons of people that don't like WW's visuals, it's not like I'm saying anything unusual about it.

I don't see how this is aesthetically pleasing, tagging what xyro said, this really DOES look like a childs drawing, the water and sky are solidly ONE COLOR with no shading. I can appreciate something that looks like a drawing or painting that is professionally done, but not this

edit: phantom hourglass is the worst game in the canonical series by a mile IMO, spirit tracks is a massive massive improvement over it.
Good job choosing a horribly jpeg-artifact infested still image of Wind Waker. You're being intentionally deceptive to prove a point. WW looks gorgeous in motion, on a TV.

Jonas

Smash Champion

I dunno, they seemed pretty enthusiastic about SS at E3. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean Nintendo's actively trying to kill the franchise. Again, stop talking like everybody agrees with you.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
They still got more than a year to finish the models. If you look at the screenshots, it's quite easy to notice that things are still unfinished (like the owl).

etecoon

Smash Hero
Good job choosing a horribly jpeg-artifact infested still image of Wind Waker. You're being intentionally deceptive to prove a point. WW looks gorgeous in motion, on a TV.
intentionally? it's not like I uploaded the picture myself, random google image search. and no, WW does not look gorgeous, ever

I do have some hope for this game though, WW was inspired by...childs 8 color crayon drawings apparently. this coming from more of a painting influence has some potential

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Jabberwocky's anger is hilariously ridiculous.

Reminds me of couple pages before of somebody posting their nerd-rants.

Spire

III
BRoomer
They still got more than a year to finish the models. If you look at the screenshots, it's quite easy to notice that things are still unfinished (like the owl).
More than a year? They said they were working through the end of 2010. I'm guessing they'll release it on February 21st, the 25th anniversary of the franchise.

Also, stop being so spammy guys.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Xyro is approximately 7 years old.

@Spire. Oh, I thought they were releasing it in 2011, which I think means they're just gonna take their time, but in that case, they still got plenty of time.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
intentionally? it's not like I uploaded the picture myself, random google image search. and no, WW does not look gorgeous, ever

I do have some hope for this game though, WW was inspired by...childs 8 color crayon drawings apparently. this coming from more of a painting influence has some potential
Whether you found the image or not is beside the point. That's an ugly JPEG that makes the game look 5 times worse than it really does. The graphical style in WW is incredible. It looks really epic, IMO, like Samurai Jack or something.

@Spire. Oh, I thought they were releasing it in 2011, which I think means they're just gonna take their time, but in that case, they still got plenty of time.
I agree. They have at least six months to implement only a few more things and polish graphics.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Yes, but unless you're really dumb, you realize that a tiny little still image full of jpeg jaggies isn't representative of what the game looks like when you're playing it. WW has the prettiest weather/cloud/sky effects ever, imo. But it's no use arguing this any further.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Im not saying cell shade sucks(its worked for SEVERAL games) im just saying it makes a semi serious series(zelda) look like a childs coloring book and imo that degrades a large part of what zelda is.

I guess ive always thought that the pokemons and the Donkey Kongs were the kiddy type games while the zeldas and Metroids were the more serious type games.
So you're saying that you want Zelda games to be 100% serious? That would be extremely dull and boring. There is humor in many Zelda games. That humor makes it unique. Not only is it a great series with a great plot, but you expect to chuckle a couple times too. The humor is there to tone down the seriousness. There's also some cuteness there along with the humor. For example, the animals are pretty cute. The cel-shaded graphics were cute. Wind Waker was both cute, funny (Moblins, Tingle...), and serious. It's foolish to say that Wind Waker is like a kiddie game. Are you saying that the Shadow Temple was kiddie-like? Are saying that having to navigate unseen in the Foresaken Fortress was kiddie-like? So it was cute, funny, and serious, too. Everything balenced out. Yeah, sure. Wind Waker was a little cuter than the other games. So what? Wind Waker was like the comic relief of the Zelda series. Do you want every Zelda game to be the same? Even Ocarina of Time was humorous, and it was one of the greatest games of all time. Tallon was funny. He just kept on falling asleep. The Kakoriko workers were hilarious in the way that they ran.

What my point is is that Zelda games should not be all serious. The cuteness, humor, and seriousness make it a unique adventure game.

Also, "degrades a large part of what zelda is." Really? So you know what Zelda games should be more than the game designers? More than the man who created all of the characters? Whatever Nintendo does, they mean it. They aren't wrong in the way that they did things.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
So you're saying that you want Zelda games to be 100% serious? That would be extremely dull and boring. There is humor in many Zelda games. That humor makes it unique. Not only is it a great series with a great plot, but you expect to chuckle a couple times too. The humor is there to tone down the seriousness. There's also some cuteness there along with the humor. For example, the animals are pretty cute. The cel-shaded graphics were cute. Wind Waker was both cute, funny (Moblins, Tingle...), and serious. It's foolish to say that Wind Waker is like a kiddie game. Are you saying that the Shadow Temple was kiddie-like? Are saying that having to navigate unseen in the Foresaken Fortress was kiddie-like? So it was cute, funny, and serious, too. Everything balenced out. Yeah, sure. Wind Waker was a little cuter than the other games. So what? Wind Waker was like the comic relief of the Zelda series. Do you want every Zelda game to be the same? Even Ocarina of Time was humorous, and it was one of the greatest games of all time. Tallon was funny. He just kept on falling asleep. The Kakoriko workers were hilarious in the way that they ran.

What my point is is that Zelda games should not be all serious. The cuteness, humor, and seriousness make it a unique adventure game.

Also, "degrades a large part of what zelda is." Really? So you know what Zelda games should be more than the game designers? More than the man who created all of the characters? Whatever Nintendo does, they mean it. They aren't wrong in the way that they did things.

DID YOU READ any OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS??!?!?!!?!??! Go read them and then make a new response cause the one you just posted is a waste of your time since you didnt read my earlier posts.

Spire

III
BRoomer
So how about we stop debating over an 8 year old game's graphics and focus on what's really at hand now?

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
The AceLucario has a good point, though, Zelda isn't entirely serious. Just look at Tingle!

Although, the cel-shaded graphics were to add a somewhat cartoon-like depth to it, to make it look like a painting come to life, to make it more epic, not necessarily cute and funny. What I've noticed about the graphical style in Zelda is it always fits the game's setting. WW's cel look really blended well with the ocean setting, TP's dark, pseudo-realistic style perfectly fit the dark, twilight setting, and SS's bright, TP/WW style really adds a surrealistic depth to the sky setting.

Top Bottom